Author Topic: Gensou Shoujo Taisen (Fantasy Maiden Wars) thread!  (Read 30319 times)

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
Re: Gensou Shoujo Taisen (Fantasy Maiden Wars) thread!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »
Can someone go over just how the game works? I'm not at all familiar with SRW, and the wiki doesn't have a gameplay section yet, so I could use a little help (and please, no directing me to SRW information).

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:20 AM »
If you play tactics type RPG, then you should sort of know how it works, if not, then it is tougher. At the start of a stage you get to
put whichever units you want in battle. You take your turn moving your units and attacking. Then the enemy takes it's turn. P attacks
mean it is a Post Movement attack, meaning you can attack after you move. The [ + ] looking thing means it is a danmaku attack, so it
uses the Range stat. The Fist looking thing means it is a melee attack, so it uses the Melee stat.
You can use special skills before the character completes their action. So, you can heal up everyone with that one character, given
that you enough SP. Between levels, you can equip characters, power them up by giving them bonuses or abilities and stuff like that.
Focus makes it so that you do not get penalties in the danmaku fields that the enemies create. Focus penalizes by making it so that
you move slower and you will still take damage if you dodge an attack, they call this grazing instead of completely dodging the attack.

Also, check the translated manual that comes with the translation patch to see more information.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
Did not know it had a translated manual. *Goes to read the manual*

Also, is there a way to grind without sacrificing WP? Because it sounds like you're all saying that to grind, you have to lose a mission and restart it, but that if you do that, you don't get any WP, and I'd rather not miss out on WP? So is there a way to grind without sacrificing WP? Or maybe is there a way to get WP besides as amission complete bonus?

EDIT: What do the 'sword cut' and 'laser' attack properties do? I didn't see an explanation of that in the manual. Also, how is 'Graze' earned? Is it by 'dodging' while focused (which is what I would expect), or is it a different method?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:50:46 AM by GuyYouMetOnline »

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 05:27:41 AM »
Graze is earned by killing enemies, dodging while focusing will not give you graze points.
You don't really need to grind at all in this game, but I guess you can do it if you really need the levels.
Spoiler:
Daiyousei
is one of the easier characters to level, since you can just heal people with her and level her up. The higher the level of
the unit that is being healed, the more XP you get.

I believe Sword Cut has a chance of stopping any attacks that have S on it.
Some skills defend well against L type attacks, like Marisa's skill and Rumia's skill.

achicken

• A Random Chicken Passing By
  • Das Nunstuck Git Und Slotermeyer
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
Wife Bonuses up to Level 2:
Well actually you can just savescum during intermission with about 60 WP to find out what you'll be getting...
Spoiler:
Reimu:
L1 Youkai Buster (forgot the percentage)
L2 Youkai Buster (forgot the percentage, but it's higher)

Marisa:
L1 Danmaku Power 20%
L2 Danmaku Power 40%

Keine:
L1 Teacher
L2 ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Alice:
L1 Hourai Doll
L2 ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Daiyousei
L1 Purity
L2 ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Cirno
L1 Freeze (reduces enemy movement if next attack connects)
L2 Freeze (enemy can NOT move if next attack connects)

Rumia
L1 (I forgot the name) (Reduces enemy accuracy if next attack connects)
L2 Shade+ (Shade now has strength of 1800)

Nitori
L1 Extending Arm (can use Item on adjacent ally)
L2 Extending Arm (can use Item on allies 2 squares away)

Youmu
L1 (Forgot the name) (Next incoming attack will be *AutoParried* if it is an (S))
L2 Gardener (Parry Level +1)

Also I find it ridiculous that Magician Barriers are nigh useless in this game, because it's like every (L) toting enemy I come across can pierce Marisa's and Alice's by default. How else can I increase the power of a barrier? I had Beam Coats in SRW4 that were more useful than Magician Barriers...

