Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222909 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #510 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:56 PM »
Give it a go then.
Oh, those are what he's weak to each turn by the way.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #511 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:19 PM »
Got him, so now only 2 remain.

I grinded to get Resist Physical and Null Death on everyone. Also got Mediarahan for all. Had Null Ailment for Cielo. Took a few more tries cause I accidentally kept breaking his rules. He doesn't like you having 3 of a buff on your party, so i was making mistakes like using a third Charge combo to get + Defense after a Ragnarok, or having 2 Charges, then use the Rakukaja+ Heal combo after a Ragnarok that missed one character causing one of the characters to have 3 Defense buffs which caused him to use Psycho Rage, Dekaja, Power/Mind Charges, and full party attacks.

Not even going to try Seth until I have more skills to use against it. Still, it looks like a much more straightforward battle with no annoying rules. I haven't decided whether I'll go for a standard strategy or try the 3 turn kill strategy for Satan. But stat maxing will take a while, so I'll probably have most of the skills by then.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #512 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
Huh, Kamidori got an English Patch so I'm playing that for a bit (and remodding the wiki I haven't touched in months) while I cool down from yesterday's 10 hour flight. I've just completed an L50 Hard Charlotte run on Portrait of Ruin, and I'm still trying to complete Ultimate Survival on 機械仕掛けのイヴ ~Dea Ex Machina~ (another eroge - I really have to start finishing these damn things) with Fam. The second-to-last battle keeps kicking my ass, since she actually steals all the buffs you had. Story aside (how do we stop this company from performing illegal shit? I know, buy them out using sex toys!), the battle system is a bit like Princess Waltz with the phases integrated.

EDIT: Oh you are kidding me. There's a Hell difficulty!? I actually have to have a decent release of toys every two weeks to not get a game over? There's actually an exhaustion factor? *sigh*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:43:26 AM by Amae Taiyomo »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Formless God

« Reply #513 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Finished Devil Survivor 2. Story-wise, great concept but poor execution. Of all the SMT worlds, I feel least attached to this one.
The combat, on the other hand, is fantastic. It turned out to be my most favorite combat system out of all SMT titles -and- all SRPGs. Tile-based placement and menu-based skirmishes work in perfect harmony and provide a lot of depth.
Phys moves are still broken though.

« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I don't own either of the Devil Survivor games.

Defeated Seth in DDS2 earlier. Now the real grinding starts. I will replay the first DDS for Demifiend sometime, but it won't be for a while. 2 grindfest SMT optional bosses in too quick a time period doesn't seem like a good idea.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Finished Devil Survivor 2. Story-wise, great concept but poor execution. Of all the SMT worlds, I feel least attached to this one.
The combat, on the other hand, is fantastic. It turned out to be my most favorite combat system out of all SMT titles -and- all SRPGs. Tile-based placement and menu-based skirmishes work in perfect harmony and provide a lot of depth.
Phys moves are still broken though.
Just got to Wednesday.  Physical a good or bad type of broken?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #516 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
Depends on your opinion of being able to faceroll shit I guess.
I wouldn't really know, since I haven't played 2 yet.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Formless God

« Reply #517 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:40 AM »
Just got to Wednesday.  Physical a good or bad type of broken?
Bad. Every time you select Assassinate, an enemy sprite disappears off the map. For full parties there's Multi-Strike + Pierce + Grimoire + Stone+ which obliterate every single atom in them. Only Rangda and endgame bosses repel these, so you can rape the living shit out of everything from Day 3 to Day 7.
They don't completely trivialize the game (the enemies also hit like trucks), but every initiative strike is a guaranteed victory.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:41:57 AM by Anarchy Formless »

theshirn

« Reply #518 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:34 AM »
...I would define that as good broken.  By which I mean good = massively overpowered, and bad = absolutely unusable.

I went with a magic MC again (carry over from DS1 days, never got to play Overclocked) and he's served me well so far.  The nice thing about a magic MC is that you only need three stats, whereas a physical wants all four.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #519 on: March 17, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
FFV Spoof, a rewrite of FFV that I think is pretty amusing! It breaks its own rules by invoking on juvenile humor on some parts but it was written a few years ago so I dunno. I have Bartz as a Sorceror SoM Mage, Lenna as a Tamer Zoophile, Galuf as a Blue Mage Monster and Faris as a TimeMage. I just finished the events at Karnak and looted basically most of the treasures before it exploded, but I think I missed Ifrit. I forget.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #520 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »
...Sometimes, I don't know whether this AI is smart as a human, or dumb as a brick. Most of the time, it pulls off the one counter-type correctly, one that usually has me calling "you're looking at my cards, aren't you?" But sometimes, I don't know. One opponent in Hell Survival threw out a leading card that literally the only card type I had hard counters. She had all three card types available, so she couldn't feign idiocy on that part. The particular card I threw out two turns ago hides card numbers, but not the card types, so she had absolutely no excuse not to use the hard counter to my card type.

