Author Topic: Moriya Shrine Revolution Mafia - Game Over!  (Read 70412 times)

Faiz

• Faiz
Re: Moriya Shrine Revolution Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »
First off, I'll apologize for the editing, and I'll keep in mind not to do it again.

Following Ms. Marimi's inquiry I suppose I will share my thoughts. The first day was... stressful, to be honest, as it was difficult to understand everyone's words and actions and what their reasons might be.

My main suspicions in day one after my unvote were pointed at Ms. Evangeline McDowell. I agreed with Mr. MacStew in that Ms. McDowell appeared to be leading me into seeing that Miss Shoe was more likely to be scum than Mr. Makara was, and with the latter ending up as scum, it became a bit more suspicious. However, I didn't bring it up because I didn't feel too confident about this, and I was hoping to pursue this today as Mr. MacStew was going to do. His death overnight came as a surprise, given that it was his words that I was focusing on. I'm wondering if it was just an unusual coincidence given the circumstances, but I think that would be overthinking a bit. There was the additional fact that she had an apparent fixation on Miss Shoe; however, her recent explanation is amiable for now, so I'd like to take some time to consider it.

I'd also like to question Mr. Stuffman's preoccupation with Ms. Marimi. Besides a facetious vote at the beginning of the day and minor (seemingly paranoid) remarks to others, the majority of his posts have been made in order to interrogate Ms. Marimi, which strikes me as odd.

Mr. Mason's sudden vote towards Mr. McClane is unusual as well, but that has already been addressed multiple times, so I will wait for his explanation.

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2010, 05:08:38 AM »
Vote Chart

Miyako Miyamura (1): Silver Medal
Shannon (2): Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Miyako Miyamura
John McClane (1): Stone Mason
Sandor Clegane (1): Saki Marimi
Stone Mason (1): Sailor Moon
Razeluxe Meitzen (1): John McClane

No vote cast: Stuff Man, Shoe, Sandor Clegane, Razeluxe Meitzen, Shannon, Steven Stone

12 players still alive means 7 votes will lynch. There are about 47 hours left in the day.

Stuff Man, Sandor Clegane and Shannon will all be sent activity prods after I have posted this.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

Kiva-la

• Kiva-la
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2010, 05:15:22 AM »
##Vote: Shannon Since apparently I forgot to do that in my previous post.

Sasword

• Sasword
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »
Well, Steven's lack of a vote is very disturbing, and all this 'taking time to consider things' and 'he may be scum but maybe he isn't' really helping.  It would be helpful for us for you to vote who is scum.  As for Sailor Moon, you said that Gamzee's points were good, but that he was exaggerating Shoe's points to make him look more scummy, which strikes me as a little off.

DiEnd

• DiEnd
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2010, 05:52:27 AM »
As for Sailor Moon, you said that Gamzee's points were good, but that he was exaggerating Shoe's points to make him look more scummy, which strikes me as a little off.
I only said some of his points were good oh, I said "lots". Err, well, maybe I overstated that a bit. He gave a nonspecific number of good points :V But yeah, having good points doesn't make up for doing scummy things. It doesn't take many scumtells (when accurately read, of course) to identify a likely scum.

It's been a RL-day, and none of the three people nearly everyone seems to be waiting on have showed up :\

Decade

• Decade
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2010, 06:00:41 AM »
Good afternoon everyone, I am sorry that I am late again.  Before I say who I think is likely to be scum I would like to address the case on myself.

Quote from: Miss Miyamura
(strangely ignoring Sailor Moon, whose vote was further back)
....I did not see anything wrong with Miss Moon's vote, so I saw no reason to mention it.  I also didn't mention Mr. MacStew's for the same reason; it just would have been silly to bring them up in my opinion.

Shannon prodded me and Stone, but did not follow up at all on my responses.
I would have followed up if I had finished that post, but alas the day ended before I could.  I wanted to get my vote for Gamzee out there as quickly as possible since there was still a chance that Miss Shoe could have been lynched instead when I was typing it.  While I cannot prove that I was typing my post before Miss Marimi posted, if you look at the timestamps, I posted a little more than one minute after Miss Marimi.  My post was a little over 200 words, and typing 60 words in one minute is quite fast.  That is the only proof I can offer.

I am a slow typist and thinker in general, so I was not at all surprised that I was unable to get through two pages and post my thoughts on them before the deadline.

Furthermore, Shannon defends Shoe and says that her scumhunting is satisfactory and trying her best, but never explains why, which strikes me as cheerleading to gain town credit.
No one ever asked me what I liked, so I assumed it was self-explanatory.  I apologize that this was unclear.  When I was reading through her posts she looked genuinely interested in finding out more about peoples' alignments.  That is, I felt like she was asking good questions, and her thoughts were coherent and easy to understand and respond to.  She simply looked transparently town to me.

In the future, if something is unclear please do not be afraid to ask me to elaborate.  I try to explain things as best I can, but when I think something is obvious I can forget to explain it throughly.

She votes Sandor at a critical moment where Gamzee and Shoe had 4 and 5 votes respectively, seemingly as some sort of distraction to town,
I do not scum hunt like you.  It is very possible to lynch scum on D1, so I do not believe that the purpose of D1 is to simply form some bandwagons on anyone.  My vote goes on who I think is most likely to be scum (unless it's quite clear that I won't be getting my top pick, in which case I pick whichever case I like more), and that person was Mr. Clegane.  That is all there is to it.

Quote from: Miss Marimi
Voting solely for majority seems a little weird, especially if you believe both to be town. Perhaps it's just how games are played here.
There is absolutely no reason NOT to have a majority.  Again, Lady Moriya was benevolent in not requiring the majority, but having an incomplete bandwagon hurts wagon analysis later in the game.  While it is quite clear from my words that I preferred a Mr. Makara lynch over a Miss Shoe lynch, it is much easier to see that opinion in a vote count than in a wall of text.  Put simply, since it was clear that my choice was not going to be lynched I had to choose the next best option: picking which of the cases I like more.  My vote is a weapon that I cannot afford to waste.  My vote is also a way to remain transparent, so that people can easily analyze what I am saying.

