Author Topic: Stuffman's weekly game, maybe not D&D? (Maybe so!)  (Read 68473 times)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: Stuffman's weekly game, maybe not D&D? (Maybe so!)
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »
Yeah as many people can apply as they like, in my experience you can never get everyone to show up anyway so having an oversized group actually results in a normal-sized one :V

Just to make sure everybody notes this again: The game will not start until at least January, so take your time thinking about what you'd like to play.

As a side note, oh man I am having so much fun making the Wild Surge list for UK. Have a few entries:
: You and all targets of the spell MUST DANCE! (Irresistable Dance)
: Explosive Runes appear on the foreheads of all targets of the spell.
: The Tarrasque is summoned for 1 round in the center of the battlefield. It attacks somebody at random.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »
I can see this will be a lot of fun. The wild surges I mean.

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:32 AM »
: The Tarrasque is summoned for 1 round in the center of the battlefield. It attacks somebody at random.

Oh good fucking lord.

... this is going to be hilarious and I love you both, Stuffman and UK.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2009, 01:07:13 AM »
Oh good fucking lord.

... this is going to be hilarious and I love you both, Stuffman and UK.

And we haven't even gotten to that spell I told you about, Arashi :P. Well, granted, I won't get that for a few levels ANYWAY, but we modified it slightly.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
Augh, I missed this!!  NOOOOOOO

*ahem*

I'd actually LOVE to play a 3.5 game, 12 EST (5 GMT) works for me too (but 11 wouldn't, so yay).  I haven't had much chance to play D&D in quite some time, but I'd love to get back into it.  I've played for several years, mostly 3E and a bit of 3.5...mostly at a fairly basic level, though (core rulebooks only).  I would need an explanation of how we're doing everything, though, as I've never been in on this.

And now I have to think of a character...heeheehee...I have several ideas already...

...oh man, now I'm all excited...

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2009, 02:51:15 AM »
My brain is overloading from the infinite design possibilities *_*

Are there any restrictions to what kind of characters we can make? I don't even know where to begin.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2009, 03:05:50 AM »
Are there any restrictions to what kind of characters we can make? I don't even know where to begin.

Well, even though it takes place over multiple planes and dimensions and whatnot, let's avoid anything modern getting involved (such as guns and stuff). Basically, nothing outside the scope of the game rules.

Otherwise, go nuts.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2009, 03:38:27 AM »
Are we going to possibly have a planning/character creation session tomorrow or not start til next week (or later?)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:05 AM »
Hm, that's not a bad idea.

Tomorrow I'll be hanging in #touhou-dandy at dejatoons. (Get it? D&D? Dandy? GET IT?) Being there is not required, I'll just be there to answer questions, distribute books, and help with whatever concepts you may have. Nothing will be set in stone yet.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »

Tomorrow I'll be hanging in #touhou-dandy at dejatoons. (Get it? D&D? Dandy? GET IT?) Being there is not required, I'll just be there to answer questions, distribute books, and help with whatever concepts you may have. Nothing will be set in stone yet.

I'll be there mostly to create a character sheet and finalize most things. Hopefully we'll have a starting level and gold then ^-^?

theshirn

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2009, 04:14:29 AM »

I'll hopefully be around at some point to discuss an old character of mine that...will probably have a level adjustment, to put it simply.  That is, if I can figure out how to get there.  Never did learn me how to use them there Eye-Are-See...

tl;dr how do you get there, I know nothing

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »
1. Get an IRC client of your choice. I use mIRC.
2. Enter your nickname in the window that comes up when you start it.
3. In the status window, type /server irc.dejatoons.net. This connects you to the dejatoons server.
4. Again in the status window, type /join #touhou-dandy.
5. A window for the channel will pop up. All the users currently in it are listed to the left.
6. Chat!

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »

Uh... might I suggest that not be one of the possibilities? The big T will turn a character below level 13-ish into a fine red mist, so that's essentially a roulette death sentence, and those aren't very fun.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
No need to worry that much. Stuffman's handwavium should keep you safe-ish. Anyway, it's part of the psychadelic bears and giant squirrels routine.

Fightest

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2009, 08:50:07 AM »
No need to worry that much. Stuffman's handwavium should keep you safe-ish. Anyway, it's part of the psychadelic bears and giant squirrels routine.