This is the second-highest difficulty mode.

EDIT: A few weeks into the new year (game-wise): ...They're actually plugging the game I'm playing... right now? I know this damn game isn't a demo, but surely you have better damn things to do than make a "commercial" plugging the game and not even bothering to use decent (actual) action figures for the characters doing the plugging.

Seriously, what is this crap?!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:38:45 PM by Amae Taiyomo »
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
PSP arrived.

The only good thing I can say about Dracula X Chronicles is that it also includes Symphony of the Night.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #522 on: March 18, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
Welp, I 100% finished FFXIII-2

And it feels weird to say that its biggest flaw is easily its writing, because at the same time it's actually one of the game's strong points.  The story writing while you're playing through the game is full of cringe and impossible conclusions and The Only Choice Is Stupidity that rarely seems to do anything clever and may have been slapped together.
Then you go back and read the completed Datalog and Fragments and realise that a lot is going on behind the scenes and there is far, far more thought going into everything you've seen in the game than the game was able to actually express to you.  And that the story is a lot more coherent and the characters a lot deeper than you thought.

And now I just look back on it and go "Man I wish they could find someone that was actually good with dialogue"

Also props to them for turning Hope from pretty much everyone's least favourite party member in XIII into everyone's favourite returning character for XIII-2.  If they could've given the rest of the cast (old OR new) half the treatment they gave him the game would have been phenomenal

Also I'm still conflicted about how I feel about the ending.  It was pretty obvious that it was what was going to happen by the end, but it's precisely because of that that it's shocking - usually you'd expect some sort of Deus Ex Machina to stop something like that from happening. 
Spoiler:
Well, then again, within universe maybe not - it was because there was a literal Deus Ex Machina at the end of XIII that everything in XIII-2 happens, afterall.  Still REALLY mad about how the one victory we do get to claim though - that we killed Caius - is the one thing that the secret ending casts into doubt or changes at all though :/

Now, time to wait for
Spoiler:
XIII-3.  Because I will happily play it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:24:27 PM by Garlyle »

Formless God

« Reply #523 on: March 19, 2012, 05:01:35 AM »
DW7 with XL, PC.

+: Improved stage design; your attacks really have impact this time; Story Mode is looooooooong; Sun Shang Xiang
-: Backgrounds are dull; frameskip is borked

And no DLC costumes, fuck.

« Reply #524 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
I am so sick of the save system on Phantasy Star. Went back to it. Yet again, I loaded a game that I know I saved, and now I'm a few dungeons back.

I'm using the Sonic's Ultimate Gensis Collection savestates for this game from now on since at least they would be reliable saves.

As for DDS2, I defeated Satan in it. Fun optional boss fight. The grinding for it sucked though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:25:16 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
I'm playing DoDonPachi lately, but I will return to CSO tomorrow, because of Human Scenario Mode's release tomorrow.

Deviox

• Game on gamers, game on
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »
I've been playing a healthy combonation of Dawn of War 1, League of legends, and a bit of TrackMania when I'm not in a thinking mood

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:55 PM »
I've been playing Eden Eternal again. 

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
And now that I've beaten a few games on my backlog, I can finally get to DS2 myself!
That Joe fella is premium comedy material, and so's Daichi.

Quote from: Dialogue Excerpt
Io: Blah blah blah, 2000 fault lines in Japan...blah blah blah....impossible for a quake to damage Osaka and Tokyo..
Daichi: ..Wait, what's this about malt?
MC: Time for some whiskey! (You could pick the option to correct him, but this one's funnier.)
Joe: *snrk*
*Note: This is a semi-adapted version of the actual dialogue, but it's FUNNY!

Sadly, I think I failed to save that guy who falls down the stairs, but I think I have another file from before that...I'm not sure though.
..I just don't wanna start over. Dubhe wasn't easy, even with getting nerf'd by Daichi's badass idea.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
save everyone or gtfo

you did finish DS1, right?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Working on it, but I've never had much problem with playing two games from the same series at once. It's kinda fun to compare the two.
So far I've found that it's much better to be balanced-ish in DS2 than in DS1.
Right now I'm parked on...

