Author Topic: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread (Week: HSiFS)  (Read 70955 times)

Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #5: MoF
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »
ReimuA: 8.5/10
Good for a homing shot. Not my favourite for the main game, but an excellent choice for Extra.

ReimuB: 10/10
Perfect, no frills, just a good forward focus shot.

ReimuC: 5/10
The best shot type if you struggle with Easy/Normal Shizuha and have no problems with the rest of the game... any takers? That aside, I have some fondness for this shot as I like to play with the added challenge sometimes -- it's like having an extra difficulty rating in between the main ratings.

MarisaA: 4/10
Not much fun. Rearranging the options is annoying, with a high penalty for getting it wrong.

MarisaB: 2/10
There's just no point, since ReimuB has forward focus covered already. All this adds is piercing, which is barely ever helpful, and a glitch -- and I wouldn't feel I had really cleared the game if I took advantage of that.

MarisaC: 6/10
I have decidedly mixed feelings about this shot. Placing the options is even more annoying than MarisaA -- but when you get a good placement, they can make certain parts of the stages much easier. However, being forced to stay focused can be irksome. Easily the most visually attractive shot type -- but sometimes it's hard to distinguish your options from enemy fire. For bosses, leaving the options in the centre is surprisingly effective: even if the boss moves around, they spend a decent amount of time in or passing through the centre. Overall, a good shot but not the most fun to use.

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
Reimu A: 8/10
She destroys stages but bosses take a little longer. Typical homing Reimu stuff. However, PoCing is a bit harder in this game than in EoSD-IN, so the homing helps a bit. It's especially noticeable in the extra stage.

Reimu B: 8.5/10
High power, low range, the usual needle Reimu. She still has to work for stages, but now that player speeds are more standardized it's not as noticeable. Not as strong as Mari C, but if you don't like dealing with gimmicky shots this is definitely a good alternative.

Reimu C: 8/10
If you shotgun the beginning of the boss pattern, this shot can kill most patterns as quickly as Reimu B. The exceptions pretty much being limited to Hina's nons, Aya's 2nd spell, and Kanako's last 2 spells (Virtue of the Wind God is admittedly bad enough to make me reconsider using this shot). Momiji's pattern too, but usually I want to stall that pattern anyway. Sure you have to be a bit risky when playing the bosses, but the shot gun damage deals the most damage of any shot type and the spread makes stages easier than with Reimu B. She's a type that requires some getting used to. Is she worth it? Maybe, maybe not, but I did and now she's my preffered shot type.
Oh, the unfocus shot is almost completely worthless.

Marisa A: 4.5/10
I appreciate that ZUN tried to experiment more with this shot. However, it's got too much going on so nothing gets to shine. The trailing options hypothetically give her a much greater range than Reimu B. However, despite what "high power type" implies, the individual shots are very weak. Most of the time I just wind up holding down so as to deal the most damage, and even then it's weaker than most of the other shots. The splash damage could be useful, but again the individual explosions deal very little damage and the radius of the explosion isn't big enough to make up for it.

Marisa B: 4/10
Piercing doesn't help much in this game- the stages just don't have many parts where it's especially useful. Her spread is about as bad as Reimu B and she's much weaker. It's not even an interesting shot like Marisa A. There's pretty much no reason to use this shot type.
On a side note, Marisa Bugged is fun to play as (even if your run won't be considered legit). You have to really plan your bombs or else your power will either go above 4 and you lose the super damage, or it'll drop below 3 and you'll have to wait for some power items to come your way. Anyone who hasn't tried this really should.

Marisa C: 6/10
I hate this kind of "focus and lock" shot type. Like IN Remilia, this shot deals insane damage. Unlike Remilia, this is a semi-shotgunning type- when focused your options have a decreased range, so you have to get your options positioned next to the boss at the start of the pattern. And if you unfocus, your options fly back at you and you lose your insane power. I can see how she'd be good, but like PCB Sakuya B and IN Youmu Solo she requires a lot of getting used to, and I do not think she's worth it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:26:49 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2016, 06:53:59 AM »
Ah yes, Mountain of bombs faith time.

ReimuA:  8/10
Powerful homing. It doesn't do as much damage as ReimuB but it gets the job done. Even if the bombs aren't Marisa's ones, they're powerful. Overall a homing shot type done right.

ReimuB: 9/10
This shot-type does a pretty disgusting amount of damage and can spam bombs because it's MoF. Sure it has a harder time with stages, but the power makes up for it... Overall, an amazing shot-type.

ReimuC: 3/10
Very low damage outside of shot-gunning, the spread isn't even that helpful for the stages because the shot's too weak to do much. Overall not the worst shot-type ever but bad.

MarisaA: 4.5/10
Waaaaay to gimmicky and hard to use relative to it's power.

MarisaB: 6/10
A poor man's ReimuB. Less range, much less damage, and piercing doesn't do much in this game.

MarisaBugged: ∞/10
INFINITE POWAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

MarisaC: 9/10
Very, very powerful. Very versatile, when used well it destroys bosses and stages with ease.
But it's range is short, and it's very hard to use. If it had longer range (think Remi's bats) this shot would easily be 10/10.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »
ReimuA: 8/10
Super good homing, but damage is a little low.

ReimuB: 8/10
Damage is good, but range is small-ish.

ReimuC: 1/10
Why would anyone want to use this. The range is wat to high.

MarisaA: 5/10
It's alright. The handling to the options could be better.

MarisaB: 8/10
I like the piercing, good damage. But the range is a little low.

MarisaC: 2/10
Neat, but it's the same deal with Solo Remilia. Hard to use.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2016, 03:19:49 AM »
ReimuA: 6/10. Homing shots are fine but show their real lack of power during boss fights, and they're nonexistent on 0.xx power anyway.
ReimuB: 8/10. I used this for my second Normal 1CC.
ReimuC: 7.5/10. Good for shotgunning and not bad for stages, but I like ReimuB better.
MarisaA: 5/10. Never seem to have used this shot type.
MarisaB: 10/10 because of the 3.xx power glitch. Holy shit, this was the only way I could beat Extra.
(5/10 without the bug.)
MarisaC: 8/10. Never used her before but people are saying good things about her so I'll give a high rating.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »
Hm, this week made me realize how little I played anything in MoF aside from ReimuB and MarisaC. Did a few quick runs with each of the shot types to refresh my memory.

ReimuA: 7/10
Standard homing Reimu, nothing much to say about her that I haven't said in every other homing Reimu rating. They seem weaker in MoF compared to other games, and it shows during boss fights or whenever any big fairies appear during stages.

Standard needle Reimu, nothing much to say about her that I haven't said in every other needle Reimu rating. She's really strong in this game and is the best for a straightforward, no-gimmicks 1cc. Her unfocused range isn't even that bad! Currently working on a no-vertical Hard 1cc with this gal :V

ReimuC: 6/10
Standard shotgunning Reimu, nothing m- wait, shit, that's not right. ReimuC is a weird one-- her shotgun is ridiculously powerful, but when you're forced to the bottom of the screen, the power noticeably fades. The spread is pretty useful during stages, but becomes less and less effective as the game goes on. I have to admit though, it was really fun trying to find ways to get closer to the bosses to deal damage, rather than staying safe at a distance.

MarisaA: 3/10
I really, really like the idea of MarisaA. I had a lot of fun playing with her options on Normal, but on Hard and Lunatic, you have significantly less room to move around and manipulate her options into the positions you need. If they were insanely strong shots, it would be a different case...but they're not. The increased range is very appreciated, but there's not enough power behind it. Much like the Magic Team, I hate giving my personal favorite shot the lowest rating :/

MarisaB: 4/10
There's nothing MarisaB does that ReimuB doesn't do better, aside from piercing and MarisaBugged.

MarisaC: 8/10
Another really fun shot that's actually incredibly useful. MarisaC is what I wish Remilia solo had been in IN. She's stupidly strong, the #1 scoring shot, and an absolute blast to play. Fatbox be damned, I'm zooming all over the screen shooting shit with MarisaC.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:40:09 AM by Sen »

Lollipop

• stay woke
  • literally and figuratively dying
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
ReimuA: 8/10 They're great, but not against bosses.
ReimuB: 8.5/10 Good all around.
ReimuC: 6/10 Obviously this is a shotgunning type. But getting that close to the boss is risky.

