Author Topic: Danmakufu Artifact Contest! (results are being prepared)  (Read 16790 times)

Trickysticks

• What am I? TRICKYSTEAKS I AM!
  • A stick of the tricky variety.
Danmakufu Artifact Contest! (results are being prepared)
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »
Artifact Contest 1: The Pagoda of Bishamonten

This contest will (hopefully) be one of many that involves artifacts from the Touhou series. This time, the artifact is the Pagoda of Bishamonten. Shou lost the Pagoda (again) and another character of your choice found it. The player must then retrieve it from said character, but the character doesn't want to give it up. So you fight for it.

- Must have at least three nonspells and three spells. Going over this limit is perfectly acceptable. You can make a stage or a series of bosses or a side scrolling shooter or StB or a freaking full game, just make it have at least three nonspells and three spells.
- The character(s) must retain their identifying characteristics, while also doing something new due to the pagoda's power. The wiki page has tidbits of information about what the Pagoda does. Common examples: Curvy lasers, bullets spawning where lasers intersect a wall. Be creative with your interpretation and you might come up with something new!
- If you want to do multiple characters somehow, feel free to. It'll be rated as one entry, though. Make the circumstances make sense, like the characters continually taking the Pagoda from each other.
- Shou and Nazrin aren't allowed Actually, you can use Nazrin as long as she doesn't have the pagoda. At all. Shou is probably too busy sulking to do anything, so she isn't allowed still.
- Any game engine can be used. If you really want to make your own/have your own, feel free to utilize it.
- Judging will be done by myself and possibly anyone else that wants to apply. Send me a message. If you want to participate, you can't be a judge, unfortunately. Scoring will be the average of all judge(s) scores, with entries rated on a scale of 1 to 10.

Due date is to be decided, but it will definitely maybe be some time after January 1st.  This isn't really intended to be a major thing, so no need to use millions of effects and ensure that everything is flawless. Do your best and don't flip out.

Edit:

Due Date is  January 10th, 2014 at 11:59PM PST

Entries two seconds late will be accepted. Also those two hours late. Maybe two days if I'm being nice. Try to have it in by the end of that weekend.

Another Edit - Since people seem to have photoshop skills and everyone loves pagodas in cutins, here's an image of the pagoda by itself. Have fun. Credit to gtbot for this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:42:10 AM by Helepolis »
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

Trickysticks

Re: Danmakufu Artifact Contest!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:56:32 PM »
Due date solidified. Good luck, coders!
Interested in playing some boss fights I made? Have Danmakufu? Then check out my Danmakufu creations!

gtbot

• Master of ScreenSplit
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:01:46 AM »

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »
Can I have a Pagoda? :'D
I'm taking one anyway!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:45:35 AM by PhantomSong »

kirbio

• Leader of Team αlternative Σnding
  • Or is it...?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
I'll join this too!
Seems fun!  :)

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:56:59 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 12:53:59 AM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:56:44 AM by Helepolis »

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 04:24:02 AM »
Don't know if I'll have time to finish, but I'll try it!
http://s21.postimg.org/4co7qwmbr/Pagoda_Contest.png
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:56:36 AM by Helepolis »
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
  • Highly Responsive to Jinxes
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »
Ah, curvy lasers! My biggest weakness! Dodging AND programming-wise.
Oh well, I'll see if I can participate in this contest.

Also, have a Sekibanki for good measure.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
You're not actually restricted to curvy lasers. In fact, it's better if you don't have curvy lasers in every attack, since it'll be nicer on people's processors, won't make them die everywhere, and will allow you to be more creative with what you want to do. Remember: the attacks still need to reflect the character that's being battled against!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
I just noticed by re-reading this thread again:
...Nazrin lost the Pagoda (again)...
It is actually Shou who keeps losing it, and Nazrin is burdened to find it. If the player character is Nazrin, that would make even more sense, plot wise.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »
Don't fret, the Pagoda gives more powers than just curvy lasers, more so just lasers. and gem collecting. :V (All of Shou's attacks use it pretty much)

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »
It is actually Shou who keeps losing it, and Nazrin is burdened to find it. If the player character is Nazrin, that would make even more sense, plot wise.
I was thinking about mentioning that but then I forgot.

Edit: I want to also emphasize Sparen's advice regarding curvy lasers. This might be a Shou-like contest, but try to remember that Shou is not DEFINED by curvy lasers. Take some of her Double Spoiler attacks as an example. Your script will DEFINITELY benefit from variety, not curvy lasers in every attack.

Spoiler:
That said, I'm DEFINITELY planning to do curvy L?vateinn.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:53:24 AM by Helepolis »

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 07:15:56 PM »
Is it OK if we use Nazrin for plot reasons, and she doesn't use the pagoda in any way, shape, or form?

Trickysticks

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 11:10:39 PM »
Is it OK if we use Nazrin for plot reasons, and she doesn't use the pagoda in any way, shape, or form?

If that's really what you want, I suppose. Her being the player would definitely make the most sense, but any other usage is okay as long as she doesn't have it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:17:15 PM by Trickysticks »

ExPorygon

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 05:41:11 AM »
Alright, since this contest is going to involve curvy lasers in some form or another, I thought this a good opportunity to release my custom curvy laser effect designed to imitate the custom lasers often used by Len, the creator games such as Phantasmagoria Trues. These curvy lasers are in fact less likely to create lag than danmakufu's default sinuate lasers in most situations and they look pretty good, if I do say so myself. You can find out more info about that in the readme.

