Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 5  (Read 60217 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3, Part 5
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2014, 02:55:53 AM »
>Nod
>"Right enough. Though I imagine a larger home is not what you were thinking about when you mentioned it first?"

>Rin chuckles quietly. "Well, no. I don't know that I was thinking anythin' specific. And it would sorta depend on the slave, some would take to this kinda life better than some others. I know I've got my... issues, with that side of life, but I'm not as bad as a lot of others out there."

« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »
>"Just... well, I guess it's often nice simply to have companions to share your time with, no matter your lot."

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
>"Just... well, I guess it's often nice simply to have companions to share your time with, no matter your lot."

>"After living with you, I know how true that can be. I mean, I think I knew it then, too, just not as well, if that makes sense."

« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2014, 05:07:59 AM »
>"You didn't really have a chance to experience it yourself."

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
>"You didn't really have a chance to experience it yourself."

>"Not often, no, you're right about that."

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
>"Well, no matter what lies in our future, at least we know we have comrades to share the road with - and more to come, I hope."
>Give her a little hug
>"Now I should probably contact Kiku."

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »
>"Well, no matter what lies in our future, at least we know we have comrades to share the road with - and more to come, I hope."
>Give her a little hug
>"Now I should probably contact Kiku."

>"I sure hope so."
>There is still that little fleck of happy surprise in Rin's body when you hug her. That little sign that still says, 'I can't believe this is my owner now.' She says nothing as she returns the gesture, but you can sense that inner joy at this simple act of affection.
>Rin nods, separating herself from you.

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
>Reach out to Kiku
>Kiku, may I speak with you a moment?

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
>Reach out to Kiku
>Kiku, may I speak with you a moment?

>Rin turns her attention to the washing of the soaking dishes as you turn your mind's voice out towards the other feline member of your group. Her voice returns a moment later, What is it, Byakuren?

« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »
>The ritual you spoke of for tonight. When is it to take place? And about how long might it last?

« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2014, 10:56:44 PM »
>The ritual you spoke of for tonight. When is it to take place? And about how long might it last?

>Sunset. As for how long, that largely depends on Toune. It is her magic and will that is the center of the ritual.

« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
>Sunset would be about when, currently?
>Could you at least estimate roughly?

« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
>Sunset would be about when, currently?
>Could you at least estimate roughly?

>At this time of year, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6 PM.
>Kiku makes a thoughtful noise. If I had to guess, I would say no less than an hour. But that would be the earliest it would be over, an hour. It could take as much as all night. Given that it's Toune.... Mmmm.... Possibly two hours? Maybe more? There's really no way to tell until we begin.

« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
>Wasn't that around when we were to meet with those mikos?
>And would Satori be present for the entire ritual?

« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
>Wasn't that around when we were to meet with those mikos?
>And would Satori be present for the entire ritual?

>It was indeed.
>Satori? The tiger youkai pauses, and you can almost see her leery expression from here. You're... planning something, aren't you.

« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »
>Simply considering. It occurred to me that if she were to be cloistered away at a known location for a known period of time, it might be more possible for someone to move about the shrine and investigate certain things that would ostensibly be off-limits. I realize this carries risks that a more patient approach might not, but I feel increasingly that we need to at least get the measure of exactly what threat we face there and how wide its reach. As things stand, the spectre of it limits my freedom to invite other people into our circle and there were several opportunities just today. I admit I fear that prudence in the matter at your shrine may leave us underprepared for matters elsewhere.

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
>Simply considering. It occurred to me that if she were to be cloistered away at a known location for a known period of time, it might be more possible for someone to move about the shrine and investigate certain things that would ostensibly be off-limits. I realize this carries risks that a more patient approach might not, but I feel increasingly that we need to at least get the measure of exactly what threat we face there and how wide its reach. As things stand, the spectre of it limits my freedom to invite other people into our circle and there were several opportunities just today. I admit I fear that prudence in the matter at your shrine may leave us underprepared for matters elsewhere.

>Are you proposing that you slink about the shrine trying to unearth the root of the darkness surrounding the Metal Tiger Shrine?

« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
>....maybe. If the circumstances are indeed ones that might facilitate this - hence my asking.

« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
>....maybe. If the circumstances are indeed ones that might facilitate this - hence my asking.

>Even before she answers, you prepare yourself for a rather stern retort. You know Kiku well enough to know that she probably will have a large number of objections to that idea. Instead of any of the ones you can imagine she must be thinking about, however, Kiku's voice comes back with, That's rather bold of you, Lotus.

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
>I fear that we can ill-afford to wait - we do not know when the other champions will show themselves and some of them promise to be much more powerful than those we have already faced. So long as this other threat remains veiled, we are exposed to greater risk on both fronts. It is difficult to predict what dangers might be presented by the darkness at your shrine without knowing the agenda of the force behind it, and operating conservatively because of this denies us the chance of allies we might end up needing against the demons.

