Author Topic: [Music/Project] The AWA Touhou Album Project  (Read 6839 times)

[Music/Project] The AWA Touhou Album Project
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
Salutations! You may know me as Jacob Fastwheels Noah El-Melon from the Brohou Project group (where I initially proposed the idea), but I came here to tell you about a project I wish to run.

Inspired by the AWA Touhou Scroll Project, I began thinking... the music of Touhou is pretty important too, right? So, in honor of ZUN's first visit to the states, I would like to show him as a community just how much we appreciate it!

Before you say anything, yes, this thread is based on the AWA Touhou Scroll Project thread's layout. ?If it ain't broke, don't fix it.?

Just what is the AWA Touhou Album Project?

I would like the Western Touhou Community to produce an album of remixed Touhou music, potentially spanning several discs. The physical CD set will be given to ZUN as a gift, with a booklet of liner notes, and shortly after AWA the album itself will be uploaded as a free download.

What kind of work will this project consist of?

Because there are hundreds of songs in this series, not everything can be covered, but at the same time, anything can be covered. From Highly Responsive to Prayers to Hopeless Masquerade, all of the various music albums released by ZUN on the side, and anything else released before AWA, the choices are not exactly limited.

If you are interested in contributing to this project, I would like you to give me a list of five to ten songs you would be willing to choose from, as well as a sample of your past work. That way, I can choose a song that would be good for your musical style. For the sake of quality control, there will be a panel of judges, but don't worry about that ? just give the music 100% and put your soul into it, and you'll be fine.

What genre will the album be?

Anything! This isn't ?The AWA Touhou Rock Album Project? or ?The AWA Touhou Dubstep Album Project?. We're giving him a taste of the community as a whole, after all! I only ask that, whatever genre you do your song in, you give it your all.

What will the CD set's layout be like?

If it is only one disc, the CD will be presented in the standard ?disc in a jewel case with liner notes in the inner sleeve? layout. If it is several discs, the set will be presented in a box with the jewel cases inside of it, with simple credits on the back of the art paper on the case's inner sleeve and a more detailed liner note booklet in the box.

What is the deadline?

Much like the Scroll Project, I'd like to have the music done by August 31st, and the CD set itself ready by September 21st.

I can't make music, how can I contribute?

Singing or writing lyrics for vocal songs would be great, and credit will be given in the album's liner notes. Alternatively, you could write a short (one or two sentences) message to ZUN, which would also be included. Suggestions, advice, and free advertising are appreciated as well.

Where can I contact you?
Just send me a Skype invite. My username's Arutoa. Tell me that you're contacting me for this and I'll add you to the group chat.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:42:57 PM by Lucidia »

Re: [Music/Project] The AWA Touhou Album Project
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
[Post reserved for extra information.]

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
inb4 AWA Touhou Danmakufu Project

OverCoat

• Don't think. Feel, and you'll be tanasinn.
    • OverCoat Music
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Finally something I can get behind. I'll work on a song for this.

Are you familiar with Distant Phantasm, and the usual crowd that makes music for those sets? https://soundcloud.com/dphantasm/sets Contacting them would be good, if you haven't already. I think Babbe might already be trying something.

Oh wait, you want examples of our work. Okay. I should probably link something:
http://overcoat.bandcamp.com/album/overcoat-2-more-stories-from-the-megatropolis
http://overcoat.bandcamp.com/album/gardens-ep

I'm interested in arranging whatever song :P Maybe I'll give "The Bridge People No Longer Cross" another shot, since I wasn't satisfied with my first attempt.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:52:41 PM by OverCoat »

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
You guys have my support. Once we've got a few musicians interested, I'll sticky this thread as well.

If you want lyrics, why not ask the librarians next door? I'm sure they'll be happy to pitch in and get involved.

Unfortunately I'm no composer so all I can do is give moral support. XD Best of luck guys!

Captain Onimaru

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
You can count on me for album artwork. Just let me know what you need when you need it.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:03:56 AM »
As stated in Brohou, I will be handling the quality control aspect of the project. I will explain in more detail within the next few days.

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:52:59 AM »
If anyone actually ends up writing vocals and needs a singer, I'd love to help! I dunno if I should provide samples for something like that???

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
I'll toss my vocal cords into the singer ring as well, as much as no one ever buys vocal albums for the male voices. :V
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »
I'll toss my vocal cords into the singer ring as well, as much as no one ever buys vocal albums for the male voices. :V
odyssey is my favourite male vocalist
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

OverCoat

• OverCoat Music
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
What is Brohou?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
What is Brohou?
The southeast Touhou community is centered mostly around Brohou Project, which was our Facebook circle for those of us who revolved around the Georgia con scene. We were just buds who dressed up as girls with silly hats, so we called ourselves Brohous within our Touhou circle. Eventually, that became the overall name of the group. We have a Facebook and a Google+ if you're interested in joining! We want to have a more widespread presence and accept pretty much anyone, even internationally!

http://facebook.com/groups/BrohouProject
http://gplus.to/Brohou

OverCoat

• OverCoat Music
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »
Okay. I applied to join the FB group. I'm in Seattle though so I probably won't talk in there very much [unless some of you guys are going to Sakuracon!]. I'm just excited to work on some music here.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Okay. I applied to join the FB group. I'm in Seattle though so I probably won't talk in there very much [unless some of you guys are going to Sakuracon!]. I'm just excited to work on some music here.
We've got people everywhere in the group, so you can join in with whatever you want. In addition, I'm sure some of us have plans to go to Sakuracon at some point in the future. Do you plan on coming to AWA this year?

OverCoat

• OverCoat Music
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »
I'd love to but my current budget makes it unrealistic :( Would love to meet whoever flies out to Sakuracon though!

OverCoat

• OverCoat Music
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 02:15:07 AM »
Any further developments on this?

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:27 AM »
I am a budding, untested arranger who got into Touhou through its music.  Normally, I would have waited until my work is much more polished before making my debut, but this project is a rare opportunity and I really would like to contribute and share my music with the world.  Thus I really worry about passing the quality control.  :ohdear:

I plan on doing mostly classical arrangements (since that's the genre I'm most familiar with), though I might want to experiment with other genres later on.
So far, I haven't really done much, but here's what I'm most proud of so far (both are piano pieces):
So far I can only create MIDIs, but I am really looking into other formats that can really bring out the sounds I have in mind (like possibly WAV).

And if I do somehow manage to be a part of the project, here's some of the songs I would like to do:
  • Eternal Shrine Maiden
  • Night Falls ~ Evening Star
  • Flowering Night
  • The Dark Blowhole
  • Futatsuiwa from Sado
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »
Any further developments on this?
Artists do their best now and are preparing. I'll report when we're a little more ready.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »
Well, I might do an arrangement. Not sure about the theme yet though, maybe wait for the TH14 demo and see if there's some good themes to arrange? :3

Past work example:
https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcT2-KyBZcg

OverCoat

• OverCoat Music
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 04:57:33 AM »
I'm in the mood for some music makin'. Any progress? I can only watch warmly for so long :V

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
Sorry, I've been busy with boring life stuff for the past week - it's taken care of, though. Right now, while I'm still waiting for an update on the quality control stuff, what I've seen so far, you guys would be fantastic to have on the project.

Iba, I'd personally suggest looking into downloading something like Synthfont (do people even use that anymore?) and putting your MIDIs though VSTs, or even soundfonts. Some pretty good, free ones can be found here.

Also, since I forgot to do it when I first started the thread, I'll add contact info to the OP.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:43:27 PM by Lucidia »