Author Topic: Let's Play Holdover  (Read 26217 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Let's Play Holdover
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »
Since apparently text/picture LPs are all the rage these days, and I can't record for shit on this laptop. >_>

What's Holdover?
Holdover is a freeware platformer by the Japanese programmer Fox Eye. It's apparently his envisioning of what he'd make if he'd been working back in the 80s rather than the present day.

So, retro?
That's more or less it. There's a plot, yes, but it really just serves to give you a reason to go somewhere.
It's also retro in that certain segments are cruelly hard, requiring perfect reactions to avoid dying. In particular there's an abundance of underwater segments, and if you don't take the absolute best route you're screwed. Luckily there's a Quick-Save function, and GOOD GOD do you need it.

Anyway, the game isn't really long enough to say anything else that doesn't sort of spoil the LP, so I'll just get started. Let's dive into Holdover...and yes, that pun was wholly intended.

Oh yeah, you know a game is hardcore when it starts with a booting screen.

: "Typical. He doesn't even hang around to say goodbye...wait, where the hell am I?"

: "Uh...yeah? I slept fine, besides the fact I'm apparently underground and wearing a swimsuit..."

: "Uh, question? If it left me comatose for that long, why am I expected to remember it?"

Oh, and by the way, our heroine Marie has a computer attached to her leg to monitor her organs. This is why you apparently can't really jump properly.

: "Gee, it's keeping me alive. I HATE IT."

So yeah, Tanner tells you to go to the infirmary and find medicine that'll make your legs work properly and allow you to jump...higher than you should physically be able to. Weird.

He also tells Marie that she can access any records left behind by pressing the X button next to them.

: "X button? Dad, are you senile?"

: "Shut up, Marie."

Anyway, first corridor, and-

Oh, come on. The best part is that you can't even get up anyway because Marie can't jump to save herself. And for some reason you have to earn the ability to grab ledges. I don't get it either. >_>

So, to the right we go then, and entering the first room we find...

Seriously, I spent so long putting up that 4th wall. Why'd you bring it down so quickly, game? ;_;

Anyway, nothing else in the room, so we move on to the next one. We find another computer that isn't broken.

: "Maybe it's a family album from back when Dad was alive and - no, wait, it's just him talking about the capsule."

Wait...she's been in the capsule for centuries? And she hasn't aged a day?
Tanner, you're a freaking genius.

: "Thank you."

So, ignoring that, we move onto the next screen, and...

HOLDOVER PROTIP #1: TOUCHING SPIKES HURTS. There isn't even any explanation as to WHY this place is suddenly filled with instant-kill spikes, it just...sort of is.

I find it fitting that this is image number 9 in the series.

And for an encore;

HOLDOVER PROTIP #2: YOU CAN'T BREATHE BREATH UNDERWATER.

: "No way! Here I was thinking the GIANT O2 METER IN THE TOP LEFT OF THE SCREEN was just for show."

So yeah, from here you quickly get to the first of the underwater segments I was talking about. Here's the layout...

And helpfully, any time Marie is either jumping or crouching (why...?) underwater, she uses up more air. Add to this that she moves incredibly slowly in that tunnel segment, and you've got a pretty cruel introduction to what's basically the mainstay challenge of the whole game.

: "Crap, that protip was right..."

Trust me when I say that if you play this game you will be seeing this animation. A lot.

So yeah, this is sort of a test segment to see if anyone's interested. I'll keep going if people seem to be keen on it - it's from here on in the game starts to prove how 'retro' it really is...

Re: Let's Play Holdover
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »
Personally, I always find LP's entertaining when the person playing is a total wise-ass.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:24:55 AM »
Interesting game...I'd say keep going for it as long as you can. I'm reminded of Nintendo Hard Metroidvanias La-Mulana and An Untitled Story, and this seems very similar.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:20:17 AM »
After a quick google I found
Spoiler:
this game contain fan service.

I'd play it, but FF tactics is being mean enough to me.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
This game has boobs, yes. Also guro.

This game is horrifically evil. Around the time I got to the computer room full of turrets towards the bottom right of the first major area and realized what I had to do, I was like "fuck this". This is the kind of game you watch videos of on youtube rather than try to play yourself, like IWBTG  :V

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
I thought you were going to LP Touhou Undefined Fantastic Object D:

Anyway, lol. Nice LP.
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
Okay, since people seem interested, I'll keep going.

