Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222961 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #360 on: February 02, 2012, 07:26:31 AM »
SHIT SHIT SHIT

Using essentially a Gardevoir (84), a Giratina (78), a Kyurem (76), and a Darmanitan (66), I made it all the way to the last sliver on Volcarona's lifebar.

The other two party slots were EXP Share whores-
Chansey/Blissey (22 -> 49)
and Zorua/Zoroark (1 -> 54)

I used their turns for revive fodder in the end and still lost :(

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #361 on: February 02, 2012, 08:28:09 AM »
PC - playing a bit of DX:HR - Missing Link when not playing TF2 or Minecraft. I'm sure my hacking-heavy pacifist run messed up hard when I decided to EMP a robot. Oh well. :V
iOS - even more DoDonPachi Resurrection; managed 1cc-ing Arcade/ver 1.5 mode (Novice difficulty) with A-Bomb and B-Strong, but gah, can't find enough hidden bees to unlock any extra loops.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
I've started over in Terraria. The game has undergone massive changes and additions since I last played. It's quite enjoyable, and will stave my Minecraft fix while we're in our server downtime. Progress? I'm just about ready to try my hand at fighting the Wall of Flesh. I'd like to finish raiding the dungeon and max out my health first.

As for more recent news, I picked up Final Fantasy XIII-2. I'd have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Then again, I'm a sucker for time travel. :V

It's really interesting how this game presents time travel and the effects of changing the timeline. After my first play session, I've completed the events at
Spoiler:
Oerba 200 AF,
and am just about to go see the changes that have occurred. It's also interesting to see how the world and previous characters have changed through time. My only gripe right now is Mog. "Kupo" is the new "Desu". :V At least, I get to
Spoiler:
throw him
once he really starts getting on my nerves. :3

but yeah, I'm liking the game so far. At least it's striving to be a sequel with some substance, unlike X-2 and its copy-paste..

Edit- Just a couple more thoughts.. 1: Having a limit ("Capacity") on accessories is really irritating. I don't want to sacrifice a class bonus (or unlock) just to increase that limit. 2: Chocolina. Is that a costume, or is she some kind of chocobo-human hybrid? How can a merchant sell wares if they don't have any hands? :V
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:59:35 PM by Dr.Strafe »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
Make sure to not let Vit and Agi fall behind too much. Vit is pretty self-explanatory; Agi lets you attack first and makes your Dance skills hit more.
I'd also suggest you drop one more point into Str to use the Megido skills later (which can one-hit most endgame parties).
Whoa whoa whoa, Agi boosts the hits on Dances?  Source this please, I've never heard nor seen anything on this.  Unless you mean accuracy, which I never really had a problem with.  Tailwind is pretty damn good and allows you to just ram the magic cap early.

If you're already at 9 strength, going to 10 for Megido isn't a terrible idea, though I found Holy Dance to be far more useful.  Either way you'll want a Tyrant to offset the mana costs (it helps that King Frost and Hecate are really damn good).

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Nem

• Grrrr!
  • Gimmie money!
« Reply #364 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »
Well, I decided to stop playing World of Warcraft after 7 years because of the direction the game is going. How did it go from Deathwing to OMG PANDAS? The next expansion should've been Sargeras or something. Anyways, with all traces of WoW gone, I have time to play other games.

I'm stuck with Starcraft 2 as my main game at the moment. I'm in gold in 1v1s but I have no motivation at all for 1v1s. I mostly play team ladders with friends with our best rank being in 20ish platinum in 3v3.

Also, I found my dust covered DSi with HeartGold inserted into it! I'm currently trying to get an Adamant Breloom with Poison Heal so I can have a full team to face my friend, The only problem is that I can't find my charger and the DS is in the dreaded red zone.

I was going to get Soul Calibur V but I was disappointed by the lack of content due to having only one year of development.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #365 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
Alright then, I can do this. I'm now at Lv21, and just fused these demons.
Wendigo(Anti-Ice and Anti-Elec!)
Nekomata(Speedy little bugger.)
Kikuri-Hime(Healer, rezzer, and overall awesome! But hella weak to fire, I should get fire resist onto a mitama and fuse it onto there.)