MarisaA: 4.5/10 I never understood this shot type at all.
MarisaB: 6/10 It's okay. (except for the bug)
MarisaC: 7.5/10 Like IN Remilia, but better because there's a delay.

Touhou 1CCS:
Hard: LLS, EoSD(NB), PCB(NB), IN, MoF, TD, DDC(NB), LoLK
Lunatic: EoSD, PCB, DDC, LoLK
Extra: LLS, EoSD, PCB(Extra&Phantasm), IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK
Current Focus: 1cc SA Hard, or an Extra

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:36 AM »
One of the few homing Reimus that don't suck, stages are much easier with her. Bosses last longer, but she's still a pretty decent shot.

ReimuB: 10/10
Really good shot in this game, and l think she's one of the best shots in the series. Stages are a bit more difficult for her than other shots, but the main shot just destroys everything, and well... MoF bombs.

ReimuC: 4/10
Literally only useful on three patterns, she sucks everywhere else. Not 0 because she's still skinnybox Reimu and, again, MoF bombs.

MarisaA: 2/10
She's an unwieldy shot that doesn't even reward getting used to.

You like a simple forward focus shot? use ReimuB.
You like Marisa and want to use one of her shots? then use MarisaC.
Other than bugging your way through stuff, I don't see why you would want to use MarisaB, but I guess she's okay without that still.

MarisaC: 9/10
Like MarisaA, she's quite hard to get used to and use effectively, but once you manage that, she totally wrecks everything in this game, both stages and bosses.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
- Standard Reimu with her usual homing amulets. They do great in stages, but they don't do well in bosses.

- Standard Reimu with her usual needles. It's like ReimuA except reversed.

ReimuC: 6/10
- Wide shots that are good for stages, but poor performance on bosses, not unless you shoot them point-blank, which I don't think you can do most of the time.

MarisaA: 9/10
- This is my mostly used shot in MoF. It has great power and does really well on bosses and stages (depends on the formation).

- Standard Marisa with her usual piercing lasers. It's alright I guess. I don't know about the "bugged" thing, mainly because I don't notice the actual changes in gameplay.

MarisaC: 6/10
- I kinda liked this one, but if you lost your focus during a boss (like in Kanako's final spell), then the options can't hit the boss anymore (not unless their range is kinda long, but I haven't noticed).
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC
Extra: MoF, DDC, UFO, IN, SA, TD, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

SMW Central Profile | MyAnimeList

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #6: SA
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »
And MoF comes to a close. SA time.

ReimuA (Yukari): 9/10
By far the most used and popular shot type in the game, and for good reason. She has powerful forward focus, a great bomb for both damage and grazing, and that neat gapping mechanic (not overly useful, but still handy in a couple parts of the game). Her Satori fight is one of the toughest, with DBDB in particular being pretty scary (although quite fun).

ReimuB (Suika): 6.5/10
I actually like this shot quite a bit. I find the slight piercing pretty helpful in some areas (such as Orin's first spell) and her bomb is a creative one that has damage based on however many bullets there are on the screen. That means it can do a great deal against Okuu, if need be. Despite that, she's just a weaker Yukari. I don't find the sucking mechanic too useful (only for the life pieces, really) since you can just graze and get the point items at full value. At least her Satori fight is a fun one (one of the easiest, but fun nonetheless).

ReimuC (Aya): 7.5/10
Once you get used to the angle-locking, you have yourself a pretty neat shot here. Essentially being at full power starting from the 3 is pretty cool, and her damage output isn't half bad at that. Her bomb is also the most powerful in the game, enabling her to even sit on top bosses and do additional damage with how her shot operates. Her Satori fight is also pretty simple, too.

MarisaA (Alice): 7.5/10
Quite the interesting shot. Having 8 Power is pretty damn cool, that's for sure. What's also pretty cool is that her unfocused shot is stronger than her focused one, and combined with her shotgun bomb, you can deal immense damage. Her focused shot also has spread, which helps quite a bit during stages (not as good as Patchy's Water Sign, but still pretty good in its own right). Satori fight is also on the easy side, though the second spell is kinda dumb. Be weary of Marisa attributes, though.

MarisaB (Patchouli): 9/10
One of the most unique and fun shot types in the series, IMO. Having five options in Fire, Water, Wood, Metal, and Earth to use is really neat design, and there are situations throughout the game where each one would come in handy. Her bomb is also powerful, but only when you use it point-blank. Otherwise it would just merely save your life. Satori fight is a bit annoying, but nothing too bad. Marisa attributes are still prominent, but this shot is certainly worth the time in using.

MarisaC (Nitori): 3.5/10
If her forward focus missiles didn't lag and did the most damage in the game, this shot would certainly be more appealing. But essentially she's just a weaker Yukari with a bigger hitbox. The shield bomb concept originated from this shot, but it was designed poorly here (though not failing spell cards when using it is nice, assuming you don't get hit). Doesn't help that her Satori fight is kind of painful, too... At least she's one of the most useful shots for fighting Koishi, but even so...this shot's pretty lame (though I find myself enjoying using it).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:42:02 PM by ZM »

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
Reimu A: 9/10
Usually I like high risk high reward shots, like shot gun types or types that are better unfocused. They're usually harder to use, but are better than simple forward focus types if you know how to use them. In SA, that isn't the case. This is easily the best shot, and there's no risk involved. It's got decent range when unfocused. High power without shotgunning. The bomb is long, screen clearing, and does decent damage. It's just simply that good. The sub abilities aren't incredibly useful, though. The border wrapping options have almost no purpose, and border jumping only helps in a few parts (parts that the spread types have no trouble with anyway).

Reimu B: 7/10
The homing isn't extremely helpful, in fact it's closer to a forward focus type than a true homing type. But the piercing is useful surprisingly often, especially in the 2nd half of the game. The bomb is decent, but not amazing. The auto-collect ability would be really useful in other games, but since grazing lets you auto-collect anyway it kind of goes to waste. It isn't that this is a bad shot type. It's just that Yukari can do most of what this can, and what this shot can do better than Yukari, Aya and Patchouli can do even better.

Reimu C: 8/10
It's... interesting. 3 power is pretty much the same as 4, so you basically get a free bomb. The bomb is very powerful too. The shot does pretty good damage and has great screen coverage. It's similar to IN Youmu solo, so kind of difficult to use. The speed up ability is fun to play around with and can be useful, but I'm just not good enough to use it as well as it could be used.

Marisa A: 7/10
Okay, I know I said I like unfocus types, and I know I said I like shotgun types, but this is kind of ridiculous... Alice is both an unfocus type and a shotgun type, dealing little damage under normal focus conditions but a lot of damage if you're on top of the boss when unfocused. It makes for a very difficult character to use, especially since Marisa is faster than Reimu. On top of that, her bomb is a shotgun bomb. It deals a ton of damage if you're on top of the boss, but is otherwise completely useless, even compared to other shotgun bombs like Duplex Barrier or Five Seasons. As such, the 8 power kind of goes to waste.

Marisa B: 8.5/10
My favorite shot type to play as. Switching between elements takes some getting used to, but it's easier to learn than Aya. It can pretty much hit anywhere on the screen at any given time, even with 1 power. Water and Wood are both good for shot gunning, which is a plus for me. Fire deals about as much damage as your typical homing type, though, so it isn't great against bosses unless you are shot gunning. Earth and Metal are very situational, but since you can switch to more generally useful shot types they don't detract from the shot at all. They just add more coverage for those certain situations. The bomb is another shotgun bomb, dealng great damage if you can get all five rings to hit the boss. Unlike Alice, it isn't complete trash if you're away from the boss either.

Marisa C: 5/10
This does okay damage, but the delayed shots and complete lack of spread makes it awful against certain stage portions and certain boss patterns. The shot isn't completely worthless like PCB Marisa B, but really the only reason you'd pick this over Yukari or Suika is for the bomb. It's the best shot for learning the game since the bomb keeps you safe, but once you've played it a few times it's best to switch to another shot type.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:42:22 PM by TresserT »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 04:39:36 PM »
Yukari: 6/10
Super high power, cool ability, but it has a super small range.

Suika: 8/10
Piercing homing bullets. I love the auto-collect ability, but the power is a little lacking.