So, after that first segment, the game decides it's time to start working on your platforming skills.

AAAAAAAH WHY DOES IT FALL APART AND CONVENIENTLY COME BACK TOGETHER WHENEVER I LEAVE THE ROOM

AND WHY ARE THERE ROTATING PLATFORMS THAT HANG IN MIDAIR
Seriously, this place is screwed up beyond belief.

Anyway, one jump to make aaaaand...

Oops.

So yes, this happens to you every time you die if it doesn't involve drowning - the swimsuit comes off, you leave blood all over the place, and your naked body is exposed for all to see. It's pretty pixellated though, so it's not like anyone could get much enjoyment out of it. :/
Though for added creepy effect, the blood splatters stay there even when you reload, so you'll always be aware of exactly where you've died...T_T

So, we have underwater segments where if you don't move perfectly you drown, and we have platforming segments where if you make the tiniest mistake you get impaled. What's a game to do...?

Of course! Make you work through an awkward room of spikes while underwater! Genius.

Fortunately, you're aided through this ordeal by strange gravity physics your old pal, Jesus.

Anyway, following that...

Hm. This corridor looks relatively safe...

*takes a few steps forward*

What the-!? *splash*

Oh, silly me. An invisible hole leading into an inescapable pit of water. Reload time.

Oh, and next up is that segment on the right. Good luck timing EVERY SINGLE MOVE YOU MAKE so you have enough air to survive the crouching segment.

: "I don't really qualify as alive because this game is too RETRO to give me a character beyond desperate damsel in distress."

Next room has a hole which you can jump down to enter a FREAKING HUGE underwater segment. Obviously you can't make it through with your weedy set of lungs right now, but you can pick up a few of these:

HOLDOVER PROTIP #3: COLLECTING HEARTS LETS YOU HOLD YOUR BREATH FOR LONGER. ...SOMEHOW.

But yeah, you can't really do anything else here right now, so you just climb up past what's pretty much the hub area at this point (a long corridor moving upwards with no distinguishing features) and looking around.

: "Ooh, a light! I was wondering how I could see given that I'm deep underground and there weren't any light sources anywhere. Now I'll just walk on b-"

: "Oh."

Again, no explanation for why the hell there are laser sentries in the complex, or even how they've survived for as long as Marie has. They're just...there.
So, what's the only way around them?

Apparently they can't see underwater. Which is convenient, since they're pretty much ALWAYS hanging over a pool of water.
Also, you can see one of the game's stranger effects here. When you're underwater you can't see what's above the surface, and vice versa. But for some reason hearts in the air are exempt from this and just sort of float in the void. ...Huh?

: "It'sa me, Marie!"

Okay, next room, and already the sentries are annoying me. If I see another laser I'm gonna-

...More sweeping lasers. Great. *headdesk*

These guys you have to dodge by crouching past the blocks while the sentries are hanging over them. Failure, as usual, leads to fatal exposure.

So, past that room, into a little pit of water...

...Okay, what? I'm defending myself with another swimsuit which is conveniently blue.

: "Uh, hello? Totally uncovered arms and legs here? And that's before I get started on my head."

: "And while I'm at it, why is the O2 bar standing still? Do cutscenes give me some temporary ability to breathe underwater? Or speak, as I suddenly seem capable of doing?"

*ends cutscene*

: "Glublglb." (Yup, just like I thought.)

So in short, the suit somehow protects you as long as it doesn't tear. It comes in two parts, top and bottom, which (unsurprisingly) protect their respective areas for 1 hit. How does the game throw this into your face?

By forcing you to take a hit as soon as you get out, obviously!

And here we have the second reason why I can't really post this on Youtube...POORLY PIXELLATED BOOBIES! OH YEAH!

: "Well, at least I'm not whining about being naked. That'd just be annoying."

But isn't the swimsuit sort of useless now? If it only takes one hit, and I had to take a hit to get out, what's it good for?

Well, fortunately, you can find a few of these.

: "Another capsule? Maybe I can lock myself away for another 3000 years until someone shows up to save me..."

: "...Or it could put the swimsuit back together and restore my pitiful amount of health. That works, too."

Seems like a good place to end this segment. We've seen the tools the game is playing with, so now it's time to see how it's gonna use them...

