Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222910 times)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
Oh boy oh boy, been replaying The World Ends With You.  New Game, Level 1, Highest Difficulty (Normal week 1, Hard week 2-3), Manual Control

Holy shit this game is way harder under these conditions.  Whatshisface the chef dude was a beast of a boss as opposed to the non-issue I remember him mostly being, and it's not going to get any easier.
Good bloody luck.  I've done this my last two runs through the game, and it's a blast, but there are a couple boss fights that can take quite a few tries (Sho, Kariya/Uzuki, final boss can one-shot you).  Fun times ahead!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
>Kariya/Uzuki

Yeah, I'm expecting that to be absolutely whores.  Excluding the secret boss, Kariya was the hardest boss for me on Ultimate, so... yeah.

Oh boy though, glad to know it's possible!

EDIT: Holy balls the taboo noise on week 2 day 2 oh god
this is painful
and possibly the hardest square game ever
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:00:00 PM by Garlyle »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
Higashizawa.

theshirn

« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
EDIT: Holy balls the taboo noise on week 2 day 2 oh god
this is painful
and possibly the hardest square game ever
Is that the rhino?

...no, the rhino's the end of day 5, and that's an event battle anyway.

Yeah, early week 2 bites.  Joshua's not very helpful.
Higashizawa.
Yodai.  Rhyming.  Exposition.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
The flavor of the month (six weeks?) for the East Coast Shenanigang seems to be shifting once again from Payday: The Heist to Killing Floor. It has got to be amongst the simplest games I've ever played in the last 15 years and it still manages to be fun. The class system is probably what seals the deal, making it more enjoyable than L4D, the flavor of the month a few months ago. I've only gotten the hang of such a system thus far, but I'll probably enjoy working on building up most of the classes. And for those who like GUNZ, there's a ridiculous variety of them, and even the tiny starting pistol kicks like a mule and sounds like it shoots lead bricks at supersonic speeds. I'd still like to know how your character manages to shove the butt of Mr. Shottie the Shotgun a meter up his nose every time he shoots it though.

Oh, and the Cockney Britishness to the whole thing is as humorous and quotable as it is campy. DOSH DOSH DOSH IT'S RAINING LOADS EH MONAY!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #395 on: February 08, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Is that the rhino?

...no, the rhino's the end of day 5, and that's an event battle anyway.

Yeah, early week 2 bites.  Joshua's not very helpful.Yodai. 
It was the kangaroos.  Aghghghg
And yeah, I am in desperate need of Joshua's Jesusbeams and possibly to simply wait a couple days and get some stats.  There are certain fights that I pretty much damn near cannot win that are regular noise battles because oh my shit Joshua will you STOP BEING HIT I KNOW THERE'S SIX OF THESE FUCKERS BUT AGH and yet having the Jesusbeams would make things so much easier.
MUST PERSEVERE D:<

« Reply #396 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
Got Simpsons Arcade on XBLA. First playthrough was a 10cc cause I obviously suck at the genre. Not sure how I'm supposed to not suck.

Edit: 6cc using Japanese version.31:29 for the time..

Both runs were Normal difficulty, but that Japan version feels a lot fairer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:54:57 AM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #397 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
So I get to Nacrene yeah?
I pick up a Throh and Timburr near the forest to the west(hell if I can remember what it's called right now), and I go heal up, get a few potions, the usual.

Head to the Gym to challenge, and guess who pops up? If you guessed N, you're right!
So I do the usual curbstomp, and N gets weirder.
He walks off talking about how once he has the power of Reshiram, he and I could be friends.

Cue me headwalling at his sheer idiocy.
My exact words: "N, you dolt! Y'don't need power to make me a friend, just STICK AROUND LONGER THAN A SINGLE BATTLE."
Doesn't he know to just stick around for a bit to just chat? Sheesh. You'd think he would've learned even that at least.
But who can blame him with a pop like his? :V
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

theshirn

« Reply #398 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Throh is for chumps.  Go back until you get Sawk.  Sawk is MVP.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #399 on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
Tell that to my Throh. He's outclassing my Timburr, and Timburr's several levels higher as of this post.
Besides, I dunno if Sawk will even be that easy to FIND. Besides, I like the color red better anyhow.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
Throh and Sawk outclass Timburr because Timburr is the first in a 3-evolution chain and Throh and Sawk are both standalones.
Obtain a Conkeldurr and smash everything.
(IIRC base 147 attack)

theshirn

« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
Neither of them evolve, and both outclass Timburr and all evolutions significantly.

