Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222977 times)

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2012, 03:51:00 AM »
Bits of Counter-Strike Online, Modern Warfare 3, and

DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label
DoDonPachi Original

and some Doom (UltiDoom, Doom 2, Master Levels, Final Doom).

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2012, 04:22:14 AM »
I'm taking a Touhou hiatus. What games do I want to replace it with?

*presented by Cave!*

:fail: I think I have issues...
Too many STGs at once! Needs more variety! (though DOJ BL, Ketsui, and Futari are good).

Gone on another fighting game spree again, this time KOF '98 Ultimate Match (US PS2), SF3 Third Strike (Dreamcast), BlazBlue: CT (the uncommon PC version), and Garou: MOTW (NeoGeo). Doing somewhat well in all of them except Third Strike (hooray lack of practice plus SNK/Arc System Works bent) considering I don't even have a proper joystick.
On another note, I think a 'Fighter of the Fortnight' regular competition in here, similar to SotW, would be a great idea....

Also getting rage at the Ura route bees in DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu (iOS). They're the one thing keeping me from getting to the Ura loop there.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:25:23 AM by ロリ陽蜂 Vocal Absurdity »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2012, 04:34:38 AM »
oh lord this special world business in SM3DL is reducing me to tears
i'm only on 2-3 and my life stock is actually at a net loss at this point

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2012, 05:00:41 AM »
Too many STGs at once! Needs more variety! (though DOJ BL, Ketsui, and Futari are good).

I KNOW  :ohdear:

STGs are just too fun for me to play anything else. To be frank, everything else is starting to bore me and STGs are practically the only thing I can enjoy anymore. That's what I mean by "I think I have issues".

Gone on another fighting game spree again, this time KOF '98 Ultimate Match (US PS2), SF3 Third Strike (Dreamcast), BlazBlue: CT (the uncommon PC version), and Garou: MOTW (NeoGeo). Doing somewhat well in all of them except Third Strike (hooray lack of practice plus SNK/Arc System Works bent) considering I don't even have a proper joystick.
On another note, I think a 'Fighter of the Fortnight' regular competition in here, similar to SotW, would be a great idea....

>Mentions fighter addiction
>Doesn't mention Power Stone

You're a new one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:04:55 AM by Ace »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #934 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »
Hey, don't get me wrong here - I've played the Power Stone games on my 'Cast. I just haven't played them lately. :P (plus I generally do terrible with 3D fighters unless they play in a 2D fashion eg. Rival Schools).

In regards to the STG bit, well, that isn't good. Oversaturation in one thing hurts a lot in the long run, so start looking at other genres of games, possibly even those completely different from what you're accustomed to.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:59:02 AM by ロリ陽蜂 Vocal Absurdity »
Bad command or file name

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #935 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:31 AM »
Okay, so formerly Japan-only indie gaming site Playism has, as of like an hour ago, opened its international site, and is offering both titles familiar to english gamers like Spacechem, and formerly JP-distrubted-only games like Hyperspace Invaders Zero and Yume Nikki (for free!)

The biggest one of the day, however, and what I'm going to drown myself in playing is La-Mulana, the remade version - which was first announced about three years ago and saw an obscenely long wait for the english release on WiiWare before getting cancelled about two months ago.  So they brought it to PC instead!

I'm going to stream the hell out of this whenever possible because oh my god I haven't been this excited for a game in a long, long time.  ...Actually, does anyone else stream playing games at all here?

« Reply #936 on: July 13, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
La-Mulana, the remade version
Oh my. This is awesome news. I am actually getting back into playing La Mulana after a year long haitus, and finally found an item to progress with. Why does it have to be in the last place I search?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #937 on: July 13, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »
Oh my. This is awesome news. I am actually getting back into playing La Mulana after a year long haitus, and finally found an item to progress with. Why does it have to be in the last place I search?
Because La-Mulana is tricky like that, but that's what I love about it.

« Reply #938 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Koumajou Densetsu II.

Having just finished Final Fantasy XIII which I ended up liking in the end. Sure it's first 10 chapters are god awful gameplay wise in my opinion with all those super prolonged battles giving little to no CP and the little to no progression that goes on with my characters stats but it all gets a lot better when you get to Gran Pulse and now I've 5 starred 87% of the Marks there. Plus the bosses get's significantly more interesting at that point in the game. And whoever thought the Ch10 boss was any kind of hard never heard of the Sentinel class. Add to that the presence of the single most awesome black guy in any videogame I've ever played and it's actually a quite decent game if I look beyond the things i really hate about it. No more bad blood between it and me. Hooray!