Quote from: Mr. Meitzen
And at first, that seemed accidental. But there's just so many words, while she's saying so little. It's a bunch of useless padding, filled with cheerleading, smokescreens, fluff to make her posts look better, etc.
I am definitely wordy, and I apologize for that.  However, I do not see that much fluff in my posts (beyond simple role-playing, but I try to keep that to a minimum).  From my (obviously biased) perspective, my posts are full of opinions on people.  If I am unsure of someone I make sure to question them so I can get a better read, but otherwise I thought I was quite clear.  Are there any particular quotes (not posts, exact quotes please) that give you this impression because I do not understand where you are getting this impression from?

Okay, so upon rereading I think there is at least one scum ON the Miss Shoe wagon and at least one OFF the Miss Shoe wagon AND the Mr. Makara wagon.  The reasoning for the first is quite simple: she was the counterwagon to a scum wagon.  It would be strange if scum did not push that wagon at all.  The second requires a bit more explanation.

1.) The people on the Mr. Makara wagon look good to me.  The only one that's somewhat shaky is Mr. Mason, but Mr. Makara's interactions with him make me think that he is on Lady Moriya's side.  That is, it looked like Mr. Makara was trying to discredit him while he was arguing with Miss Shoe.  Between that and the timing of his vote I do not think he is worth perusing.  I was never bothered by Miss Moon's vote, and after Miss Miyamura explained her position I was not bothered by hers either (and this was before Mr. Makara flipped scum, she looks even less suspicious now).

2.) I doubt that ALL the people on the Miss Shoe wagon are scum.  I still have very few issues with Mr. McClane's vote (in fact, just about all of my problems with him stem from him being on the wrong wagon, so I do not think he is worth pursuing today), and it....just "feels wrong" for lack of a better term, for all of them to be on one wagon.  I suppose this feeling comes from the fact that I think scum would have tried to make a different counterwagon if it didn't look like Miss Shoe's was going to get any steam?  I apologize that I can't pinpoint exactly where this gut feeling is coming from, but that is the best explanation I have right now.

3.) I find it inherently scummy to not be on one of the major wagons at the end of the day (with certain exceptions, such as not being there at the time).  As I said above, a vote is also a way to be transparent.  Even if you think both of the wagons are town, you must surely find one of them better than the other (whether that be for informational purposes, or whether you just find one person more likely to be scum than the other even if it's just by a small amount).  Scum do not want their actions and opinions to be tracked easily, so I find it more likely that scum will be off both the wagons than town (these kinds of votes are usually referred to as "throwaway votes").

Okay, so looking at the wagons my top suspects are Mr. Clegane,  Mr. Meitzen and Mr. StuffMan.

Mr. Clegane I covered yesterday and my opinion of him has not changed.  That is a horrible reason to vote for someone, and his position on the wagon looks very suspect.  Even after his explanation, it just looks like a bandwagon hop onto the scum counterwagon.  Being abrasive is not a scum tell (especially not for this person who acts like this regardless of alignment), and trying to rationalize it like it is, is simply bad.  Scum is more likely to join a counterwagon late in the day to try to prevent their buddy from being lynched.  I believe they are also more likely to try to justify it with reasoning that makes little sense because A.) they have to make up reasons to vote for townies since they know they are not scum and B.) voting with no reason will make them stand out, and people are more likely to look at baseless votes than votes with bad reasoning (just compare Mr. Mason and Mr. Clegane).

Mr. StuffMan has done....absolutely nothing.  Nothing at all.  He spent all of D1 attacking Miss Marimi with....absolutely useless logic.  I believe Miss Marimi said it best: it was just tunneling based on wordplay with no actual scum hunting.  He also tried to undermine (the now confirmed townie) Mr. MacStew with bad reasoning.  There was no reason to view the bold on the fake Miss Shoe vote as anything but aesthetics since Mr. MacStew had already said that he didn't like the Miss Shoe wagon.  In other words, Mr. StuffMan's actions were basically active lurking, trying to call people scum for reasons that make no sense (since when was putting your vote on the person you thought was most likely to be scum a bad thing?), and trying to undermine a now confirmed townie.  Scum is more likely to active lurk because it makes them look active without actually saying anything.  If they do not say anything they cannot be held accountable for anything later, and they can change their opinion at the drop of a hat, so scum wants to post as little as possible.  I already explained why voting on bad reasoning is bad, and scum want to undermine townies so that people will be less likely to listen to them.

Mr. Meitzen has also been active lurking, and I don't like that he posted when there was little time left in the day, but did not join either of the major wagons.  It was quite clear that Miss Miyamura was not going to be lynched, so there was absolutely no reason to stay on her.  That vote was also a RVS vote, which is absolutely meaningless.  It's even more meaningless than staying off both wagons when you have at least made a decent case on someone!  His post today has essentially been rehash and a voteless ninja, bandwagon hop.  I believe I have covered why I think these things are more likely to be done by scum. 

I am also still suspicious of Miss McDowell, but I can't figure out why.  So, I do not find her worth pursuing until I can figure that out.

I apologize for all the words, but there have been complaints that I am not clear enough on why I find things scummy.  I....I do not believe I can get any clearer than this if I tried.  If something is still unclear I will do my best to elaborate though.

##Vote Sandor Clegane

W

• Heat Joker
« Reply #186 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:49 AM »
Got my prod and there's a whole lot of stuff to read through still.

