Author Topic: Touhou "_______"; Luminous Wings of Cold Steel  (Read 49768 times)

Redmark

Re: Touhou and Starfighters!?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 03:08:56 AM »
oh so you know each other outside of Touhou? that makes things more plausible, I guess  :V

Alrisandre Margaletrisame

• The Raving Puppet
  • Protector of the Mercatian Border Enchuridion
Re: Touhou "_______"; Luminous Wings of Cold Steel
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
First post edited!

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »
hmm. this would be pretty sweet if anything comes out of it, but yeah. you're thinking big, but actually putting this into action is gonna be an uphill struggle by the looks of things. good luck though :)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »
Why are you talking to yourself?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
Actually, we have no experience with programming of any sort.

Sorry chief but I can guarantee you this is a pipe dream.

Start small. Make a 2D shmup with like three playable characters and five stages, or maybe a ten hour RPG or something. When you start to grasp the outrageous amount of work involved in making a game of just that size, you'll start to understand just how absurd the plans laid out for this thing look.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »
To echo Stuffman here. Just planning for a single RP session (like scripting, making tokens, setting up the map, making npcs) is helluva lot of work already.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »
Is that a playable Flandre I see? I approve already!

Letty Whiterock

Re: Touhou and Starfighters!?
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
Actually, we have no experience with programming of any sort. Well, I do have a miniscule knowledge of html, and had programmed a bunch of stuff in "Furcadia", so it might be easier for me to pick it up than the rest of our team, but in the long run, we haven't done anything so serious as this.
How are you guys expecting to create some grand-scale game with absolutely no experience in coding outside of basic website creation and what I assume is probably .FOX file editing in Furcadia (which I would venture to guess doesn't even come close to something like a "global" shape referencing system)? Unless you guys can hire a team of people with extensive programming knowledge or are willing to invest a large amount of time and will into learning the required coding skill, this will go absolutely nowhere, no matter how much you believe "if she says she's going to make something happen, she makes it happen."

I hope you can understand our skepticism. There is discussion of a game being created in CPMC via danmakufu, and it's taking quite a while to bring together, and hell, that game already has an engine. Considering you guys are making a Touhou fan-game from scratch, you'll need to make a brand new engine to build the game around, and given what you two have said, I have more faith in the return of Mima than I do in your game.

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »
Hehe, I fully understand the skepticism, and expected to encounter a large amount of it, but I assure you that it won't slow me down any. However, if I may be so bold as to ask that everyone veer from stating the obvious "It's going to take forever" variants, and try giving suggestions on things that could help, such as examples (as in Letty's URL in above post), or places to go and get further information. I'm devoted to this project all the way, and even in just these past two weeks have picked up on a multitude of things. I have a few books coming in the mail that hopefully will also help. Kit and I are more than willing to learn everything possible to make this happen, after all, we do have a studio that intends to release games, so what good would that be if we didn't intend to learn on the subject, right?

Also! First post edited again! And Kit has several vehicle designs completed already! My favorite is Patchouli's Ampersand. X3

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 09:39:09 PM »
Is that a playable Flandre I see? I approve already!

Yesh yesh! She's an unlockable character! (We hope to feature ALL characters as unlockable, but they won't necessarily be usable in Story Mode. Flandre does have story mode though!)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:05 PM »
It's going to take forever.

A lot of games start out with the creators having great enthusiasm and high morale, but fizzle out in the end. Regardless, if you're so determined to take this on as a viable project (har har har), would you like this topic to be moved over to Rika's Garage, where other Touhou fangames are made, and where people who know their stuff can help you out?

Also, if there is no playable Shikieiki, there will be bloodshed. Not that I expect you'll get that far. Prove me wrong.

Edible

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
No, really.  I'm genuinely interested in why you're portraying yourself as two people, then holding a conversation with yourself.

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »
It's going to take forever.

