Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2  (Read 222360 times)

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou discussion thread #2
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
From here

#
ATB bar is 10000pts
#
Every battle tick increases it by 50 + sqrt(200*spd - 17500)
#
>10000 = turn, if multiple >10000, order goes from left->right on allies, then enemies
#

#
thus, 200spd is 2x as fast as 100, 300 is ~2.5x, 400 is 3x, etc

Using these details and CE, you *could* trial and error out all the delays for the various character's actions.

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
On the subject of a certain frail trash killer, she's GREAT for bosses. She is best used by being kept in reserve, and buffed using
Spoiler:
Ran
to bring out for a suicide nuke. Her first spell is recommended unless the enemy has a weakness to fire. She even does well staying on the front row in the rightmost slot doing the same thing for as long as she lasts.

She is so much better once you EXPECT her to die, and any prolonged life is merely a bonus. It's reckless, but 400,000-to 10,000,000 (depends on where you are) free damage is niiiice, especially for bypassing a given boss's pissed phase.

Suikaismaiwaifu

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
Should I fight
Spoiler:
Yuyuko or Mokou
first (lv 63 Reimu), because outside of her opening attack, she doesn't seem as bad as
Spoiler:
Mokou
. I can just use equipment to withstand her Death inflictions. Or does she have ridiculous HP that requires me to grind more?

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
You could handle the former about now, but the latter is rather dangerous. The former can use that opener semi-freely.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »
Mapped 23F out.  That was fun.

24F...gimmick here seems cute.  Yay colored switches with no number indication on them and I have to figure it all out by trial and error?

At least the new battle music is pure awesome.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Milkyway64

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »
Mapped 23F out.  That was fun.

24F...gimmick here seems cute.  Yay colored switches with no number indication on them and I have to figure it all out by trial and error?

At least the new battle music is pure awesome.

Red = one, green = 2, blue = 4. Altogether they make a maximum of 7. I'm not sure on the colors, but this should give you a general idea. There are gates right by them to experiment with.

Matsuri

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
All right, after seeing that the last thread got 1000 posts so fast, I figured this must be worth looking into. I already got everything set up, and it's just like Etrian Odyssey, which I'm rather excited to see.

Anyway, can someone give me some basic tips and pointers on how to start off properly? I did a quick playthrough of 1F and got my ass kicked rather fast-- and I don't really feel like reading 37 pages worth of posts just to get tips on how to start ^^;
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:49:23 PM by Matsuri »

Suikaismaiwaifu

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
I have to say, for such a simple game, this is very fun and well made. Just goes to show why I love doujin games so much. I hope they plan to expand this; maybe Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (there are certainly enough characters for it).

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
All right, after seeing that the last thread got 1000 posts so fast, I figured this must be worth looking into. I already got everything set up, and it's just like Etrian Odyssey, which I'm rather excited to see.

Anyway, can someone give me some basic tips and pointers on how to start off properly? I did a quick playthrough of 1F and got my ass kicked rather fast. ^^;
Okay. For starters, the Attack command is pathetically weak and only good for finishing off something nearly dead.  Use skills. Characters in reserve or using Focus will recover some SP, and when your party is getting weak, return to Gensokyo. Also, never, EVER run into a purple face event without saving first, the bosses are not easy unless you overlevel.

The bonuses you get when you level up, or spend skillpoints on something, are a % bonus. So, you want to concentrate on a characters better stats; for lvl-up bonuses, just stick with their most important stat. With skill points you can share the love on all the stats, but... a character's better stats are still most important.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Matsuri

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
Yeah, learned the purple-face thing the hard way. Meiling ruined me :(

All right then, good to know. I wondered why attacks were hopelessly weak.

If skills are the way to go, is it best to keep leveling up SP instead of other stuff? Also, what is TP?

Milkyway64

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »

Anyway, can someone give me some basic tips and pointers on how to start off properly? I did a quick playthrough of 1F and got my ass kicked rather fast-- and I don't really feel like reading 37 pages worth of posts just to get tips on how to start ^^;

Take your time. Take baby steps. Go back to Gensokyo the moment things look even a little hairy, and try to explore the entire map before attempting bosses to assure you're up to speed.

Second, don't be afraid to devote time to leveling. You don't need to do this hardcore until much later, but small 1 or 2 "back to gensokyo" trips worth at a time should do for now.

Third, use strategy. There are very few things a proper team structure can't do. Put your tanks in the leftmost slot, and keep your more frail ones on the right. Rotate members out to take advantage of their uses. AVOID THE EVADE STAT, IT DOES NOT WORK. And above all, it isn't over until it is over. Don't ever lose hope over 3 of your 12 man party getting rolled. Try until the very last strike. This game has a habit of forcing very close calls on you.

Suikaismaiwaifu

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

Probably the most important thing to know is BUFF AND DEBUFF! Pretty much every boss battle relies on your ability to buff and debuff. Don't expect to win just because you have characters with high HP and can deal damage. Even if you over level, debuffs and buffs are critical in every boss fight past floor 2.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
And no, don't spend level-up bonuses on SP. Its not worth it, and you'll have plenty of SP after you get some more characters. With level-up bonuses, I'd recommend to just stick completely to one stat on a character, their most important. For most characters this is either ATK or MAG, but on the big tanks of the game, you might go for HP/DEF/MND (depending on who it is.)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Milkyway64

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
TP is a character's "motivation." It determines how long that character can last in the dungeon. You finish battles and lose TP depending on your remaining HP. Run out of TP, the character leaves, which is similiar to them dying. They'll be with you again on your next trip in.