Throh beats Sawk in health by a large chunk and defenses by a small amount, but Sawk is a nice bit stronger and waaaaay faster.  Given the number of enemies weak to Fighting, especially late-game and in the Elite Four, and his propensity for one-shotting, Sawk was easily my MVP.  He's harder to find in White, but I recommend him if you can.  He can simply power through everything but the Flying gym.

Throh and Sawk outclass Timburr because Timburr is the first in a 3-evolution chain and Throh and Sawk are both standalones.
Obtain a Conkeldurr and smash everything.
(IIRC base 147 attack)
140, actually.  Throh is more durable and Sawk is again a lot faster, and you don't have to waste time training them up from crap status - they're solid all the way through.

EDIT: Conkeldurr's moveset also kinda sucks, and Close Combat > Superpower.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:56:49 PM by GET SMART »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
Also, obtain a good Psychic type to sweep Marshal.

Spoiler:
The E4 is Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Fighting, so don't waste a bunch of your time bringing elemental Pokes, because a bunch don't have any spammable subtyping.

Conkeldurr is trade-only, by the way.
There's also the ubiquitious Hydreigon and Haxorus, if you want to cheat.

My E4 team was Serperior, Simipour, Vanilluxe (whom I recommend highly despite being an ice type), Unfezant... and two others I couldn't be bothered to name right now but my point is that the experience was horrible the first time I tried.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2012, 05:17:58 PM »
Yeah, once I get a suitable team member, I'm dropping Timburr.
Even if he's somewhat strong, he's chump stuff.

Psychic? Does Musharna count?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »
I actually took down Marshall with Smugleaf.

Turn 1: Leech Seed.

Turns 2-7: Coil.

Then proceed to oneshot everything but Sawk, who has Sturdy.

« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »
So now I got that MGS collection box and I'm now looking to knock out the final achievements in MGS2. One of them being to gather all the dog tags. Sigh, having to play through all the low difficulties just to fetch collectables. Would've probably skipped this one if it wasn't because the achievement was called Great Dane... seriously, how can I pass that?

And yeah I know its a reference to the dog but whatever. I am a Great Dane.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
So now I get to playing Apollo Justice too.
Fun times. First case was long, but thrilling. Nothing like the first case in the first PW game.
I was hooked at every twist and turn! Almost made me wanna get to working in law because of how awesome it felt.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
Got back in to Age of Empires, both 2 and 3. Man, how could I've almost forgotten how fun these were, they were my childhood.

« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2012, 02:48:17 AM »
got the 200/200 on Simpsons Arcade. Gonna be spending a lot of time on this game.

Also up to Flame Temple in 3D Dot Game Heroes.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
>Enter Sasoon Left Tower
>Get bombarded by Mandrakes, Bears and Cockatrices

<Sayaka> あんこく!
<Mami> ちけい!

Time for some money grinding and levels!!! :]

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #410 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
Bought DoDonPachi Daioujou and GTA3 off the iOS App Store on Thursday, partly to fuel more STG stuff and see how the ports hold up.

DOJ - runs great on both my iPod Touch (4th gen) and iPhone 4S. Game's significantly harder than DFK, though; it'll be a fun little timesink. Alas iPad 1 and iPhone 3GS users will have to jailbreak to install it, for whatever reason (very odd considering the current iPod Touch hardware is mostly the same as the iPad 1's). ???
GTA3 - on the 4S, it runs fairly decently. Touch controls are a bit tough to get the hang of, but the game is for the most part fairly loyal to the original (comparing with non-modded PC version). However, on the iPod it's a different story. App crashes frequently (often due to lack of memory) and framerate is choppy. I'd advise only getting this for iPad 2, iPhone 4S, or a high-end Android unit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:56:30 PM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »
Replaying Cthulu Saves the World. I do need to do Cthulu's Angels mode sometime, but I figured I'd do it after replaying it. I only played past the first boss though. Insanity Difficulty mode as I already played it on Hard before Insanity was added.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
Started up Disgaea.  For some reason I've been in a Tactical kind of mood and Disgaea is a very, very awesome game.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Status report!