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
Levels are the only way to increase the barriers. Rumia is the go to girl, if you want to tank L attacks.
Wife Bonuses level up to level 3... Alice gets a better doll at level 3.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
Guess who had Keine hang back to kill the fairies on Marisa 3 and got screwed out of killing Sakuya!  Seriously, this is Marisa route, why can't I Alice-Nitori through that 4000 HP run away zone?  I only need 200 more damage, dammit!  (also me giving those first 20 WP to Nitori might have been dumb)
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

achicken

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
There's 3 things against you that stage:
- Keine can't move fast enough
- Sakuya is size L, meaning everyone except Keine deals 10% less damage to Sakuya.
- Sakuya has Elegant, meaning you can't scum a Critical Hit off her.

There's only one thing you can do - somehow grab the Tengu Wing from stage 2, (Yes, marisa's path has one, in a very obvious place), give it to Keine, and then make sure Keine is chasing after her rather than wasting time with the mooks. You need to have Keine Strike Assist Attacking with Headbutt if you want any chance in hell of killing Sakuya.

Meanwhile, 2 more comments.
- Characters don't Force Field when Grazing. Except Rumia.
- If you throw a Bomb on a given stage with a spellcard, the spellcard will NOT end up on your captured cards list, even if you used the Bomb before the Spellcard is declared. This is NOT stated in the manual in the Spellcards section (which says NOTHING about Bombs nullifying the opportunity to capture a spellcard), or the Bomb section (which doesn't mention Bombs resulting in uncaptured spellcards).

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »
What the heck? You will not capture a spell card if you bombed? Wow, that is very interesting.

Anyway, Keine's speed is not too much of an issue. You just need someone to block Sakuya's exit route. I think it is on the top right
corner of the screen. As long as you have one character standing there, she will not exit. Then you can take your time before engaging
her.
Once you engage her, you have 3 or 4 turns to take her out to get the WP bonus.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
I ended up restarting the stage and set up Reimu in melee range with Nitori backup to get the kill.  Yes, yes, Reimu then buggers off with the XP, I know, but at least I get the WP.  Also you don't get a chance to give Keine the Wing (which I do have) before the stage, because she isn't in your party then.

Another thing I found out the hard way is when Marisa 4 says it doesn't allow deaths, Alice's dolls count.  Their whole purpose is to be expendable though...
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

achicken

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
What the heck? You will not capture a spell card if you bombed? Wow, that is very interesting.

I'm not really sure; I think the card still counts as Captured for the purposes of getting Bonus WP; it just doesn't appear in the Options->Spellcards menu. I have to wait till Remilia to test this theory out, her Bonus says you need to capture ALL spellcards in that stage. 

For now, China's Spellcard appears as ???? to me, even tho I only bombed Elly in that particular stage, long before China declared it, and I DID destroy her in Turn 3 of Spellcarding or so.

Frankly, there are other anomalies in my Captured Spellcard list as well, like Sakuya's. I didn't capture Cirno's because I took the diplomacy route, yet I could see it as 0/1N. Sakuya retreated on Stage 3, and her card appears as ???? - which is pretty inconsistent.

PS: Is Forest Fire supposed to be in the list? I took down both of Patchy's cards without timing out or using a Bomb, and all I got was Princess Undine.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:18:51 AM by achicken »

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
I have no idea how spell cards appear as captured actually. I know I captured quite a few of them, but I just always assumed all you
needed to do was beat the card. From my spell cards list, I have Misdirection at 0/1, and Perfect Freeze at 0/2. Eternal Meek, Scarlet Devil
and Heaven's Punishment at 1/2. Everything else seems captured, but I have not done Marisa's route so card 2 is blank.

I failed Misdirection, because I did not know you were supposed to bring her HP to 0 when I played it. I also took the diplomacy
route and failed that.

