Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222936 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Flute

So far I'm not as crazy into it as I was Unwound Future but I'm only about 60-70 puzzles in right now, and to be fair, Unwound Future only really started to pick up around this time.

EDIT: I beat it.  ...And it really didn't get much better D:
Spoiler:
Most of the plot twists were easily guessable, including the identity of the villain pretty much immediately after you met him.  Only the initial identity of the 'specter' came as a surprise but I'm not sure I actually liked it.
And Descole has two games and a movie ahead to redeem himself, because his introduction was sort of shitty.  He's 100% Stereotypical Villain material and his arrival at only the end of the game leaves a whole lot of holes that could have been filled by having an actual villain in his place.
The only reason I'm really forgiving the game at the moment was that it does serve to flesh out Luke decently and actually does a good job of explaining how Luke came to be Layton's apprentice, so... yeah.
I still have about 40 puzzles to go, however, as well as I have not booted up London Life at all, so... maybe the game won't come off as a complete disappointment in the long run?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:10:59 PM by Garlyle »

« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
I finally got No Damage Caves on Binding of Isaac. 100% achievements done.

Now to wait for the DLC.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
@Kanji

Oh, please, my only two moves were "tackle" and "tail whip."
I use tail whip, I waste a turn that could be used killing it.
It uses tail whip, it halves my lifebar.
Is Level 5 too early for IVs and Nature to have much affect?
My Nature lowered Defense, sooo
I got an Oshawott (I really wanted a Samurott), and I think it was 12 At, 10 Df, 11 Sat, 10 Sdf, 9 Spd.

On the subject of White,

Level 82 Gardevoir, S. ATK Nature bonus, perfect S. ATK IV, an assload of S. ATK EVs, Same Type Attack Bonus, Mind Plate, Psychic.

It one-shots a lot of these endgame people, good lord.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:32:55 PM by Chisou Taizen »

CadrinHaverit

« Reply #333 on: January 31, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »
The Stanley Parable mod for Half-Life 2 (or any Source engine-based game, really, it seems). It's short. It's simple. It's inspiring. It's very non-linear. It's thought-provoking, at least it was to me. This stuff is glorious, I recommend it to everyone who has any Source-based game on Steam, if only for the great narrative made by Kevan Brighting. Listen to the trailer of the mod, containing excerpts from the ingame narration - personally, I love this voice. It only takes up about 40 MBytes when zipped. So really, download it and do not watch any more videos or read anything about it without playing it first. It is so unique, it should be experienced beforehand.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:34:04 PM by Floccinaucinihilipilification »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
Metro 2033 is... better than I thought it would be. The story and characters are more engaging than any normal FPS, though considering this is based on a book, I'm not surprised. Ulman and Khan are quite interesting, and even
Spoiler:
ascended redshirts like Pavel
are memorable. The settings are very well detailed too, making the game real engrossing. Sure, the draw of a normal FPS is the actual S part, and this game might not deliver as much as a good one, but it's strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. Still, the only crime I've found with the game is that
Spoiler:
you aren't driven insane by looking at the Kremlin,
which is essentially what happens in the book.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »
Okay, so I'm back at Final Fantasy VI on my quest to find out if the final fantasy games actually were good once or if its just old fanboism that blinded me to the sewage. Or some shit like that. Currently opinion is that Final Fantasy VI is a pretty good game though it is painfully lacking challenge a lot of the time.

However, i've stumbled across one thing that I simply didn't like. The defence of Narshe mission. First of all, there is way too many guys for that mission to remain entertaining. It became tedious almost immediately as it was just you soaking up damage and clearing out enemies. Then the boss... I'll tell ya. I ended up fighting him with Edgar and Celes and due to my rather low levels i encountered an unexpected obstacle. The bastard can 1-shot Celes with his Drain spell so if he pulls that then I'm outta luck. Oh and if he decides to cast Ice 2 on my entire group then that'll wipe me too.

Solution was to keep up a Runic with Celes and hope that said Runic doesn't wear off before I can cast a new one. If it does and he decides to use any of his more devastating spells then I'm screwed.