Oh dear, just how silly is this game going to be?

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »
I wouldn't like it if the game got TOO ridiculous myself =/ Some moments of absurdity to freak the characters out might be fun, but overall I somewhat doubt that I'd enjoy being in something that would basically be a Looney Tunes RP <_<;

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »
It'll be something like silly seriousness. Not to be confused with serious silliness. If something can happen, there'll always be a logical explanation for it.

Fightest

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »
It'll be something like silly seriousness. Not to be confused with serious silliness. If something can happen, there'll always be a logical explanation for it.

That's fine then. If it's a "one thing led to another and now we're having a dance-off with mutant illithids" thing, then it's a-okay!

[edit] @ShiningDrake: If you're interested in playing a pacifist, and if Stuffman allows it, since there's some broken stuff in there, have a look at the Book of Exalted Deeds. There are a few feats in there which basically mean that your character has taken vows to not do something and gets superpowers in return. I talk specifically of the feats Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace, which give you serious bonuses in exchange for being a pacifist.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:09:21 AM by Fightest »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »
I'll probably be there sometime tomorrow, later in the day. I'm excited. \o/

These are the best kinds of games! It keeps things fun and amusing, yet still feels important and investing.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
Roughly, would you say that this "silly seriousness" is around the level of, say, Tales of the Abyss? Or, uh, any other Tales game? If so, then it sounds perfect. Silliness, but nothing like being tossed straight into a Looney Tunes show or a Disgaea game, and still very far from feeling like the entire thing is just one big joke.

theshirn

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
That's fine then. If it's a "one thing led to another and now we're having a dance-off with mutant illithids" thing, then it's a-okay!
THIS IS THE BEST CAMPAIGN EVER

It's up there with the Etiquette Orcs, from an old session of mine.  Aaaah, good times!

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Uh... might I suggest that not be one of the possibilities? The big T will turn a character below level 13-ish into a fine red mist, so that's essentially a roulette death sentence, and those aren't very fun.

Don't worry ^-^! There's only a 5% chance I'll wild surge, and then only a 1% chance that that specifically will happen ^-^. (And I get the impression Stuffman dislikes characters dying)

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
The first 4E campaign I did here was a joke campaign, all the monsters were just puns and references and stuff. (The psychedelic bear followed an encounter with a bunch of skeletons called the Grateful Dead). The second that we played for a bit was more serious.

Basically, it won't be off the wall like the first one, but if you're looking for a super serious dramatic game then I'm not the DM for you. I like to take it easy.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2009, 06:12:22 PM »
The first 4E campaign I did here was a joke campaign, all the monsters were just puns and references and stuff. (The psychedelic bear followed an encounter with a bunch of skeletons called the Grateful Dead). The second that we played for a bit was more serious.

Basically, it won't be off the wall like the first one, but if you're looking for a super serious dramatic game then I'm not the DM for you. I like to take it easy.

As do I. I get the feeling this will be fun. Oh, I might have come up with another interesting spell I'll tell you about when I'm done dealing with stuff around here.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »
Here's the setup thus far:

Level 3 (3000 XP)
2700 GP
32 Point Buy (start at 8, 2 points above 14, 3 points above 16)

What people are playing:
UK - Hengeyokai Wizard
Pesco - Ewok Scout
Fightest - Gold Dwarf Fighter/Crusader
theshim - Human Duskblade
ShiningDrake - (healer of some kind)
suki - (archer of some kind)

House rules:
- Only one so far: we're using 3.0 weapon size rules.
- Once again, I will be handwaving all mundane items, such as torches and rope. You don't need to buy them, we'll just assume you have them. (However, nonmagical equipment must still be accounted for.)
- You don't roll your HD; your first level is max HD as usual, then every level thereafter is half your HD+1.

Inquire if you have anything to ask.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:42:06 PM by Stuffman »

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 08:12:56 PM »
How do 3.0 weapon size rules work? Technically your wild magic rules are house rules as well though, right?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
How do 3.0 weapon size rules work? Technically your wild magic rules are house rules as well though, right?
In 3.5, weapons are classified as light, one-hand, or two-hand, and also what size character they are made for. So it's two parameters. In 3.0, it was just one parameter; weapons were classified as small (light), medium, or large (need two hands). If you were a small character, you shifted the weapon sizes one size up; therefore for a halfling, a longsword is a two-handed sword. This way makes more sense to me, and doesn't require me to generate multiple sizes of weapons.