Punch Hopper

• Punch Hopper
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »
(The following is completely roleplay and really has no bearing on the game)
* Shoe stumbles in looking a little worse for wear

OH! You would not BELIEVE the day I had yesterday! OK, so, a little background, there's the god like thing in the plane created by the plane creation engine incident who calls himself Schroedinger. And you know what that JACKASS did to me? I was wandering through and he STUCK ME IN A BOX! Oh, and not just any ordinary box, it was a box with an anti-magic field! So obviously I'm mostly trapped, but it gets worse. This jerk actually wires some POISON to the thing! I swear, Schroedinger's cat is supposed to be a THOUGHT experiment! Either way, he actually gets the thing to go off, and I think I'm done for, but fortunately I roll a 20 on my fort save and the poison doesn't affect me. He lets me out at some point after doing some weird epic magic to the box, and I claw his face. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to do a lot. Either way, I'm sorry about yesterday's absence, but it was kinda out of my control. Also, if you see Schroedinger can we lynch him?

(Roleplay portion over)

I'll admit, I am kicking myself REALLY HARD over dropping the Gamzee case. I feel utterly stupid for that. Further, I'm going to have to apologize for my late D1 behavior, because McDowell IS right about how it objectively looked. Flat out, I was being anti town just because I was sick of the people attacking me with flimsy reasoning, and ignoring my subsequent questions. So, I engaged in a little intentionally anti town play. This doesn't reflect well on me, and there's no excuse for it. For one who professes to be above their emotions, I sure let them get to me. Either way, at this juncture there's no real need to get into an argument about my play yesterday with Evangaline, I'll probably go a little stream of consciousness here since I have catching up to do.

I'll state that as of the end of D1, I still maintain someone defending me is scum. But I also remain convinced there is one scum on my wagon, and it's likely out of Evangaline, Sandor, or Steven. I'll admit that I'm not looking forward to the reread required to find the defending scum, so I'm currently content to focus on those three, though of course if something stands out today I'll gladly explore it. I do note that Shannon appears to be the top suspect for the scum within the defending Shoe bloc. I...can't say I'm too opposed to this, just not sure how much in favor of it I am. I recall getting bad feelings from Shannon's first wall, but couldn't find anything to justify them.

Anyway, starting from D2, I'm going to say Roddy was the only logical kill for scum. I was turning it over in my mind while I was stuck in the box.

Sue Wacko's notice is also noted, and I'll state I'm trying :3c.

Oh, right, there are a couple clarifications needed. This account is in a different time zone from my normal one. What confused me was the time difference, and I mistakenly was using my home time to calculate deadline as opposed to this account's time. That...probably explains at least some of the deadline errors. Honestly though, that post was careless and made more to get you rather than get scum. Again, lapse of reason. I don't necessarily think you are town, but I'd have to actually coolly analyze your posts to get an accurate case.

McLane brings up a good point about Stone Mason. The swing vote tell is pretty strong, but I'd really like reasoning for votes to surface in the future. Saki seems to have pretty solidly the right of it, but again, I caution you NOT to forget those defending me, for surely there's scum there. I'd also like to state that Gamzee had some terrible reasoning as well, and turned out to be scum. He was, of course, also rather hypocritical, which I'm not completely sure I'm seeing from Evangaline at this point.

@Sailor Moon: While Mason's reasoning leaves much to be desired, how do you plan to counteract the fact he was the swing vote onto a scum wagon? While I know the tell can be faked, it's still dangerous to do.

@Evangaline: You probably need to reassess your scumtells. Or even better yet, don't purely rely on "scumtells" and look more for scum intent. But that's just playstyle proselytizing :3c.However, quantitative scumtells are really dangerous, since you yourself admit that I posted more, so more was "wrong" with my posts. Generally a purely quantitative scumtell based analysis is going to tell you the most active player is scum. Or one of the most active, anyway :P.

@McClane: What leads you to the conclusion Stuff Man will produce more than Raze?

@Saki: Actually, this dovetails amazingly into what I was saying to Evangaline. A lot of people do quantitative scumhunting, so the more posts you make, the more likely you are to look scummy. LAL does work for a reason, but it works best combined with checking for scum intent in the posts that are made. Also, chainsaw actually came to mind D1 (but really couldn't be used without flips for obvious reasons), which is why I've reopened the door to Steven-scum.

@Razel: I'm gonna catch flack for this since it's borderline rolefishing, but I'm going to state that your denial of the Silver Medal looks slightly suspicious, since you are the one most recently admitting to suspecting Miyako. Also, at this point, I would think the Silver Medal is more likely town, but that's just a gut feeling. I also figured it was you who made it, but may I assume you're denying it here?

And wait, wait, WAIT. What happened to this!?

Further, that post reads more as if you intentionally hung back D1, whereas your latest post reads more as if you had no choice. While the two are not mutually exclusive, it feels odd and I'd like it elucidated. Honestly, this entire post reads quite a bit in contradiction of your prior one. While you have the right to change your mind, I don't see the dots connecting yet.

Steven's post is waffle upon IIoA. It doesn't say anything. Could you take a more solid stance please?

Shannon has a lot of words, which rather hypocritically I'm glazing over. I read the post once and don't recall it bugging me. Still not sure what to make of her.

And, caught up.

Yeah, I'm not really convinced Sandor isn't scum, so ##Vote Sandor.

[moriya]Cleanup in Aisle 5 completed[/moriya]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:35:42 PM by Suwako Moriya »

Ouja

• Ouja
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
@Shannon: Yeah, the reason I take issue with you voting for that reason is that... it's now proven your vote is a useless vote on a scumtrain. It wasn't necessary to place it as Shoe was already out of danger of ever reaching a majority, and no one was further expressing sentiments to swing to a Shoe train. Your motivation foremost seems to be that you wanted to be on the train so you could be proven to be on the scum train, which almost looks like scum trying to get town cred, honestly.