A lot of games start out with the creators having great enthusiasm and high morale, but fizzle out in the end. Regardless, if you're so determined to take this on as a viable project (har har har), would you like this topic to be moved over to Rika's Garage, where other Touhou fangames are made, and where people who know their stuff can help you out?

Also, if there is no playable Shikieiki, there will be bloodshed. Not that I expect you'll get that far. Prove me wrong.

Yesh please, I wasn't sure if I could put it there yet, because Kit told me to put it there in the first place... I didn't quite have enough worked out, so I posted it here as a concept first.

(Shikieiki added to list! Thanks!)

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »
No, really.  I'm genuinely interested in why you're portraying yourself as two people, then holding a conversation with yourself.

Who's doing what? Did I miss something?

Letty Whiterock

Edible

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Same IP, same post time history, same logon time history, etc. :v

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
I've been here too long. I momentarily parsed "IP" as "Idiot Princess."

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »
Perhaps I can give you a suggestion for this grand project.

If you're planning to make game with ease, try out Microsoft XNA Framework. What you need are, a decent PC with 2GB of RAM or more, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 (I recommend MS Visual Studio 2008), Microsoft XNA Framework (You can download it for free from Microsoft website), basic knowledge of C# programming language, and knowledge of game's structure and mechanism.

What are the advantages of XNA?
- Easy to understand
- A lot of common game classes already included and ready to use
- Fully compatible with DirectX API (No need to define DirectX object manually since most of them already encapsulated into many useful classes)
- You can compile your game both for Windows and XBOX 360 platform (You need XDK license to publish it for XBOX 360)

Out of all skepticism, I believe you can learn C# in no time since there are so many free online resources available. The question is, how deep is your knowledge in game's structure and mechanism?

FYI: I have some knowledges and experiences in game development. Personally I'd prefer C++ but, that will be a lot of troubles for you to learn C++ in short time. Another option for your game is using Java and Slick framework. Slick framework also easy to use and implement but, it maybe didn't support DirectX.

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »

Explanation:

We use the same computers.
We have the same approximate time to log on. I go to school, he has work.

We can log on using one computer by using two different browsers. I prefer IE, while he uses FireFox. This way I can edit the first post here, while he hovers over my shoulder (slightly irritating, but the comp access situation kinda demands it.) if he thinks of something to post, he takes over the comp for a second, but he doesn't have to log me out because we use the two browsers.

If you absolutely MUST have photographical evidence that we are indeed two individuals, (which will be a royal pain in the ass trying to get Kit into a picture, so you better pay me well!) I can attempt to acquire one.

Perhaps I can give you a suggestion for this grand project.

If you're planning to make game with ease, try out Microsoft XNA Framework. What you need are, a decent PC with 2GB of RAM or more, Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 (I recommend MS Visual Studio 2008), Microsoft XNA Framework (You can download it for free from Microsoft website), basic knowledge of C# programming language, and knowledge of game's structure and mechanism.

What are the advantages of XNA?
- Easy to understand
- A lot of common game classes already included and ready to use
- Fully compatible with DirectX API (No need to define DirectX object manually since most of them already encapsulated into many useful classes)
- You can compile your game both for Windows and XBOX 360 platform (You need XDK license to publish it for XBOX 360)

Out of all skepticism, I believe you can learn C# in no time since there are so many free online resources available. The question is, how deep is your knowledge in game's structure and mechanism?

FYI: I have some knowledges and experiences in game development. Personally I'd prefer C++ but, that will be a lot of troubles for you to learn C++ in short time. Another option for your game is using Java and Slick framework. Slick framework also easy to use and implement but, it maybe didn't support DirectX.

Now THIS is the stuff I need! Kit's friend and his stepdad told him to try looking for C++ resources... we misinterpreted that as CSS, resulting in a waste of time trying to figure out how a cascading style sheet for websites could possibly be relevant to a game. If you also recommend C++, then I think that would be our best bet, after all, we don't have a deadline, per se, and we want quality in (Correction, I want quality. Kit doesn't care either way as long as it's fun to put together and fun for others to play.) in Luminous Wings of Cold Steel.

