Author Topic: Utsuho's Third Leg: Splitting Open the Proxy-God's Origins  (Read 19494 times)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
Re: Utsuho's Third Leg: Splitting Open the Proxy-God's Origins
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
I'm not forgetting that, in fact I'm almost counting on it. This lets us answer the question of where the faith comes from. Okuu contains a portion of the Yata and the other portions are out gathering faith. In addition, a portion of a god may be easier to contain then the entire god (I know a god can apparently split itself without lousing power, but that can't be all there is to it). However, containment is still containment and it does beg the question, why the Yata doesn't just pull out, assuming that's what it wants to do.

Well, considering that the Yatagarasu hasn't left Okuu, it's simplier to assume it just doesn't care that it has a shrine in old hell. It doesn't care enough to go work there personally, but doesn't mind lending it's power. Shimenawa (the giant ropes), IIRC, are a lunarian invention that is used to bind gods into shrines. If the Yata was locked there against his will, I think Okuu would have one as part of her design, to represent that a part of the god is sealed inside her.

As for the whole "splitting themselves without losing power" thing... AFAIK we don't have any other canon info about it other than that, so unless it's expanded upon on future canon material, that is all there is to it...
I figure something like that, in the same way that a faucet controls water but doesn't actually produce it. I think of it as, the Yata needed a presence in hell, so something like a shrine, and it needed an operator for it's power, so something like Okuu. For Kanako, combining both into one, is just efficient. However, I would not say that the Yata doesn't do anything, it would still have to be taxed for the use of it's power.
I don't really think the Yata is being taxed for the use of its power; nowhere in canon we've seen gods having their power lessened by people calling on them. The Hakurei god has nearly 0 workshippers and Reimu can use its power without any trouble at all (hell, Kasen's arm blows up just by touching the yin-yang orb, which goes to show that his "youkai extermination" blessings works perfectly even without the shrine maiden around); if using a god's power would be taxing on it, the Hakurei god wouldn't be able to sustain itself at all, considering that faith in it is most likely nearly non-existant
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:33:27 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 01:09:41 AM »
Well, considering that the Yatagarasu hasn't left Okuu, it's simplier to assume it just doesn't care that it has a shrine in old hell. It doesn't care enough to go work there personally, but doesn't mind lending it's power. Shimenawa (the giant ropes), IIRC, are a lunarian invention that is used to bind gods into shrines. If the Yata was locked there against his will, I think Okuu would have one as part of her design, to represent that a part of the god is sealed inside her.
Maybe. I think we've taken this pretty far as information at this point will be sparse. I don't think it's a good idea to say that just because any normal person would try to do something about their captives if they were held against their will is grounds to say that the Yata is not being held against its will.

As for the whole "splitting themselves without losing power" thing... AFAIK we don't have any other canon info about it other than that, so unless it's expanded upon on future canon material, that is all there is to it...
Again, true, as far as I know.

I don't really think the Yata is being taxed for the use of its power; nowhere in canon we've seen gods having their power lessened by people calling on them. The Hakurei god has nearly 0 workshippers and Reimu can use its power without any trouble at all (hell, Kasen's arm blows up just by touching the yin-yang orb, which goes to show that his "youkai extermination" blessings works perfectly even without the shrine maiden around); if using a god's power would be taxing on it, the Hakurei god wouldn't be able to sustain itself at all, considering that faith in it is most likely nearly non-existant
That's how gods work though. That's why Kanako can treat religion like a business with faith as its currency. They get worshipers and, using faith, they give blessings. If they have more worshipers they can use more faith to give better blessings. I don't want to say faith is like a mana bar, the situation is a little more nuanced in my mind, but it kinda' is.
The Hakurei Shrine is not normal, as illustrated in SWR. It continues to function even after it is destroyed by Tenshi. Yukari also found it necessary to destroy again after Tenshi placed a keystone in its foundation when rebuilding it. Reimu is also not a normal priestess, as illustrated in a few places throughout the series.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
Maybe. I think we've taken this pretty far as information at this point will be sparse. I don't think it's a good idea to say that just because any normal person would try to do something about their captives if they were held against their will is grounds to say that the Yata is not being held against its will.
'Tis mostly that there really isn't anything suggesting the Yatagarasu doesn't want a shrine there. Nothing really points at it being a prisioner. The most we get on its possible opinions on the matter is Akyuu wondering "what the Yatagarasu thinks of being sent to the Former Hell to divide spirits while living among the despised, when it has the status and the supreme divinity of the Sun". So I dunno, it being held there against its will doesn't really seem likely to me.