I haven't read your wall-of-text aside from the reply to me, so I'll get to reading that in a bit. Just wanted to throw that at you so you can consider where I'm coming from.

Steven, vote for who you think is scum pls.

DiEnd

• DiEnd
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
@Sailor Moon: While Mason's reasoning leaves much to be desired, how do you plan to counteract the fact he was the swing vote onto a scum wagon? While I know the tell can be faked, it's still dangerous to do.
Yes, this is a pretty good point in his favor. It's just that at the same time, there's so much about him that's bad. I'd like to at least explore this avenue, to keep bases covered. On that note, my vote is more for pressure then a want to him lynched more then my other two suspects, but they already had votes and a list of people waiting for their response. Being the swing vote probably made him the lowest priority of my suspects.

Shannon's post satisfies me, for now at least. I'll work on my other two suspects. Err, both of which still haven't posted, which doesn't really make them look any better.

Ryuki

• Dragredder
« Reply #190 on: August 10, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »
There's still something about Shannon that puts me off in her last post, but I can't put my finger on it. I think it's the repeated "scum would most likely do ______" and the ascribing so much importance on votes giving transparency when it's really the voting pattern that does that.

For now i'm going to add more pressure to Sandor. Though I can't dismiss the possibility that he's indeed had real life things getting in the way of Mafia, i'm also ~100% sure I know who he is and that he's not a nublet. So that leaves out one possible explanation to his behavior in my mind.

##Unvote
##Vote: Sandor Clegane

Ryuki

• Dragredder
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
EBWOP: Oops, forgot the bold.

##Unvote
##Vote: Sandor Clegane

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »
Vote Chart

Shannon (2): Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Miyako Miyamura, Razeluxe Meitzan
Sandor Clegane (4): Saki Marimi, Shannon, Shoe, Evangeline A.K. McDowell

No vote cast: Stuff Man, Sandor Clegane, Steven Stone

12 players still alive means 7 votes will lynch. There are about 34 hours left in the day.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Kiva-la

• Kiva-la
« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
(As I have a tendency to ramble when I have the time for it, I'll bold the things I find important/not just me rambling)

I'm honestly not sure where you're getting the impression that I was forced to hang back from the two trains yesterday, Shoe. I saw all the cases leading up to what made you and Gamzee trains, and didn't like any of them. I Purposefully hung back yesterday. I may not have been able to read all of the arguments for either side, but I did get to read a decent amount, and didn't find active scumtells. I will stand by that I thought you were both town. And I will actively avoid voting Town, even if they're the only options for the day, because we're supposed to be scumhunting. A vote is a tool that is easily tracked, and, IMHO, should only be placed where you believe there to be scum. You can hold this against me if I start voting someone purely because of train nonsense, too. Also, I mentioned the Silver Medal because I noticed it, and it seems to count as a vote. That is a dangerous tool, and something worth keeping an eye on, no?

Shannon, maybe you could quote what's so bad about my posts. Because, if I'm not mistaken, I'm the only one (sans Shoe) to mention the Medal, and I point suspicion (admittedly not much, and I do apologize if it wasn't clear) towards John. Although I will be blunt: I was getting that impression from all of your posts. Every part of them. Even the latest one, despite it being a cleaner read. Too many words, and I'll admit to being naturally suspect of mass-quoting, since that's an easy to way to look like you have a lot more to say than you really do. Combine this with your excessive use of words (something Shoe is/was almost as guilty of as you) and it's a bad combination. Pure and simple. My vote is not there for any sort of bandwagon, it is there because you are the scummiest person I've seen today.  Also, how am I active lurking? Please explain this. Active lurking is where someone doesn't post much, and when they do, they don't actually say anything. Point out a single one of my posts where I have contributed nothing. Just one. (Except the one where I had bullet-points, because that was me going "this is a giant mess that I can barely read, and you guys all seem to be hunting people for newbie mistakes")

Need to go, but you can kick me if I don't try to follow up on what Shoe was saying about a scum defending him/her, since that seems interesting.

Kiva-la

• Kiva-la
« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2010, 07:27:04 PM »
EBWOP: Seconding Shoe on scum intent >>> quantity of scumtell. Too easy to be trapped by small things, and then freak out when you're put over the fire, and only make more. It's a bad trap, and one that scum benefits from, not town.

W

• Heat Joker
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »
Yesterday was a mess but with regards to my take on Roddy's int-the-text-vote, the game is role-madness bastard mod from what I recall of the game info. If someone makes a strange move, I take in the possibility that it does something.

Quote from: John #135
Also, having read your (Shoe) posts, well.  If you're uneasy about Gamzee, join me on Mason.  I think the dirt on him is as hard as we're going to get today.  Sangor, reads less like a lurker and more like a guy who hates day 1, so I'm really watching for what he does Day 2 to make up my mind on him.

At the time of this, John was voting Stone Mason, Gamzee was at 4 and Shoe on 3 votes. Shoe pushed Gamzee to 5, a clear leader for lynching by that stage. I think this is an attempt to spring a rival wagon, especially when John was playing up Shoe's uncertainty to gather support.

Looks like I'm also going to have to back off.  Reviewed the Gamzee case, and it seems to be "Last person on a weak case" which I just can't stand behind.  So, it'll be going back to Shoe for me.

##Unvote: Mason, ##Vote: Shoe

And then this vote to make it Shoe at 4 votes and Gamzee at 5. I don't see John being as clean as you guys feel he is, these 2 actions make John a pick for scum in light of the flip.

Still with the 5-4 voting, Saki's vote secured the lynch. I think if Saki was scum, she would have just not voted and hoped someone evens out the wagons. Shannon's vote afterwards doesn't pack a lot of motivation. Given that deadline lynching was allowed and that she didn't like either wagons, why not elaborate on who she did want lynched? She claimed to be short on time, but just a show of names would have been enough to grab interest.