Just finished Underwater Cave!
4 monster chests:
D.Zombie/Peryton/Eater/DeathClaw
|
V
Hyne/Garuda/Goldor/Kraken
EDIT: They don't even contain good stuff :[ Well, I guess they really wanted me to use Scholars.

Madoka Sage@JLv90+!
Sayaka Magic Kn.@JLv90+!
Mami Geomancer@JLv90+!
Akemi --> Conjurer (Has better stats than Summoner)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:03:25 PM by 桜HIME »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #414 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
I'm up to the final chapter on CStW insane mode. Will either finish it today or tomorrow. then I'll start a playthrough of Cthulu's Angels mode to finish it.

Defeated the optional boss at 34/34/34/38 levels since Umi can stop the first Finishing Move with a Siren Call which gets you 5 more turns to end it. There's still the new optional dungeon that I haven't done yet though, but I'll probably need to train some for it.

« Reply #415 on: February 14, 2012, 03:07:33 PM »
Finished MGS3 again. Hard mode run. A difficulty on which the game is completely without the notion of challenge. I wish it was like MGS2 where you could pick the option of instant game-over as punishment without having to play EE to do it.

Oh and I missed one of the frogs. Yay... At least one of them any way. There is probably no indication as to what frogs you're missing either. Unless that Ga-Ko uniform only squeaks whenever you enter an area in which you are lacking the frog... which is my theory right now. Now then, off to that Peace Walker if not the ME3 demo is available yet.

« Reply #416 on: February 14, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
Beat CStW Insane last night. Used the final boss to get up to level 45 earlier today and took out the final optional boss in the dungeon that was added in the update.

I then started up Cthulu's Angels mode Insane difficulty. So far it's been easier. I've been able to fight less battles in general. Less battles that can easily game over you. Didn't really have to grind much. Bosses seemed easier despite having less HP on my characters, and still easier despite having a forced party instead of a switchable one. Chapter 4 was pretty much a freebie cause it had a weak enemy for its boss unlike the maingame where chapter 4 probably is one of the hardest bosses in the game. Chapter 6 boss did kill me some before I figured out I just had to focus all effort on survival until it ran out of MP, then kill it.

Then I get into chapter 7 take the boat, and surprise boss fight. Previously bosses have been in the same place as the maingame. I forgot to save, so I had to fight the chapter 6 boss again, but it wasn't hard then. But now I'm going to probably have to level for the first chapter 7 boss cause I can't really survive it well or even do a lot of damage to it since I was struggling to even survive.

Edit: Noticed that if you load a save on this mode, you have to reequip everyone, or the equipment stats aren't added. Still wasn't helping due to the damn RNG since it's 4 randomized targets each time it does the Tentacles spam, so it's either level more for hopefully more power or hope I get lucky on RNG target. I thought I had it once when I got it low on health and just needed tentacles to not hit all 4(since it can hit multiple times even if less hits would kill.) 1/256 chance it would hit the full party with the 4 hits from tentacles spread out randomly and the damn thing did.

Of course, something I've noticed from a lot of RPGs is that Krakens in RPGs are usually hard.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:23:02 AM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:30 AM »
PSP Disgaea doesn't have that song during the fight with
Spoiler:
Maderas
  I loved that song.

« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
Cthulu's Angels mode cleared. Also did the Cthulu's Angels Cave of Destiny boss at level 50.

I can't defeat the Soulcaster though at level 50 despite having done it at around 45 in the maingame. That's the last thing I need to do before I can say I've completed everything in this game. I do have a save at the final boss though which is good for leveling with 1 level per kill. Plan to level to 55 then try again, then if that fails, 60, if that fails, just continue leveling and trying till I get it.

And what's the Dem Bromide look like? The chest that has it on the 360 version can't be opened.

Edit: Done. Took getting to level 60.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:15:03 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
oh dear lord

I caught Thundurus in Pokemon White