Aya: 3/10
I don't like to play helicopter shots.

Alice: 5/10
Good power on a single target, but only when unfocused. But she has a good range in focused mode.

Patchy: 6.5/10
Very versatile, especially On bosses who force me to move around a lot, but the power could be better.

Nitori: 5.5/10
Why is this not splash? Why is there no earth-shattering kaboom fairy-killing splash damage? I's an explosive misleading, right? Also, the missiles move so slowly.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
ReimuA: 9/10
Overall the best shot in the game, great for survival on all difficulties thanks to her strong focus shot (knocks out bosses fast), small hitbox for dodging (shared with the other Reimu shots), and gapping mechanic (as ZM said, only really useful in a couple spots, but it's there if you want it). Her bomb has a long duration, which is great for getting past difficult attacks with proper timing, though it only does good damage when combined with her regular shot. Her bomb also lets you graze optimally without destroying bullets, but the effect only really becomes the most pronounced on Lunatic and Extra - MarisaA and B currently have higher scores everywhere else. ReimuA's only weaknesses are having the toughest Satori fight and her lack of spread, which is still only a problem in a few areas.

ReimuB: 6/10
Perhaps a bit underrated by some in the past,, this shot's homing capability, while weak, is still useful at times to widen your range a bit. Notably, her wisps also pierce, which makes them useful against a handful of Orin's attacks (i.e., second Stage 4 midboss attack, first Stage 5 boss card), though their homing ability might screw this up elsewhere. Her bomb isn't particularly useful for survival on lower difficulties outside of the invincibility it grants, but it can be placed away from bosses so you can graze right on top of bullets' spawn points, which is better than nothing in terms of scoring. Her special ability is pretty redundant when you can simply go up to the PoC on lower difficulties (few bullets to stop you, after all) or graze lots of bullets on higher ones to max out the Communication Gauge.

ReimuC: 5/10
This is the shot type for those who like to bomb their way through everything, as that is ReimuC's greatest strength. While not good for scoring because it follows Reimu and thus deletes bullets nearby, the plethora of bombs you can collect throughout the game makes maintaining a good supply feasible. Reaching what is essentially max power at a distance at 3.00 Power might be considered a strength, but her shots are even weaker than ReimuB's. However, this does make using bombs at full power more practical since her shot damage won't be decreased, not unlike MoF's shots. Her rotating option mechanic is useful during stages to pick off enemies on both sides of the screen, but it places a bit of an undue burden on unfocusing even for a brief moment, which could screw up your damage against bosses. Her increased speed when not pressing any buttons doesn't contribute a whole lot to either scoring or survival.

MarisaA: 7/10
While this shot is unusual in that her shot archetype is reversed (forward shot while unfocused, spread shot while focused), maintaining good damage from a distance is still something you can get used to with practice (think controlling Youmu solo in IN to have her option hit targets as a "human"). Her forward focus shot deals nearly as much damage as ReimuA in most circumstances, and having a spread shot alongside that gives her survival utility during stages as well. Her having twice as many bombs I find to be a mixed bag, however. This does allow you to give yourself invincibility at more individual points, but they have half the invincibility time and attack duration as other bombs. Damage from her bomb also depends on how well you place it - by itself it's very weak from a distance, but it does deal ReimuC levels of damage when shotgunned. As with ReimuB, her bombs can be placed away from where bullets spawn, which helps with supergrazing. Regaining the equivalent amount of power from bomb usage (as in, 2 of MarisaA's for 1 of everyone else's) is also slightly more difficult from a mathematical standpoint since Power items don't give her twice the power to compensate. As with the other Marisa shots, her larger hitbox becomes an unusually prominent issue for survival on Lunatic and Extra, where attacks can get really dense.

Second-best shot in the game because of her sheer versatility and good scoring potential. Getting used to switching between certain shots does require a bit of practice, but not as much as with MarisaA. Her five shot variants let her deal with both stages and bosses quite effectively if you know how to use them. She has an almost excessive amount of spread for stages, which lets her utilize the PoC and CG from pretty much anywhere on the screen. However, she doesn't deal as much damage from a distance, since her dedicated forward focus shot (Fire) isn't any stronger than ReimuB. You have to shotgun enemies with Wood, Earth, and/or bombs to kill them fast, which can make bosses trickier on higher difficulties if you just spam this strategy. As with ReimuB and MarisaA, she can place her bomb away from targets to help with supergrazing - the combination of this and her many spread options makes her the best for scoring on Easy, Normal, and Hard.

MarisaC: 3/10
This shot doesn't really have much going for it. Her bomb is her most useful aspect because of how defensive it is - it functions like a Supernatural Border from PCB, though you can't pop it manually once it's out. Getting 0.50 Power back if you survive its duration is a nifty bonus, good for new/intermediate players who are still getting used to survival on any difficulty. However, her bomb has pretty much no scoring potential. Her shots deal intermediate damage from a distance, which makes her more useful against bosses than some others in terms of pure survival play, but her shots have no spread and lag noticeably, which makes it difficult to hit moving targets (while some of Marisa's shots in other games also have lagging shots, I think this honestly went out of style years ago). Whatever strengths she has tend to fall by the wayside once you get into higher levels of play and/or start getting comfortable with the other shots that are trickier to use, to say nothing of ReimuA being better in just about every way.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:58:59 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »
(I think it's a good idea to mention the Satori fights)
(Won't count Satori's own spell when I mention "first", "second", "third")

ReimuA (Yukari): 9/10
- No surprise there; this is probably the best option in the game. She deals great damages to bosses, and the options' distance to player when unfocused is good enough for stages. I don't like the bomb because it deals less damage to bosses (maybe shooting her point-blank will make up for that?).  Her special mechanic is very useful in some situations. Her fight with Satori is kinda hard during her second and third spell (but it was fun).

ReimuB (Suika): 8/10
- I heard that the shots of this option slightly homes in... anyway, I like the way it's a piercing shot, it does well in both stages and bosses. Bomb needs to rely on how many bullets are there (and I think most of them won't home in after they got converted?). Her special mechanic is great because I don't need to rush to PoC. Her fight with Satori seems easy, except for her third spell.

ReimuC (Aya): 7/10
- I've used this option rarely. I think it doesn't do well in stages because she shoots in one direction (although can be rotated, but still), and I haven't seen how well she does on bosses. I heard her bomb is very strong, and I'd like that, so bonus points for that. Her special mechanic is funny, though not useful because there's a chance you'll run into a stray bullet. Her fight with Satori is probably the hardest imo.

MarisaA (Alice): 9/10
- I like this option, it has anything that I need for: power and tons of bombs. She performs great in stages, but I think she can take a little bit of time to beat bosses. Her bomb is short and narrow, and it doesn't clear a lot of bullets since it's... narrow. Her fight with Satori is very fun... but not for that second spell.

MarisaB (Patchouli): 8/10
- Sometimes I use this shot because it was a wide range of usefulness. She can do well in stages and bosses (except for being a bit weak). I'm not a fan of her bomb because it's stationary. Her special mechanic is QP Shooting - Dangerous!! fun. Her fight with Satori seems to be fun, although a bit hard.

MarisaC (Nitori): 7/10
- This option has something that I need that MarisaA lacks: survival and a bomb that can clear bullets in a screen. Rating it low because her shots are just weak. Her bomb and its special mechanic (giving you 50% of your power back) is very helpful in a lot of situations. Her fight with Satori seems easy, if you've played MoF before this.
1CCs:
Normal: IN (6A and 6B), TD, DDC, UFO, MoF, SA, EoSD, PCB, PoFV, LoLK (Pointdevice, Legacy), HSiFS, WBaWC

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
ReimuA 10/10
This shot type is overpowered. SO. SO OVERPOWERED (or maybe it's that the rest sucks so hard). So overpowered in fact, it completely overshadows all other shot types. Classic needle Reimu. Always OP. But this one trumps them all. This is, the ultimate needle Reimu. Heck, you can even make basic things like streaming easy with this, because you can just gap away to your heart's content.

ReimuB 7.5/10
Basically just a more gimmicky, overall worse version of MoF ReimuA. The only thing it's good at is piercing. Homing sucks hard.