So moving on to XIII-2... Sazh and Snow are hardly present and in their place I get bloody Noel. No amount of gameplay improvements can fix that! ;(

Question for you guys though: I haven't found SAB and SYN to be very relevant in XIII-2 so far and debuffing and buffing is the most interesting aspect of RPG's for me. Am I doing things wrong or are they just useless/not needed?

Finally, Koumajou Densetsu II. Started it again from the beginning and went all the way through. Hella fun game and quite challenging at times as well. Gotta give Hard mode a shot too. Though not being able to skip the final cutscene before the final boss is really annoying and means that I don't have a hint of a bad feeling about blasting her ass to oblivion with Flandre.

« Reply #939 on: July 13, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
Question for you guys though: I haven't found SAB and SYN to be very relevant in XIII-2 so far and debuffing and buffing is the most interesting aspect of RPG's for me. Am I doing things wrong or are they just useless/not needed?
Y'know, I don't think I used either of those two classes at all through the main storyline, or even through most of the side-quest stuff. If I recall, there were two specific fights in which I went out of my way to alter my Paradigm setup to use the classes. SAB ended up being my saving grace in the "hardest boss fight" of the game, although it made the fight much much longer.
Spoiler:
Constantly casting Wound to whittle down max HP in the Serah vs Caius Paradox Ending battle... :V

Unless you're striving for 100% completion, you probably won't need to use either class. They got a lot more mileage in XIII.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #940 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
SYN is less useful overall, sadly.  Even though three of the major buffs - Vigilance, Shell, and Protect - are learnable by both main characters and are pretty essential for taking on certain postgame bosses or just trying to take on certain powerful foes early... there is no longer a Haste spell at all, and Bravery, Faith, and the En____/Bar___ spells only appear on monsters, and it's kind of a pain to get them all on one (unless you're using Sazh, who gets most of them, I think).  It still helps, but the role overall doesn't pack nearly the punch it did previously.

SAB is still good, but it's hardly mandatory.  If anything it's better now - enemies have a set tolerance, and that means it takes a certain number of casts to rack up the 'points' on the effect to trigger it [obviously, more SABs/higher rank SABs speed up this process].  So, you can learn and predict how much of a spell it takes to 'land' the ailment in this one, no unnecessary randomness!  Plus, all of the useful SAB spells are on the heroes - the monster-only SAB spells are all the disablers, which as usual either don't work or simply aren't necessary on things.  There's really only one time in the game that they're really all that mandatory, however, being a boss fight or two related to postgame-only content; otherwise, they're just there to speed things up with smart use.

Honestly, XIII-2 is generally easier - the main game seems to expect you to do 0 sidequesting, up until the final chapter at which point the game takes off the gloves (suffice to say that it can almost be like the final area of XIII again, unless you've done a lot of side stuff).  There's exceptions in the postgame content (boss hunts, paradox ending bosses, Raspatil, and the DLC fights) and even then while the postgame content is fun, it shouldn't be too threatening.

...Actualy, speaking of which, if you do decide to throw extra money at the game, the DLC fights are probably the best fights in the two entires (if not some of the best in the entirity of FF or RPGs in general, really). Lightning & Amodar can probably be tackled around chapter 5, and the rest progress onwards steadily from there until they are dwarfing almost anything else in the game itself quickly - they also all use unique mechanics and tricks and you really have to figure out how to get through their strategies in order to succeed.  I was quite impressed; but it's also a heavy investment for them, so it's really up to you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:32:28 PM by Garlyle »

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #941 on: July 14, 2012, 01:57:45 AM »
So I chose the loud girl in Rune Factory 3.  And then she went missing, but that's okay there's the Catch the Most Squid contest the next day.  Which I dominated!  I caught six squid.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #942 on: July 14, 2012, 05:24:19 AM »
Oh shit Persona 4 on Expert is so much more fun now I'm doing things correctly.

Currently at Shadow Yukiko, level 14.
I accidentally tripped her Pissy Boss Mode before killing her ally, and that was a hoot and a half.
Ended up getting it down to <10 HP (However much one calls less than one pixel) before Burn to Ashes nicked my friends, and was followed by a critical Cleave from the Prince.

I've no means of recovering from Fear, so when Shivering Rondo missed my MC (with 142 / 268 HP at the time) twice, well that was just badass :getdown:

Killing the Avenger Knight midboss in three turns was also pretty cool.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #943 on: July 14, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Thanks to finally getting a paycheck worth more than $300 and the Steam Summer Sale, I now have a bunch of new games to play through, including:

Portal 2
Alice: Madness Returns
The Binding of Isaac
Ys Origin

Plus Hellsinker's on its way from Japan.

