Author Topic: Touhou 14.5: 東方深秘録 ~ Urban Legend in Limbo. is HM sequel, demo at Comiket 87  (Read 805236 times)

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women

Don't forget Maribel.
Mistakenly assumed that Usami and Renko are different people...  Should be Maribel and Renko...

Thanks for the heads up!

As for that silhouette, I can't even fathom a guess as to who it is. Maybe Wriggle? I dunno, I'm thinking they have the most random, unexpected character donning this badass looking cape.
There's no guessing.... It's a new character. The main antagonist is always a new character. This, and the Phantasmagoria every x + yN game pattern, are the only patterns to hold up time and time again. =)

Seems my guess was right: every character does have a unique gimmick, it's just less in-your-face as it was in HM (ie, no unique meter/icons/whatever). Well... it doesn't make up for the floaty-air-fighting nonsense, for me, but it'll be interesting to see how the cast makes use of this. Neat, I guess. Any word on how spellcards are handled? (ie, IaMP-style, like others have guessed at?)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
There's no guessing.... It's a new character. The main antagonist is always a new character.

Oh, I didn't realize then that it was supposed to be the final boss. Nevermind.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Honestly, the game seems pretty like poison for fighting game players. All the worst parts of HM and SWR together lol.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
Maybe it's like multiplying two negative numbers; you end up with something positive!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Honestly, the game seems pretty like poison for fighting game players. All the worst parts of HM and SWR together lol.
Yeah I'm honestly not all that thrilled with the new BALLS system. I don't think people were too thrilled with the weather system in SWR already...

The main art motif of HM was "newspaper"; for ULiL, they are going full in with a Showa-era pop poster style. Showa-style fonts everywhere.

The character titles are in Showa tagline style:

Kasen
脅威!願いを訊く仙人
Menance! The Hermit Who Listens to Wishes
Kasen seems to utilize her own powers.

Reimu
神秘!結界の巫女
Mystery! The Shrine Maiden of Kekkai (Boundaries)
Reimu's power focuses on invoking secret domains of the world:
1. The Pyramids: Both side's Occult Special Attacks are enhanced to maximum power.
2. Stonehenge: The playfield becomes gradually narrower.
3. Babel Tower: Touching the Occult Ball causes it to attack the opponent (?)
4. Yomotsu Hirasaka: Reduces stamina the closer one is to the stage center [the penalty is much greater than Soku's Scorching Sun]
5. Nazca Ground Painting: When touching the Occult Ball, one's stamina will [cut off]
6. Hell Valley [a volcanic scenic spot in Hokkaido]: Turns the bottom of the screen into a damage zone.
7. Lunar Capital: Reduces bullet speed (affecting [cut off]

Marisa
恐怖!学校の魔法使い
Horror! The School Magician
Marisa's power comes from the schoolyard legends.
Oh, then it seems my guess is wrong about the anomalies. So it's just exclusive to Reimu? Then I wonder how you can gather it with other characters?
Where did you get the text file?

Anyway, I'll just copy some of the updates from my previous post. Remember that it's merely an observation.

Hoooh, an alternate Last Word with the Occult Ball? Seems story mode exclusive
Nah, cut that out.

Anyway, enough with the characters, let's talk about the game and its elements, additions, changes, and stuff. Remember that this is only out of obersvation from the livestream. I probably misunderstood something or even missed it. And it's still only the trial version.

General stuffs
Gameplay is mostly unchanged, though it's quite noticeable that it's harder to combo now and for some reason guards became harder to break(Unless it's a string of really tight attacks or combos, it just won't break). And barrier guard(blue sphere) is still strong.
It seems that there are no longer red stun, only blue. However, it seems that unless you don't tech out of it(uncertain, since he's against AI) you will automatically get to blue stun state.
Color palette still there.
The fires in the lower middle of the screen is you spirit gauge, akin to Soku. It reduces as you shoot projectiles and use skills. Blocking doesn't seem to affect it though.
Each character only have one SC, out of 3 selection that you choose in the character select screen.
You still declare your spellcard, but I can't seem to notice any timer or the sort(probably just missed it), or it's the meter depleting. Also, SC no longer connects after the enemy is stunned, so keep an eye on the stun rates.

Special Gimmicks
Now is the ULiL exclusive Occult Ball System.