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
lame Rou puns are the funniest things ever
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »
Yup, definitely a platform hell game. XD Down the Drain fans on TVTropes are gonna get a kick outta this.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
Part the Third: In Which We Lose Our Clothes A Lot

So, coming out of the room with the healing capsule, we see a hole to our right.

Thanks to my having played the game before, I know there's a security panel at the far right, blocked by three lasers right next to each other. Even if I wanted to go there (I can't without getting on the upper platforms earlier) that's enough to kill me, so my only option is to go down the hole-

-And enter another massive underwater area. Thanks, game.

But wait! There are hearts down here! So if we pick up enough...

SUCCESS! By collecting these strange blue hearts, Maria's lungs now officially suck less! ...Well, suck more because they take in more air, I guess, but...I'll shut up now.

: "Gublgl!" (Thank you!)

And on the right of where I came in, we find a door.

: ...?

: !!!

Hearts! Tons of them! And a healing capsule as well! This is the best-

room...e...ver...-_-

: "So either I miss out on the hearts, or have to expose myself again?"

Ten seconds later...

: "Worth it."

Anyway, we now have a big enough set of lungs to comfortably take us through the passage on the right, which loops back around into the main hub.

Now that we can take a whole, uh, one hit without dying, it's time to visit a few rooms to pick up some stuff we missed.

: "...You know, it's like the game is TRYING to make me lose the swimsuit as often as possible."

(There's also some hearts back in the room where I got the swimsuit, so I picked those up. You have to do the two in separate runs, though, because you need the 1-shot protection for both of them. Yeah, this game has a LOT of backtracking if you want to get all the hearts, and you WILL need them.)

After we finish cleaning out the old rooms, we take a new path...

And find some sentries. No problem, just crawl under them.

...Okay, this corridor is pretty long.

...Really long.

And there are sentries going all the way d-

Crap.

So yeah, ducking and covering isn't quite good enough for this room. You have to pick out the tiny gaps between the sentries (or the extreme edges of their lights) and poke your head up for air in order to not die.

(I managed to save this one twice, hence why the number is about to skip. >_>)

Get past that, reach an underwater segment, can't get through in time without tearing the suit, you know the drill by now. So, get to the computer down here and...

You now have a minute to run back to the room at the start of the segment and get to that security panel. The first time I played through the game I thought to myself 'awesome, but where the hell am I supposed to go?!' Cue running down the hallway screaming.

Here's the sentry system, disabled for your viewing pleasure. A minute is a surprisingly long amount of time to get back here, though in the process of saving this picture I ended up letting it reset anyway and had to do it again. :V

: "Yeah, my dad told me that back at the START OF THE GAME. Do something useful, dammit!" *kicks computer*

: "That's more like it."

So where's the infirmary, you ask? Why, it's a good way into that huge underwater segment we were talking about earlier. Even at level 2 we're not good enough to make it, so we need to go rounding up hearts.

And the only place we're missing hearts is...

Back in this room. Dear God, I hate this room. You have to sneak over to the right, then jump on top of EVERY SENTRY IN A ROW to get all the hearts. Eventually out of boredom I tore off the rest of the swimsuit before cleaning up and reaching level 3.

MARIE'S DROWNING ABILITY DECREASED BY 1!

So now we're ready to take a dip deeper into the complex.

Yeah, remember when I said that jumping costs air? Guess what's about to call on absolute precision here.

But after a convenient air pocket, and a crouching section over a screen and a half...

WE MADE IT! WE GOT TO THE INFIRMARY! NOTHING CAN STOP US NO-

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No worries, though, because in true dramatic fashion only the machine at the end of the row is properly functioning.

: "Aaaand apparently it gives me back my health and swimsuit, too. Uh...thanks?"

Alright, we can jump higher no-
Wait. Doubled? DOUBLED? Let me just take a picture of this to emphasise it.

Marie is suddenly capable of jumping her own height. Think that one over for a while. Since they haven't bothered to give her any sort of backstory beyond 'she had an accident', I'm taking this as proof that she used to be either a champion high-jumper or she's secretly a superhuman. T_T

That'll probably be it until Sunday at the latest - this sort of isn't the kind of game I want my family to know I'm playing. >_>

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »
Ah, yes, I played this game for a bit.

I ended up using haxcheats for health/suit/oxygen, because Christ on a bike.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »
So will you be giving out the endgame bonuses?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
Ah, yes, I played this game for a bit.