PS: Is Forest Fire supposed to be in the list? I took down both of Patchy's cards without timing out or using a Bomb, and all I got was Princess Undine.
From my list:
06. Water Sign ~ 'Princess Undine'
07. Wood & Fire Sign ~ 'Forest Fire'.
Not sure if I wrote them correctly, since it cuts off. I only see Wood & Fire Sign ~ 'Fore~

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
I have no idea how spell cards appear as captured actually. I know I captured quite a few of them, but I just always assumed all you
needed to do was beat the card. From my spell cards list, I have Misdirection at 0/1, and Perfect Freeze at 0/2. Eternal Meek, Scarlet Devil
and Heaven's Punishment at 1/2. Everything else seems captured, but I have not done Marisa's route so card 2 is blank.

I failed Misdirection, because I did not know you were supposed to bring her HP to 0 when I played it. I also took the diplomacy
route and failed that.
From my list:
06. Water Sign ~ 'Princess Undine'
07. Wood & Fire Sign ~ 'Forest Fire'.
Not sure if I wrote them correctly, since it cuts off. I only see Wood & Fire Sign ~ 'Fore~

It's Forest Blaze, like in EoSD Proper.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2011, 08:56:20 PM »
In Chapter 9, i can't seem to
Spoiler:
attack Patchoulli and Koakuma because oft he danmaku field

Does anyone have this problem or is it me o.o?

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
Spoiler:

What exactly do you mean? Can you not get close enough because of the movement restriction? or are they just straight up unselectable as targets?
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 03:27:04 AM »
Spoiler:

You may want to close in a little more before you try attacking Patchouli seriously. I remember some of her danmaku fields being
especially nasty if you are in the wrong place. Kind of like
Spoiler:
Cirno's Perfect Freeze
, you cannot move in that one I believe.
Koakuma, I think you can just take her out without any real issue.

achicken

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
That particular field doesn't matter if you kill her during your turn. It's not that hard, honestly, the gal who throws it has less than 9k health. But, you WILL be forced to Focus move because only Marisa can snipe her outside of the field, and that takes 70MP to do so it's not a good solution. >_>

Focusing nullifies all danmaku debuffs including the move penalty, excepting the ones you see in the View option. So if a field has an effect like No Action, Focusing will NOT give you your Attack or Move command back, although it does allow you to have Full Defense and Evade against an incoming attack.

So even if you end up in
Spoiler:
Princess Undine's thickest area (-90% DEF, which allows Patchy to OHKO Keine!)
, as long as you're focused the game simply pretends as if those debuffs don't exist. Ironically  Characters that cannot Evade to save their lives will find Focus a boon, because the Graze "disadvantage" doesn't matter anyway.

(And frankly saying, having your movement halved by Focusing is a lot better than having move 1 after the Danmaku Field's debuff eats your entire rating. Only thing bad is, you probably won't be relying on Support Defend whilst Focusing, as the Evade replacement Graze overrides Support Defend if an incoming attack "misses".) 

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
Yeah, when I played this game, I did not know how to focus until I got to
Spoiler:
Remilia's
stage. It is possible that person
does not know how to focus.

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:26 PM »
What exactly do you mean? Can you not get close enough because of the movement restriction? or are they just straight up unselectable as targets?

It's actually both, because of movement restriction, i cannot select them to be targeted

You may want to close in a little more before you try attacking Patchouli seriously. I remember some of her danmaku fields being
especially nasty if you are in the wrong place. Kind of like
Spoiler:
Cirno's Perfect Freeze
, you cannot move in that one I believe.
Koakuma, I think you can just take her out without any real issue.

This is how it looks i can't even take out Koakuma for some reason, even if i move in the danmaku area, i cannot move forward but only backwards.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
There's your problem. Did you take down
Spoiler:
Kurumi
?
She runs the crystals that are the Stage Hazard. Take her down, and the stage gets a whole lot easier.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

XephyrEnigma

• XephyrEnigma
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
>Image

You can move as you normally would, its just that you cant move any further before the danmaku, becasuse it's cancelling out the rest of your move range. once you get next to it, you can start moving inwards. also, focus.

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 03:09:36 AM »
Yeah, the danmaku field is very strong there, so using focus is probably better.

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
Oh jeez, Focus mode! Thanks guys! Silly me hehe