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
>I fear that we can ill-afford to wait - we do not know when the other champions will show themselves and some of them promise to be much more powerful than those we have already faced. So long as this other threat remains veiled, we are exposed to greater risk on both fronts. It is difficult to predict what dangers might be presented by the darkness at your shrine without knowing the agenda of the force behind it, and operating conservatively because of this denies us the chance of allies we might end up needing against the demons.

>I agree. Kiku replies. No one wants this matter settled more than I. However, I have not uncovered anything that could be considered a lead for you to explore here. For any of us, for that matter. I am no closer than I was yesterday. Do you believe your presence here would yield a different result?

« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
>I don't know. Maybe not. But I have seemed more sensitive to the impressions of magic and other supernatural powers than several of our number. Maybe I might notice something that you hadn't?
>Had you been able to examine the sacred flame after gaining back the memory of what happened there?

« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:54 PM »
>I don't know. Maybe not. But I have seemed more sensitive to the impressions of magic and other supernatural powers than several of our number. Maybe I might notice something that you hadn't?
>Had you been able to examine the sacred flame after gaining back the memory of what happened there?

>It is possible, but the risk is very great. And even if Satori-sama is cloistered away, as you put it, there are many other shrine maidens here. If they are compromised as she may be, it could be as dangerous as though you had been found by Satori herself.
>No more than a brief sweep with my magic. It doesn't appear to have changed from before. It feels the same as it did when it turned black, so I assume it still is black.

« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »
>But you did not enter the chamber, I take it?

« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »
>But you did not enter the chamber, I take it?

>Not as yet. Since Satori has taken such pains to keep it off limits, I didn't want to enter the chamber until I had a justifyable reason to do so, or was definately unobserved.

« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
>Is the place monitored continuously? By spiritual or other means that you know of? On reflection, it might actually be safer for me to attempt to enter than it would you, as I have less of a 'cover' to compromise if observed - they would not know who I was and you need not be visibly involved.

« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
>Is the place monitored continuously? By spiritual or other means that you know of? On reflection, it might actually be safer for me to attempt to enter than it would you, as I have less of a 'cover' to compromise if observed - they would not know who I was and you need not be visibly involved.

>Monitored, no. Not directly, at least. But Byakuren, have you ever tried to sneak around a building full of animal youkai?

« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
>No. But would I need to hide my presence entirely? Or merely the fact that I had entered a room that I should not have? I assume people are moving about the halls not too far away on a somewhat regular basis. If some sound was made, would it be obvious to anyone who wasn't observing closely exactly who had moved where?
>I don't mean to make light of the difficulty or the risks. I just don't like to let more days pass and hope that a better opportunity will present itself. If you think there might indeed be some small opportunity here, I would like to capitalize on it. I will respect your judgement, as you know the shrine far better than I - do you think tonight would offer us some more freedom to investigate matters? Is there some other occasion in the near future that you suspect would be better?

« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2014, 12:54:34 AM »
>No. But would I need to hide my presence entirely? Or merely the fact that I had entered a room that I should not have? I assume people are moving about the halls not too far away on a somewhat regular basis. If some sound was made, would it be obvious to anyone who wasn't observing closely exactly who had moved where?
>I don't mean to make light of the difficulty or the risks. I just don't like to let more days pass and hope that a better opportunity will present itself. If you think there might indeed be some small opportunity here, I would like to capitalize on it. I will respect your judgement, as you know the shrine far better than I - do you think tonight would offer us some more freedom to investigate matters? Is there some other occasion in the near future that you suspect would be better?

>It is not just sound, Byakuren, it is scent as well. Some of us can smell a stranger almost as soon as one enters. Your own scent, while not especially strong, is still noticeable.

>Your questioning makes Kiku pause for a moment. There are still many unknowns here. she says at last. I am not fond of having so much uncertainty in what has become my home. Your presence here could indeed shed some light on this problem. And the only time we would have to investigate the shrine while it was completely secure to us would be if no other Metal mikos were present, which simply does not happen. If Satori is the main problem, then tonight may indeed provide the opportunity you seek. Satori's attention will be focused upon Toune and her ritual, and upon myself during my involvement. And I know of no other events that would have this effect within the foreseeable future.
>Ultimately, the decision is yours, Lotus. I may be the strongestsecondstrongest miko of this shrine, but you are the leader of our little group. If you feel the risks are worth taking in order to uncover the truth, then I will do whatever I can to minimize those risks.

« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
>Forgive me for sidetracking briefly, but... 'strongestsecondstrongest'? You used that term before, I believe. Is that some traditional title in your order?