One could suggest that I should've picked a better group which would raise the question of why you can't change your party after the mission has started. There is no logical reason you wouldn't be able to do this.

tl;dr - Narshe defence mission sucks
- boss can kill party in 1 attack if you get unlucky
- this results in you having to go through 15 minutes of repetitive gameplay if you hadn't had the power of save stating right before the boss.
- If I'm wrong, i want someone to tell me what I could've done different. Levelling before the mission is not acceptable.

I am past the segment now but I'm serious to know if there is someone who can provide some decent defence for the game design since it looks pretty damn half-assed to me since its literally a point of no return so you can't go back and grind levels even if you wanted to.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
Not really sure if this goes here, but oh well. It's probably the best place to ask.
Does anyone know what the name of that game is, where you play as some girl in an rpg. Except that you're not the hero, you're the vendor/merchant that sells the equipment to the 'heroes'?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
Atelier Iris? :V

Aquamentis

« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »
Moved onto quite a few different games:
Fate Extra (For when I want to play a game in english)
Black Rock Shooter: The Game
SD Gundam G Generation World
Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:29 AM »
FF6 saves your experience levels even after you die.  It just sets you back to your last save point.  So, no, there is no point at which you can't grind.  But the game's set up to not require any real grinding anyway, just fight what comes up and you should be good to go until a certain change of scenery, at which point all challenge flies right out the window.
As for that boss, you have three groups there, why not fight him with whatever group doesn't just have two people in it?  If he oneshots one of your guys with Drain or single target Ice2, you still have someone to attack and someone to drop a phoenix down.  Full party Ice2 hurts, but it shouldn't be a party-killer unless you're really underleveled.  IIRC it's about 175 damage?  I'm usually more annoyed at his being able to MT Confuse while we can't to be honest.
Also Gau can status his damn face off, but that's only if you have the right rages.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »
FF6 saves your experience levels even after you die.  It just sets you back to your last save point.
and oooooooh maaaaaaaan is this abusable

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2012, 04:29:02 AM »
don't you lose the esper boosts though?

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2012, 04:37:20 AM »
Who needs esper boosts when you're
Spoiler:
flying around the world with
level 80
Spoiler:
General Leo
at the beginning of the game?
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2012, 05:01:04 AM »
To be honest, FF6 GBA is even more broken in that regards except going backwards thanks to a glitch
Spoiler:
involving using a temporary save to start a new game (yes, the game isn't overwritten at that point. :V) and have the character of your choice die at the earliest point they can die at.
Too bad it only works via resetting your levels to the lowest they can go, you don't move to the beginning or anything, although you do keep your esper boosts. FF6 GBA did also fix some glitches, IIRC, so really FF6 Snes (No, thank you, I'm going to call it by that name even though it was named FF3 in its SNES days) is the best way to go if you're going to wreck the game with ridiculous glitches.

I'm not even sure how they missed that new glitch for the GBA port in Q&A testing, but anyways...

Currently playing:

Fortune Summoners (It came out in english two days ago if you're counting midnights as having changed days thanks to Carpe Fulgur)
Rune Factory 3 which should technically be named the Waifu Marrying Simulator 3.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:06:21 AM by rizul98 »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
Welp.

I was always complaining that money in Pokemon B/W could get hard to come by sometimes, but now I've got 1,800,000 yen to toss around :<

Considering dumping half my current team if ever I wanted to defeat the Elite Four Rematch set.
Seriously, Game Freak? Level 75?

My team is Gardevoir 84, Giratina 80, Serperior 57, Vanilluxe 56, (something) 55, Absol 50.

I recently picked up a Kyurem, so maybe I'll stick him in there somewhere.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2012, 10:09:40 AM »
FF6 saves your experience levels even after you die.  It just sets you back to your last save point. 

It does ? I didn't know about that.

As for that boss, you have three groups there, why not fight him with whatever group doesn't just have two people in it?

Because that group consisted of Cyan, Gau and Locke. Two of which were knocked out. Besides, I don't think they would be able to beat him since none of them were Celes and because I didn't have that many Phoenix downs.

