Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist  (Read 222892 times)

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now III: Return Of The Protagonist
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
I used to play games like the rest of you, then I took an arrow in the knee.
Yes, I'm playing Skyrim.

I'll also finish playing Tales of the Abyss once I get through all this Christmas stuff.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #241 on: December 25, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
Finally got into Cave STGs with DoDonPachi Ressurection; bought the rest of their iOS (iPhone versions) lineup as well thanks to sale. Considering it's a port it plays extremely well on the touch controls, and the dual Smartphone and Arcade modes are a nice touch, though it's occasionally a bit hard to see the danmaku on my 4th gen iPod Touch :V

Only complaint would be that I have to set system language to Japanese for Japanese vocals, particularly the notifications for Hyper Cannon/Counter, bosses, etc.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:37:47 AM by 大諏訪子 Gang Empire »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #242 on: December 26, 2011, 11:11:30 PM »
Been spending some time with Mushi Futari since I got it last week (haven't gotten Black Label yet, though). Stage 3's a brick wall for me right now on 1.5 Original -- had a no-miss of the first two stages earlier today and still game overed just after the S3 midboss. :derp: 1cc'd Arrange Original, though (reflect + autobombs ftw?)

« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »
Got to play Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary today. It lasted for all of two hours until i realized that the updated visuals looks no better than Halo 3 and the game design was still 2001. Seriously, either big bland open areas or large bland corridor labyrinths. I didn't recall the level design to be this bland but apparently it is. i'm still gonna give it some time and finish it sometime. It just sucks when a game you thought to be pretty good turns out to be pretty... meh.

Still not done with Vampire Rain though. It turned out to be a pretty decent game. Hard as fuck stealth game until you get to the final chapters when it turns into a shitty shooter. That's not very kind of it. I'd wish it wouldn't do that.

Oh and jc_foster, not that your post isn't welcome here but wouldn't it be more appropriate to put that stuff in the STG thread?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:08:08 AM by Zengeku »

Formless God

« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2011, 02:51:36 AM »
Cave Story.

Fucking bees.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2011, 04:05:26 AM »
To go along with my brand-new Xbox 360, finished up Sonic Generations' story tonight.
Spoiler:
Pretty simplistic, maybe more simplistic than Sonic Colors, which surprised me a bit.
I like how even the newer levels mix their original designs around for Modern Sonic - I've done some of them enough times over the years that replaying them as is would be way too easy. There's also being able to play the otherwise awesome-looking Crisis City without having to subject myself to playing Sonic '06, thank God. The challenge levels will have to wait until I get this thing mailed back to my place in Indiana, however.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
Oh, lord, BIS is getting brutal now.

So, um, I'm limiting to Stache upgrades only, as well as not dodging.

I'm spending all of my money on healing items, my defense is in the toilet, I'm level 13, and it's time to take on Bowser in Toadley's Clinic.

This.
Is.
Impossible.

My HP is out of 94 and out of 66 and he's knocking them down to 0 and 5 every time he pulls out the Goombas.

Mario:
66 HP / 23 SP / 65 ATK / 55 DEF / 40 SPD / 57 STA
Luigi:
94 HP / 21 SP / 40 ATK / 71 DEF / 28 SPD / 66 STA

Holding out on a SMRPG 2, and hoping it'll be SMT- levels hard
Soooo much
Something like that is exactly what I want to see out of Nintendo and I would love it to fuckin' death

« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
G3

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »
Let's pile more stuff on top of all the stuff I'm already playing! Well, then again, I did beat a couple of other games recently, so it's not too bad.

First up, I'm playing Cave Story+. I actually like the updated graphics, and the updated music is pretty solid, too. I thought about attempting the 3 HP run, but then I realized I loved the game and didn't want to wind up hating it. The sprites swapped for Christmas were fun. Quote was dressed as a reindeer, the Doc has a present for a hat, and Professor Booster's getup was ripped right from the movie Elf. Also, that cat that randomly jumps out of the destroyed Monster X had a Christmas sweater on. The sprite is onscreen for probably just over a second and has no animation.

Next is Dead Space 2. It's been installed on my PC for the last 5 weeks, but I know what happens at the start and that gave me the jibblies so much I didn't really want to start. Sure, it's just horror, but it's entertaining all right. You can't tell me that the javelin gun gets old, either. The game seems to want to be System Shock and Doom 3's lovechild after taking a right turn at The Thing Avenue. I also love how the Church of Unitology is SO VERY NOT the Church of Scientology, and how all the worst reports of the CoS are directly incorporated into the CoU.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

K

• 五月雨を あつめて早し
  • 最上川
« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:14 AM »
I thought about attempting the 3 HP run, but then I realized I loved the game and didn't want to wind up hating it.