ReimuC 7.5/10
This is the shot type for pros, who just play for score. If you're playing just to beat the game, don't use this shot. It requires complete memorization of enemy's positions, and getting used to moving this thing. Hard to master, but very rewarding. Also, THIS BOMB IS WAY TOO GOOD.

MarisaA 8/10
I really like this shot. At full power, you can use a total of 8 BOMBS, and if you place those bombs right on top of your enemy, you can finish most cards almost instantly. The only flaw, really, really major flaw is that the concentrated shot is on unfocused, while the spread shot is on focused. Really dumb, but I guess without it, this shot would've been even more OP than ReimuA.

MarisaB 7.5/10
The gimmick shot of the game. Just like ReimuC, the only problem this shot has is how absurdly difficult it is to control and master it. If you do though, you can make the whole game a breeze to complete, or even to score.
Also, you can kill mid-bosses with your bomb before they attack you, which is great, I guess.

MarisaC 6.5/10
It's your basic missile Marisa, but with a few twists. The bomb seems useful on paper. It's a shield, that guards you from one hit. Sounds great, right? Then, you realize you aren't going to bomb just in case. You usually just bomb only when you are already about to die, or when you are dying. You then think "What's even the point?"
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:22:13 PM by iVAwalys »
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
ReimuA: 9 / 10: decent power, gap hacking, and best bomb.
ReimuB: 7.5 / 10: autocollect ability is useful, and Satori is somewhat easier, but her lack of power is noticeable in Stage 5.
ReimuC: 7 / 10: I don't know who would want to go that fast, but people say some good things about it so I'd hesitate to go lower.
MarisaA: 6.5 / 10: Shot is somewhat awkward to use, especially on Parsee's second spell. Can stock 8 bombs but they are fickle, weak, and visually misleading.
MarisaB: 6.5 / 10: Personally her shot-switching ability isn't useful since it often activates when you don't intend to. Would have been better if it was bound to the C key.
MarisaC: 7.5 / 10: Bomb is useful for people who clip a lot, I guess.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 01:39:22 AM »
While she has good damage and amazing bomb, the ability to gap from one side to another is perhaps what makes this shot very good to use. She still have problems with staging, as much as every other straight-type Reimu, but gapping helps a lot especially within Stage 5 and 6. Her Satori fight is also fun. Her problems are with Stage 4 Orin midboss and stage 5 midboss, as well as Cat Walk and its variations, which Marisa B can solve rather easily (in case of Stage 4 midboss, Reimu B is clearly the better option than anyone else)

Reimu B: 8/10
The shot's homing quality may not shine too much in staging, but it is clearly a homing-type. The piercing also help much against Orin's stage 4 midboss. Otherwise, she is pretty much doing well in both staging and bosses. Her Satori fight is fun, but her last spell is kind of difficult because micrododging lol. Her weak power make it slightly difficult for stage 5 (ftw Cat Walk) and she also doing BAD against Parsee. Overall, it's still a good shottype for beginner

Reimu C: 7/10
This shot is horrible at 1.xx power, but then it got better at 2.xx power. If you can handle her well, this shottype shine through all stages. Her bomb is also powerful, and while the distance left much to desire, her no-shot speed compensate for that. Could've been better if her power is closer to IN!Youmu. Her Satori fight is also weird, what with the second spell harder than anything else in the battle and her third spell just absurdly easy. She did better at Parsee's fight compared to Reimu B, but still lose against Marisa B in term of effectivity

This shot is surprisingly good for an awkward shottype. Her bomb requires you to be right in front of your target for maximum damage, but thankfully the bosses rarely shot immediately during each phase. The most annoying thing about this shottype, however, is that you only recover 7 out of 8 power when you got killed during full power. This thing spread like crazy, but her power reduced significantly while spreading which kinda makes this shot a risk : reward shottype

Also, her Satori fight isn't that much of fun aside for last spell

Marisa B: 9/10
Super versatile shot. Each shot are always useful for, like, every situation. Her bomb have a shit distance and only occured in short time, but otherwise she would be plain fucking OP. Her Satori fight is especially fun. Also, why is her wood shot stronger than her fire shot?

Delayed shot isn't the main problem of this shot, but it's her low damage for something that lacked distance. Her bomb is very useful for beginner in stage 5 because post Cat Walk stage lol, and it give back half of the power when you survived, which should have give all your power back when used in right situation, but Marisa having huge hitbox and, again, lack of raw power gave much of a disadvantage which is very apparent during bosses. Also, fucking Extending Arm
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
[Disclaimer: I'm a survival player; currently 1cc Hard is at the limit of my ability]

Strong damage rate when in focused mode (very good for bosses); lesser range for unfocused, but I don't usually find that to be a problem. The bomb clears all bullets on the screen and is of good duration, so repositioning your character or dealing point-blank damage is easy. I honestly almost never remember to use the screen gap mechanic; the only time I do is at the start of Stage 6 because my grazing ability is probably sub-par amongst players at my level. For the Satori fight, I honestly find 'Border of Wave and Particle' on Hard far harder than the first two spells (and far more costly in terms of lives and bombs) - micrododging is not my forte.

Not as damaging as Reimu A, but still relatively easy to use. I find her bomb mechanic useful against laser attacks such as Yuugi's, and dense fast attacks like Orin's Stage 4 and 5 midboss. I like the auto-collect mechanism mostly for collecting power items - over the course of the game, this can mean a few extra bombs to use. For the Satori fight, the bomb is a good counter against 'Throwing Mt. Togakushi'. 'Pandemonium' is not too bad, and I actually quite like 'Deep Mist Labyrinth', because I end up shouting 'I'M BEING CHASED BY A GIANT BLOB' in the Twelfth Doctor's voice while doing it.

Reimu C: 6.5/10
I honestly am not very good with the shot direction changing as you move. I've never worked out how to effectively clear screen enemies with it, much to my detriment. Locking the orientation leads to a good damaging shot, and the bomb does high damage, clears bullets, and lasts a long time. I honestly don't make much use of the super-speed mechanic - standard unfocused speed is good enough for my purposes. If it weren't for the bomb, I'd probably have this as the lowest rating. For the Satori fight, I find the three spells of around equal difficulty and none are particularly horrendous, but I am probably least comfortable facing 'Great Whirlwind'.

Marisa A: 8.5/10
I think this character is good if you can consistently get your power up to the higher end of the scale. Yes, you need more power items to get there, but I find once you're there, life is pretty good. The very high damage in unfocused mode is useful, especially on boss attacks which take a while to reach you (e.g. Parsee's midboss, Yuugi's midboss, Orin's two zombie fairy spells). The bomb is not particularly good - but I still think it's good enough to allow you to reposition a bit and deal damage if you fire it in front of the boss. For the Satori fight, again I don't find any spells particularly horrendous.

Marisa B: 7/10
This is actually my favourite character to use, because of the option to change the shot pattern. I especially enjoy circling around bosses using all five shot types (e.g. around Parsee and Orin), and the spread shots are great for clearing stage enemies. Unfortunately, I find that on Hard, I'm mostly using the Fire and Water shot types. The Fire type doesn't deal damage as quickly as I'd like, and this leads to trouble for me. The bomb is also quite short in duration. If you can position it right, you can deal a lot of damage, but I generally dislike bombing to 'skip' attacks unless I really have to, so I guess I don't use the bomb to its fullest potential. The Satori fight is usually fairly frustrating for me - too many silly deaths! The spells are challenging, but fun.

I like the bomb mechanic of this character very much; I think psychological state is intrinsically linked to performance when playing Touhou, and feeling like I have a safety net tends to make me play better when I engage the bomb (which in turn leads to getting hit less, giving me more power back). The bomb also clears all bullets on screen if you get hit, which is always handy, but this is better for stage play than boss play, as bosses generally don't let up with the bullets they fire at you. Unfortunately, her shot is not too damaging, and she doesn't have very much going for her. The Satori fight is also difficult as I struggle with 'Extending Arm' and 'Trauma in the Glimmering Depths' (and 'Kappa's Pororoca to a lesser extent).