I ended up using haxcheats for health/suit/oxygen, because Christ on a bike.
Really? The game isn't that hard, especially since you have Quick Save.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:02:57 PM »
Really? The game isn't that hard, especially since you have Quick Save.
"That hard" is relative. And I didn't feel like figuring out the pixel-perfect timing needed for the underwater sequences. I had frustration rather than fun when I tried to figure them out, figuring out how to succeed was no guarantee that I would succeed, and when I finally did, I felt relief and just-not-frustrated-anymore rather than triumph. (Remember, like Gabe, I don't play games to beat them, I play games to see them.)

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
This game reminds me of Jumper 1 and 2.  I'm enjoying the LP so far.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 04:48:46 AM »
This game reminds me of Jumper 1 and 2.  I'm enjoying the LP so far.
I never did beat those games or anything else made by that guy. =/ He hates casual gamers with weak dexterity and precision. I mean, really...PIXEL-PERFECT JUMPS FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 04:50:30 AM »
"That hard" is relative. And I didn't feel like figuring out the pixel-perfect timing needed for the underwater sequences. I had frustration rather than fun when I tried to figure them out, figuring out how to succeed was no guarantee that I would succeed, and when I finally did, I felt relief and just-not-frustrated-anymore rather than triumph. (Remember, like Gabe, I don't play games to beat them, I play games to see them.)
Pixel-perfect? No way. The game is actually pretty forgiving in most parts, and the underwater parts are just really specific sometimes. It gives you more than enough to get where you need to go once you know what you're doing.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Erupi Horudouba - Submerged Girl's Escape
AKA Part the Fourth - Where I Can't Think Of A Clever Title

So, after last segment's visit to the infirmary we can now jump impossibly high. This is especially useful when we're trying to escape an underground complex, I'll note.

Leaving, we find a tunnel underneath us which we can now traverse.

A network room?! That means we can send a distress signal! Let's get down there and-

...I hate this game sometimes.
For the record, there is a TIIIIINY air pocket on your right from where you land, but you can't see it at that point and if you go the wrong way you're pretty much dead.
...As I experienced once while recording this. >_>

So, take a breath and use the MAGICAL 2-BLOCK ELEVATOR to get to the control panel on the left and make your bid for free-

...Why do I even bother? -_-
Well, at least we've activated the secret power of Not Breathing During Cutscenes...

But...this thing is underground. Why does it have a roof...?

FINALLY, something useful. Remember that elevator we walked by at the start of the game? Guess where we need to backtrack to.
(As an interesting aside, Sensui is very nearly the radical of the kanji 潜 (sansui), which can mean 'dive' or 'go underground' Likewise, sensuifu (潜水夫) means 'diver'. Witty.)

I needed to backtrack some more at the side to get enough hearts to survive the next segment, and I'll save you the trouble of seeing that. Besides one picture which I feel stresses the point I'm sure most of you want me to shut up about.

Seriously, how in the hell can she make that jump? Especially since she's apparently weighed down to the point where she can't swim. Eh, no-one ever listens to me. >_>

I will not lie to you. I spent two minutes trying to go up this path the wrong way until I realised it wasn't as simple a backtrack as this. The spikes proceeded to kill me a few times. >_>

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, with all the backtracking done we get into the elevator room and input the code.

Excellent. Wonder what this elevator's gonna look like...

...A pair of magical floating blocks. Of course.

Anyway, you saw the huge patch of water on the left, so obviously we have to get our feet wet yet again. Gee, it's convenient we have a swimsuit as our single line of defense, isn't it?

I'd go on about how the architecture makes no sense, but no-one is listening to me anymore. This segment is designed to force you to get to level 4 before you can pass it, so it needs to be pretty hard as a result.

Well, that's...touching. :/

Okay, I beat the UW segment. What's next?

Lasers! Ah, how I've missed you. Now they flicker on/off and come at you two at a time for added fun! ^_^

But wait, there's more! For a limited time only, we're offering you this super-rare triple combo - lasers, spikes, AND water!

Order now and get 50 hearts absolutely free! =3

So after another shallow segment in the water that seems physically impossible...

Are you kidding me? I can jump inhumanely far, but not infinitely far.
Guess I'm screwed...

Wait! What's that floating into view behind the health bar...?

ANOTHER MAGICAL 2-BLOCK ELEVATOR! THANK THE HEAVENS!

