Author Topic: Patch/tool downloads from touhouwiki.net... Is it safe?  (Read 1419 times)

Patch/tool downloads from touhouwiki.net... Is it safe?
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:37:54 AM »
I've recently changed my motherboard which resulted in fresh OS install and installing all of the Touhou games again.

After searching for patches/tools, I ran across http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Game_Tools_and_Modifications where it provides Vsynch and various tools.
However, there's a big disclaimer saying the files might be malicious and warns users to "use it at your own risk".

I've tried scanning some of the tools via online scanners as well as from my antivirus (Kaspersky, malwarebytes) and they all came out clean. Though, I can't really trust the results as I've experienced a infection from a "safe" file despite all of the scanners report that it was clean.

Sorry if I sound paranoid but I just want a confirmation before applying these patches/tools.

Thanks.

redlakitu

Re: Patch/tool downloads from touhouwiki.net... Is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
The idea of 100% faultless virus detection is a classic among malware researchers and hobbyists and as far as I know, there is no really 100% guaranteed way to tell that a file is not infected. Even if you download the source code, examine it thoroughly, and compile it yourself, there's an infinitesimally small chance that your compiler itself is infected and infects every compiled application. And in modern times, there's absolutely no way to scrutinize the source of every single program you're using. That's why it's necessary to put some trust into your antimalware software, and besides, most of it is really good at detecting malicious code. If you don't find results from one or two packages reassuring enough, use a website like virustotal.com.

There's also the fact that many people already use those tools and there's quite a few advanced computer users among them -- the kind most likely to notice when there's something wrong. If there are no reports of infected files, AND if they come up clean when scanned by antivirus software, then they're most likely safe.

Re: Patch/tool downloads from touhouwiki.net... Is it safe?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
Hmm, it seems like I was thinking about it too much after all... its just that I've just encountered a massive malware and it was one of main reason why I replaced my mobo (trust me, I've tried everything I could and in end, it was all worthless effort).

Either way, thanks for the reply.