Author Topic: Things people have said that made you facepalm.  (Read 34720 times)

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
Things people have said that made you facepalm.
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:17:33 AM »
Yeah, idk if there's a thread like this already but I had to put this up if only to share a terrible story with you.

At my school's anime club we were discussing doujin games and such and our president casually mentioned touhou, causing me and a few other students to go "AAAWWWWW YEEEAAAAAWWWWWHHHH"

:B

But yeah, one of these students I had no idea was a touhou fan, and didn't seem like one.  Anyone, one chick asks "What's touhou" and the guy who I suspected wasn't such a touhou fan explained that: "Touhou is a series of parody games where they put in weird loli characters into other games like Castlevania and Pokemon."

I was seriously about the flip a table.

So my instant reaction was STOP TAINTING HER MIND THAT IS NOT TOUHOU NO GO AWAY AND DIE SOMEWHERE THAT ISNT MY LIFE.

On that subject, what's the stupidest touhou related thing that you've heard someone type or say or whatever?

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: Things people have said that made you facepalm.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
> "Touhou is a series of parody games where they put in weird loli characters into other games like Castlevania and Pokemon."

While that isn't quite Touhou, you are already aware that they exist. I hope you do, at least. So I guess he's half-correct. :fail:

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Drake

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:48:54 AM »
Re: why is touhou popular

Because it has lolis. Lots of lolis. Plus, it's supposed to be a one-man project or something. Really, I think that those are the only reasons why it's so popular. It's simple logic, really: Japan's otakus like moe/loli + shmup combination, and weaboos like what the Japanese otakus like. Thus, weaboos also like moe/loli + shmup combination. Instant popularity in the west!

Other than that, Toehoe is your average shmup, but with high bullet density. I played it, and it just doesn't compare to other games of its kind (especially Einhander. I effin' love Einhander)

not the stupidest but one of the easiest things i could find

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:50:47 AM »
"Touhou is a sim-dating game"

Not only did I facepalm, I actually punched him right in the face.

I got suspended from school for 3 days because of that, but I'm not letting someone say THAT about my dear touhou project, oh hell no.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
touhou fans aren't crazy or have short tempers no way man

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »
touhou fans aren't crazy or have short tempers no way man

Nah, that's just me  :V

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:36:32 AM »
I really don't understand the anger towards these kinds of comments.  Then again, I tolerate just about everything.

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »
I really don't understand the anger towards these kinds of comments.  Then again, I tolerate just about everything.

I just really dislike it when someone says their a fan of something or are quick to make assumptions about something they know nothing about.

Curious Sign

• -Recollection- "Smugness of the Underground"
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:29:48 AM »

I just really dislike it when someone says their a fan of something or are quick to make assumptions about something they know nothing about.

Agreed.
I was playing EoSD in school. You know how some of the enemies have hexagram spell-circles around them? Somebody jokingly said I was playing a game about anti-Semitism because they resembled the Star of David. Even though it was meant to be a joke, it pissed me off on two different fronts for being both insulting to Touhou and the Jewish faith  :fail:

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 02:34:41 AM »
The fact that Remilia has a card called Star of David notwithstanding.  And Ran and Yukari and Mokou's swastikas.  Clearly this is the most anti-Semitic series ever.  ZUN is obviously a Neo-Nazi!!

yeahno

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Sabino

• Rusted Ruins
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 02:38:30 AM »
My sister went " 'Bad Apple' and that other touhou song you're listing to (Happened to be Saigetsu)have the same tune."

I didn't know what to say or what to think of, but just did a face palm... I wonder which part she was talking about....

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »
Everything said by a "secondary" touhou fan ever.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Luneth

• Down down, a clip round you, fall in drops, set a trap
  • Down down, a clip round you, get the trick of it.
    • I live here.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:23 AM »
More like palmface, I can think of a few things that made me want to palm someone else's face.