The wild magic rules are more like custom content, since they don't replace existing rules.

Also:

<Fightest> also, what's this Hengyokai dealie?
<@Stuffman> It's from Oriental Adventures
<Fightest> aah, cool
<@Stuffman> It's normally an LA +1 but it honestly kinda sucks so I let her have it for free
<Fightest> what's it do?
<@Stuffman> It's a shapeshifting animal. Polymorphs into a cat
<@Stuffman> Lemme get the statline
<@Stuffman> +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +4 Balance, polymorphs into a cat. Yep.
<Fightest> and it had LA?
<@Stuffman> Yeah
<Fightest> jesus
<Fightest> just a regular cat?
<@Stuffman> Yeah
<Fightest> well... I guess it's a danger to commoners
<@Stuffman> Hahaha
<Pesco> Wut
<Fightest> in dnd 3.x regular housecats can very realistically kill commoner humans
<ArashiKurobara> Mechanically it fit her concept perfectly.
<ArashiKurobara> The fluff's all wrong but that can be redone if needed.
<ArashiKurobara> *shrug*
<@Stuffman> Yeah she's only a Hengeyokai mechanically
<Fightest> will there be Orin jokes?
<@Stuffman> Oh and she also has a cat familiar so lol
<@Stuffman> SUP DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE CATS SO I PUT A CAT ON YOUR CAT SO YOU CAN CAT WHILE YOU CAT
<ArashiKurobara> lol
<Fightest> oh god take a level of druid and get a cat animal companion too
<Pesco> I am so eating her cat if I get the chance
<Fightest> become crazy cat lady
<theshim> and then sorceror
<theshim> and get a cat familiar
<Fightest> a wizard already
<theshim> oh?
<theshim> nerts
<Fightest> although Ultimate Magus DOES kick ass...
<@Stuffman> Take that gain familiar feat repeatedly
<@Stuffman> Take a cat every time
<Fightest> oh, and go into the beastmaster prestige class
<Fightest> take a cat every time
<Fightest> that's, like, 6 cats at least
<@Stuffman> Okay we are now optimizing to see how many cats a character can become
<Fightest> best optimization ever
<Fightest> needs more mirror image
<Fightest> at max CL, that's, like, +8 cats
<Fightest> on top of the 6 cats already there
<Fightest> maybe a few cats here and there
<Fightest> we're looking at at least 15 cats
<ArashiKurobara> Cast Mirror Image on every cat
<ArashiKurobara> At least until you run out of spell slots.
<@Stuffman> They'll never know which cat is actually you
<ArashiKurobara> Also go focused conjuror
<Fightest> eh, Chain Spell metamagic
<ArashiKurobara> Prep a ton of summons
<ArashiKurobara> Summon cats.
<Fightest> profit
<ArashiKurobara> Except it's not on any of the summon monster lists that I can see
<Fightest> pff
<ArashiKurobara> I think a fiendish housecat would not be out of line added to Summon Monster I
<ArashiKurobara> PrC into Malconvoker
<ArashiKurobara> get extra summons when you summon fiendish things
<Fightest> pit fiend cats
<Fightest> marilith cats
<Fightest> practical cats
<Fightest> dramatical cats
<Fightest> fanatical cats
<ArashiKurobara> heh
<Fightest> etc. etc.
<Fightest> at that point you'd need the swarm template
<Fightest> or maybe an ooze
<Fightest> i can already tell this game's gonna be interesting
<@Stuffman> Cat ooze??
<@Stuffman> You are now imagining a cube of cats taking up the space of a gelatinous cube
<Fightest> rolling over everything in its path
<Fightest> and adorable all the way
<Pesco> ...
<theshim> this discussion is completely awesome

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Hey, UK, are you going to have any particular focus with your wizard (e.g. a specialty school) or anything? I've kinda narrowed down the ideas I've been tossing around to a couple arcane caster builds too and trying to avoid stepping on others' toes does me a lot of good in narrowing down options.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
I, and possibly Theorin are considering making Psionics users. Are you willing to allow this, Stuffman?
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
Yes. Psionics is awesome. I love psionics.