Quote from: Steven Stone #180
I'd also like to question Mr. Stuffman's preoccupation with Ms. Marimi. Besides a facetious vote at the beginning of the day and minor (seemingly paranoid) remarks to others, the majority of his posts have been made in order to interrogate Ms. Marimi, which strikes me as odd.

I thought there was something wrong with Saki so I follow through with my suspicions. Why would that be odd?

Quote from: Shannon #185
There is absolutely no reason NOT to have a majority.  Again, Lady Moriya was benevolent in not requiring the majority, but having an incomplete bandwagon hurts wagon analysis later in the game.  While it is quite clear from my words that I preferred a Mr. Makara lynch over a Miss Shoe lynch, it is much easier to see that opinion in a vote count than in a wall of text.  Put simply, since it was clear that my choice was not going to be lynched I had to choose the next best option: picking which of the cases I like more.  My vote is a weapon that I cannot afford to waste.  My vote is also a way to remain transparent, so that people can easily analyze what I am saying.

Your descriptions were brief and it didn't look like you had much redeeming things to say for Gamzee's defense. Of course, if you defended him too hard, it would reflect badly on you today. The fact that you voted, even when it wasn't necessary and then use wagon analysis about the people off Gamzee's wagon, you had to set yourself up an escape clause.

Getting through the rest of Shannon's post felt like wading through goo. Drop the unnecessary details and RP because I'm sure that's a portion of the padding that makes everyone glaze over.

Yesterday I would have liked to make it in time to hammer as it grants me a second vote if I do, but it's not a necessary thing to try get and I'll place my vote the moment I'm ready.

##Vote Shannon (L-2)

Faiz

• Faiz
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »
All right, it seems my biggest problem is being overcautious and unwilling to vote. I suppose I'll have to try and fix this, even though I don't feel too comfortable about it.

The case against Mr. Clegane is reasonable, but unfortunately the same case can be used to implicate me, so I'm not sure what I can think about that. After considering it for a moment, I've realized that at this point my only reason to vote him would only be to put pressure on, and I feel that there is plenty of pressure on him already, so I will just await his response.

I am unsure what my stance is on Ms. McDowell as of now. Her actions on day one were highly suspicious, yet today's explanation seems to make enough sense for it. However, I'm assuming that this is more overcautiousness, so I will take a risk for now.

##Vote: Evangeline A.K. McDowell

DiEnd

• DiEnd
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
##Vote Shannon (L-2)
I think you were looking at the wrong person in the votecount :V

« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
Raze, my main point is actually that there's a large difference between a vote with no reasoning behind it, and a vote with reasoning behind it.  One has something to argue against, which will lead to discussion that'll help piece together which side you're on.  The other, there's nothing to say.  It just is.

Shoe, I was more expecting Stuffman to talk because of past performance.  He may not have talked much about anyone besides Saki, but he talked a lot, while when Raze did speak it was usually a pretty simply "I don't like your cases" with no details beyond that.

Den-O

• Plat Form
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
So much for the Shoe case.  To those asking why I was so focused on Shoe and no one else, it's because I was seeing red at that point and didn't want to believe that Shoe's play could be anything but a scum gambit.  Was being rushed, didn't have time to take more time to look at other players, so I posted the most obvious observation.  By "scum gambit," I mean that I thought I saw scum intent in the way she was stirring up shit.  Didn't think that a town-Shoe could possibly believe that that was helpful to town, especially after all the flak she's taken for that playstyle in the past.  It's because of her meta, not despite it.  Disappointing as it is, I've got to admit that it's really really unlikely that she's scum at this point and move on.

Can't really blame the people riding on my wagon at the moment, though I'm going to be online all day today, so if you want to grill me, this is the time.  As for who I think is scum, I'm not sold on the idea that there were scum pushing for Shoe's lynch.  Shoe was digging her own grave, and I think the critical point here was that there couldn't have been a competing possible-scum wagon that scum was trying to prevent, not until Shoe already had most of her votes on her, because no one else had had more than a couple of votes on him by that point.  Scum might've been on Shoe by pure chance, but her case didn't have any of the hallmarks of a scum-pushed lynch by that point in the day.

Then the Gamzee case came out of nowhere.  After the post #93 votecount, scum would've realized that they were in danger of being lynched.  The wagons were even at that point.  The actions that catch my attention there are John McClane jumping off and then back on the Shoe wagon (not sure what to make of that), and Steven Stone jumping on and then back off, which looks to me like a real bandwagon-swinger.

Saki and Shannon jumped on Gamzee at the last minute, but as has been said, Gamzee was fairly certain to get lynched by that point, especially by the time of Shannon's vote.  Can't call that scummy by itself.  People jump on at the end of trains all the time just to cement them. I need to do a lot of re-reading to evaluate the other cases out there, but I just got back here for the first time since the start of the day and I want to get my impressions out there.

For now, voting Steven Stone for looking to me like the most obvious attempt to save Gamzee.

##Vote: Steven Stone

And I'll say this one more time.  IF YOU WANT TO GRILL ME, DO IT NOW, 'CAUSE I'M HERE ALL DAY FOR ONCE!

Cut by 4 replies, posting anyway.

Punch Hopper

• Punch Hopper
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:56 PM »
* Shoe sighs

OK, I'll be honest here. I am suffering from horrible confirmation bias on Sandor because he pisses me off that much. It's hypocritical as hell for me to say this, but his condescending posting asserting terrible reasons (in my eyes), and still being rather unapologetic for them makes me want to lynch him REALLY BADLY. I'm certain we will not agree on this point, and I'd like to avoid getting in a huge fight about it. I guess my best bet is to go with "I'm trying to back the fuck off, can you please be a little less condescending?"