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2016, 01:14:26 AM »
ReimuA 9/10 : It's far stronger than all the not-A shots... far stronger. With a solid bomb and a special ability that comes in handy now and again, it's easy to see why this is -the- shot for SA, but let's face it; it's because the other shots are weak and have bad bombs. The competition is just lame.
ReimuB 4/10 : I'm not gonna sugercoat it; this is your homing shot but it's homing SUCKS. If you're just a few character widths away from the boss horizontally, you will miss even at fullscreen vertical distance for your bullets to try to home from. So... it's just a weak as hell forward focus shot with some weak piercing on it. The bomb is also awful. The concept is neat, but on most attacks it will do terrible damage, especially if you're bombing for survival and not planning damage bombs, which you probably aren't. Sure, on a few attacks it's really strong, but the rest of the time it'll suuuuuck, and on those attacks you usually have to plan the bomb rather than due it to avoid a death. It's really unfortunate, because I would like a homing shot in this game; a lot of scary attacks are difficult to hit the boss during (LIKE GENETICS, AUUUGH)
ReimuC 7/10 : The shot is also not that strong, but since it has a directional aim for both "forwards" and "backwards it's not too hard to use and can come in handy, and the bomb is the strongest in the game (arguably; MariA is weird). Most of the people using this shot probably are doing it purely for the powerful bomb.
MarisaA 8.5/10 : Actually good competition for ReimuA. Unfocused it does as much damage or even more if you're shotgunning, and when focused it still does comparable damage to all the other shots and gets high spread. 8 bombs is very solid for survival purposes and while weak from a distance, if you shotgun one it's very strong, which is notable since she gets 8 of them.
MarisaB 7/10 : The Gimmick Shot. I didn't rate it higher because if you don't use the bomb at pointblank range, you do literally no damage along with not much bullet clearing either, which is painful. Also, because in most situations her damage is bottom tier, unless you can shotgun or attack from behind. However, this shot is very effective in the stages if you learn when to use which elements for the best effect, and that makes it fun to play as well, and it's very cool to see this shot used to it's fullest potential. A polarizing kind of gimmick shot where there's high potential and can be very cool, but if you don't specifically learn the game with the gimmick in mind it's just too weak and the bomb is too small.
MarisaC 5/10 : The bomb is a neat concept, but this shot sucks. It's a forward focus... except it's damage is awful. Why ZUN, why? Ontop of your bad damage with your low range and slight missile delay (which is neither here nor there, that doesn't bother me much) the bomb does no damage; whilst it's a cool defensive bomb, once you're up against an attack you're just plain bad at, you're gonna get WRECKED. However, it's a good shot to use in Extra, where your bombs won't do damage either way; you'll have to survive longer against the attacks to kill them, but out of all the extra fights, Koishi is the one I find most notorious for unexpected deaths by a long shot, and I value this shield there.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2016, 04:20:34 AM »
SA, more than any other Touhou game, makes "risk vs. reward" the basis of gameplay, and this is reflected in the shot types available.

ReimuA (Yukari) - 9/10
Really, the only bad thing I can say about ReimuA is that her range while focused is abysmal. She is by far the best shot type in the game; she's extremely powerful, her bomb lasts half the stage and clears the screen AND lets you graze the entire time, she has a smaller hitbox, and although her gap ability is only useful in a handful of situations, she doesn't lose anything by having it. Her Satori fight is probably the hardest in the game, but Border of Wave and Particle is fun enough that I'll allow that to slide. Really, very few shots in this game are worth using, and ReimuA outshines them all.

ReimuB (Suika) - 5/10
Oh, was this homing Reimu? I didn't realize :V After using ReimuA for several years, giving ReimuB another shot was difficult. The drop in power is very noticeable, and the homing isn't accurate enough to make up for it. Her bomb is really nifty though, and gives you a pretty substantial period of invincibility. In terms of damage, it's one of the rare times I can say something is more effective the higher the difficulty. Her ability isn't very useful past Easy mode, though. If you're playing well enough to 1cc the game, you're playing well enough that your Communication Gauge is maxed out. Her Satori fight is...conflicting. Pandemonium on Lunatic is one of the most fun spellcards in the entire series, but Labyrinth is utter garbage. What's the point in designing a spellcard around homing when the homing doesn't actually work?

ReimuC (Aya) - 5/10
ReimuC is the definition of "risk vs. reward." She feels like that character that can absolutely fuck up the game if you master her...but it's so difficult to get there, is it really worth it? She's not weak, but compared to ReimuA, she's not especially strong either, and you have to be distressingly close to do big damage. As someone pointed out though, it's nice having essentially full power at 3.00L, so you basically get a free bomb at 4.00. Speaking of her bomb, it's the strongest in the game, and combined with her speed ability, lets ReimuC rip stages, bosses and patterns apart. Her Satori fight is fun, I will say that-- the second Aya card is a blast.

MarisaA (Alice) - 8/10
Reverse-focus shot types have always been really fun for me, and MarisaA is no different. At 6+ power, her spread is wide enough that she can annihilate everything on screen, and her unfocused shot deals good damage from a distance and insane damage when shotgunning. She starts to wane at higher difficulties due to Marisa's speed and fatbox, though. Her bomb is only really useful when shotgunning, but if you use it + shoot the boss, it's basically a get-out-of-jail-free card. During stages and at long distance bosses, it's mostly just a way to get out of a pinch when you're cornered, but you get eight of them. Her Satori fight is pretty fun, but can drag on because her attacks require so much micrododging with a shot type that's based around being unfocused.

MarisaB (Patchouli) - 8/10
It takes some getting used to, but MarisaB has a shot for every occasion. Fire Sign is probably one of the weakest forward-focus type shots in the series, but Water Sign and Wood Sign annihilate stages and do great damage when shotgunning. Metal and Earth Signs are very situational, but she doesn't lose anything by having them, so they can only help (and nailing an Earth Sign shot is really satisfying). Her bomb has a decent invincibility time and can do some crazy damage if you drop it right on the boss' face, especially with Wood Sign, since L3 Wood Sign shotgun is the strongest shot in the game. Her Satori fight is an absolute blast and very manageable. Really, she only suffers at long-range during boss fights because Fire Sign just doesn't cut it, but I suppose she'd be completely OP if it dealt ReimuA levels of damage.

MarisaC (Nitori) - 2/10
The only reason I gave her a 2 instead of a 1 is because her bomb gives you back 0.50 if you don't get hit while using it. Most enemies (including the bosses) are very mobile in this game, so the delay on your options' shots causes them to miss most of the time, which makes her mediocre power even worse (this is really noticeable against patterns like Parsee's first card or Exteeeeeending Arm). If she was really strong, it could be an even tradeoff, but she's....well, not. Her bomb is useful if you're just starting out, but once you realize you can't do any damage with it, you're stuck with her awful shot as your sole offense. Every character in the game has something they exceed at, except Nitori. Yukari is forward-focus and her bomb clears the screen and does damage. Alice and Patchouli have both power and spreads. Even Aya and Suika can get a good amount of use out of their bombs. Nitori is good at absolutely nothing. Hands down one of the worst shot types in the series.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:25:57 AM by Sen »

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
ReimuA 10/10 - This shot is ultra mega powerful. Not only that. It's a BEAST on Lunatic scoring. The bomb is so beautiful. You get invincibility and you can

....GRAAAAAAAAAZE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERYTHINGGGGGGGGGG...

Also she's so good at survival too. She kills things mega fast. Her only flaw is the stupid annoying Satori fight.

Also. Gaphax is useful at times. Most notably bypassing stage 5 post midboss so you don't have to learn anything. Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

ReimuB 5/10 - She's weak. Her gimmick is useless because the items are gained at low value (and any other character can simply GRAZE to get items anyway). Her homing isn't even homing. And I can't even name that many places where her piercing even comes in handy.

Her bomb is pretty neat looking, and strong if used right I guess.

ReimuC 6/10 - Useless gimmick. Seriously. How is moving dangerously fast even remotely useful. For PoC'ing? Just graze. SA experts, if there's a practical use for this, please enlighten me.

At least she basically gets full power at 3 power. That's pretty useful. I would complain about her gimmicky shot but tbh I should learn how to use it before I make judgements. So uh, no point off for that, even if I hate it. Actually I'll still take off a point because blah.

MarisaA 8/10 - Neat shot. She's very powerful if used right. Her bomb is nice if pointblanked. And her spread is godly on stages, especially in a game full of streaming. She is good at scoring on lower difficulties as well from what I can see. She doesn't do half bad on Lunatic either.

