Author Topic: Your Touhou Bad Habits  (Read 30623 times)

Re: Your Touhou Bad Habits
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »
I swear that Earth Light Ray is harder on normal than the lunatic version, and am confused as to how people have trouble with Stardust Reverie (I position myself at the beginning and have to make one or two slight adjustments...I'm mostly stationary during that card).
Earth Light Ray?  Blah.   :derp:

Edit: Link fail.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:06:21 PM by SUPREME★ボガス »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
Nope. I can dodge this, I don't need to bo-dammit.
Nope. I can dodge this, I don't need t-DAMMIT.
Very much this. The main difference between my usual runs and the runs where I finally 1cc something lies soleley in the doubled (or even tripled) amount of bomb use during the latter compared to the former.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
"Okay, dodged that bullet, OH GOD ANOTHER ONE!"
*Backs into the bullet I just dodged*

In DS, I charge into the boss doing suicide pictures for high scores. It works... most of the time. Aya wasn't too happy about those.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2010, 02:25:30 AM »
I got a horrible habit of doing a great attempt at a  1cc then I decide that my hair or my face itches in a spellcard. Or that I decide that something around me is much more interesting than streaming whatever is coming.  There goes a life with 3 bombs.

ebarrett

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »
Here's another one:

I actually try to beat lunatic Shikieiki in match mode with non-broken characters  :ohdear:

kaguya_hime

• 気分上々々
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Always can't help bombing when I was not dong very great+1 :ohdear:

MOTHERfan42

• That Guy With The Face
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 12:52:31 AM »
Dying to the first boss, despite knowing her spellcards forwards and backwards
Resting my left hand during the beginning of a level and positioning my hand so I accidentally hit the bomb key
Talking to my computer monitor when I'm in a tight spot "PATCHY, STOP BEING SUCH A BITCH!!!"
Talking to my computer monitor when I'm in a tight spot (this time in Spanish)
Ego issues "Oh yeah, I'm kicking ass, taking names, final level, WHAT THE CRAP DO YOU MEAN I LOST ALL 5 OF MY LIVES!?!?!?!"

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »
I have PoC obsession, and also the tendency  to crash at stuff at point blank since I went up to far or something...

Sometimes, my fingers just won't let go in that direction, and CRASH.  Ragequit.

May be that's why I'm still a Normal player, this happens ALOT on hard mode right now.

Captain Onimaru

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 04:15:22 AM »
I think my worst habit in Touhou is getting stuck on the same game.
I've played 6-8 innumerable times and barely even touched UFO and the newer ones in comparison.

I also have a nasty habit of dancing around slower moving bullet patterns for some reason. Sure it gives more graze points, but it has messed me up countless times.

Feather Black

• Vehement Scornful Youkai
  • Plume Noire
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2010, 04:39:38 PM »
My biggest weak spot is probably a lack of concentration because I was too fascinated by the Spell Card's background or wached the ennemy's life for just a second... Also, I do stupid moves with Marisa just because she has a weak attack range. This is not the same with Reimu (which has a small hitbox and is slower) whan I may progress further.

Napalnman1231

• Is that so~?
  • Nice Farming weather!
    • My gallery art
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »
I tend to not watch the Danmaku coming from the sides, and I lack of concentration sometimes in Wide screen spell cards and Crossfire
I Really HATE CROSS FIRE

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
1. PoCing at less than full power in EoSD (probably other games/characters that don't allow this)
2. Overconfidence. I try to collect cards I have trouble with when I have three bombs left, and end up losing lives with bombs on it.
3. Conversely, lazy/nervousbombing against cards I might have been able to collect.  I need to find the compromise between 2 and 3.
4. Blank screen with a bunch of point and power boxes on it.  *death* oops, there was one bullet hiding among the point boxes.

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
Oh yes, a major problem I have is always repositioning my hand. Cause my hand barely moves (just my fingers), and I'm on a glass surface, after playing a Touhou game my hands are frozen (like, literally) until I warm them up by typing/playing piano :V

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 01:53:36 AM »
I have problems dealing with the fact that most of my deaths involve collisions with the enemy or collisions with bullets that aren't moving.
That, and lasers. I have bad experience with lasers.

Zoey plays with her index on Z, and she wonders why she can't beat Marisa.