So many games, incredibly little time to play them in (curse only having 2 hours before and after work for me-time). Plus I'm expecting my PS3 to come in the mail within the next week, so I can finally go through Ar tonelico Qoga (after having it sit next to my monitor since I bought it at launch), Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2, and Gran Turismo 5. Not sure if I should try and get the original Neptunia too...

For my portable stuffs, I've pulled out Elite Beat Agents again, see if I can manage the S rank on the ones I haven't done yet (usually I Was Born to Love You and ABC, because, seriously, wtf is up with their beat density?) and try to manage that one damn spinner on The Anthem on Sweatin'. Unrelated, I changed out the (slightly broken) shell of my DSLite for a transparent blue one - it's decent (and cool-looking), but it scratches far easier and feels like it's going to break again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:49:41 AM by Amae Taiyomo »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #944 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
I can't recommend the La-Mulana remake hard enough
Oh my god it's so amazing.

I wrote up a list of reasons over here but the TL;DR version of it is that it kept everything that made the original great, but changed a lot of things that were inconsistent/odd/bad about the original, and there's just enough in terms of content changes that people familiar with the original are going to have to relearn/discover enough to keep things interesting and fresh.

fuck hard mode though.  It's not just a handful of extra enemies; it's a handful of very strategically placed, dangerous enemies from further sections of the game showing up early, as well as extra damage (and possibly health too) on boss fights.  It's... holy balls every boss after Amphisbaena is ridiculous.

« Reply #945 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:10 PM »
Got Ys Origin. First time playing an Ys game. Started it on Nightmare with Yunica.

Got to the first boss(or maybe miniboss, not sure) at level 4. Just wouldn't work out, got to level 6 and it was pretty simple, so I guess levels are quite useful here. I'm at the second one now. I think I could do it at my current level if I could learn how to dodge one of the attacks, but I might do a little leveling anyway.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #946 on: July 15, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »
While level's less important to your progression than say, Ys I and II, where you didn't deal any useful damage unless you were a specific level, it's still a major factor. I found the second boss (the first medallion one) incredibly annoying, since to deal damage, [REDACTED], and the angle is sometimes weird. I don't even think that attack is even doable unless you can predict it.

also help me i'm buying too many steam sale games i won't have money for lunch if this keeps up
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:10:17 AM by Amae Taiyomo »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #947 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
I picked up Ys Origins too.  It's my first Ys game, wasn't ballsy enough to attempt Nightmare, so I went with normal.  I'm right outside the third boss, decided to kill enough things to buy the Increase SP Blessing and I'm Lv27 now xD.  Man I hated that first boss
Spoiler:
I kept falling off!
  Second boss was easier and the second midboss was way easier than even the first midboss.  Got in on my first attempt.

« Reply #948 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
Am I missing something here?

Room full of water and spikes. Some spiked enemies that I'm doing 0 damage to, that I can't even really get close to cause they just shock you to death. And it doesn't seem like they get hurt if they go on the spikes.

And you barely get any SP on Nightmare, so I've only been able to afford the armor upgrades so far.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »
Got Killing Floor from Steam sale. Bloody fun, and full of British idiosyncracies.

Damnit why didn't I buy this earlier when the TF2 Pyro item cross promo was going on? :V
Bad command or file name

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:06 AM »
Am I missing something here?

Room full of water and spikes. Some spiked enemies that I'm doing 0 damage to, that I can't even really get close to cause they just shock you to death. And it doesn't seem like they get hurt if they go on the spikes.

And you barely get any SP on Nightmare, so I've only been able to afford the armor upgrades so far.

Don't worry about the turtles for now. You can't do anything to them... yet. You will eventually.
And even on Normal, you should only be able to get the armor upgrades realistically.
You can swim, too, you know.

One wonders why you have to have the Scales actively selected to get long breath power.

EDIT: Oh wow, I've just encountered the battle connected with the "Don't Start What You Can't Finish" achievement. It's just holy crap; I mean, I know it's a Hopeless Boss Battle and all that, but persisting attacks is pretty hax.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:16:33 AM by Amae Taiyomo »

Move eternally forward,

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
Spacechem is hard. And it's disheartening. You forge a solution, it's not right, you toggle some things, get a small breakthrough and then discover you don't even have enough space with your layout and start all over again. Even better, after you figure it out, a yet more monstrous puzzle is next. I'm pretty good at logic and puzzles, and I absolutely love the chemistry theme, but I'm only in the middle of Alkonost (4th planet) and if it keeps going at this rate I'm going to have a breakdown.