IIRC it's about 175 damage?  I'm usually more annoyed at his being able to MT Confuse while we can't to be honest.
For me, it was about 240-250 dmg. Edgar had 280 so he could survive if he's at full health. Which he probably isn't since its a hopeless effort to keep your guys topped off when you only have two of them and one of them needs to go Runic every round to block spells.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
Man, I forgot how much of a Goblin Punch* SMT games were.
Just started up Devil Survivor, and so far I'm still only on the second day, and that's where it really ramped up the challenge.
..Maybe I shoulda jacked Anti-Ice instead of Ice Dance. Ah well, it's not like I missed out on it, I stole Anti-Ice from a COMP chip.
So it all balances out.

Right now my MC's team is a pair of Gozuki who know Dia instead of Desperation. (Suicide attacks. Y U do this to me game?)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

theshirn

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
Nah, Ice Dance is by far the better crack there.  The Dances, unlike most equivalent skills in other SMTs, remain viable all the way through the end of the game.

Also fuse a King Frost ASAP.  Tyranny is godlike.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
Advice on how to get one?

Oh, funny story. I was jacking around with fusions, and SOMEHOW I fused a Thor! (Insert first quote here.)
Mind you, this was after I'd fused the Gozuki and an Ubelluris.
Atsuro now has the Thor, and a Toubyou as well, meaning that none can escape the hammerdrop.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:07 PM »
Check GameFAQs for a fusion guide, I don't remember them :V  Just make sure to fuse Resist Fire onto him (which is pretty easy to do).  I think he's level 21 or so.

This your first time playing Devil Survivor?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.
Hovering around 16-18ish right now, so i can't quite do every fusion I wanna try.

EDIT: Okay, so Angel+Gagyson seems to be my best bet, I just gotta fuse an Angel. Hopefully I can get Resist Fire/Anti-Fire on one of those two.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:03:02 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
I know (from multiple runs) that there's an easy recipe for King Frost that gets you Resist Fire, which makes him durable as hell.

How have you been statting the MC?  And is this the original or Overclocked?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »
Original.

So far I'm pretty much having him balanced, with a slight skew towards STR/MAG.
Lemme just turn the game on...Okay, here we go.
STR: 9
MAG: 9
VIT: 8
AGI: 8

As for that recipe, do tell.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:47:39 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #355 on: February 02, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
Okay, I would strongly recommend never putting another point in strength.  I usually leave it at 8, as that's the requirement for Holy Dance, and you simply don't need anything else.

Physical is horribly gimped in DS, while Overclocked goes a long way towards evening this out.  The major problem with it is that there are only enough Physical skills - and Pierce, much more importantly - to have one decent Physical user, and Atsuro is required for a large number of the endgame fights.  You may as well just leave the smacking people to him.  Besides, magic is waaaaaay better, and there are enough different skills to have three magic users easily.

Ram the magic cap and watch enemies evaporate.  You can set Tailwind as your Auto Skill (once you get those) to compensate for somewhat lower agility and whatever the skill is that boosts max HP to keep yourself alive, and then watch everything die horribly before you.  There's only one point in the game where you want strength, and...well, a couple extra points don't make that much of a difference.

I'll look up the recipe in a bit.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2012, 12:23:19 AM »
Ah, Life Bonus?
Tailwind...You mean Hustle? Or is there actually a skill called that?

So just keep plowing MAG then. Well, I'll be sure to stick points in VIT if I feel I'm too glassy.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

theshirn

« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2012, 12:42:42 AM »
Life Bonus, yeah.  There's a better one later that you'll want to switch to.

One of the starting Auto Skills it gives you is Tailwind.  It boosts your speed, and is therefore very very useful.

EDIT: Found it.  Gagyson and Tlaloc.  Tlaloc has Anti-Fire.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 12:49:46 AM by GET SMART »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »
Tlaloc y'say? That's something I can fuse for right now!
So Gagyson+Tlaloc...Alright, I can do that! I'll probably have to level them up a smidge to make them viable for said fusion.
Eh, I need the exp anyhow! Lv22 fusion y'know, so I can't really fuse it yet.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Formless God

« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2012, 06:12:33 AM »
Make sure to not let Vit and Agi fall behind too much. Vit is pretty self-explanatory; Agi lets you attack first and makes your Dance skills hit more.
I'd also suggest you drop one more point into Str to use the Megido skills later (which can one-hit most endgame parties).