Author Topic: Alpha Go! Breach, Bang, and Clear! (Rainbow Six 1 - 3, SWAT 3 & 4, ect.)  (Read 2746 times)

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
"There's this clarity you get when you focus on the moment, the unknown, the danger behind the door.
You position your team.
You secure your weapon.
You take a deep breath,...
...and pray to God you're ready."

A thread for those who think balaclavas and goggles are fashionable all year long.  ;)

I really like the mix of tactics and adrenaline offered by indoor/CQB type tactical shooters. Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield and SWAT 4 in particular are a couple of my favorite games. Hopefully I'm not the only one here likes these kinds of games. (though knowing my luck maybe I am)

What games do you like? Are there any you would recommend?

What tactics do you prefer? Do you prefer a more methodical or a more dynamic approach when going room to room? Do you prefer a shotgun or explosive charge for door breaching?

Have any funny or interesting stories to share? Have you had any interesting successes or hilarious screw ups?

I currently have SWAT 4 and its expansion installed and am in the process of trying to get Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield to work on my laptop.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

I played the SWAT 3 demo years ago.  I had no idea what to do during the mission and ended up shooting everything in sight.

Are there any good tactical shooters being made now?

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
I played the SWAT 3 demo years ago.  I had no idea what to do during the mission and ended up shooting everything in sight.

Are there any good tactical shooters being made now?

Not very many. Apparently tactical shooters don't sell well to the Halo / Modern Warfare 2 generation.  ::)

There's ArmA 2 which was released last year, but it focuses more on much slower paced outdoor combat. If you don't mind that it's worth checking out if you have a good PC.

As far as faster paced indoor games go, your options start to thin out and pretty much disappear. The Rainbow Six series is still going, but it's not much of a tactical shooter anymore.

The latest one I'd be comfortable recommending would be SWAT 4, and that's about four years old by now. There's also Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield but that's even older. You can get both of them pretty cheap nowadays.

SWAT 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2_r_96ZbI

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai1Uk1kMcn0
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:20:21 AM by Professor Paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

Vicks

• Hurr Durr
  • WRYYYY
So far, I only have played Rainbow 6 Vegas. Was an awesome game, and from that day on, I never doubted the usefulness of a riot shield.
I am a thinker. I cast light on various concepts. I can unveil the world's dark secrets if I so please. And yet, there is a single enigma that even I cannot clarify.  - Renko Usami

I am a dreamer. I wander through countless dreams. If I will, I can even walk the roads of the land of illusion. And yet, there is a single vision that even I cannot grasp. - Maribel Han