Anyway, after 15 minutes of meditation, and some coolheaded refreshing of some simple spells, I can allow my intelligence to prevail. Basically, Sandor's post rubs me as neutral. The worst I can find is it feels a lot like Steven is being used as a scapegoat by him, and that he seems intent on making it seem like my lynch wasn't pushed by scum. (I will, however, note Gamzee's position on the wagon implies otherwise if I remember correctly, which it's quite possible I don't. He was second, right?) Since I already do have a scum read on him since I do feel that his actions speak of scum intent, regardless of what I think of his attitude, his post has not persuaded me to change my vote. I do realize I have to be aware of my bias and think past it, because I know my attitude is very colored and if I were voting him solely for irritation, I'd be guilty of the same things I accuse him of.

Anyway, Raze, the reason it feels like you were forced is because you say you were busy D1, but one of your posts says you were hanging back (I forget if it was the earlier or later one). You also don't adequately explained what changed with Miyako. Could you elucidate that for me? Also, going to say that your playstyle deprives town of information. That doesn't make you scum in and of itself, but it makes me more weary of you. Hopefully the votes you DO make will ease this discomfort.

@Stuff Man: What about...Miyako I think? It was Miyako or Saki, who also pushed a secondary wagon at about T-6.5. I agree that John's looks worse given the target, but I'm curious about what you think of the other weird late day votes.

@Steven: The problem with your posting is you contradict yourself every paragraph. Even when you vote, you're saying it in such a way that hedges your bets. I'd prefer you to take more solid stances and own your positions. It makes you seem less shifty. Only reason I'm not jumping on you for it is I read you as newb town at this time.

@John: Checks out.

Den-O

• Plat Form
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
I'm only restating the points because people are saying they want my reasoning.  If you see where I'm coming from, then I'll drop it.

As for Steven Stone being a scapegoat, I know that he's clearly a newb and all, and of course I'm considering his newbiness a nulltell here.  All I'm saying is that his timing looks really really suspicious. 

And as for the Shoe case D1 being "scum-pushed," I'm doing a re-read and here's how I see it.  Shoe was basically the first case of the day, and she got four votes really quickly.  There's no reason for scum to pick out Shoe for death early in the day and stick all their necks out with coordinated action when there were any number of other townie bandwagons that might get started up.  Once Gamzee appeared as a rival wagon, yeah, of course scum would have a vested interest in seeing Shoe lynched instead, but any votes placed before that point are nulltell.

So.  WHY IS IT THAT AS SOON AS I'M FINALLY HERE PEOPLE STOP POSTING!

Skull

• Skull
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:08 AM »
That Clegane fellow there, you are saying scum may be hiding in others trying to build up wagons that were apart from the two main ones: Shoe vs Gamzee

Would you kindly take a look at other players who were trying to do this? I would like to get your perspective on others' actions, myself included.

DiEnd

• DiEnd
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
Hey Mason, are you ever going to elaborate on your McClane vote, which me and several others have expressed interest in?

I still don't like Sandor. His points for the Shoe wagon not being scum-pushed at first (for example, when his vote was put on) make sense, but at the same time, his jump onto the Shoe wagon still looks bad; plus, convincing people Shoe's wagon wasn't scumdriven would be beneficial for him and/or any scum on said wagon. I could see him being town as well now, but I still currently find him as the scummiest. Mason is creeping up a bit, but him being the swing vote makes it difficult for me to really want his lynch.

Ryuki

• Dragredder
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:11 AM »
I'm satisfied with Sandor's response at the moment. At least, more satisfied than I am with Steven now, after getting tipped off to do some digging.

After the post #93 votecount, scum would've realized that they were in danger of being lynched.  The wagons were even at that point.  The actions that catch my attention there are John McClane jumping off and then back on the Shoe wagon (not sure what to make of that), and Steven Stone jumping on and then back off, which looks to me like a real bandwagon-swinger.

For Steven Stone, it only *looks* like a real bandwagon-swinger. Shoe's vote was sitting on you, and it was clear that her vote was a virtual vote on the Gamzee bandwagon since she said that she's go on Gamzee if the Sandor bandwagon didn't pick up steam.. So at the time of the Steven's vote on Shoe, you could consider both to be at L-3. John's unvote is the REAL bandwagon swinger..

Heck, you could consider Shoe to have an even bigger lead, if you consider Saki as a virtual vote too (since I believe she made it clear that she preferred Gamzee's wagon well over Shoe's).  So at the time of John's unvote, you could consider the Gamzee bandwagon as leading by 2 votes. At that point, Steven unvotes.

Also, I think I just discovered a potentially big scumtell slip implicating Steven: Gamzee potentially letting slip that he knew Steven was a new player before it was outed.

BuT MaN I'M NoT FeElInG MuCh fUcKiN GoOdEr AbOuT ShOe, YoU KnOw? A LoT Of tHe pArTs oF ShOe's pOsTs aRe aLl sTrAiGhT Up wEiRd fUcKiN PaRaGrApHs oF In-cHaRaCtEr fLuFf tHaT DoN'T AcTuAlLy cOnTaIn  MuCh cOnTeNt, HeR BlUrB On eVaNgElInE BaReLy aCtUaLlY GoT AnYtHiNg aCrOsS AsIdE FrOm a bUnCh oF RpG ShIt. AsIdE FrOm tHaT, jOhN McClAnE PrEtTy mUcH HiT ThE NaIl oN ThE FuCkIn hEaD HeRe, LyNcHiNg sOmEbOdY FoR BaD PlAy iS MoThErFuCkIn sTuPiD, jUsT BeCaUsE ThEy aReN'T AlL ChIlL WiTh tHeIr gAmE YeT DoEsN'T MeAn tHeY ArE AcTuAlLy sCuM

Important part bolded. Before it was ever 'outed' that Steven Stone was a new player, Gamzee already seemed to know and was incorporating it into his defense of Steven at the same time he hopped onto Shoe's bandwagon. Saying "aren't chill with their game yet" implies bad play due to inexperience from not having played much before, and more importantly Gamzee's knowledge of this inexperience. There's a difference between saying someone is derpy/bad player, and new.