Current Stats
Lv: 21(Can fuse Pendragon!)
AGI: 8
VIT: 8
MAG: 12
STR: 9
Next Lv, 22, is going into STR, for megido skills.

Also, I just recruited Keisuke, what do you guys suggest for his team? I've heard he makes a great secondary healer, but he seems to be a fine multihit user, especially with Nekomata and Wendigo.
But even with all the skills I've cracked, I don't have as many as I'd like to fill his out.
So far I've got a good idea of what each party member up to keisuke is meant for.

MC: Battlemage (Currently running Shiisaa and THor, will eventually upgrade to Pendragon and King Frost)
Atsuro: Striker(Give him Kishin, Deity, or Touki, Currently running Shiisaa and Gozuki, will upgrade to Thor once MC can upgrade.)
Yuzu: Healer(Give her Fairy, Femme, or Megami to upgrade. Currently using Jack Frost and Kikuri-Hime)
Keisuke: Speedy, possibly a Wilder+Avatar team for switching? Currently using Wendigo and Nekomata.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #366 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
WOOOO
finally beat Champion Alder in Pokemon White

With the aforementioned team as well.

That's the sexiest Hall of Fame entry animation yet :*

My Level 89 Gardevoir has 293 Special Attack! How could I not defeat them?! :V
I mean, it only took me seven months!
It's kind of sad that my success depended more or less entirely on it surviving, but still. :ohdear:

What's left to do...
I think I still have some sages to track down...

« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2012, 01:59:52 AM »
For those into Pokemon BW who didn't notice it:
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pgl_pokemon_vote_arceus_distribution-2012-01-31/

Nintendo is just nuts. Distributing a lv100 over Dream World...

Formless God

« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, Agi boosts the hits on Dances?  Source this please, I've never heard nor seen anything on this.
Oh crap, I thought all multi-hit skills rely on Agi, but I just went to check again and it seems only the 7-hit Phys skills in DS2 do. My Yuzu seems to get more hits with Dance than my other party members, though.
EDIT: I had Mari (12 Agi) and Keisuke (19 Agi) each Dance five times against a Decarabia party (16 Agi, fuckers kept spamming Makajamaon). Both of them got a 4 at least once, so it appears the hit count is not Agi-dependent.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:40:44 AM by Anarchy Formless »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Yay FFXIII-2 has been acquired.

I am, however, an hour into it and I've never before thought about any game "Man I'm glad I watched the trailers because otherwise I don't think I'd have any idea what the fuck"

Because really, what the fuck.  They are definitely trying to speed through introducing the baseline concepts of the game ("Hey we're gonna be travelling through time okay?" and so forth) which is fine, but it's not... exactly being the best writing right now and by that I mean it's an embarassment (And this is coming from someone who liked FFXIII and its writing)
So... we'll see what happens.  Again, this is just the first hour or so, but I'm too tired to continue immediately D:

« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »
Because really, what the fuck.  They are definitely trying to speed through introducing the baseline concepts of the game ("Hey we're gonna be travelling through time okay?" and so forth) which is fine, but it's not... exactly being the best writing right now and by that I mean it's an embarassment (And this is coming from someone who liked FFXIII and its writing)

I tr?ed the demo with two of my friends. We did a collective face palm when that Noel guy had to crack a 'joke' about that big floating arm not looking to shake hands. I sincerely hope they don't resort to that sort of writing for the rest of the game.  I also hope that they got something better up their sleeve than that guy seemingly wanting to destroy the world because oblivion is the fate of everything or some stuff like that.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #372 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:22 AM »
Finally picked up Skyrim - my brothers had it for months, but I never played it-

It's a great deal of fun, but I can't say that I enjoy the leveling system.

I can socialize better!
I CAN CAST MORE FIRE ON YOU NOW.

FUS!

No, that's it. I've only learned Fus so far.
4 hours, level 4 (but 1 sublevel to Level 5 to go), on the way to some people on a mountain and to meet the graybeards or something

I guess I'm putting together some sort of catch-all sort of character

18 Restoration, 16 Destruction
26 2 Hand, 28 1 Hand
23 Block
22 Speech 22 Smithing 18 Lockpicking
Etc etc etc etc
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:51:00 AM by Chisou Taizen »

Aquamentis

« Reply #373 on: February 05, 2012, 04:35:47 AM »
Well, I just found out about all the bonuses you get from having SRWZ2-1 100% beaten when the sequel comes out. So now I have to play through the game 1.5 more times so I have everything. At least money is no longer an issue.