That's how gods work though. That's why Kanako can treat religion like a business with faith as its currency. They get worshipers and, using faith, they give blessings. If they have more worshipers they can use more faith to give better blessings. I don't want to say faith is like a mana bar, the situation is a little more nuanced in my mind, but it kinda' is.
The Hakurei Shrine is not normal, as illustrated in SWR. It continues to function even after it is destroyed by Tenshi. Yukari also found it necessary to destroy again after Tenshi placed a keystone in its foundation when rebuilding it. Reimu is also not a normal priestess, as illustrated in a few places throughout the series.
I kinda like Drake interpretation of the reason a god needs faith more:
It's entirely possible that the god's power is not even proportional to faith in it, particularly in Gensokyo. I would wager that the god is inherently powerful, and as long as they have some faith they can use their abilities. Instead, a need for a large base of faith is primarily for their influence on the population, allowing them to act for that population. A god you don't believe in can't really help you as that god. A god many people believe in grants the god influence over those people and allows for direct interaction. This is fairly obviously Kanako's goal, rather than accumulating sheer power. Having sheer power proportional to faith makes no sense. Rather, the mechanisms for faith in Touhou follow heuristics that are very similar to how they act in real life, but are applied in a world where said gods physically exist and exert influence. It's good stuff.

Regarding the Hakurei Shrine, I'd wager it continues to work after breaking because the structure itself is not important. In Shinto, the go-shintai is the actual place where the god resides. As long as THAT is alright, the god still has a place to live and work its blessings.

Reimu not being a normal priestess... can you give me specific examples of that? I don't particularly doubt it, but I can't really recall any mentions of it.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 04:31:47 AM »
you guys are posting too much

"The Yata could still be in hell without running a nuclear reactor. It's not like it has any incentive to power Gensokyo. "
Inconsistent. Why even bother having the Yatagarasu at this point if it was already in Former Hell but just didn't want to do anything.
"The reason why I considered that the Yata was in hell was because I expected Kanako to be as straight forward with Utsuho as possible, in an attempt not to confuse her with things like common metaphors. "
Kanako asked who the strongest hell raven was. Utsuho says it was her, Kanako gave her the power. The question wasn't important, it was more likely the dumbness of the statement that gave Kanako the OK, since she wanted someone pretty empty that would be easy to manipulate, so to speak.
"so I'm thinking the Yata did not want to do that. Kanako took more drastic measures and forced the Yata into Okuu."
no, baseless speculation, etc

"You're forgetting that gods aren't restricted to a single body"
"How Kanako managed to turn Okuu into a shrine to the Yatagarasu is a good question, but really, the enshrining of gods itself is unexplained; like, if I built a shrine and started workshipping Kanako there, would a portion of her spirit just appear there so she could manifest herself to me? Or it's necessary for the god itself to show up and leave a part of it there? And after it's enshrined, can it just choose to leave the shrine, or it only disappears if people stop workshipping it there?"
Yes, and I'll explain this below

"Okuu contains a portion of the Yata and the other portions are out gathering faith."
Why assume that they're out gathering faith?
"In addition, a portion of a god may be easier to contain then the entire god (I know a god can apparently split itself without lousing power, but that can't be all there is to it). "
Why assume this, and yes that's likely all there is to it, as below.
"However, containment is still containment and it does beg the question, why the Yata doesn't just pull out, assuming that's what it wants to do. "
Still don't see why it's necessary that its being kept against its will.
"I think the god has to choose to be enshrined."
why say it's being kept against its will and then say it chooses to be enshrined
The powerful shimenawa is made of "femtofibers" which is just a handwavy jargon excuse for "nothing can escape no matter what, therefore we can seal gods". There was a nice theory about the Moriya's gigantic shimenawa someone else had but I forgot what it was.
"I think of it as, the Yata needed a presence in hell, so something like a shrine, and it needed an operator for it's power, so something like Okuu"
More or less. Even if a god can split into several parts, most are probably too lazy to do the bulk of their work themselves, so they use priestesses and goshintai and whatnot as outlets.
"However, I would not say that the Yata doesn't do anything, it would still have to be taxed for the use of it's power."
It's a god. It does what it wants. Magic.
"Also I'm gonna ask the wiki about why the article says that Okuu ate the Yata. "
Because nearly every instance in dialogue of Utsuho obtaining said power says she ate it, drank it, consumed it, etc.