STR: 7
MAG: 7
STA: 6
AGI: 6

Right now I'm mostly dicking around with the Fairy types of Demons, and I've noted that despite the double-weakness of Zan/Zio that Knockers have, they're quite reliable.
I even got a Special one that came with Anti-Force, so he's resistant to 3 things instead of 2. It even came with Dia and Extra Cancel!
Not to mention decent stats that make it good for casting AND Phys. Also. Itsumade. Poison. Flight. WTF?
Though I gotta admit, that one lady who joins, the one that you see on the map prior, the one that has a Hare of Inaba and an Itsumade.
She really knows how to utilize Devilspeed+Flight. It's nice to see that we don't have AI that's very retarded, unlike the last one, where guys like Keisuke would pull a Leeroy.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
And I have completed everything in FF XIII-2 now as well. Completing that beastiary took a lot longer than I had wanted it too. The Archylte Steppe had a knack for spawning goblins (and their many different versions) over any of the other monsters in the region. Thankfully, you only have to have an entry for each monster and not the full data on each monster to get the fragment.

The Serah vs Caius Paradox Scope battle was still an exercise in frustration. Things finally shifted in my favor when
Spoiler:
I resorted to constantly Wounding him to bring his maximum HP down to a safe attacking margin. Funnily enough, his second fight kept the nerfed HP limit, so that went just as quick. Only later did I learn that you could Poison him to nullify his Regeneration, so that made my revelation seem kinda pointless. But hey, I finally got the bastard.
:V

There isn't much else that I could say about the game that either I or Garlyle have said. It's a pretty fun game that I wish would focus more on the whole time travel aspect other than "lolparadox". Hell, I was ready to write Caius off as
Spoiler:
a "necessary villain" for the sake of the next game...
Spoiler:
until I saw the secret ending. What the hell do you mean that he's STILL alive?! Everything was part of his master plan, including fucking up the world AND the timeline. Wonderful.

Welp. Here's hoping that 
Spoiler:
XIII-3 will be good. At least we get one more game featuring the Paradigm battle system. Hopefully, many of my questions from this game will be resolved finally.

Yog-N'yggoth

• HERE COMES DAREDEVIL
  • The Main Character (Really!)
    • Blank
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
It's nice to see that we don't have AI that's very retarded, unlike the last one, where guys like Keisuke would pull a Leeroy.
And as soon as I read this, my target decides to charge into a guy who had all his demons. He previously somehow managed to have both of his dead. And I was nearing the end of it too.

Oh well, other than those times it's been okay. My MC is more of a magic nuker though. 

...Where's my game?

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #533 on: March 21, 2012, 02:21:55 AM »
Finished replaying Metroid Prime earlier today for the first time in a few years. Still as fun as I remember it being.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #534 on: March 21, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
The Serah vs Caius Paradox Scope battle was still an exercise in frustration. Things finally shifted in my favor when
Spoiler:
I resorted to constantly Wounding him to bring his maximum HP down to a safe attacking margin. Funnily enough, his second fight kept the nerfed HP limit, so that went just as quick. Only later did I learn that you could Poison him to nullify his Regeneration, so that made my revelation seem kinda pointless. But hey, I finally got the bastard.
That fight was actually a lot of fun.  It's kind of unfortunate that the Wound spell is pretty much only useful in the
Spoiler:
Paradox Caius duels
, but yeah, that's how most people do it is to spam SAB/SEN combo.
Spoiler:
Noel vs Caius
is possibly my favourite fight in the game by the way

There isn't much else that I could say about the game that either I or Garlyle have said. It's a pretty fun game that I wish would focus more on the whole time travel aspect other than "lolparadox". Hell, I was ready to write Caius off as
Spoiler:
a "necessary villain" for the sake of the next game...
Spoiler:
until I saw the secret ending. What the hell do you mean that he's STILL alive?! Everything was part of his master plan, including fucking up the world AND the timeline. Wonderful.
Spoiler:
I thought it was all pretty obvious that that was what was going on.  Really, the only thing the true ending really revealed to me was that APPARENTLY he's quite possibly still alive.  Which would fucking suck because I still think he's a terrible villain

In other news, I'm buying and downloading Warriors Orochi 3 when I get home from work in the morning OH BOY EXCITEMENT

« Reply #535 on: March 21, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
...Warriors Orochi 3...
:3 Looks like I've found my next game.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #536 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:36 AM »
:3 Looks like I've found my next game.
You definitely should

Because holy crap, this game.  The first stage had my jaw on the floor this has never happened with a Musou game, ever, not even my first one which was DW4.  I keep thinking "Man they've improved this so much" with several (DW4 -> SW1 -> SW2 -> -> WO1/2 -> SWC were all really impressive improvements) and then just, man, this is such an incredible leap.

My only beef is that the text is kind of a pain to read because I still have an SD TV but oh my god

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #537 on: March 22, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
Played a bit of Hammerfight.