I guess my only complaint is that her survivability decreases on Lunatic and you end up probably being better off using a Reimu shot for survival things. Well, at least she skips cat walk.

MarisaB 7/10 - I honestly don't like this shot, although everyone seems to love it. I can see why. but all I see it as is a worse version of MarisaA. Sure she has advantages in lower difficulty scoring. Sure she has a shotgun. Sure her bomb is nice and strong but... what does she have that MarisaA doesn't. The ability to shoot behind her? Who uses that? (Yes yes I'm sure it comes into play in scoring) I guess her options are cool to manipulate? Maybe morth can enlighten me because he's an expert at SA.

MarisaC 4/10 - Ahhh this shot. The one which basically doesn't excel at anything. Her bomb is cool for survival. And her shots aren't even that weak. They just take forever to fly up so the DPS is low. Still. The other shots just give you anything this shot could never give you. Sure the bomb is good for safety and all. But the other shots are better at dealing with things anyway.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:19:48 PM by Mino ☆ »

« Reply #81 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:19 AM »
ReimuA: 10/10
Literally perfect, she's THE Needle Reimu, and she even scores! Great damage, good bomb that hits the whole screen and lets you graze, and lasts for a good while so you can shoot along with it to make up for its fairly low damage, and Yukari's ability is pretty useful if you run out of options, or feel like trivializing streaming sections.
Satori's fight is really tough, but when you get to have such a strong shot I say it's a fair price.

ReimuB: 7/10
She's okay, there just isn't anything this shot does the other Reimus don't do better, A has a better main shot, and C has a better bomb. I guess Suika's autocollect is useful for life pieces, but most of the time when you can't graze, you can just PoC with next to no risk. Her bomb can be pretty powerful on higher difficulties, and her Satori fight isn't terribly hard, so she's not a bad shot, even if she's too weak to make her piercing useful (ReimuA still kills the Stage 4's midboss faster).

ReimuC: 7/10
Cute shot. It handles similar to IN Youmu, so it takes some getting used to... or not really since you can just bomb everything with her, and without losing power in some cases. For a shot that's technically always missing half of its shots, it's got decent power and (in theory) great range, the bomb is very powerful and with Aya's ability, it's pretty much an all-range bomb like ReimuA's. She has arguably the easiest Satori fight, so she's a good shot for first 1cc's... I just don't see much use for her beyond that.

MarisaA: 8/10
I really like this one, she's very close to ReimuA in power point-blank, and she has great range for stages (Stage 5's popcorn section is nothing to her). Her bomb is deadly at close range, which along with her main shot can end spellcards really quickly. The ability to hold 8 bombs is kind of a double edge sword, because you have to keep handful of them to have at least decent power, and when you die you get less power back compared to the rest of the shots (and you don't get full power back if you died at full power). She's strong, but she's Marisa in a game with very clippy patterns, at least her Satori fight is average.

She's basically Range: the shottype, she can hit pretty much anywhere on the screen, which can be very good on stages, and her bombs are incredibly strong point-blank. On bosses however, she kinda falls short, Fire formation is actually very weak (ReimuA is already as strong as it at level 2), and bombing always has to be planned for, which isn't a bad thing, but it makes it less flexible than other bombs. Her Satori fight is quite enjoyable (though Princess Undine can be a bitch sometimes) and it's a fun shot to use, but she too weak for my liking.

MarisaC: 2/10
I feel like she tries too hard to be PCB MarisaA... and fails even harder. She's kind of strong but the missiles take very long to reach anything, and the trailing effect is even worse than PCB MarisaA's. The border-like bomb is good as a safety net I guess, but you'd always be on lower power than usual, and sure it clears most of the screen, but it doesn't really deal damage. I just don't see a reason to use her, if you just want to clear but have trouble with the patterns, just pick ReimuC and bomb everything, and get an easy Satori fight to boot.
Oh, and fuck Extending Arm, I'd rather face DBDB three times in a row.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
Re: Official Rate the Shot Types Thread: Week #7: UFO
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »
Best game time~ UFO is a go.

ReimuA: 9.5/10
Definitely one of the best renditions of Needle Reimu in the series, and also my personal favorite. She's very powerful against bosses, even retaining pretty good DPS at lower power, being better off than most of the other shots. Reimu benefits are present, of course, and she also has one of the most powerful bombs in the game in Wild Exorcism Dance. Her only problem is that stages are rougher with her compared to some of the other shots, but that's where the learning comes in. Her scoring potential isn't as high as Marisa's or Sanae's, but she's probably the easiest to try to score with due to her being the best at survival.

Underrated shot type. Her stages are among the best due to her homing working wonders (makes her more preferable to SanaeA's homing snakes, in that regard), which makes her quite good at UFO summoning. Fantasy Seal is a good bomb, as well, but be careful when using it whenever summoning UFOs since it can accidentally blow it up before it fills. Bosses tend to drag on, but at least she has Reimu benefits. Overall a solid shot.

MarisaA: 7.5/10
INFINITE PENETRATION. Enjoy the piercing while it lasts, since MariA in this game is the last game so far in which Marisa has had her piercing. Her DPS is second to ReimuA in power, along with piercing thrown into the mix, so she's pretty powerful. The piercing works wonders in stages, as well, and makes her adept at UFO summoning. Master Spark is also a solid bomb...for bosses. For UFO summoning, Master Spark can be a liability if you use it incorrectly, as Marisa's slower movement makes UFOs harder to collect. As for bosses, Marisa's bigger hitbox and focused speed can be unkind (Lunatic!Good Omen...) and even her glowing options can be frustrating in certain spells due to masking bullets. Her scoring potential is among the highest in the game, but she's probably the most challenging to use due to her being among the worst at survival.

One of the most infamous shot types in the series, and for good reason. Take all the things that make Marisa less appealing to use and then add weak spread instead of the usual high power the ordinary magician usually houses (she has a decent shotgun, but it's pretty situational). The backshot to this shot isn't particularly useful aside from one or two stage portions, and the Ultimate Short-Wave isn't helpful for those who bombskip. Though she isn't a particularly bad shot, however. In lower difficulties, she has one of the highest scoring potentials, even having the Easy WR. Her bomb is amazing for UFO summoning, and of course she has a big grazebox. For survival, she's the worst in the game. As for scoring, she has her benefits.

SanaeA: 6/10
Pretty standard shot, and probably the most overlooked. Her homing snakes are helpful during stages, though worse than ReimuB's homing amulets when it comes to that. Though for bosses, her homing snakes are more superior than ReimuB's homing amulets due to higher damage output, although ReimuB still has superior bosses due to her hitbox and not being too far behind when it comes to DPS. Orochi is a good bomb for both UFO summoning and for bosses. She's not a bad shot at all, she's just outclassed by ReimuA, ReimuB, and SanaeB since they can provide what she has, but even better.

SanaeB: 9.5/10
My personal favorite shot in the series. Her spread frogs work wonders on stages and bosses alike, the range being great and the splash damage being quite helpful. Her shotgun is useful in many situations, as she can get off enough damage on bosses to end spells quickly. Wily Toad is a fantastic bomb for survival and scoring alike. For survival, it has the strongest damage output in the game, especially in conjunction with her shotgun. As for scoring, it helps that she can move around the screen at full speed during the bomb detonation to pick up stray UFOs before it goes off. She can also use it to blow up a lot of enemies and then fill up UFOs with their items feasibly. Unfortunately, she's worse than ReimuA at survival when it comes to boss performance due to Sanae having a bigger hitbox and not being as strong. It doesn't help that at low power, SanaeB's damage output suffers greatly. Even so, she's a very good shot. A tad overrated, but for the right reasons.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:53:01 PM by ZM »

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »
Reimu A: 7.5/10
Her power is huge, but her spread is awful. Standard needle stuff. However, in this game stages are the biggest challenge so her lack of spread is really a hindrance. Her bomb is the same; extremely powerful, but it's very narrow and lowers your speed, making it bad for UFO collection. I can see her being awesome on lower difficulties or for someone better than me, but her lack of spread makes Lunatic stages too hard for me.