Still, I just figured out Random Oxides. My solution is grossly overcomplicated, but it serves its purpose. Oh the satisfaction.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
Four hours into La-Mulana (in terms of progress that hasn't been lost due to gameovers)

They have moved just enough things in this game that I am quickly starting to trip over new puzzles, missing key items that aren't where they're supposed to be (
Spoiler:
SERPENT STAFF
WHERE'D YOU GO I REALLY COULD USE YOU RIGHT NOW), and even after struggling through the absurdity that is the hard mode boss fights, find myself with limited options and a lot of uncertainty about where the hell I'm headed.

also I must be missing all of the ROMs everywhere somehow, because I got the computer upgrade but I've never even come close to having max space used on the original model... D:

also I don't trust
Spoiler:
Eden
, not at all.  It took me a bit of staring but I'm damn sure it's a trap, but it was a damn good trap that I have to commend the developpers for if so because it even fooled me. 
Spoiler:
Moderately certain it's actually the Gate of Confusion and if I can just figure out how to make the pedestals in the temple of the moon spawn, I'll know for sure
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:14:51 AM by Garlyle »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
Try watching DeceasedCrab's LP of it, that should help somewhat. (I'm watching it right now to prepare for my future run of the original.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:35 AM »
Try watching DeceasedCrab's LP of it, that should help somewhat. (I'm watching it right now to prepare for my future run of the original.)
DC hasn't LP'd the remake, and I'm trying to stay away from that kind of thing anyway.

I've completed the original game.  But there's just enough stuff different in the remake.  I'm trying to track down the
Spoiler:
Serpent Staff
, which is definitely not where it was supposed to be; I need to solve a whole new puzzle to access what I can only speculate is
Spoiler:
the Gate of Confusion
; I have a boss to fight in the
Spoiler:
Twin Labyrinths
which was never fought nearly so early and is giving me hell; and where the hell did the door to the
Spoiler:
Tower of the Goddess
go, because it's sure not where it was originally.

That kinda thing.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
Ah.
Well, maybe he'll do the remake. (Hopefully without the hell temple 'surprise'. I think he broke for a minute or two when he saw 'that'. I know I did.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. This is my first time playing any Warhammer 40k series. Between being a 9 foot tall walking tank with a 1.0 caliber machine gun and a shotgun capable of evaporating half-ton monstrosities, plus ceaseless waves of bloodthirsty enemies that I've chewed to pieces with a chainsword in the deteriorating husk of a war-ravaged megalopolis for the sake of the Emperor and his Imperium, there's enough testosterone here to make a dozen Chuck Norrises blush.

Sorta has that C&C: Renegade feel to it. Nice scale, though giant mobs of baddies can catch you off guard and wipe the floor with you if you aren't able to see the future, but that makes it the right level of tough, too. Crazy mythos as well. Even after all that, gameplay's kinda samey, Enjoy it once and move on. Hurrah, Steam sales!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2012, 03:58:44 PM »
DoDonPachi, using ProMeTheus' method of Recording and Summarizing Shit (RaSS)

Replay 001
   Spend ten minutes fiddling around with settings because I had to reinstall ShmupMAME During the stream yesterday, I fucked something up
Replay 002
   During the fiddling around with settings, I set all four directions to the "up" key.
Replay 003
   Killed Zone 1-1's boss' options and then died after getting the second 10,000 point star. OTL
Replay 004
   Being a picky little jerk, I ended the replay right after I hit the insert coin buton on the warning screen.
Replay 005
   Carry a good run all the way to the Zone 1-2 boss, where I run into a bullet like a moron.
Replay 006
   Was too focused on killing the close-left cannon on the Zone 1-2 boss
Replay 007
   Got killed trying to get a bomb in Zone 1-2
Replay 008
   Died before the Zone 1-1 midboss. OTL
Replay 009
   Inserted coin on warning screen. orz
Replay 010
   HGIOPGGHERVNHHGOPENIOPWERFDNHWEIPWERPGHWPWGJIGHWIPGH I DIED THE SAME WAY AS REPLAY 007
Replay 011
   Died getting a bee BEFORE THE ZONE 1-1 MIDBOSS
Replay 012
   JUST DIE TO THE ZONE 1-1 BOSS FOR NO FUCKING REASON OKAY

Enjoy.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
oh lord shadow kanji was easier on expert mode what is this

(i guess the jack frost +resist fire / physical helps but still)

Party was level 25... while I struggled to beat him at level 26 on Normal last time... er...

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #959 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
oh lord shadow kanji was easier on expert mode what is this

(i guess the jack frost +resist fire / physical helps but still)

Party was level 25... while I struggled to beat him at level 26 on Normal last time... er...

Speaking of Expert mode, I need to start playing Kingdom Hearts on Expert or continue my Expert run of Kingdom Hearts II.

Enjoy.