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
I got 100 items on my game but I'm not getting the star for it. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »
I got 100 items on my game but I'm not getting the star for it. Does anyone know what's wrong?
Beat the final boss again and the star will trigger.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »
Red = one, green = 2, blue = 4. Altogether they make a maximum of 7. I'm not sure on the colors, but this should give you a general idea. There are gates right by them to experiment with.
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case after testing the red crystal, going through what I assumed correctly opened up, ran into the Tearose Sigil guardian on complete accident, and promptly got my ass handed to me.

But anyways, mapped out what I could on 24F, went to 25F, mapped what I could, now at a point where it looks like I need to grind to proceed due to their being 4 magic circles all requiring a Sigil Guardian to be defeated.

Wonder which Sigil Guardian is the easiest to take out first (If anything at this point can be considered easy  ;D).
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »
What am I suppose to do after I unseal mari? Am I suppose to beat her? Am I suppose to be level 250?

Milkyway64

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case after testing the red crystal, going through what I assumed correctly opened up, ran into the Tearose Sigil guardian on complete accident, and promptly got my ass handed to me.

But anyways, mapped out what I could on 24F, went to 25F, mapped what I could, now at a point where it looks like I need to grind to proceed due to their being 4 magic circles all requiring a Sigil Guardian to be defeated.

Wonder which Sigil Guardian is the easiest to take out first (If anything at this point can be considered easy  ;D).

I suggest the one on floor 22 first, floor 25 second, and burninator/baal avatar last. Grind floor 25 until you beat all of them, I forget which one goes onward.

Suikaismaiwaifu

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 08:24:48 PM »
Is Tenshi worth it? I haven't put her in my party because, despite her high DEF and MND, her HP isn't high and her attacks aren't all that damaging. I find Komachi and Remilia to be better tanks and I hear that later on there are a lot of enemies and bosses that have DEF / MND piercing attacks.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:22 PM »
Does someone know if there is a way to make it easier to collect the 100 items on the first 10 pages? I mean, I was trying to do it to get my third star, but it's extremely hard to get the drops from the enemies even in the earlier floors. Is there not some kind of equipment that raises your luck, or something similar?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Milkyway64

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
Is Tenshi worth it? I haven't put her in my party because, despite her high DEF and MND, her HP isn't high and her attacks aren't all that damaging. I find Komachi and Remilia to be better tanks and I hear that later on there are a lot of enemies and bosses that have DEF / MND piercing attacks.

Honestly, I never did see very many of those attacks.
Spoiler:
later game tank with low HP >_>
is an excellent tank throughout it seems, even if I dropped her past floor 22.

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
And no, don't spend level-up bonuses on SP. Its not worth it, and you'll have plenty of SP after you get some more characters.
I'm not so sure I agree on this. Some characters like Chen and Youmu really need the SP boost due to their own terrible SP growths, not to mention more SP generally = being able to stay out longer in boss fights before having to be benched. This is important for characters like Ran, who are pretty much there entirely to use their buffs whenever they're currently in the active party.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
I'm not so sure I agree on this. Some characters like Chen and Youmu really need the SP boost due to their own terrible SP growths, not to mention more SP generally = being able to stay out longer in boss fights before having to be benched. This is important for characters like Ran, who are pretty much there entirely to use their buffs whenever they're currently in the active party.
The thing is, if they have a terrible SP growth, then the SP boost will also be quite terrible. You'll have better results boosting a different stat.

And with your example of Chen; around the time bosses are quite tough, you'll often be switching Chen out before she runs out of SP anyway... and at the final boss, with no SP boost aside from skill points she'll have enough to Idaten spam with 2 supplementary kimontonkous thrown in before she switches out.

Its a possible choice for Ran, yes, but with basically everyone else it's simply not worth it.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
How do you kill the terrigam thing for mari v2?

Milkyway64

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
How do you kill the terrigam thing for mari v2?

You nuke it once it loses it's invulnerability. Simple.

Now stop revealing names. Not all of us are to that point.

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »
How do you know when it loses invulnerability?

Milkyway64

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »
I think it's after the first Rankain. If you are unsure, just throw an attack at it anyway. See if numbers show up. If they do, pull out the big guns you've been saving.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 02:18:55 AM »
WEWT!
Spoiler:
I beat Yukari! I slipped up a few times and things were looking baaaad, but then I pull out Flandre, I have her use Starbow Break JUST before Yukari gets a turn and kills me, Starbow dealt around 56k or so, winning the fight :toot:, reducing me to insanly histaricle laughter as well as tears of happiness ;D I also got her drop :) Now for the boss on 18F... once I get their:P

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 02:20:35 AM »
Thanks a lot Milky. I managed to take her down with Reimu at level 226. Pretty happy about it. It's been a long time since I've played a game where I end up being satisfied with killing a boss.