Really, this shot is practically the same thing as Sanae A. I don't know why ZUN included both of them. Both shots totally crush stages, and deal surprisingly high damage to bosses for a homing type. The damage can't compare to Reimu A or Sanae B, but it's still not too bad. This one can cover a slightly larger area without much of a difference in damage. However, the bomb is worse. I'm not sure if Reimu's bomb deals more damage, but if it does it's hardly noticeable. Plus Fantasy Seal isn't screen clearing. But really, the differences are so minor it doesn't really matter.

Another shot that really shines on lower difficulties. This is one of the few games where piercing is a big deal, as UFOs can block enemies and vice versa. Her piercing also makes her lack of spread less noticeable. However, the bomb is no good for stages. The slow down is real. It makes it not only impossible to collect UFOs, but you're very likely to accidentally run into a UFO that you didn't want. Great against bosses though.

Marisa B: 5/10
After playing with her a bit more, I have to admit she's not as bad I remembered or as people say she is. She can deal as much damage as ReimuA when shot gunning, and unlike SanaeB you don't have to in the boss's crotch to deal full shotgun damage. Her spread is quite a bit wider than ReimuA's, and while it's too weak to deal with heavy enemies unlesss you're shotgunning, most enemies in this game are of the popcorn variety anyway. Unlike SanaeB, she doesn't suffer too much at 3 power, which is a plus. However, her range doesn't even come close to ReimuB, SanaeA, or SanaeB's, and her power is still lower than SanaeB's. All that said, she still suffers from Marisa problems- a faster movement speed and a larger hitbox. Her bomb is also complete garbage. The shortest and the weakest in the game. Parts that I can bomb through with any other shot type, I have to spend 2 bombs on with this type. Honestly, even though she's advertised as a spread type, she's much closer to a wide forward focus type (like EoSD Reimu B). If this shot were given to Reimu and had a decent bomb, it could actually be worth playing with. However, ZUN didn't do that, so it doesn't get a good score.

Sanae A: 7.5/10
The same as Reimu B. Her shot might be slightly stronger, I'm not really sure. If it is, it's hardly noticeable. Destroys stages, weak against bosses but fairly strong for a homing type. The main advantage over Reimu is a screen clearing bomb, but really Reimu's clears enough bullets that it's not a big deal.

Sanae B: 7.5/10
Everyone likes this shot, but for some reason I just can't get the hang of it. The spread is definitely better against stages than Reimu A or Marisa A, but it still can't hold a candle to the homing types. The shot is awesome when shot gunned, but since her options are behind her and spread out dealing full shotgun damage is extremely difficult. My biggest complaint, though, is that it becomes much worse when not at full power. And UFO is notorious for not giving the player enough power to recover. If you get it during a boss, you have to deal with fairly low damage until the next stage. Now, the redeeming feature of this shot is the bomb. It's extremely strong, letting it take out bosses especially if you shotgun bomb it. It has a delay, so it won't kill UFOs instantly (giving you time to fill them up). It's really long. It doesn't lower your movement speed. The most OP bomb in the game, and one of the most OP in the series.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:18:05 PM by TresserT »

TableCloth

• Call of Loli: Waifu Warfare
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »
As much as she is powerful, stages are where this game get really difficult. Her lack of range become highly annoying during the latter stages of the game (EVEN HER BOMB IS STRAIGHTFORWARD!). She might be pretty good at bosses, but so does anyone else that is not MarisaB. Her lower speed also make it kind of difficult for UFO-ing and her lack of range make it troublesome to even UFO during stage 4 and stage 6

ReimuB: 9/10
The shottype that is not SanaeB that is actually good. While her amulet slightly bad at aiming, the way it worked really make up for it. Fantasy Seal is good for both staging and bosses, although it can get slightly troublesome during UFO. It doesn't really matter much if she didn't do well in bosses as ReimuA, because by the time you reached stage 4, you might as well already have overload amount of health lol (if you don't die, that is)

MarisaA: 7/10
A piercing shot that is not exactly good, but isn't THAT bad either. The piercing quality suddenly play a bigger role in annihilating stages while activating UFO, it makes other piercing-type Marisa laughable. Master Spark can annihilate bosses, but not so good for staging.

MarisaB: 4/10
Y evn liv? Other than her almost omnidirectional spread at 4.00 power, this shottype is shit in general. Her shot is also weak. Her bomb is decent in power, but it's kinda short

SanaeA: 8/10
Nothing much is going on with her compared to ReimuB, and due to the hitbox difference, it doesn't really worth trying this in exchange to ReimuB. Her homing is powerful, while not targetting what's behind her IIRC. Her bomb is good for staging (and, surprisingly, Byakuren's last spell) but is she worth the use? Well, if you love yourself some challenge, Sanae is your waifu, or just hate Reimu THAT much, then sure

SanaeB: 10/10
OP shottype because, why not? She has a nice ass-whopping damage for a shottype with splash damage, and an equally ass-whopping bomb. She easily outshone everyone else in both staging and bosses, and while she's a slight margin weaker than ReimuA, it doesn't affect much
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: MoF, IN, SA, PCB
Lunatic 1cc: MoF, IN

Currently struggling against depression by writing a light novel. Also, stop talking about nazi. The fact that I have Swastika in my name makes me stressed whenever anyone brought up any topic related to nazi and neo-nazi (unless we're talking about history, then I'm up for it). No, I'm not a neo-nazi. Neither are my parents. F**k off.

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2016, 06:23:14 PM »
Best Touhou game :3

ReimuA - 9/10
Probably the single best iteration of needle Reimu in the series. She's stupidly strong, with a not-terrible range when unfocused at full power, which has been one of needle Reimu's long-running weaknesses. AMULET CHAIN GUN is one of the most ridiculous bombs in the series. It takes down stages, enemies, bosses, and UFOs, without the massive drop in speed that comes with Master Spark (it does slow her down, but not to the point where she can't grab nearby UFO tokens). Add in her small hitbox and you've got one of the best survival shots in the series.

ReimuB - 7/10
Homing Reimu is very good in this game, taking down stages with little difficulty. Her shots are strong enough to take down most enemies on screen with little difficulty, though the drop in power is very noticeable against bosses, especially on spellcards with lots of HP (Murasa's third card) or where the boss is difficult to hit (Kogasa's first card, Byakuren's fifth card). Also, if there are lots of enemies on stage, she has difficulty breaking UFOs with everything in her way. Her bomb is incredibly strong and has a great invincibility window too-- my only issue with it is that it can blow up UFOs before they're filled up. All that being said, one of ReimuB's shining moments is the UFOrgy in Stage 4-- with barely more than one bomb and a little skill, she can collect UFO after UFO and rack up resources at an insane rate.

MarisaA - 8/10
Probably the best use of piercing in the series, which might be why ZUN took it out after this :V MarisaA is only slightly weaker than Reimu, but I think she has an easier time with stages because her lasers can hit UFOs through enemies. Like most forward-focus Marisa shots though, she gets harder to succeed with the higher the difficulty. UFO has some of the densest patterns in the series, and Marisa's fatbox doesn't quite make the cut (especially in the second half of the game, where her options blend in with the glowing bullets). Master Spark is strong, but the massive slowdown really hurts, especially on stage portions when trying to collect UFOs.

MarisaB - 1/10
I appreciate that ZUN tried something new for Marisa, but this shot type is a disaster. Spread types are supposed to be really strong when shotgunning. MarisaB is not. Bombs that hit the entire screen for low damage are supposed to have long invincibility times. MarisaB does not (for reference, ReimuB's bomb has an extra 20 frames on invincibility and can deal nearly four times as much damage). There's very few situations where the backwards shot comes in handy, and she's too weak to really shoot down enemies quickly, so breaking UFOs is a big problem for her. Add that into Marisa's hitbox and speed and there's really nothing she's good at.

SanaeA - 9/10
My personal favorite shot type in the game! She's essentially an alternative to homing Reimu, in that her shots track enemies around the stage, but her forward focus shot is slightly stronger. This comes in hugely handy on spellcards where the bosses fly around screen (Byakuren's fifth card, Murasa's second, etc). Her bomb gives you a relatively long invincibility time and does decent damage to the whole screen, but not so strong that it'll automatically break any UFO on screen. She's the first shot I cleared the game with and still the only one I can consistently 1cc Hard with.