One hop, step and jump later...

Tantalisingly out of reach with your current jump. This game reeeeally hates you sometimes.

So we go up instead.

...Alright, seriously. How many spike-filled rooms can one ruin have?!

But after a series of ELEVATORS THAT PHASE THROUGH SPIKES (seriously, I wish this was a joke):

Ooh, two doors! Let's pick the one on the right.

Hey, there's a machine in here...

HOLY CRAP, EXPOSITION.

...WITH SORT OF SCREWY GRAMMAR, BUT IT'S STILL EXPOSITION.

Oh great, the legendary bureaucrat '?'. What's the problem, huh? Too much paperwork? Monetary cutbacks?

...Oh. That's...bad.

Tanner: Throwing Away His Country's Power Supply For His Daughter.
YMMV in terms of his morality.

They would also be irritated if they found out they were being referred to as if they were some sort of hivemind.

But with this, we get some more background on what happened: A war was what tore the facility apart, and Marie has somehow survived the attack far in the future. This would be more of a shocking twist if the game's home page didn't tell you it. T_T

---

Another segment down. I'm considering recording the rest of it, because I don't seem to remember having long to go from here...I'll just upload the videos to mediafire and post links. Mainly because the ending is probably gonna look terrible if I just show it through pictures...>_>

Any objections?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:53:03 PM by Roukanken »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
Go right ahead, some videos would be nice. It'll be a nice change from seeing static pictures.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »
I want to know how Tanner planned to
Spoiler:
make it to the administration room to unlock Network Room B
. I suppose it can be assumed he didn't, but still.

Also
Spoiler:
the shmup minigame was hilariously out of left field and had some damn awesome Engrish.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 12:36:13 AM »
Also
Spoiler:
the shmup minigame was hilariously out of left field and had some damn awesome Engrish.
Spoiler:
This. Also, the music was pretty fucking awesome, I was pumped up all the time.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 05:00:46 AM »
Spoiler:
Eh, it started to be tiresome after the eighteenth or ninteenth death ...

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 06:52:38 AM »
Second run through this game just tonight got me 1:17 with 5 deaths. Current goal is to 1LC it in under an hour.

Also I would keep going with the screenshots, because the save state spam can get annoying to watch. Make a video of the ending sequence if you like.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »
Holdover V: Giving Everything For A Network Room

So, at the end of our last segment the truth behind the situation had started to come to light, and Marie's quest has finally brought her closer to the surface.

I wish I could play you the music right now, because honestly the presence of a new song is so refreshing. Until now you've had nothing but a downbeat track to accompany you and a nostalgic, music-box like theme for Tanner's transmissions, but this segment has a cheery piece called Message. I can't upload the MIDI, but I can direct you to the game's home page which has an awesome electric guitar rendition playing in the background.
The best part of this song is that it just represents the feeling of hope that's starting to emerge. At last it's starting to look like Marie might just make it out, and the music reflects that.

That's not to say the game isn't going to challenge you, though. And if you look around here things start to get a little...macabre.

Eep. No guessing who wrote this. *looks at the pile of bones*

HELL YES, ANOTHER NETWORK ROOM! LET'S GO!

...Oh. It's full of...more skeletons.

That's...charming.

Given that you're a pile of bones...apparently not close enough.

That's more like it. Now, we've got our cheerful music, so we must be close to victory-

*Message stops playing*

...Aw, shit.

Well, of course. If the network room was working, there wouldn't be dead bodies in here, would there?

Marie has yet another breakdown. This one's pretty understandable, I'll admit.

So, it looks like that's it. Marie's given up, all hope is lost. Until...

*music-box theme plays*

Tanner...?

DAD SHOWS UP IN THE NICK OF TIME!

AND RUNS AWAY!

Admittedly, though, here he finally explains to Marie that international relations have been declining rapidly since the accident while she was in the recovery capsule.

Think of how Tanner must be feeling as he's recording this. He has to give up on watching over his daughter, most likely forever, as the remainder of the facility is about to get wiped off the map. His last message is one to the Marie of the future, who he's obviously praying will come across it.

I think it's fitting that this has ended up as picture number 100, because it's a very good demonstration of the game's motif in general. If Holdover can be said to have a moral, it's that there's always hope even in the most desperate situations. Marie is struggling to survive, alone in a world she doesn't know, seeking any way to escape. At any point she could just curl up into a ball and give up, but she keeps on going thanks to her father's watching eye, even if his words are coming to her from the distant past.

