Author Topic: Controls are sticking...  (Read 6165 times)

Controls are sticking...
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
Occasionally when I play touhou, the controls will stick, making it to where I keep moving in one direction without stopping. This is especially frustrating when I get close to beating the games on lunatic for the first time only to have to shut the game off and restart it. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Controls are sticking...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
Anyone else ever have this problem?

All of the fucking time.

Seriously it's just "I want to beat this game I want to beat this game *hits up and it locks "up"* FUCK I HAVE TO QUIT

Okay it's not ALL OF THE TIME but it's still a good 20% of my gameplay.

Next time it happens, I'm going to continue with it happening.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:04 AM »
It's extremely rare for me... Maybe one in every 100+ runs might have it happen.  It's annoying when it does though =.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »
seems like it happens to me when I'm using too much CPU. Have you checked for any background processes that take up your CPU and memory a lot?
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Massaca

• すやぁ...
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:18 AM »
I've only had it once and that was on one of my first runs of PCB on Normal. Was doing pretty good (relatively speaking) and then Youmu enters and my left arrow key sticks on. At the time I though it was a part of that fight and the stage (like a power of hers or something) but it didn't happen on the next run.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
It happens sometimes but as Chirpy said, it's very rare and it's annoying. It was pretty frequent when i used the arrow keys though so I got hold of a remapping program by a guy named mefidex. People could try remapping their movement keys to something else and see if that makes things better.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
Pressing the left or right numpad arrowkey when this happens fixes the problem for me.

Thinking is hard.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
I had no problems whatsoever until a month or so ago. Although for me it's not "locking into one direction" but more like "randomly moving unfocused with no prior warning, for no particular reason".

Zil

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
It forces me to focus every once in a while. Pressing shift again gets rid of it. In PoFV and GFW I sometimes start moving left. I've also noticed that it happens more often at some points in the games. It's almost sure to happen against Kogasa's first nonspell and spell, for example. I think the record is 6 times in a row before the nonspell ended. Another spot is Test Slave, and that is truly annoying.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
Key sticking never happened to me because i use a gamepad :V
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
Key sticking never happened to me because i use a gamepad :V
Same here :V
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Never happened to me, and I've used both keyboards and game pads.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:37:53 AM »
What BT said. My shift randomly decides to not work sometimes, in which case I suddenly start dashing again. I've had the key stick problem like.. once? And then never again. I think that I'll go to key remapping if that happens again, cuz I'd rather not have it happen again. :V

Ozzy

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »
Like the above poster, I've only had my shift key stop working occasionally. I've never had the keys stick. What causes it?

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »
If it has to do with memory usage, then it definitely has to do with Norton. It chews up CPU usage and Memory like no tomorrow, especially when its scanning.

pineyappled

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 05:08:50 AM »
Mine used to stick because there was something wrong with the keyboard itself. A cheap new one does the job for now.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:49:37 AM »
To fix it while it's happening, press the key that's 'stuck'.  Ex: if your ship is moving left of its own accord, press and release the button that should move it left; it should then stop moving left.

I haven't tried the numpad trick since the above has always worked for me.  Learned it from a guy who learned it from a guy who learned it from a letter.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
To fix it while it's happening, press the key that's 'stuck'.  Ex: if your ship is moving left of its own accord, press and release the button that should move it left; it should then stop moving left.
I've had it occur a lot for other games as well, and doing this will almost always work. If not, then just reset the game.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »
Very very rarely happened for me.  Over the two years I've been playing Touhou, I think it only happened twice for me...once in SA Extra, and once in PCB Phantasm (dammit Yukari!).  I couldn't really find a solution other than to quit the game.  And yes, it definitely seemed to be the game's fault, since I noticed that my actual keys weren't really sticking once I exited the game.

RSFiye

• Studying, studying, studying...
  • ...learning to control this rod.
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
I use a Logitech G13, never have any issues unless I'm booting up the software after starting the game.

The keyboard on my laptop can't take enough inputs to let me fire and move in a diagonal direction at the same time. Q,Q

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
Occasionally happen to me using keyboard.
Now I'm using gamepad and sometimes happen too  :V
Spoiler:
because my cat trolling me by rushing into usb port and unplug my gamepad

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
1/100 runs of MoF, I'll start flying in one direction, and if I un-fullscreen and then re-fullscreen UFO, there's input lag, even with the Vpatch, BUT...
PERFECT MOTHERFUCKING CHERRY BLOSSOM
If I pause it and then minimise or defullscreen the window then go to type to someone, there is a chance of the keys spamming and hitting everything at once and quitting my game.
Happened when I was on Yuyuko's final spell with 4/4 remaining. My first 'successful' Normal 1cc of PCB, too :T
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS