Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222942 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
You've made a powerful enemy today, sign!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Yog-N'yggoth

• HERE COMES DAREDEVIL
  • The Main Character (Really!)
    • Blank
« Reply #481 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:15 AM »
Playing Doom the Roguelike after it got its tileset.

I had to face the Cyberdemon without my trusty shotgun, dropping it for a different weapon but forgot about both. Thank goodness for taking a invincibility globe before moving to the next floor and having a BFG9000 on standby.

Though I died on the next floor. Oh well.

...Where's my game?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #482 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
Playing Doom the Roguelike after it got its tileset.

I had to face the Cyberdemon without my trusty shotgun, dropping it for a different weapon but forgot about both. Thank goodness for taking a invincibility globe before moving to the next floor and having a BFG9000 on standby.

Though I died on the next floor. Oh well.
Oh snap DoomRL got updated to tilesets finally?
Might be time to get back into that!

Yog-N'yggoth

• HERE COMES DAREDEVIL
    • Blank
« Reply #483 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
Yes, apparently the graphics were made by the guy who did the same for Spelunky.

...Where's my game?

Avan Nozomi

• Look, it's a Rawrgna!
  • 何が遠い旅行ですか?
« Reply #484 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »
Right now?

Assassin's Creed 2. (Currently at the part where I'm trying to find the 4 Codex pages for Mario.)
Valkyria Chronicles 2. (Currently grinding and wrapping up extra missions I forgot to do before I tackle December.)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. (Currently... putting off story mode and going through Legion mode numerous times, as well as practicing with Ragna, Jin, Makoto, and Platinum.)
Class of Heroes. (Currently... I have no idea what I'm doing.)

I'm also tempted to start up Valkyria Chronicles again, but I keep getting stuck at Chapter 7's mission.
I can see the glory cause I wipe my tears
All part of the same thing be signed
I really want to feel delight
Even if I live in dying dreams
-Truly Glory, by FELT

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #485 on: March 08, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »
Started to play some Donpachi and DoDonpachi (arcade versions) amid playing tons of DFK and DOJ on iPhone lately.
Initial response: '...well the series has evolved quite a bit - oh snap, I remember this boss from DFK's Ura loop! ...cripes these are harder than expected :V'

Tried a bit of DOJ arcade too, and all that playing on the iOS version was marginally helpful at best, mostly with just enemy locations and general patterns. I guess the 'move as fast as your finger can swipe' part of the latter has spoiled me, hehe.

I better get the PS1 versions of the former two so I can play them on the go on my modded PSP. Possibly good practice there.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
Yesterday, I hooked up my Dreamcast and played some Jet Grind radio for a bit. Oh, nostalgia.

...And then, today, I noticed something on Twitter. See the newly-made topic about this game to hear all about it. :derp:
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
Yes, apparently the graphics were made by the guy who did the same for Spelunky.
Yeah, I can see the resemblance
however, the graphical console has a tendency to lag up A LOT for me, so I've gone back to my old ASCII Interface (DoomRL has a simple enough one that it's not like this is hard to learn, unlike most)

Either way I have missed this game.  Still possibly my favourite Roguelike, alongside PMD Explorers of Sky.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #488 on: March 10, 2012, 02:17:45 AM »
Got into the CS: GO beta today, so I opted to test it out. It came with another giftable invite as well, which I gave to Dusty (he was more than eager to have it).

Great lighting effects (though colours are washed out, similar to BF3 in a sense) and the new weapons feel good to use. Major complaints however go to the following:
 - New match-making system (where's my server browser damnit >:()
 - Demolition mode is pretty much a round-based Gungame and plays a lot like a COD round :<. Haven't tried other gamemodes but I'm sure I'll be playing in Classic Competitive (ie. CS as we have always known it) mode more often.
 - de_lake (the prominently featured new map) resembles L4D's Death Toll too much
 - Game was WAY too loud at first, and it definitely wasn't my system at fault

Yep, I'm sure I'll be buying this once it arrives. Still on the fence about DotA 2, since I enjoy watching matches unfold there but can't play worth a damn myself even after some more offline practice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:21:53 AM by はたたた Potato Fryers »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #489 on: March 11, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
Currently on an RTS nostalgia binge and playing C&C Tiberian Sun again. Mostly done with the Nod campaign and halfway through the GDI one since I'm swapping between them to try and play the missions in chronological order.

...I think I enjoy this game a lot more in terms of depth than I did when it originally came out (which was well over a decade ago). I can't really understand why people seem to dislike it so much.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #490 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38:03 PM »
Fuck yeah. Just beat Ace Attorney Investigations 1 a day or two back.
That last case was so.....Ooh! Gave me chills man.
And after everything was said and done, and the credits rolled, I felt more alive than I have in a long time. Who knew a videogame could do that?

Man....that case. Just...THAT CASE.
Go play it. Seriously. Why aren't you doing that right now?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #491 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
Got to final dungeon on DDS2.

I should be able to finish the storyline soon as long as I don't have to grind for very many more skills or levels. The optional stuff will take a while though.

Oh, current floor, you can't use your demon forms. Oh, and there's enemies that are immune to your guns so you have to escape those battles if they appear. Quick Escape refuses to work at all for me in one causing a game over trying to get back to the save point after getting one of the items that unlocks an optional boss as a drop. This series is such bullshit sometimes, but I still like it a lot.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2012, 07:15:45 AM »

Final Fantasy V: Ancient Cave
A ROM hack of FFV which utilizes an already included save file to get to the titular dungeon, Ancient Cave.
A frog will reset your levels to LV1 (as if you had just started the game) in order to access the Ancient Cave.
Battle through 99 floors of randomly generated maps and collect items, weapons, spells and Jobs like a real roguelike!
Be careful, some boss waves will destroy you! Careful of booby trapped chests!
10 minute time limit per normal floor, so no grinding!

Want a challenge? Disable EXP gain, ABP gain, or escaping! FFVAC is probably one of the biggest tests of your FFV knowledge, so go for it if you want a challenge and enjoy FFV!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:37 AM »
where the heck do I get the patch for this
And is it available in english (because if not, D: )

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2012, 08:41:48 AM »
where the heck do I get the patch for this
And is it available in english (because if not, D: )

Here, go to Page 3 and find FF5AC_Ver2.1

It is sadly not available in English.

Yog-N'yggoth

• HERE COMES DAREDEVIL
    • Blank
« Reply #495 on: March 13, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
Playing a bit of Super Robot Wars: Original Generation for the GBA for my mecha fix. Progressing finely, although since I'm apparently on the "Real" route, it's a bit jarring to have most of my attacks have to be equipment, not to mention I don't seem to be doing much damage with half my units still in "grunt" suits.

Although that might just be me attempting to get all these battle masteries. Not going for every one of them, but whatever.

...Where's my game?

« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
Quake 2  :derp:

theshirn

« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

Final Fantasy V: Ancient Cave
A ROM hack of FFV which utilizes an already included save file to get to the titular dungeon, Ancient Cave.
A frog will reset your levels to LV1 (as if you had just started the game) in order to access the Ancient Cave.
Battle through 99 floors of randomly generated maps and collect items, weapons, spells and Jobs like a real roguelike!
Be careful, some boss waves will destroy you! Careful of booby trapped chests!
10 minute time limit per normal floor, so no grinding!

Want a challenge? Disable EXP gain, ABP gain, or escaping! FFVAC is probably one of the biggest tests of your FFV knowledge, so go for it if you want a challenge and enjoy FFV!
WHO WOULD DO THIS

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »
Here, go to Page 3 and find FF5AC_Ver2.1

It is sadly not available in English.
all my tears
but thank you anyway

FFV is my favourite classic FF gameplaywise so I'll probably try to do this anyway

« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
I'll probably try it just because FFV is the best best one, then end up quitting because I can't read anything in japanese.

I really hope someone can get an english version working.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:28:50 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
I could go through the tedious process of translating everything by hand because to hack it into English would be way too bothersome but I just don't have the time for that at the moment. :fail:

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
I too love FF5 but but that sounds like  :colonveeplusalpha:

I am playing Pokeymanz Pearl right now!  I had gotten it on release but stopped at the 3rd gym.  My sister and I were on a ~nostalgia~ trip and I got her Diamond so we can trade and battle like old times  :3
(except our router is too secure for DS wi-fi doh)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
My current videogame project(s) have been partially sidelined yet again when a couple friends and I started a co-op game of Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter. Shenanigans ensued immediately. The HD version is a mere 1 gig in size yet somehow manages to look absolutely fantastic. Each stage loaded up in less than two seconds, to boot. It's stunningly well-optimized. The multiplayer aspect really boosts the game up a couple notches as well. I'm still not thoroughly convinced that the scale-up for the number of enemies is as effective as it could be though.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #503 on: March 14, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »
I too love FF5 but but that sounds like  :colonveeplusalpha:

It is really not as :colonveeplusalpha: as it sounds.

Zil

« Reply #504 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:40 AM »
It is really not as :colonveeplusalpha: as it sounds.
It sounds like pure ecstasy to me. Is it at all playable without knowing Japanese? If not I'll just have to add it to the great list of things I'll do once I've learned Japanese.

theshirn

« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »
It sounds like pure ecstasy to me. Is it at all playable without knowing Japanese? If not I'll just have to add it to the great list of things I'll do once I've learned Japanese.
It is playable.  Knowing some kana (and FFV pretty well) is enough for me to figure out pretty much everything.

Everything's fine, oh look, another monster in a b-CRAY CLAW WHAT

welp, I'm out of phoenix downs :(

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:57 AM »
Truth to be told if you know nothing about FFV you shouldn't be playing FF5AC in the first place unless you want to get frustrated at the lower floors (B40F comes to mind...)

Also, note that you are running it with a team of Bartz (renamable, I renamed him to Mimic), Faris, Lenna and Cara (wtf is Krile) so no UOM power :V

« Reply #507 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:34 PM »
Finished DDS2's storyline on Hard. I'm not sure which of the 2 DDS games was easier. They do both have their difficult moments though. Probably the easiest SMT final boss from the ones I've played. I do know the first SMT has easier ones(since you can Zio stunlock almost everything), but I never played that one. I did lose to the final boss once on this game(I didn't in the first one), but there's not much you can do when he uses a move that full buffs him and full debuffs you with 1 turn, crits you several times, then follows with a mind charged spell.

Anyway, I beat Vishnu before beating the game, so that leaves only Shiva, Seth, and Satan left. I need to beat Shiva to get to Seth and need to beat Seth in order to get to Satan. I know there will be a lot of grinding though. I've tried Shiva a few times, but I can't help to think this is a completely stupid boss fight. It repels(loss of all your remaining press turns) different elements on each turn, and the game doesn't even do anything to hint at which elements can hurt him.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
I looked it up, and found the info you need man.

Turn A: fire and ice
Turn B: ice and electricity
Turn C: electricity and force
Turn D: force and earth
Turn E: only earth
Turn F: any elemental attack
return to Turn A

Bring along Void Death and Void Ailment to turn-kill him. And have Mediaharan on the whole team.
Seraph, Argilla, and Gale/Cielo are good picks according to this one guy.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
That actually doesn't look too bad. I do need to grind some for abilities and stuff though.