So. Microsoft.com, and look for the XNA Framework software... MS Vis Studio '08... C# and C++.
Am I safe to assume that the free download is just a trial version? and that MS Vis Studio is also purchasable?

... Not much knowledge about game structures and mechanisms, but I've got a vague idea of the various limitations... possibly. lol. I'm also aiming to try an break boundaries in some places.

Also, would I be able to reference you with questions in the future as I learn C# and C++, or with other things that might come up?

Furthermore, how would we acquire this XDK license, and would it allow us to actually produce an XBOX title that is purchased and put into the console? If so, that would be AWESOME! Then I could actually try and implement a few of my other ideas, like the dual-joystick movement field and manual camera control! (Console-only special feature!) ((Even if it's just a 'downloadable' thing, it would still be cool to see Luminous Wings of Cold Steel on a console! Yay for a Touhou console release attempt!))

Edit: Kit says Hi. He remembers you from before... something about a previous MotK project? He wasn't involved, but he kept close track of the goings-on, he says.

Edit2: Just curiously, what would Luminous Wings of Cold Steel have as a title in japanese? That's why there's a blank in the title... ehe. There's "Touhou Hisoutensoku", and stuff, and I was just wondering what the title for this one would be.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »
東方不可能 (Touhou Bukokuyoshi) ~ Luminous Wings of Cold Steel
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:45:00 PM by Letty Whiterock »

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 12:39:38 AM »
Now THIS is the stuff I need! Kit's friend and his stepdad told him to try looking for C++ resources... we misinterpreted that as CSS, resulting in a waste of time trying to figure out how a cascading style sheet for websites could possibly be relevant to a game. If you also recommend C++, then I think that would be our best bet, after all, we don't have a deadline, per se, and we want quality in (Correction, I want quality. Kit doesn't care either way as long as it's fun to put together and fun for others to play.) in Luminous Wings of Cold Steel.

So. Microsoft.com, and look for the XNA Framework software... MS Vis Studio '08... C# and C++.
Am I safe to assume that the free download is just a trial version? and that MS Vis Studio is also purchasable?

... Not much knowledge about game structures and mechanisms, but I've got a vague idea of the various limitations... possibly. lol. I'm also aiming to try an break boundaries in some places.

Also, would I be able to reference you with questions in the future as I learn C# and C++, or with other things that might come up?

Furthermore, how would we acquire this XDK license, and would it allow us to actually produce an XBOX title that is purchased and put into the console? If so, that would be AWESOME! Then I could actually try and implement a few of my other ideas, like the dual-joystick movement field and manual camera control! (Console-only special feature!) ((Even if it's just a 'downloadable' thing, it would still be cool to see Luminous Wings of Cold Steel on a console! Yay for a Touhou console release attempt!))

Here is the price list for MS Visual Studio:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/howtobuy/default.mspx
I'm always using Professional Edition so, I don't really know the differences between each edition in detail.

You can ask me about C#, but I suggest you to join XNA Developer community. You can find a lot of resources there.

For XNA resources and information, check it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791.aspx

Don't mix up C# and C++. Those are two different languages. For the beginner, C# will be easier to learn, in other hand C++ provides great flexibilities over pointer and memory manipulation. If you're going to use XNA, then you should use C# (although you can also use Visual Basic). In the end, whatever language that you'll use, your code will be compiled into same assembly because of .NET compiler technology.

XNA provide button mapping for XBOX 360 controller even if your game build for Windows. You can build identical game for Windows and XBOX 360, you just need to add keyboard and mouse (optional) input listener class for Windows version.

Edible

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:09 AM »
Or you're just the same person.  I mean, we won't laugh at you for being the only person on your project.  It just means you're more ambitious than you're letting on.

Edible

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 02:21:49 AM »
Oh, and don't underestimate my ability to stalk the hell out of anyone on the internet.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/chatterbox/quest-assistance-please/t.37504783_1/

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 02:41:08 AM »
東方不可能 (Touhou Bukokuyoshi)
what

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »
東方不可能 (Touhou Bukokuyoshi)
Ughh...