« Reply #374 on: February 05, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
Just beat Recttears main story line in 24 hours.

Now to totally break the game in endless mode.

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #375 on: February 05, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
Dustforce is really sweet.

What do you do in Dustforce? To put it into one monstrous sentence: You run, jump, wallslide, and smash around trashy terrain as one of four acrobatic janitors, sweeping up dust, leaves, or whatever other grime is on the floor/wall/ceiling while also smacking the garbage off of assorted enemies that might attack you back and ruin your precious combo.

Several additional sentences:
The game offers some wonderful (if sometimes frustrating) challenge both in its individual level design as well as how the player progresses through the game. You can access a portion of the levels in each of the 4 worlds, with the rest being locked behind either silver or gold locks. To get a silver key, you have to get an S-rank in both completion (sweeping up all the junk in a level) and finesse (not dropping your combo until the end of the level). Hitting enemies and sweeping up trash will keep the combo alive, while getting hit by enemies or taking too long to sweep up some trash will end the combo. Presumably, getting dual S-ranks in a silver key level will net you a gold key. Presumably, doing the same in a gold key level will net you a key that brings you one step closer to something far more challenging.

It also looks nice and clean (at first glance, I was slightly reminded of Super Meat Boy), with a soundtrack that serves as a calm backdrop for what will quickly become an exercise in focus, determination, and precision.

And so ends this post that somehow started to resemble a game review.

« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »
Since Dead Space didn't give me the horror fix I needed, I decided to buy Corpse Party.

I just finished chapter two. Now I have to go do something else for a while so I can sleep tonight.
"I'm a nurse!"
-Nurse Hasumi, Cave Story

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
...Why did nobody tell me just how much EXP Audino gave?
Started messing with Pokemon White(no wi-fi though.), and I find a Lv9 Audino.
I promptly wreck it, and I get something in the order of 600-900 EXP.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
...Why did nobody tell me just how much EXP Audino gave?
Started messing with Pokemon White(no wi-fi though.), and I find a Lv9 Audino.
I promptly wreck it, and I get something in the order of 600-900 EXP.

It Was His Sled.

Level 40 Audinos gave me 4000 EXP while some of the Elite Four pokes gave me 3800.

I don't think you can encounter them much higher than that though.
Yup, their base EXP is some 390 points, compared to the highest 608 (Blissey), the second highest 395 (Chansey), Pokemon God Arceus' 324, and the lowest being the three unevolved B/W starters at 28 and Sunkern at 32.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:26:59 PM by Chisou Taizen »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Got NES games running on my DS, which means I ended up replaying UFF3 TypeB, a Japanese Final Fantasy 3 romhack which aims to do a lot of rebalancing and graphical brush-ups to match the DS version. Why don't I play the DS version instead? Because UFF3 TypeB is harder since none of the inherent calculations have been changed, meaning you have FF3 NES damage figures versus FF3 DS statistics.

The result?

Masochism!

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »
The result?

Masochism!
Trance why you do this ;_;

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
I had heard they were under the trope, Metal Slime, but daaaamn.
Fitting then, that it feels harder to level up. Leveling in B/W feels about as hard as leveling in TOuhoumon Another World.
(Which, incidentally, I have also been playing lately. Still stuck on the Remilia fight.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »
I had heard they were under the trope, Metal Slime, but daaaamn.
Fitting then, that it feels harder to level up. Leveling in B/W feels about as hard as leveling in TOuhoumon Another World.
(Which, incidentally, I have also been playing lately. Still stuck on the Remilia fight.)

Leveling in B/W is shitloads easier than in older games. The divisor constant used in the experience formula is 5 instead of 7 this time around, so everything is worth more points to begin with, but now there's level ratioing involved. Not only that, but they bumped up the Base EXP. thresholds- it used to cap at 255 but now, Blissey has 608, which is almost twice as much as the next. Good luck finding those in the wild though.