Later, Gamzee pushes Steven's noobiness to the front of his defense, which people seem to accept as a good explanation:

@ ShOe: BrO, i rEaLlY CaNt sEe nO FuCkIn sCuMmY InTeNt iN StEvE'S PoSt, JuSt nUlL TeLlS AlL Up aRoUnD. HiS BlUrB AbOuT MaSoNs aCtUaLlY SeEmS MoRe lIkE An oVeRcAuTiOuS NeWbIe tO Me tHaN ScUm aTtEmPtInG To rAiLrOaD Us iNtO OuTiNg oR DiScUsSiNg rOlEs, EvEn iF It wAs uNnEsSeCaRy aS MoThErFuCk.

While we may be able to universally agree that Steven is a new player, it's more than possible that scum could use this to their advantage (or at least mitigate the weakness of having a new person on their team). Using newness as a buffer to dismiss feelings of scumminess towards him.

So here's my theory of ScumSteven:

1. Steven makes the mistake of randomly mentioning accomplices and roles in RVS phase, attracting some ire from Shoe and puzzlement from others.
2. Gamzee defends Steven's from shoe by playing up the derp and newness. Tells Steven to lurk for a while so things can blow over, and people can associate Steven with 'new player'. And bonus, if a bandwagon forms on Shoe as a result of the chainsaw defense, all the better.
3. Steven decloaks and comes in at an opportune time to even out the bandwagons.
4. In response to questioning, he cites reasons like  'I wasn't aware that it wasn't a good thing to wait to post my suspicions or make a vote' and " the only vote Shoe made was towards me, because I was being stupid and playing badly. " Playing the noob card again.
5. Once John unvotes Shoe, Gamzee could be considered leading the bandwagon by two at this point (counting Saki and Shoe's virtual votes at least). At this point, Steven hops off Shoe to save face, since if Gamzee is flipped Shoe is obvTown. Plays up the noobness even more here: " I'm not too experienced at spotting liars or deceit, and at this point I can't see anything definitively wrong with anyone." Hell, I even called him out at that point for saying Shoe had the best case on her, immediately before unvoting.
6. Notice he still leaves the option of his vote open at the end of the post, with "There's approximately four hours left and I'm at a loss as to what I can do." This is just begging for the opportunity of using someone else's lead as a scapegoat.

It troubles me that it's so easy to dismiss Steven's actions as noob nulltells, and i'm sure that his vibe of inexperience is enhanced by the fact that he actually *is* new.  But what else is there aside from the noob defense that's keeping us from lynching him right now? I'm drawing a blank.

##Vote: Steven Stone

Den-O

• Plat Form
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2010, 03:44:40 AM »
I FORGOT TO MENTION IN MY POST THAT, YES, THE WHOLE REASON GAMZEE AND SHOE WERE FIGHTING WAS THAT GAMZEE WAS CHAINSAWING FOR STEVEN!  Argh.

Regarding who the bandwagon swinger was, I think that by the same way that you say that Shoe's vote might as well have been on Gamzee, you can also say that McClane's vote was unlikely to stay off Shoe except in the unlikely event of his own pet case taking off.  Hypotheticals aside, Steven's vote was at least placed at a critical time.

I've just gotten done with my first full, leisurely re-read of the game, and I'm feeling a bit more solid on where I stand on everyone now.  My notes:

Raxeluxe's #79 bugs me because he basically just manages to sidestep...  everything, really.  Empty advice and some predictions about where scum are that apparently come straight from his crystal ball.  Predictions like "You'll find 1 scum on this train and 1 scum on either this train or this one" sit really really poorly with me, 'cause there's really no way to know how many scum are in a given group.  You can do a little tiny bit of guesswork based on what scum's strategy as a whole might be, but that's only if they're being stupid and coordinating strategies, and you shouldn't rely on that.  Townies shouldn't even be thinking along those lines, except in the most basic sense of "Maybe scum had agreed to bus beforehand?" or something.  The only way to reliably find scum is individually.

The way that he manages to remain irrelevant afterwards only makes him look worse.  If you're really so experienced at mafia to be giving advice, you should know that this isn't the way to help town.  And if you know that this isn't the way to help town, then you shouldn't be doing it unless you're scum.

Hard to tell whether bussing was a factor in Gamzee's lynch, but as has been said, Stone Mason's switch looks least convincing.  Wouldn't support lynching him at this point 'cause there's people who weren't lynching scum that we should look at first, but it's something to be noted.  I want to see him explain his actions today more, too.

Stuffman's tunneling on Saki started looking to me less like scumhunting and more like he was looking for some excuse to park his vote on her early on Day 1.  Worthy of noting as others have done, but falls into more "weird" and "unhelpful" than scummy for me.  Don't have any issues with him today so far.

Getting to Shannon, I definitely see the complaints about her.  Major hypocrisy in saying that everyone should have their vote on a major wagon, when hers came too late to make any difference at all.  Makes the normally irrelevant vote on Gamzee at the end of the day look more like she's scum trying to make herself look better.  I don't like the way that her post at the end of the day seems to be lining up lynches, either, riling people up to purge the Shoe wagon.  Planning too far ahead with lynches looks like scum trying to lock things down and reach a predictable endgame.

I could get behind a Shannon lynch or a Razeluxe lynch today.  Sticking with Steven Stone at the moment because I find his direct connections with Gamzee more important than the isolated scummy play from the other two.