Trying this against all better judgment. Things are starting to do a lot more than 2 damage per hit now, so I think I've hit the point of annoyance.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2011, 02:40:26 AM »
All right, turns out No Dodging the Bowser fight is almost literally impossible.

Mario / LV 17
98 HP / 27 MP / 66 St / 78 Df / 52 Ag / 63 Lu
Luigi / LV 17
118 HP / 25 MP / 52 St / 89 Df / 36 Ag / 80 Lu

Level grinding even /more/ is almost out of the question.
The Bros. are sitting at about 9,500 EXP total. Level 18 is at 12,000 D:
But.... if I do, I get access to the next tier of equipment :<

Waaaaah~

...So, the general rule for bosses is that they start with one move per turn, and then build up to several the more they die.

He pulls out his fire attack after you chop off 500 of his 900 HP.
The attack hits three times and brings M&L from full health to 2 and 29 HP, respectively.
And then he takes another turn. Last time he punched Mario and he died.
And then he takes another turn. He fakes out Luigi- since this is a "no dodge" nothing happens, Bowser jumps over Luigi.

And then he takes another turn, and pulls out the Goombas.
Enough of them hit Luigi to bring him down to 10 HP.
Everything would be fine if none of the Goombas falling down hit him.

But the last one does.

this gaaaaaaame ;_;

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #251 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
MJP rented Skyrim for me because I am on winter break now.

Yessss I can live out my fantasy of the unholy union of two-handed battle axes and fireballs to the face while roleplaying a viking/Klingon.  Ranged attacks?  Stealth?  What is this?

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2011, 03:51:30 AM »
MJP rented Skyrim for me because I am on winter break now.

Yessss I can live out my fantasy of the unholy union of two-handed battle axes and fireballs to the face while roleplaying a viking/Klingon.  Ranged attacks?  Stealth?  What is this?

"God gave you two hands and you use them both for your weapon.  I can respect that."

Sality

« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »
Pokemon Red.

Curse you assholes who spammed my FB with Charizard pictures!

« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
I was trying that CrimeCraft game for the Steam Achievement since I finally got it to work.

I decided it wasn't worth bothering with the achievement cause the game was a total abomination. Then deleted it from my hard drive.

Gonna go buy Binding of Isaac though.

Edit:

20 Deaths
0 Mom Kills
0 Chances at the Christmas achievement

Combined suck and bad luck.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:17:56 PM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
Lessee...

In Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, I am showing my lack of social skills by angering every demon I talk to. Several times I have talked to every demon in battle and ended the battle without a fight by making them all walk off in disgust. :]

And in Skyward Sword, I play as the world's dumbest Link. I don't blame the Wii controls for my inability to thrust; that is entirely Link's fault, because he's extra-dopey this time around. :V

Oh, and I pounced on the Steam sale and bought Serious Sam BFE today, but that will have to wait until I spring for a better video card. :(

And to round out the emotes used at the end of every line, :fail:
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
SMT: Nocturne, again.

Oh, and with an audience that is my parents.
My mother called it stupid (She's a Bejeweled person)
My dad seemed to actively engage in it, though.
"Oh, she did some healing spell?" "He's taking four turns doing that?" "It looks like Matador is about to die."
My mother did look up enough to laugh at me when I died, though. :V

Finally defeated the Hell Biker, despite TWO fire-weak party members.

Sometimes how smart this game is scares me.

Kikuri-Hime dies, leaving no one left weak to fire. I summon Chatterskull (drain Fire), and then he stops using Hell Burner because he's losing turns.
And then I resurrect Kikuri-Hime, and he starts wailing on Chatterskull so he can start using Hell Burner again. :]

My dad even commented on it.
"He's trying to take out Chatterskull because of the fire drain, hahahah"

Currently in Kabukicho Prison, level 34.
Wondering what to look out for, usual deal.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:20:54 PM by Chisou Taizen »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #257 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »
While I wait for my Xbox to be shipped over, playing through Rayman Origins. Thank God there's infinite lives in this game, otherwise I'd go berserk from all the attempts I make to get those Lum medals. :V I'm having great fun with this game though. Ubisoft sure hasn't lost a step with this franchise.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2011, 12:13:50 AM »
Experiencing Sonic Adventure DX for the first time, up to Sky Deck. I can see why the obsessive purists think this is where the series started to go downhill... but I like the level designs (even if they don't control perfectly), and the bad voice acting and lip-syncing is more amusing than anything.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #259 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:43 AM »
Experiencing Sonic Adventure DX for the first time, up to Sky Deck. I can see why the obsessive purists think this is where the series started to go downhill... but I like the level designs (even if they don't control perfectly), and the bad voice acting and lip-syncing is more amusing than anything.
Hey, be thankful that characters' lines in SA don't overlap like they do in SA2. :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2011, 02:55:42 AM »
Hey, be thankful that characters' lines in SA don't overlap like they do in SA2. :V