Fujiwara no Tobi

• Immortal Idiot
  • BURN, BABY, BURN!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »
I usually gert too cocky when a single small bullet is on teh screen and I tend to spin around it to much. I tend to spin around everything slow like "COME ON, STEP IT U- *dies*"
Or on PoFV, when playing Sakuya I don't do the Level 4 Bomb, I do a Level 3 and Level 2 Bomb. :X (cuz it looks cool xD)
And i tend to not bomb when Imin danger. my brain works like this everytime: "Saving you a life with bombing is good but saving bombs by living is better"
>-<
Love or hate? Blaze it out now!

boke

• ボケ
  • ゆっくりした結果がこれだよ
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
And i tend to not bomb when Imin danger. my brain works like this everytime: "Saving you a life with bombing is good but saving bombs by living is better"
>-<
Exactly.  Ultimately I think it's just knowing yourself and your limitations.  And it's better to push yourself and actually learn in practice mode, only do it in story when you know you've got surplus.  But I've found that lately I'm better at recognizing when I'm about to get actually trapped, as opposed to just a tricky danmaku that I'd rather bomb through.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:48 AM »
My finger has developed a mind on it's own.
It will bomb when I deem it dangerous yet unnessecary, because it hates me.

Geoodees

• The Swedish Fish
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
I tend to think to myself "Hey! This isn't hard at all! Should be a piece of cake to clear this!" on stage 2. And I still wonder why I get surprise on stage 4-5.

And the usual bombing, PoC and grazing problems. Even if I've gotten better.

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
My downfalls are basically caused by a collaboration of a majority of the above.

Main causes:
-Distraction (be it an MSN message or someone walking into my room).
-Bolting up constantly to get to the collection line. Then bolting into a bullet and/or enemy.
-Not bombing enough.

Other causes:
-Singular stray bullets that my eye misses then I coincidentally fly STRAIGHT into it.
-Panic attacks
-Bombing so much to the point I have none left at a vital time.

And I absolutely HATE it when you see you're about to die, you hit the bomb button but then you realize the boss is already exploding and the bullet never even gets to you. I go on an absolute rampage over wasted bombs and I do not know why xD

« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »
I have a horrible tendency to stop tracking bullets once I'm located above them. Guess what happens when I retreat downwards?

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
Stuff I say before I die.

"I can totally scratch my nose before any bullets get too close..."
"I can totally have another bite of my sandwich before any bullets get too close..."
"A RED UFO PIECE?!?!"
"Look at this nice background!"
"This pattern is pretty!"
"I want too graze that!"

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Stuff I say before I die.

"A RED UFO PIECE?!?!"
"I want to graze that!"
Whoa, deja vu. It's like a list of stuff I'm trying to to when my eyes stop tracking the stuff below me.

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
Or on PoFV, when playing Sakuya I don't do the Level 4 Bomb, I do a Level 3 and Level 2 Bomb. :X (cuz it looks cool xD)

This is good. You never need to use more than a l2 spellcard in PoFV. In fact, as the game goes on, using a L3/4 will actually hurt you, because the extra charge time leaves you vulnerable to bullets you could be clearing instantly with a L2.

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
My bad habit: I tend to go to left, even when goign right is better.

YummyLychee

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
-I always get overconfident at Icicle Fall easy and end up dying

-In IN, whenever i go above the PoC to collect items, a boss manages to crash into me

-I tend to stream the wrong way and then i get forced to the side of the screen

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
  • Identified Romantic Flyer
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
POC!!  I always need to use the POC...  I also have dodged into a bullet that I could have dodged by sitting still, numerous times.  I've ALSO recently found the need to always get in enemies faces and attack them before they set off a spell.  This has killed me a couple of times.... in embarrassing ways.  I blame the fact that I started using Marisa.  [It feels so good to be in their faces like that...]
[img width= height=]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8426/sig1xu.jpg[/img]

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »
I think my problem is that I don't play enough Touhou anymore... Always try to go after 1cc attempts on a whim, always end up wasting a day or so raging at failed attempts. Oddly enough, this works for me anyway. :/

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
I GO TO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN TO COLLECT WHILE CTRL-ING THE TEXT AND AAAHHHH KICKED AGAIN

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:24 PM »
Oh, and I thought of a new one - I conciously insist on learning how to capture patterns rather than using resource management to bomb all the dangerous ones to clear the game. It does have a good side, though - all my first 1cc/clears are much higher in score than many others first 1cc/clears. Heck, both my 5-intiail-lives first "1cc" on hard EoSD and PCB beats many 3-intial-lives first 1ccs, and it continuously amazes me how people can manage to get sub-400m scores on Phantasm clears.

Dory

• Oh look! An engineer!
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2010, 10:32:28 PM »
tak tak tak tak tak trrrraaaa- pichuuuun!

In SA I always try to get items by grazing some streams of bullets or a lazer. and when the stuffs comes I'm often too happy to realize that I'm still streaming.
Touhou wiki has moved: http://en.touhouwiki.net