Every time someone makes a significant combo, wallslams, or stunned the opponent, some purple balls will come out and flies to the timer on top. It's not clear how much is needed, but at a certain time (60, 30, etc.) the Occult Ball will "activate" and starts a 5 seconds countdown before it triggers some kind of weather effect, kinda like in Soku.
During it, the occult ball will spawn into the battlefield and interact with the "anomalies". Not all of them affect the characters, but they all definitely affect the ball.
What I've seen:
  • Sand walls closing in to the center, limiting the stage space.
  • Black hole gap opening in the middle of the stage, sucking in the occult ball
  • Yellow mist covering the whole lower part of the stage
  • Holographic scene of the Lunar Capital appears, and the ball floats as if in zero gravity.
  • A gigantic triangle made out of lasers spins around the stage, and the ball will bounce inside it.
They seem random, but I can't say for sure. Maybe character reliant or stage reliant. (As of cuc's post it seems that it's Reimu-exclusive) Nope
Anyway, while it's active, your job is to get to the ball and touch it, giving you 1 point, which is showed around the ball. It also carries on between matches. The maximum is 7 and you're competing with the opponent on who has more points. The winner will acquire the ball and the number of the ball can be seen under the timer. 1P is red and 2P is blue.
The one who has 4 of them, will be able to use the "怪ラストワード" (Strange Last Word?), and the more balls you have, the stronger it becomes. At 7 it's almost twice as strong.

However, that only applies in normal matches. In Story Mode it functions differently.
After the opponent enters their spellcard mode like usual, an Occult Ball will appear among the opponent's attacks. What you do is the same, get close and grab it. Earn 7 and you can use the LW to end the fight.
Another thing, the Occult Balls seems to function like an item card when used. It'll summon one of the 7 Mysteries of school at random. Piano crashing, Painting shooting laser from the eyes, Statue running frantically... (Seems to be Marisa-exclusive)

And like cuc said, it seems like a HM-based engine with IaMP like SC use and SWR/Soku Weather system. Whether it'll be great or not can only be said once you played it.
Overall, this seems interesting, but there are some things that I'll have to be picky with.
Guards too strong, that you wish there's a throwing attack.
The auto-stun seems annoying.
But at least the AI is somewhat better(?). They use spellcard for real this time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:52:02 AM by monhan »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
The nico stream showed part of the text file, which I captured.

I was mistaken about Pyramids etc being Reimu's power. It's a new "Mystery Spot" system tied to Occult Balls, not Reimu-exclusive. In other words, it's the return of weather.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:28:18 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Wow, this is so confusing...

Oh, I see. So it's a system effect after all. But Marisa has a unique one, I wonder what Reimu and Kasen have?
We'll see. By the way, there's the day 1 patch as usual.

And the fans being the fans, they cannot help but notice this

Kogasa confirmed! =)
(Either that, or the lamp from A Christmas Story has entered Gensokyo. And been recolored.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:11:25 AM by Omegahugger »

Wow.. I was expecting IaMP mechanics (the spellcard one) but SWR?... why!?
I hope that at the very least, this time around these things are not as intrusive and disruptive as SWR weather was.

Also, nowhere exited about hearing that combos are harder yet blue-shield still stupidly strong. Why on earth would you make it harder to shield-break on an engine that already has a hard time breaking shields!? Thats one of the few things I condemn HM for... do we have grabs at least now? if not, what a retarded decision. Against the lack of mix-ups, only strong pressures make up for guards... people already complains about how hard it was to break shields and get into combos because of the rubber-band effect of air-figthing, now its only going to give them fodder...

Also, I dont like strange gimmicks in fg, however... given I understood nothing on how this one works still, I?ll give it the benefit of the doubt. As I said, so long as it is not as disruptive as SWR was.

Thank god it is the demo and not the final version. If they screw up here, they have time to fix it before the final release.

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
Marisa is way too naughty in this game.

http://i.4cdn.org/jp/1419822240680.webm

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
>Weather

Told ya'll it was gonna be a kusoge  ::)

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
Just a shot in the dark, but i'm guessing they decided to port weather back for a chain of logic somewhat like this.

SWR = weather. SWR also = popular.

HM = no weather. HM also = no popular.

If you're tasfro, and you want to make up for the shitfest that was HM (assuming JP hated it too), what do you do? add in systems you know people like. who knows, maybe weather is really popular among the JP or something, but it was a core part of the fighter that was popular, so, again, not hard to see the logic.

and again this could be 100% wrong.

game2011

• magneiptVE
Game is already torn apart by haters...

Do we even know how well 13.5 did in Japan?