My First Turn + Exp. Share Zorua jumped from Lv. 1 to Lv. 55 when I took him through the Elite Four Round Two.
(My Gardevoir is level 92, used psychic on almost all of Marshal's pokemon)

Just yesterday, caught a Level 17 Illumise, fought a Challenger's Cave trainer. Gigalithes come with Sturdy, so they can't be one-shot, and it critted my Gardevoir. I used Quick Attack and then

Illumise gained 11417 Exp. Points!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
I see. Well, it's bound to be a long run anyways, so I may as well enjoy it!
Though that one Audino creepypasta didn't exactly help much.

EDIT: I also encountered N, and had my first fight against him prior to that. He happened to have a Purrloin as well. Cue Mirror Match.
Since he wanted to 'Hear their voices', I decided to humor him with that, and play every single mon I had at that point.
It was pretty awesome. (and my own personal headcanon of how the battle actually goes.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:57:24 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #384 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
And, after my placement match results were five consecutive losses, I've decided to quit playing SC2.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:40 AM »
So today I got a DotA 2 invite. I guess Valve wants more complete DotA beginners to try it out before releasing product.

Spectated a few matches, those went quite well. Alas tutorial mode is not there yet, so private easy-level bot matches had to do.
*a few of those later* ...how to play game :derp: ???

Granted, it's still not a complete product, and it's got a higher learning curve than, say, LoL, but this isn't going too well.
Bad command or file name

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2012, 03:06:13 AM »
You could join the #DotS-meido-ers and get on teamspeak to ask us questions. :3

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2012, 03:07:53 AM »
Thanks for that, then...I might make use of it as I go. ;)
Bad command or file name

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #388 on: February 08, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
Trance why you do this ;_;

First run was a "legit" run, wherein I ran myself into a brick wall by rushing to Nepto at Lv.8, which is actually a very bad idea if you've only run 1 dedicated magic user (in my case, I believe I ran Sayaka as a B.Mage) since the Large Rat boss you fight at the end will fucking RUIN you (he's very weak to Fire, but he hits very hard since you're Mini-fied), the first time I beat this game I made all into B.Mages, spammed Fire/Fira hoping he would die eventually, I won with 2 down.

SO I restarted, applying the UFF3_type-B_alljob and UFF3_type-B_MPboost patches to the base patched game so that I could run something a little more themed and fun in nature! The UFF3_type-B-alljob patch gives you all the jobs right after the Wind Crystal; and allows you to change to them without any Capacity Point cost until you open a treasure chest. The UFF3_type-B_MPboost patch gives everybody 5 free MP at all levels. Other patches I applied were:
  • UFF3_type-B_font - Reverts to original FF3 font
  • UFF3_type-B_jobparameter - All jobs get +10 bonus stats
  • UFF3_type-B_jobexp - Job level requirements are drastically reduced (50 -> 25)

Akemi Homura - Onion Knight Homura is hax, Onion Knight also hax
Mami - Geomancer Earth was the closest I could get to Mami without resorting to Summoner since you can't get Summons early on
Sayaka - Mystic Knight Looked better than the Knight sprite
Madoka - Sage Chose this over the Devout because Sage has a nekomimi hood <3

Aaaaaand. In case you wanted some minor detail on the masochism:

The First Dungeon:
You get Leather Armor instead of the SouthWinds, meaning you'll need to beat the LandTurtle with physical attacks. LandTurtle is still a pathetic fat sack of crap.
Sasoon's Left Tower:
Contains incredibly good treasure, but you fight Cockatrices instead of Gryphons, which will kick the everliving shit out of you.
Sasoon Castle
Treasures have been changed!
Mythril Cave
No longer has any treasure.
Kazus
Mythril Armor costs 1200 versus the original 350. Item prices in general have inflated. Did Potions always cost 200?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:56:34 PM by 桜HIME »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #389 on: February 08, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
Oh boy oh boy, been replaying The World Ends With You.  New Game, Level 1, Highest Difficulty (Normal week 1, Hard week 2-3), Manual Control

Holy shit this game is way harder under these conditions.  Whatshisface the chef dude was a beast of a boss as opposed to the non-issue I remember him mostly being, and it's not going to get any easier.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:34:17 PM by Garlyle »