Thanks for posting that blurb Sagus, I was going to bring that up myself.
Gods can split into multiple parts because of how ZUN characterizes gods throughout the series, just as said in that blurb. Gods are written in a similar way as how the heuristics of religion works in the real world. A god is not exactly a being, it is an essence of sorts. It's the cause X that makes result Y happen, because that's how people believe it happens. To that end, a god doesn't have to be anywhere specifically to cause whatever they're known for, it's just the attribution for that result. When ZUN writes that a god can split into parts, it is based on this principle and transformed into this characterization (and Suwako's quote is a brilliant example of demonstrating this is how he writes gods; personally I find it wonderful). A god splitting into multiple perfect copies of itself to be present in multiple places at once makes perfect sense like this. It's also the reason that I suggest that their power is not diminished whatsoever when they "split" or have many shrines or goshintai or anything otherwise using their power somehow. Their influence is not somehow split when many people attribute the god for things in different places, so that's how it would work as a characterization as well.

"Regarding the Hakurei Shrine, I'd wager it continues to work after breaking because the structure itself is not important."
The Hakurei Shrine that breaks isn't the actual shrine. It's said at least once, maybe twice, and not only does Yukari give no shits when it's destroyed by Tenshi, she later destroys it herself.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:20:39 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 05:01:00 AM »
we shall post
forever

The Hakurei Shrine that breaks isn't the actual shrine. It's said at least once, maybe twice, and not only does Yukari give no shits when it's destroyed by Tenshi, she later destroys it herself.
Wait, what? Then what's the building that's destroyed in the background of the "Hakurei Shrine" stage? Reimu's living quarters?
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:36 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto_shrine#Structure_of_a_Shinto_shrine

it's entirely possible the actual structure housing the Hakurei's god has never been shown, as far as i can tell

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:04 AM »
Hmm. Every single depiction of the shrine we've seen seems to indicate that the place is actually very simple (the Hopeless Masquerade stage, for instance, only shows that it has the main building and a storage).

Then again, the god could just be in a building located way behind it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:25:18 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 06:14:58 AM »
Things we know are in/around the Hakurei Shrine that seemingly just pop into space:
  • A hot spring and geyser
  • A bigass tree somewhere nearby
  • A grove of cherry trees
  • A bigass youkai plum tree
  • Possibly a pond ZUN made up on the spot

We also know there's of course the torii, the living quarters, a main shrine somewhere, and the storage shed. I'm probably missing things too.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 06:55:06 AM »
The building we see the most (with the donation box and stuff, and that's always in the fighting games backgrounds) has a shimenawa. Wouldn't that mean it's where the god is enshrined? Or do they just hang those everywhere on shrines?
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »
In WaHH 15, Reimu put a shimenawa on said bigass plum tree because she figured it would get faith from people visiting when they come to see its flowers. After the viewing season was over she was going to move it to a cherry tree instead, for the same reason. She kept it on because she remembered Yukari told her that the tree could become a youkai tree, but she did just go make a new one for the cherry tree.
I couldn't say if the shimenawa on the shrine is supposed to do something or represent something, but at least on this occasion, she threw a shimenawa on an object for no real reason.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
The shimenawa has an important function. It's always the borderline between the sacred ground and the non-sacred. So it's not that the shimenawa rope is unimportant, it's Reimu putting them up willynilly that's suicidically stupid.

Reimu said in WAHH 15 that it'd be better if people also pay respect at the main shrine, so the main shrine is definitely dedicated to the god of Hakurei Shrine.

But the whereabouts of the goshintai will probably remain a mystery (OSP 17 and WAHH 15). Indeed, wherever it's housed is the true Hakurei Shrine.

BTW, WAHH 15 also made the point even clearer that gods and youkai are two sides of the same coin. When you put your faith into anything, it becomes a god; when you put your faith into something yet do not give it the proper respect, it becomes a youkai.

>Shrine structure

Hakurei Shrine is atop a small hill. The buildings might be small, but the land area under its name can be larger than expected. The flower-viewing parties each year have to take place somewhere.

>If I make a shrine to Kanako

That's exactly what happened in one of Marisa's endings in MOF. She built a makeshift shrine, and Kanako immediately appeared, and scolded her for treating the matter of faith carelessly.

>Other topics

I'm still recovering from a cold, and have work to do, so I haven't got the time to read all the posts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:53:33 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
But the whereabouts of the goshintai will probably remain a mystery (OSP 17 and WAHH 15). Indeed, wherever it's housed is the true Hakurei Shrine.
I had the impression that the go-shintai was the yin yang orb, going by the end of OSP 17 (Kasen says so, at least...)
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
If that's true (Kasen says "Careful, these are the real thing"), that would mean that the actual main shrine is Reimu herself (Kasen says "those orbs that Reimu always carries into battle")

....which I suppose would explain why it'd be a bad thing for the shrine maiden to die (to a youkai? or die in general?)