Told ya'll it was gonna be a kusoge  ::)
Yet nobody listened..... :(

game2011

• magneiptVE
Yet nobody listened..... :(
Because not everybody are haters (like me). :)

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
Calm thy knee jerking. Honestly the occult ball system doesn't seem like weather now that I've had a chance to play with it. More so than anything else, it SEEMS to force aggressive play, and is undoubtedly an attempt to combat the floaty, guardy complaints people have about HM. I'm not sure how well the system will work out in practice, but messing around with it a bit, given that you get a bonkers benefit for getting (7 it seems?) occult balls, i'm guessing this 'alternate win condition' is going to force a lot more aggressive play, given that you can get a control point both from touching, AND from hitting the ball.

or who knows, guards might still be impossible to ever break.

edit: also seriously it's only out on the field for like 5~ish seconds at a time yall overreacting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:17:00 AM by nyttyn »

FearNagae

• Hisouten/soku Enthusiast
Honestly, if anyone even bother to discover, the game is really good outside some of the new stuffs which I can't really understand yet.
The movement mechanic and others have been improved greatly by adding highjumps and landcancels etc, the game are closer to Soku.

I haven't discovered anything like pushblocks/border escape to combat strong blockstrings (am I missing something?). Blockstrings currently look very nice in this game and people would most likely like it.

The remaining problems are whether the game would have enough skill curve to enjoy learning, I can't tell yet.

EDIT: It's closer to IaMP than to soku.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 01:39:02 PM by FearNagae »

Z is attack, X is projectile, C is special. If you hold C, you can use the occult skill. Reimu's occult skill is the gap, Marisa's is the school's mysteries, Kasen's is the monkey's paw. You need occult balls to use your occult skill, and if you get hit while you're using it then you'll lose an occult ball and your opponent gains one.

Occult balls appear every now and then, and there'll be a countdown when it's about to appear. There will also be a "Mystery Spot" (pyramids, Tower of Babel, etc.) that will affect you and the occult ball in some way (making the occult ball harder to obtain). The occult ball and Mystery Spot stay on for five seconds, and you have to touch it more than your opponent does to gain the occult ball. Touching it means your sprite must overlap, not hitting it with a projectile or anything.

Spell cards can be declared with A once your meter is filled. Press A again to use them. You can only use Last Words if you have four or more Occult Balls. Press A and C together after declaring to use.

Edit: fixing incorrect information
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:08:58 AM by Polaris »

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Man I can't stop brainstorming what this new antagonist could be up to. My guesses are that she uses rumors to become stronger; the more people believe in said rumors, the more they manifest and give her power.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Making a really dumb claim here but I'm making the call on the new "Boss"; with Kasen's involment in this it got me thinking about something that's never been fully solved yet in the touhou lore, the Four devas. Suika and Yuugi are two of the four, but Kasen is just rumored to be one amongst people. The silhouette having a horn shape is whats really making me lean towards this but if Suika AND Yuugi are playable, I'm calling the boss to be the Fourth deva with an ability related to these rumors and legends.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Kasen is finally playable, that's neat.

Marisa is way too naughty in this game.

http://i.4cdn.org/jp/1419822240680.webm
Hey, at least this was a girls cabin.

Hey, at least this was a girls cabin.

As if all the ghost in the girl's cabin are girls ;)

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature

General stuffs
Gameplay is mostly unchanged, though it's quite noticeable that it's harder to combo now and for some reason guards became harder to break(Unless it's a string of really tight attacks or combos, it just won't break). And barrier guard(blue sphere) is still strong.

Glad for this. Getting guard crushed seemed to happen far too often in Hopeless Masquerade. It's adding injury to insult when you get to eat a combo from a crush in addition to taking a massive hit to popularity when blocking. Without the popularity system and with stronger blocks, it will hopefully be a nice change to be able to press back for two seconds and not lose the match for it.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?

It is ok, that is what being fan is for. Otherwise it aint fan service. We all knew what happened to Byakuren. I am surprised they made Kasen modest where normally she is portrait plentyfull.

Time to polish up my fighting skills it seems. Been really long time I took the fighters serious.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
So what do Reimu's and Kasen's Occult abilities do precisely?

Formless God

The game seems slightly faster than before from what I've seen
Spoiler:
on Youtube's 360p30
I was hoping they'd ditch the floaty euroshmup gameplay, but eh.

And wow, Moe's art looked fine in monochrome but here it's just a badSekaiju.
Should've gone with the Fairy Wars artist.

game2011

• magneiptVE
Should've gone with the Fairy Wars artist.
Matsukura's artstyle makes characters look plump, so I'll pass.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:09:58 AM by game2011 »