SanaeB - 10/10
I have to hand it to ZUN. There are very few characters in this series that you can play, royally fuck up from start to finish, and still get the 1cc. SanaeB has everything-- spread, shotgun power, a ridiculous bomb, scoring potential, everything. Stages are the main challenge in this game, and she destroys them beyond what any other character in this game can do. Her bomb is a free skip+supergraze opportunity, her focused shot is decently powerful at a distance and the strongest in the game when shotgunning, and her splash damage lets her break UFOs through enemies, similar to MarisaA. There's nothing she can't do.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 06:48:33 PM by Sen »

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Not really fond of UFO...

ReimuA 9/10
Great power, okay range and a strong bomb. Second best needle Reimu, as there's still SA's ReimuA. Bomb will make getting UFOs a little bit tedious, but it certainly get things done. Overall, a very good balanced shot.

ReimuB 7.5/10
This shot would be amazing in a game like SA, but this is UFO, so it falls inferior to ReimuA. Reason? The homing shot really loves to target things you really wouldn't want it to target, and so, for example, destroying a UFO would usually require a bomb when there is too much small fry on the screen. However, it's a godsend in Stage 5, and collecting the small UFOs is pretty easy with it.

MarisaA 9/10
My personal favorite shot of the game! It's like the absolute opposite of ReimuB. It has a very short range, but it can hit pretty hard if you land it just right. The best thing about this shot is its piercing, which you wouldn't usually notice in any other Touhou game, but in UFO, it makes things like destroying UFOs a breeze. The bomb is incredibly strong, but it will slow you down to abysmal speeds, so bombing to collect small UFOs is not a good option with this. fucking blue UFOs

MarisaB 4/10
This shot is just... Pretty meh. In UFO, most enemies spawn very high above the screen, so the backwards shot is essentially useless. It's spread is... Okay, at best. And I guess the name of the bomb "Ultimate Shortwave" refers to how goddamn short it lasts, and how little damage it deals.

SanaeA 9/10
Believe me or not, but I think this shot's "homing" is actually a lot better than Reimu's. It's much more accurate, and it can kill a lot of enemies if they're positioned in a line, which is a pretty common thing in UFO. Apart from that, it's pretty much ReimuA with a better bomb.

SanaeB 7.5/10
People seem to praise this shot a lot, but I don't really see its appeal. It's like a missile Marisa, but with the missiles angled a little bit to the sides. I could see why it's useful, but for me, it's not really useful enough to completely stand out from the others. Sure, it's a powerhouse, but only when it's at full power. And remember, we're talking about UFO here, a game where getting actual full power and actually keeping it that way for more than five second is pretty hard. Its bomb is amazing though.
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Alright, UFO, a game I should play a bit more.

ReimuA - 9.5/10
Very strong shottype, makes most spellcards a piece of cake given that the strength surely does its job, along with the usual tinier Reimu hitbox she has a very good time against bosses. Lesser so in stages in which she has one of the harder times, but I think that bosses makes up for stages for the most part. Pretty strong bomb, too. However she has a lower scoring potentional than scoring as Marisa and Sanae have although it needs to be mentioned that due to her pretty good survival it is kind of easier to score with her regardless. 

ReimuB - 8.5/10 Very good at stage portions, I would argue she has the best time against them, actually. Her homing shot has a fine strength and definitely packs a punch in UFO. Her bomb is also quite strong, she has a harder time against bosses than most shots but definitely makes up for it by her excellent stages and the fact that she still has the tinier hitbox. Needs to be noted the bomb can be silly and can be inconvenient during UFOs, although they're generally easier to summon with her.

MarisaA 7.5/10 Yes, infinite penetration. The last game in which she has piercing, too. Very strong shottype who's only a little less strong than ReimuA but can make good use of her piercing during both stages and bosses. Her bomb has a grandiose strength and definitely is strong, but you'd much rather have it against bosses than UFOs as that can really kill your scoring chances with MarisaA, along with her slower speed this makes collecting UFOs, or well, scoring in general, quite a bit harder. Excellent against bosses but you'd still much rather have ReimuA here as there's still the reasons for that; those being: strength is stronger for ReimuA than MarisaA, focused speed is much more troublesome for MarisaA than ReimuA; the hitbox being bigger for Marisa doesn't help either, another problem she faces is how the familars are so glowy and can make it much harder to dodge incoming danmaku than it should. Essentionally, her only plus is the infinite penetration and for the rest she's simplistically said inferior to ReimuA.

MarisaB 5/10 If you play as her, you're essentionally saying that you hate your life. MarisaB is infamous for... Well, being literally useless. The only plus point I can think of is how her shooting UNDER YOU helps during a few stage 5 portions, but that is where it remains. Other than that she's a very weak shot with a weak bomb along with it, atleast the bomb bullet clears and you can shotgun with the shot, but that shall not take away that playing as MarisaB is simply asking yourself for a good raging period.

SanaeA 6.5/10  Essentionally, ReimuB but less useful. Stronger homing but hits less, still does a fine job at stages, has a harder time at bosses due to a bigger hitbox but her shot makes up just a little for that. Has an easier time summoning ufos, her bomb is fine enough in terms of DPS. She's really just quite standard, ReimuA, ReimuB, MarisaA and SanaeB just have more to them than SanaeA, that doesn't really make her a bad shot, but it kind of does in comparison.

SanaeB 9.5/10 Her spread frogs are great for both stages and bosses; kind of give her an easier time at both due to that. She has quite a bit of splashdamage which has quite a bit of use too, notable is that she can shotgun pretty good too, that is how E-Splice managed to get the overall world record a while ago, by shotgunning Byakuren. Her bomb is amazing for both survival and scoring, as it is the strongest bomb in the game and even makes her already pretty strong shot look weak in comparison. It is very handy as you can still graze a little bit while activating the bomb, making SanaeB pretty easy to graze with. SanaeB's main problem really lies in the powerloss she has if she's not at max power, it is quite notable how much DPS she has at 4.00 power and 3.00 power, as a comparison. Bigger hitbox than ReimuA and a little less strength, but greatly makes up for that by being able to score a bit better, her bomb also allows her to move around without being slown down, which ReimuA's bomb doesn't. A strong and well-known shot, for the right reasons. Although at times overrated.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:52:18 PM by Zigzagwolf »
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

Uruwi

• 478 million goober
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2016, 04:27:40 PM »
ReimuA: 7/10. Hardly ever used this shot type.
ReimuB: 7/10. Okay but really lacks power.
MarisaA: 6/10. Not a big fan of Master Sparks.
MarisaB: 2/10. Heard horrible things about her; probably not going to try this shot for a while.
SanaeA: 7/10. Almost as good as SanaeB, but not quite.
SanaeB: 9/10. Frog shots, and a powerful frog bomb that wipes out entire attacks. Only with this type have I 1CCed Normal.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »
UFO best Touhou game

- The needles Reimu. Obviously strong, but she has short coverage for stages. I don't like her bomb, because narrow hitbox + slows your movement. She might not hit the UFOs because it might be hiding someone's back, but it's still strong enough to destroy it anyway.

ReimuB: 7/10
- The homing amulets Reimu. She's good at stages because obviously homing amulets. Her bomb is okay. She doesn't do well to hit UFOs.

MarisaA: 9/10
- The lasers Marisa, and the last infinite penetration lasers. Personal favorite shot. Her coverage is alright on stages, and does very good on bosses. Her bomb slows you down, but it's very wide! She has no problem hitting the UFOs (also clears Nue's UFO spells easily). This is like an improved ReimuA imo.

- Fun fact: I've started playing UFO with this shot, because of a screenshot that shows her bomb, which I thought was cool, but... this shot is weak. She's good at stages, and that's it (I don't understand the omnidirectional shot, like... I haven't seen an enemy appearing from behind so ???). She doesn't do well on bosses (not unless you shotgun them which you can't do most of the time), and a short-lived bomb which has a weak power. Same goes for UFOs.

SanaeA: 7/10
- Haven't really used it enough. Homing snakes are nice for stages. Her bomb is alright. I think you might have a hard time hitting UFOs.

SanaeB: 8/10
- Exploding frogs. They're strong. She's good on stages and bosses, but it just confuses me because of the sound that it uses when it hits, lol. Her bomb is my favorite bomb out of all UFO bombs. She probably has little problems with destroying UFOs.
1CCs: