Author Topic: GS System Kickstarter; featuring the Touhou Project (CANCELLED)  (Read 10325 times)

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
Re: GS System Kickstarter; featuring the Touhou Project (FUNDED)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »
I'm glad this got shut down, pretty annoying to see someone just slap touhou on something and bring in wheelbarrows of cash before even producing anything.

Still, the demonstration that something like this can generate 24k in only three days should send the message that overseas licensing is something to take into serious consideration.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: GS System Kickstarter; featuring the Touhou Project (CANCELLED)
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2014, 03:37:55 AM »
That's what worries me, I don't want people thinking they can use touhou as a way to get rich quick.

This game was very much a venture focused on profit. Twenty bucks is full price for a commercial card game; it's not in the spirit of doujin at all.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:39 AM »
This game was very much a venture focused on profit. Twenty bucks is full price for a commercial card game; it's not in the spirit of doujin at all.

I can't really say much without looking at the costs going into making the cards, the playmats, etcetera but... Twenty bucks is actually really cheap for a stand-alone out of box card game (with 208 cards no less). I have in mind Dominion which is 35-40 bucks at least and only comes with cards, not even the other stuff.

I just feel like you'd be hard-pressed to see a similar product on sale for anything less than $20 bucks, doujin or no. I mean, how much would a Touhou playmat even sell for in Japan? I don't think it'd be cheaper than $10 bucks, that's for sure.

Mostly just playing devil's advocate here, as I fully support ZUN axeing the project. The more I think about it the more 'eh' I feel. That is certainly a lot of money put forward to make a simple card game, and it's not like they are required to list all their exact expenses either.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Moogs Parfait

• SPRING
  • Plz Send Naps
    • Danmaku!! Official Site
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2014, 04:37:39 AM »
I don't know what kind of deals the GS System team had with artists, but their proposed budget was not outrageously high.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 07:40:26 AM »
I just feel like you'd be hard-pressed to see a similar product on sale for anything less than $20 bucks, doujin or no. I mean, how much would a Touhou playmat even sell for in Japan? I don't think it'd be cheaper than $10 bucks, that's for sure.
Playmats through doujin circles over here run from 2000-3000 yen, so roughly $30 max.

I think one of the reasons why it was so successful is because there hasn't been any sort of halfway-legit outlet for Touhou stuff outside of services like mine (and even then it'd all be in Japanese), so the market's starved. But given the unique circumstances, it's been very hard to fulfill that need.

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »
sad to see this happen
but as Nobu said at least we get to see the how huge touhou fandom is
If a doujin card game marker said it's not then it's not |OwO>
been lurking on your post for a while keep up the work

Hope the overseas licensing goes well

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
Seeing the comments here on this sudden change does please me a fair bit. You all have valid points, and reasons behind them.

The fact that they've managed to communicate with ZUN is at least something they can take from this. After all, the project may have been stopped, but I don't see them just plain giving up on this. And if it turns out that ZUN didn't have a problem with the game, just the way it was being funded, then I can see this game in the future for sure.

As far as the get rich idea, I honestly don't think they had that part in mind. Sure, lots of people pledged, but as some of you have said, that's just our fanbase showing the excitement of playing a physical Touhou Card Game in English. Would they aim to make a profit on it? With the GS System featuring original content, maybe. With it being with something that is copyrighted for like Touhou, no; especially when they know about the rules ZUN laid down in the first place. Which is likely why ZUN frowned at the idea of his content being funded by people in something he had no control over.

However, it does bring more attention to overseas. That was likely to be part of their plan in the first place; whether it succeeded or not. It's quite hard to think if they truly were in the wrong or not. One could say they should have got word from ZUN before booting it up; but at the same time, they probably wanted to get something moving if they thought an answer was never going to come. So some patience would have been nice; but they would have kept asking themselves 'would he have ever got in touch if we didn't put it up to begin with?' Not sure on that answer, in all fairness.

But still, props to them for trying; and certainly getting a lot of people excited for it. Heck, they made sure to take on opinions and feedback where possible; and have been updating every night since it started. Even with this cancellation, I can't see this game going away for good. And price wise, it's about ?11 here in the UK from the $20 they were asking for. Certainly cheaper than most card game decks for sure; and more so when you think that this system wouldn't have booster packs to buy with it. So for me, the value is good.

So yeah, sad to see it go; but at the same, I understand completely why ZUN wanted it down. Thanks for chipping in everyone as well; and hope I don't start any arguments and what not. ^^