For such a simple game, it's amazing how much a plot like this can actually get to you. I admit the first time I played it there was Engrish left right and centre, but playing it again with a legitimate script it's actually surprisingly endearing.

And with this, Marie regains the will to fight, and to live on. Almost as a reward, she immediately comes across the key to the infirmary.

So, we leave this room since it's more or less useless and head the infirmary directly beneath. Here, we get the game's last upgrade:

Why this was stored separately from the leg-recovery medicine is beyond me.

And we now have a fully-upgraded Marie, now capable of clinging to ledges and pulling herself up if her inhuman jump doesn't do the job! Huzzah!

Skipping the backtracking, we finally have the bonus we need to make that jump onto the ledge with Network Room B and-

OH FOR THE LOVE OF BYAKUREN, WHAT IS THIS.
Fortunately there's another transmission from the past, courtesy of everybody's favourite self-sacrificing father.

Yes. You read that right. Underground.
It's time for the game's longest backtrack, which I'll be generous enough not to show. One interesting tidbit I'll mention, however: if you go back into the first room of the game, you'll suddenly realise that there's a climbable ledge on the left...

And this will lead you into a featureless room with a single computer in it. Access this computer, and-

That's right, people. It's the obligatory 100% completion bonus. I obviously don't have all the hearts yet, so we'll just move on for now.

Anyway, the FREAKING HUGE underwater segment has one last path for you to take.

But, of course, this is the final, hardest segment in the game. I'll tell you that I have collected every single heart in the game thus far, and I'm still drowning thanks to screwups.

Like so. >_>

Anyway, this is the game's final platforming stretch, and it's basically where it throws absolutely everything it has at you at once.

Whee, guess who needs to turn off the security again?

But of course, before that we need to sneak through this gap between the laser's that's barely as wide as Marie is, sneak down to the (underwater) terminal, and THEN run back up to the air pocket before you drown.
So, all that effort to turn off the lasers, and what do you earn by taking this new path?

A dead end. Wonderful.
No, as it turns out, you had to turn off the lasers so you could speed through that segment, to make sure you had enough air to get through the rest of the room without drowning. Featuring crouching sections, pixel-perfect jumps, spikes, collapsing floors and of course more lasers (they've turned back on by the time you get to the last segment) this is without a doubt the hardest segment in the game.

And for an added element of sheer, utter evil, if you make it to the end and (as you would logically do) jump to the surface, the act of jumping consumes so much O2 that you drown before you make it. You actually have to walk to the edge in order to not die, which only makes sense if you properly appreciate the game's sort of strange air mechanics.

Another air pocket, another security off-switch. Why are these things so easy to turn off?

Oh, a nice surprise for you - even though during cutscenes your air meter stands still, security timers don't.

Cue rushing through the cutscene to get back up before those flashlights turn on again. Technically they can be avoided fairly, but I'm lazy so yeah. >_>

So NOW we find a path to our left which is...an empty room.

Or at least it LOOKS empty, but if you keep walking along...yeah, what else? It's THE MAGICAL TWO-BLOCK ELEVATOR, pushing you up to the 'dead end' we saw in 115.

That's the last stretch of the game finished, but since I was looking for 100% completion this time around I backtracked through the admin segment for the last few hearts. I laughed heartily when I realised the trick with the last one:

I'm not kidding, you have to jump headlong into those spikes just to get that one heart. Well played, Fox Eye.

So. One final backtracking session to Network Room B, but before that we'll sneak back into the starting room for our little surprise.

And if you look in your Holdover folder after seeing this, you'll notice a little picture called secret_cg has appeared. For the sake of convincing people to play through the game themselves, I'll keep it to myself, but it's a charming little bonus.

-----

So, that's the last big stretch of platforming done. I'll record the last segment of the game for your viewing pleasure. Probably trying to get through it with as little death as possible. >_>

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »
Yes, yes, YES! \o/

Another game I have to complete! It's my duty!

Besides, Marie's cute~

Powerup punchin'!

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:24:28 PM »

Zengar Zombolt

• Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
GJ, Rou. Thanks for the trip.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 11:43:24 PM »
Well done.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:08 PM »
Wow, that was short. But good job completing it regardless.