It's depressing though because it's a fantastic game with a lazy developer who doesn't want to fix all the errors in the game (the biggest one being that Steam has v1.004 while Humble Bundle has v1.005 and the guy hasn't lifted a finger to change that).

The list goes on and on:

The tutorial is unintutive: Even after reading the instructions, it doesn't tell you any of the advanced tactics like adding gems to weapons or linking two weapons together; these techniques are only explained in the Hall as tips when you're changing equipment.

When you add a gem to a weapon, it's irremovable (also, small sized gems will take the place of larger slots despite existing small slots in the weapon): The only way you can get the gem out is to get a new weapon with no gem or edit your savefile so you remove the gem/change it to something else.

The story is unrepeatable (also, you can lose relic weapons and never get them back): If you choose the wrong route in the story, you miss out on some weapons (all weapons are not obtainable in one savefile unless you edit it!) and even two game modes are missing if you have the misfortune to choose incorrectly. After you finish the story, you can't restart it from the beginning to try and get all the weapons/modes and there's no chapter/stage select, you're stuck at the ending and you have to make a new savefile if you want to try all over again.

CPU enemies are not subject to player rules: The CPU can swing their weapon without flying all over the place and they also get free aiming turrets while the player has to link their gun to a swinging weapon, subjecting them to physics for aiming which makes them miss pretty much all the time when you're going at full speed (the dev could have just allowed twinstick, really). Speaking of arquebuses...

Explosives are absolutely stupid (also, CPU enemies explode if they have an arquebus on them): They deal a hell of a lot of damage, have very long misleading range beyond their explosions and are incredibly abundant in postgame play; CPU enemies sometimes have arquebuses that fire sets of TNT/flare bombs which practically cover the screen in explosions you can't avoid. When you destroy enemies with arquebuses, unless you're using a gun yourself (in which case you're insane), there's absolutely NO way to avoid the explosion and if you're too close, you get instagibbed. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Congratulations!

No online multiplayer: The dev doesn't know how to make this work. It's a shame!

Despite all these flaws, the base gameplay is really fun and you get to do things with physics that are really hilarious when you witness them. The things above are irritating and I've been trying to make guns not useless (dual gun setups are hilarious in itself) by increasing their damage/clip size/reload times but it doesn't seem to work.

Fun stuff.

ADDITION: I swear to hell the explosions are getting worse it keeps happening EVERY SINGLE TIME
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:06:35 PM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #538 on: March 23, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
Started a run of the original Rayman a few days ago to finally try to beat it. I beat the game earlier today.

What were they even thinking with some of the stuff you have to do? So many troll moves on the part of the game too.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #539 on: March 23, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
Spoiler:
I'm gonna be honest and say I found this fight rather easy.  This MIGHT be due to the fact I built up a pretty nasty face ripping Chichu when I was grinding for the final battle of the main storyline, but still, not really that hard of a fight for me.  I just had Serah as a SEN while Chichu did all the damage, healing up with Potions as needed (Potions are so much better for use in this game compared to FFXIII, especially when coupled with the Grimoire Hat).

If anything, I found the Noel vs Caius Paradox Scope battle more challenging.  Noel doesn't get the benefit of a monster to assist him in battle like Serah does while Caius retains more or less the same stuff he did against Serah w/ Paradox Scope.  That includes hitting Noel with Deprotect/Deshell via Eye of Bahamut sometimes.  Noel basically had to have Protect & Shell active all the time or he would get killed extremely fast.  Granted I took this fight on my 2nd attempt because I was strong (Noel had like...5000-ish HP or so?), but still, I went as low as 500-ish HP right after Eye of Bahamut and Caius going into a nasty combo of attacks that you don't really have an opening to recast Protect or Shell in.

Anyways...

Dark Souls - Incredible game I've been playing the last few days.  Extremely difficult, but rewarding when you do make progress.  Ended up starting a 2nd character because the build I was focusing on was aiming to use the Black Knight Greatsword (Something like 32 str and 18 dex required roughly?), then I got a Black Knight Sword which was basically the same stats as the Greatsword, but only needs 20 str and 18 dex.  Luckily on my 2nd character I got my Black Knight Sword off of the Black Knight in Undead Burg (Yay climbing a ladder and cheesing out the sucker with Black Firebombs!).

Maybe this way all that extra str I was planning to shove into for the BK Greatsword can go to something more beneficial like Vitality, Endurance, or Faith.

One thing's for sure, I'm NOT looking forward to traversing Blighttown when I get back to where I was with my first character.

Of course, I've got just under 1 1/2 weeks with Dark Souls until Devil May Cry HD Collection comes out and I plan to play through that + DMC 4 in succession at that time.
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4