If the name like that, I guessed no one can realize this project.

Edit: 不可能 should be read as Bukanou
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:38:01 AM by Alice »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »
Edit: 不可能 should be read as Bukanou
Fukanou, actually. It's a joke. It's an alternate reading that makes the title seem less like what it's supposed to be.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
東方不可能

That's so cute of you Letty

• The Raving Puppet
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
Here is the price list for MS Visual Studio:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/howtobuy/default.mspx
I'm always using Professional Edition so, I don't really know the differences between each edition in detail.

You can ask me about C#, but I suggest you to join XNA Developer community. You can find a lot of resources there.

For XNA resources and information, check it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa937791.aspx

Don't mix up C# and C++. Those are two different languages. For the beginner, C# will be easier to learn, in other hand C++ provides great flexibilities over pointer and memory manipulation. If you're going to use XNA, then you should use C# (although you can also use Visual Basic). In the end, whatever language that you'll use, your code will be compiled into same assembly because of .NET compiler technology.

Okay! This post has been mentally marked for future reference. lol.

XNA provide button mapping for XBOX 360 controller even if your game build for Windows. You can build identical game for Windows and XBOX 360, you just need to add keyboard and mouse (optional) input listener class for Windows version.
I think I see? I could have it so that manual camera control is set to the mouse, but will still automatically follow the normal flight path when left alone for a moment, but then that brings up the problem of 3-D movement... I could use arrow keys in conjuntion with A,S,D,W directionalities? Q and E could firing options?

Kitaen Silva

• SNOWBALLED
  • Motivate yourself to make that fake game.
    • Retro Fox Studios Online
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 05:54:24 PM »
Or you're just the same person.  I mean, we won't laugh at you for being the only person on your project.  It just means you're more ambitious than you're letting on.

-comptheft-

Does the Edible find the idea of two Touhou fans being (kinda) under the same roof and having a single computer to use, while both have similar time constraints hard to believe? I am me, she is her. Two people. And for once, I will agree to be in a photograph, mostly so Ally will stop bugging me about it, and secondly to dispel this somewhat meaningless and minor dispute that isn't really a dispute. I don't know why she is even concerned about whether or not you believe in her, to be truthful. In any case, she's bugging me. If this will make her stop rambling about getting a picture of me, so be it. The only problem with this is that I don't own a camera, and never cared to know anyone that would. however, with the way Ally goes on about it, she probably has a friend lined up for this evil deed of taking my picture. Which, by the way, Ally, if this is some elaborate scheme between you and some friend, or even if you and Edible are in on this together, expect full retribution. And you know first hand that i'm pretty knowledgable in the art of pranking. You know I absolutely loathe photographs.

Oh, and don't underestimate my ability to stalk the hell out of anyone on the internet.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/chatterbox/quest-assistance-please/t.37504783_1/

Yes, and? You found my main and first mule accounts on Gaia. The fact that Midoriku is also Matti is also Kit is not a big secret. And in fact, Ally's account on here was mine for a short time as well until I handed it to her. Unforunately that means that she knows my password, but I trust that she won't use it for malicious purposes.

On second thought, this could prove interesting. I'll hold off on the photo as long as I can (Not that I want to be involved in it anyway), and you try to compile more... I guess you could call it "evidence", to your theory. I will explain anything you find. This will help me, because I'm horrible at explaining anything, or recounting past events. Also, it could help you in your investigative skill, because there are a LOT of places that I am found throughout the internet. I want to see how many instances of ME you find. (Note/hint: There are TWO instances of the username Alrisandre Margaletrisame in other places that still belong to me. I have not turned them over to the real Ally, and one of them, I'm not even sure if I want to. Also, Midoriku Yashica is a common name I use, as well as Matti Prower, being the most common. Kitaen Silva is a new name for me, and isn't found in very many places.) Have fun!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
This calls for Pesco mindhax.