Imosa

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42:38 AM »
I know, you got in just before I was about to make another. This is going to be hard to reply to.

"The Yata could still be in hell without running a nuclear reactor. It's not like it has any incentive to power Gensokyo. "
Inconsistent. Why even bother having the Yatagarasu at this point if it was already in Former Hell but just didn't want to do anything.
I don't understand the problem. Can't the Yata just be chilling somewhere without doing much of anything? P.S. I don't think this is what was actually going on anymore.

"so I'm thinking the Yata did not want to do that. Kanako took more drastic measures and forced the Yata into Okuu."
no, baseless speculation, etc
How is it baseless? If Kanako can put put the Yata into Okuu then she can probably also ask it a question like if it would help with her plans. If the Yata did want to help with her plans I feel like she could just set the Yata up in Hell where it can then get a portion of itself to do the work. Why risk the potential error of having the intended vessel of a god go rouge? It seems to me that Kanako had to take a risk with Okuu and did so because she thought she could get Okuu to go along with her plan, after failing to get the Yata to go along with her plan.
I'll be the first to admit that there are holes in this chain of logic. I can't know  what the Yata, or Kanako are capable of, I'm just filling those in with my own assumptions based on the fact that Kanako generally has all the resources she needs.

"I think the god has to choose to be enshrined."
why say it's being kept against its will and then say it chooses to be enshrined
Mess up, on my part. I don't think that anymore.

"I think of it as, the Yata needed a presence in hell, so something like a shrine, and it needed an operator for it's power, so something like Okuu"
More or less. Even if a god can split into several parts, most are probably too lazy to do the bulk of their work themselves, so they use priestesses and goshintai and whatnot as outlets.
Are gods generally lazy?

"Also I'm gonna ask the wiki about why the article says that Okuu ate the Yata. "
Because nearly every instance in dialogue of Utsuho obtaining said power says she ate it, drank it, consumed it, etc.
Oh, I'm gonna need to check that out. Should we believe her? Could they be metaphors? Her profile in SA doesn't say anything like that.

@Hakurei Shrine: Drake, I don't suppose you know where it says that the building we see isn't the actual shrine. Also if the shrine that is destroyed isn't the actual shrine, why does Yukari care enough to destroy it after hearing that Tenshi put a keystone into it.

As for all this stuff about gods and their nature. I need to think on that. Drake certainly has a point that I really prefer. At this point I pretty much agree that power is not proportional to faith, so, for example, more faith won't let Kanako summon a larger onbashira, or something like that. However, a nagging feeling stops me from being fully convinced. That may be cleared up with some thought on the subject that I haven't had time for, or maybe I'll come back with something. I dunno.

Drake

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:15 AM »
If I were a god I'd be lazy. That wasn't really a serious thing, but there would have to be a reason for gods to allow their influence and power to flow through other people and objects, if they can split perfectly. Having somebody else do the hard menial tasks and get faith for it sounds like a pretty good deal. Plus, Kanako does both and yet still also likes to be personally present.

Yukari: (霊夢、貴方なら見える筈 目の前の鳥は、何の神を喰らったと思う?)
Suika: (でも、どうやらこいつ 厄介なもん飲み込んだみたいだねぇ) [...] (神を飲み込んだね)
Aya:  (さっきの猫が言ってましたよ 神の力を飲み込んだって) [...] (貴方が唆されて神を飲み込んだ者ですね?)
reimu also says it a few times in dialogue and then in the pre-extra story
To note, her "eating" things is a hell raven thing. It's worded like that on purpose.

I actually can't recall exactly where it was said that the real shrine is elsewhere. You can make your own judgments until I remember where it is.
A keystone will affect the surrounding area too, though. There's definitely more to it considering she toppled the whole building rather than just take the keystone out.

Imosa

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »
Yukari: (霊夢、貴方なら見える筈 目の前の鳥は、何の神を喰らったと思う?)
Suika: (でも、どうやらこいつ 厄介なもん飲み込んだみたいだねぇ) [...] (神を飲み込んだね)
Aya:  (さっきの猫が言ってましたよ 神の力を飲み込んだって) [...] (貴方が唆されて神を飲み込んだ者ですね?)
reimu also says it a few times in dialogue and then in the pre-extra story
To note, her "eating" things is a hell raven thing. It's worded like that on purpose.
I can't read that but I think your talking about the eating bit.

I actually can't recall exactly where it was said that the real shrine is elsewhere. You can make your own judgments until I remember where it is.
A keystone will affect the surrounding area too, though. There's definitely more to it considering she toppled the whole building rather than just take the keystone out.
The Keystone was part off the foundation of the building. You can't just remove it.