Basically though, whenever someone insults Touhou without any 'proof' of what they said is true. Also how when you show someone a replay they say "There's no way they're dodging all that, they must be cheating." I had that happen once. But when I then showed them one of my replays, and they said I must be cheating too, my palm quickly went from my face to theirs. (Almost anyways, but I really wanted to say that.)

jigglyppuff8

• Speed Anime Trance 8
  • Alco Dolce
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:58:40 AM »
I don't play the games that often anymore, so I'd be considered a secondary, but...
Everything said by a "secondary" touhou fan ever.
This. But more to the extent of basing ALL Touhou related conversations off of the fandom and associating the characters with their fanon rather than canon personalities e.g. Alice tsundere as FUCK, Marisa wanting to steal and spark EVERYTHING, and Patchouli not being able to take one step without having a fit of anemia.

tl;dr: People who disregard the canon and think they're fans.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 08:46:29 AM »
I don't play the games that often anymore, so I'd be considered a secondary
imho, You aren't a secondary if you at least know that there's a canon and said canon should not be displaced by fanon nonsense. Playing the games doesn't really have to matter since you can go to the wiki and read the endings and scenerios to find out things about the game's and what goes down and what doesn't.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
imho, You aren't a secondary if you at least know that there's a canon and said canon should not be displaced by fanon nonsense. Playing the games doesn't really have to matter since you can go to the wiki and read the endings and scenerios to find out things about the game's and what goes down and what doesn't.

I thought the wikis lacked the endings per ZUN's request

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Drake

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »
Most of the endings are flavor and/or lead to Extra. The epilogue and other things covered in the game manual are much more important. The endings are more there to give you a sense of accomplishment for beating the game.

in other words wiki doesn't have endings specifically but ere's point remains

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 10:02:48 AM »
"Touhou is a series of parody games where they put in weird loli characters into other games like Castlevania and Pokemon."

That is an intersting observation, but really just goes to show how widespread the Touhou phenomenon has become.
The guy obviously did not do his research well; but just because one's niche preferences are misrepresented is hardly a reason to get offended.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
On topic:

Anything touhou related on TVTropes. Anything.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
On topic:

Anything vidya related on TVTropes. Anything.

Fixed. These guys have got to be the most incompetent gamers on the Internet.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Anytime someone goes up to me while I'm playing Touhou FTGs and goes "LOL GRAPHIX SUCK gb2STREETFIGHTERANDTEKKEN IS REAL MANS GAME"

Any. Time. And each time they do, I feel like making them taste their own testicles.

...at least they get temporarily mesmerized by the patterns in STGs (OOH SHINY MY SHINY!).

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 02:04:40 PM »
Most anytime a rabid shipper says anything about shipping my face goes through my palm.  Not a typo.  And most of the time it's from the same boat, some of the stuff said my "Malice" fans make me wanna jump ship and go play Nitori.  Kind of related to the canon vs fanon stuff mentioned earlier.  In fact one comment that made me facepalm hard was about Patchy's anemia and her having a heart attack after one night with Marisa.  They could have played it up as Marisa being crazy awesome in bed, but nope it was Patchy is sick and stuff.

Also on a semi-related note, some of the crack pairing on the "Most Unlikely Pairing" pool at Danbo make me facepalm.  But in a good way.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
Also on a semi-related note, some of the crack pairing on the "Most Unlikely Pairing" pool at Danbo make me facepalm.  But in a good way.
Yuugen-Magan x Toyohime
Still OTP.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »
People who simply refuse to look past the female dominance of the cast. I tell them there is no creepy themes or whatever about all the main games, and just about all the fangames, but they don't believe me. I say it's actually no different than call of duty having men only, and they say "that's different", yet they never played a game or watched a game past the second they see some look fanart posted on a video. I hate it when people who have no damn clue what they are talking about say something is different, guh.

Halca

• Kawaii Bastard
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
As far as touhou fanon goes, I love it to bits, and I do quite enjoy shipping the characters.  At the same time, I ship characters in anything, even things that don't make sense (like in mmorpgs that have only been out for like a month, or children's stories.)

The only thing that turns me off with fanon is when people are convinced that it's fact and won't accept otherwise.  I also hate it when you can't bring up a character without a meme being spat at you.  Just TRY to mention Cirno at a convention...  the results are sad.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
OK, so, this is basically "parts of fanon I think are stupid" thread? Not against the topic at all, just want to be clear on that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
OK, so, this is basically "parts of fanon I think are stupid" thread? Not against the topic at all, just want to be clear on that.

I don't see why it has to be

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:13 PM »
I don't see why it has to be

Neither do I, I'm just noticing a trend.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »
easy target, is all

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
A friend of mine, of whom was introduced to Touhou by yours truly, argued against ME that Alice controls fairies, just off of one fanart of her.

Now, see, it's not that she realized that she was arguing against a guy who has had experience with Touhou for a good long time longer than her and instantly stopped herself in her tracks. Nono, she continued to fight this one out against me.

Yeah. There are plenty of other things I'd like to say about this particular friend, but I'll leave it at that.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.