Actually, that's one of the most silly things in SA. When scenes overlap between each scenario, they say different things with the same meanings. It got kind of ridiculous when four of the characters are present during
Spoiler:
Sonic's fight with E-102
and they all say different dialogue in each one when the exact same thing happens. :V
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2011, 03:37:02 AM »
Actually, that's one of the most silly things in SA. When scenes overlap between each scenario, they say different things with the same meanings. It got kind of ridiculous when four of the characters are present during
Spoiler:
Sonic's fight with E-102
and they all say different dialogue in each one when the exact same thing happens. :V
No, I think what was meant is that SA2 has dialogue lines that literally start before the other ones end, because the dubbed lines were simply too long.  this is the one I always think of.

Either way, I love Adventure 1 & 2.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
No, I think what was meant is that SA2 has dialogue lines that literally start before the other ones end, because the dubbed lines were simply too long.  this is the one I always think of.
That is indeed what I meant.

Speaking of Sonic, turns out my box arrived in the middle of dinner (I have to say, that was pretty fast delivery). So I'm back playing Sonic Generations again. I'm in heaven. :D

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2011, 06:15:09 AM »
I had the ability to pick up Nocturne a couple of days ago, but decided not to after remembering my troubles with non-Persona SMT games.  Picked up Tetris DS instead, and I wonder just exactly what kind of person cheats in infinite Starmen for multiplayer. Also trying to Perfect Impetus in BIT.TRIP RUNNER.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #264 on: December 30, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
I guess you have to clear Mom's Heart in Binding of Isaac for it to count as a Mom kill.

Still, I managed to clear the game which unlocked the next set of levels. I had half a heart left during quite a long time during the last part of the Mom fight, so it ended up being way too close for my liking.

Now I'm going to have to pull it off again along with the new area.

Awesome game though.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #265 on: December 30, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
I guess you have to clear Mom's Heart in Binding of Isaac for it to count as a Mom kill.

Still, I managed to clear the game which unlocked the next set of levels. I had half a heart left during quite a long time during the last part of the Mom fight, so it ended up being way too close for my liking.

Now I'm going to have to pull it off again along with the new area.
By the time you have defeated Mom's Heart a couple times, you will wonder how you ever struggled to reach Mom in the first place.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #266 on: December 30, 2011, 06:02:03 PM »
@Amae

Not sure how :V

I'm sure I'm the only one in the world that's having more trouble with P3 than Nocturne :]

It... feels weird to describe, but at times in Nocturne, it's much easier to brute force things.
I once was left alone with 25 HP at the Dante fight, for instance- instead of recovery, I chose Lunge, and killed him on a 500 damage critical.
Also kind of how I killed Matador.
And Daisoujou.
And Hell Rider.

You can't really do that so often in Persona :D
Well... not reliably, anyway.
I tried to Sonic Punch a Venus Eagle in floor 29 of Arqa, and left it with a less-than-a-pixel-of-HP of a lifebar- after sick Junpei died and sick Yukari died and tired and battered low HP Akihiko left.
I didn't survive.

Oh, but speaking of Nocturne...
I guess I'm going to Asakusa...

Mizuchi was kind of a letdown of a boss...

I was more than capable of taking him down, because all of my friends voided Mirage...

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #267 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
So since I got the Humble Indie Bundle gifted for christmas, I've been playing alot of Super Meat Boy for the last few days.

Beaten the regular boss so far, working on unlocking the dark boss, getting more bandages, and eventually the bonus world, that last damn warp zone (guess which one), etc.

This game is amazing. Simple yet addicting gameplay, difficult but fair, and an awesome soundtrack.  :dragonforce:

I -do- get annoying variable slowdown quite often though, which goes hand-in-hand with occasional input-lag and unresponsive controls. Not the best prerequisite for a game like this.   :colonveeplusalpha:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #268 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
The random slowdown has caused  many BS deaths for me. It'd be even more annoying if I was going for a no death achievement for a chapter.

For the main game, the 360 version definitely plays best, but the PC version's worth it for Super Meat World.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #269 on: December 31, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
The random slowdown has caused  many BS deaths for me. It'd be even more annoying if I was going for a no death achievement for a chapter.

For the main game, the 360 version definitely plays best, but the PC version's worth it for Super Meat World.
Try running it with -lowquality as a launch option.