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2010, 04:05:30 AM »
Vote Chart

Shannon (3): Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Miyako Miyamura, Razeluxe Meitzan, Stuff Man
Sandor Clegane (3): Saki Marimi, Shannon, Shoe, Evangeline A.K. McDowell
Evangeline A.K. McDowell (1): Steven Stone
Steven Stone (2): Sandor Clegane, Evangeline A.K. McDowell

No vote cast: No one!

12 players still alive means 7 votes will lynch. There are about 24 hours left in the day.

Ryuki

• Dragredder
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:42 AM »
Speaking of Raxeluxe's #79:

- Bad play (newb play) is a null tell, pure and simple. Anybody who tries to argue otherwise is just smokescreening, and likely scum, since seriously what could ever convince you that bad play is a tell in either direction.

Definitely something to keep in mind if Steven flips scum, as this piece of advice seems to be overdoing it. Also, not a big fan of  "Real life comes before game, so don't read into my active lurking kthx" found throughout Raxeluxe's posts, or the "sorry, but i'll be gone most of the day for the next few days" bit.

Kiva-la

• Kiva-la
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »
Congratulations, you two, on finding my post from before I'd even really managed to get into the game and all I had was guesswork and assumptions based on experience from previous games. Want a cookie? Still unimpressed with people trying to pin me because I can't be around all the time. At least you're trying to find something actually wrong about my posts, Sandor, so props to you for that, though I hope you don't mind me pointing out how incredibly weak a combined argument of having my assumptions be stated as truths (which I will apologize for, but as I've stated before, I genuinely dislike how hard it was to read/catch up D1, so I hope you'll excuse me for being a little flippant) and me not being able to be around and be more helpful is. Especially given how much there was to read through on D1. Seriously.

And John, if you'd like to actually talk about one of the current cases/make your own? That'd be lovely.

Shoe: I never had a strong case against Miyako, it was just the strongest one I had throughout D1. I feel I have a stronger case now, and have followed through on it.

Anyway, as promised, read through people defending Shoe: - Sailor Moon gives off a serious vibe of knowing more than she should, but I can't tell if that's purely Meta, since she seems to be the first one to point out Shoe's towniness and seems to be able to tell who has the account, despite them falling into a "MotK tradition of ultimately lynching derptown." Also seems to chainsaw Gamzee to help Shoe with some... so-so reasoning. Doesn't feel strong enough for a chainsaw, is my only real problem with the reasoning, since D1 is D1. Being second on Gamzee has me leaning towards crazy Meta powers, however.

- Miyako faintly protects Shoe, but mostly is calling for Gamzee's head. Nothing to really point out here; is third on Gamzee.

- Stone Mason just seems to have bad play, dropping things left, right, and center to say "Look at me! I'm Town! Shoe even says it, yup." (In fact, one quote is, "You are correct however, I have a Town alignment." while talking to Shoe) This is made even worse by the fact that he's the one who ties things up, claiming it as "pressure." Erg. Not liking this whatsoever.

- Shannon has been done over and over and over. Moving on.

- Way later, after some pseudo-defense by Saki (which was more of pointing out flaws in a case and pursuing that person than actually defending Shoe), Sailor Moon comes in saying that Shoe's reluctance to actually vote Gamzee isn't really that bad, despite admitting to very good reasons for why she should have voted Gamzee. Derp.

Taking a break here to point out Saki's post here which actually begins with a decent point against Steven Stone, and combined with the possibility of him purposefully playing up the newbiness (which I've noticed he only starts doing after people start defending him for it) I'd say that's a pretty serious strike against him, as that looks more like stretching for a case than an honest mistake.

- Blah, blah, more pseudo-defense by Saki via tearing apart weak cases... Oh, and Stone's unvote post (recently been linked, unless my memory fails me that badly) is INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS HOLY CRAP. I can't... there's just too much to even talk about there. Bah. Also kinda funny how Shoe is mentioned at least once in... I think every post on page 5?

And that was everything I saw in terms of defending Shoe. Ugh, need sleep, will re-read and analyze what I've said tomorrow morning, though Steven and Stone Mason are looking pretty terrible, with Sailor Moon being a little eh from the re-read. (Bookmarking this post so I can be sure I see it)

W

• Heat Joker
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
You people with similar looking names confuse me. My vote is still on Shannon, L-minus number is wrong only.

Saki's alternative wagon starter did not fall back on one of the major wagons of the day. Saki was actively pressuring Steven whether or not a post came, it reminds people why she's voting the guy.

Quote from: John
I'll just say this.  You say six hours isn't enough time.  I say I've seen a man stop a train at L-1, and get a man at no votes lynched in fifteen minutes.  In rules that said that there would be no lynch if there wasn't majority lynch.  And I also say that Stone Mason's jack all is the worst looking thing in the field right now.  Though, if it doesn't stick, well, just like you, I've got a major train to fall back on that I just happen to agree with.

John posting something like this reads to me that he wasn't fully into his case. Come Day 2, how does Stone Mason measure up in John's books?

Quote from: Evangeline
Important part bolded. Before it was ever 'outed' that Steven Stone was a new player, Gamzee already seemed to know and was incorporating it into his defense of Steven at the same time he hopped onto Shoe's bandwagon. Saying "aren't chill with their game yet" implies bad play due to inexperience from not having played much before, and more importantly Gamzee's knowledge of this inexperience. There's a difference between saying someone is derpy/bad player, and new.

I don't regard Gamzee outing Steven as a noob to be a valid basis for deriving him as scum. I was the first person to sign up for the game (submitted my role to Suwako months ago), the signups are in chronological order as far as I can tell. It ws blurted elsewhere that the person behind Steven would be playing and he had no idea of how to play. Basically a whole lot of people knew who he was and that he was new.  You're really making some huge stretches to say that Steven's day end actions were because of Gamzee's coaching.