I encourage all of you to try out the function. You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyoyyr8vswklfmy/Curvy%20Laser%20%28Len%20Style%29%20by%20ExPorygon.zip
Make sure you READ the README!

A sample of what it looks like can be found here: http://puu.sh/5UBaI

If there are any questions (that aren't answered in the readme) that any of you have regarding the function or if you have any suggestions feel free to shoot me a PM.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
THANK YOU!
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
I replayed Shou's stage in UFO and her DS levels, and yeah, there's more to work with than just curvy lasers. Interestingly enough, in the actual spellcards in UFO, Shou never used curvy lasers. However, the parts I keep dying to are her non-spellcards, which might explain me remembering those so well.
But any way, now I have the problem of having far too many "lasers spawning projectiles" patterns. The irony. xD;

And who gave Flandre the Pagoda? We're doomed! :3

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »
I replayed Shou's stage in UFO and her DS levels, and yeah, there's more to work with than just curvy lasers. Interestingly enough, in the actual spellcards in UFO, Shou never used curvy lasers.

*rambles on about how she used cruvy lasers for aesthetics in her first spell in ufo*

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »
Well, yeah, but those lasers are no threat (at least not on normal, can't say anything about the higher difficulties), so I neglected them. :D
Although I have to admit that they look cool in that spellcard.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/x5iSo57.png

I better start to work at it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:57:24 AM by Helepolis »

Trickysticks

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
One week left (+2 days) until the contest is over! Keep up the good work, or actually start your entry!

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »
My entry! Wooo
http://www.bulletforge.org/u/phantom-song/p/phantom-songs-stolen-artifact-contest-entry-captain-minamitsu-murasa/v/1
I tricked you with that Okuu pic, HUH, HUH? ... OK... enjoy...
*NOTE* There's a weird glitch that occurs with some people with the background, I don't know how to possibly fix it, so you'll have to bear with it, if you do get it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:52:04 PM by PhantomSong »

ShadowNCS

• Prinny Overlord
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
My entry is done! ^^
Download link for Mediafire instead of BulletForge because it's not written in danmakufu. And BulletForge insists that I choose a danmakufu version. ^^
http://www.mediafire.com/download/okd33pytew5sm53

My entry is written in Java, so you will need Java 7 or higher in order to play it.
If you don't want to install Java for some reason but still want to at least view it, here is a link to a video of me playing my script:
http://youtu.be/dW_SjQ11sRU

I tricked you with that Okuu pic, HUH, HUH? ... OK... enjoy...
So I'm not the only one posting a different character than I ultimately chose. (Although using floating pagodas instead of Sekibanki heads sure was tempting.) ^^
Also, your script is great!

[Late Edit]
Apparently, there is a bug in my engine that causes the game to crash when the timer runs out. I'll fix that as soon as possible.
[Edit 2]
Fixed the bug. That's what I get for last minute changes. xD;
The old link is replaced by the new one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:44:15 PM by ShadowNCS »

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »
dang, would have entered if I read the OP better and see that any engine can be used.  :V (just realized it with ShadowNCS entry)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:18:41 PM by Kimidori »

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 01:40:35 AM »
My entry  :V
Play through 3 non-spells and 4 spells and try to get the highest score you can.
It runs on a custom-made engine written in 2 days specifically for this contest.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql52ed0wk8v3111/BakaDan%201_0.exe
http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/SrFZi.png
http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/GPxNC.png

I also made an Android version, but the pause menu and score table are broken and the controls are hard to use...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:51:23 PM by Ran Yakumo »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
DNHArt Video Coverage of Artifact Contest 1:

Note: I may not be able to record non-DNH entries. Depends on how ugly my computer's Java ends up being and whether or not Wine likes the .exe files.

PhantomSong: [DNHArt - 60] 東方弾幕風 0.12m: Artifact Contest 1: Captain Mimamitsu Murasa v1 by PhantomSong Normal
Kirbio: [DNHArt - 61] 東方弾幕風 ph3: Artifact Contest 1: Raiko Horikawa Boss Battle v1.01 by Kirbio Contest
TresserT: I give my apologies, but video Denied. (1)
Ozzy/ExPorygon: Hiatus until I can actually beat the script. (2)

*(1): This script... could use a LOT of work. It's extremely unfair, exceedingly long, has absolutely no sound effects besides the default spell declaration, has graphical bugs galore, and I died over 30 times on my first run. It took longer to clear than an extra stage because of multiple survival spells. The danmaku, for the most part, is pretty decent though extremely unfair. It's just that this will end up being a 3GB movie file and my computer can't handle this script length, and my eyes can't handle the backgrounds for 15 minutes.

*(2): Hard mode is pretty hard. However, it's my fault for not being able to clear the script. I'll try to clear it, but I won't be uploading unless I can actually *beat* the script. If you have time to fix the minor graphical bugs, that'd be great. I'll try to find some time to master and memorize the script and the techniques for clearing it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:44:00 AM by Sparen »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Moderator notice: Reminder for the people posting here: Image rules for MotK still apply, even for these kind of threads. I have transformed "unreasonable" images to plain links. Either rework them or leave them like that, thanks.

ExPorygon

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
Moderator notice: Reminder for the people posting here: Image rules for MotK still apply, even for these kind of threads. I have transformed "unreasonable" images to plain links. Either rework them or leave them like that, thanks.
My bad the rule honestly slipped my mind when I posted that

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
You weren't the only one though as you noticed :V