Author Topic: JQ Wants to Make an RPG! [Demo 1 in progress. I NEED A TITLE!]  (Read 18378 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: JQ Wants to Make an RPG! (Idea formation and planning topic!)
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
I'd say that might be a bit long. Then again, the prologue for Fate/Stay Night lasted a whopping 1-2 hours.
Then again, you also have to account for any light grinding players might choose to undertake to make things easier in the long run.
(Because, odds are, Youmu's only gonna be Lv1, while Youki's Lv15 or something.)
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 01:55:47 AM »
I'd say that might be a bit long. Then again, the prologue for Fate/Stay Night lasted a whopping 1-2 hours.
Then again, you also have to account for any light grinding players might choose to undertake to make things easier in the long run.
(Because, odds are, Youmu's only gonna be Lv1, while Youki's Lv15 or something.)
Well, the prologue goes over the following things:
-It introduces combat
-It provides the first mini-dungeon thing by having you explore a little of Hakugyokurou
-It has your first boss battle
-It talks about, but does not actually utilize, on-field skill usage and gives a little information about how skill learning from Youki will work.

Not sure if doing all that should happen in less time or what, but it's just my first go around of making it, so if I need to re-do it it's fine.

(You never have Youki in your party during this segment, though you do spar with him as the very first combat encounter.  Which reminds me, I need to remember to make sure he can't kill you...  But yes, Youmu begins at level 1.)
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 02:06:31 AM »
Well, you might be able to streamline it. I'd have to wait until the demo's out to know for sure.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Jq1790

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
So, I have a desire to give observant players an extra skill early on...yet I'm having issues deciding what kind of skill to make it.  I had one thought, and it WILL be implemented at SOME point, but I feel like it's way too powerful for the beginning of the game(It's a priority auto-crit attack, to be exact.  Was thinking it'd cost a percentage of MaxMP so it never became PARTICULARLY cheap to use.)

Any thoughts on that skill, or what I might make the player able to learn early on if they look for an item?

EDIT:  Also, prologue completely done except a tiny thing, and i'm working on the in-between for that and Chapter 1.  Stay tuned, that demo might not be that far off~!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:39:53 PM by Jq1790 »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Well, let's look at the cards and such that Youmu has that you haven't already made into skills.

Alternately, make it one of the moves Youki has at his disposal that Youmu does not. And handwave the cost as her not being skilled enough to use it like he can.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Jq1790

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
Well, let's look at the cards and such that Youmu has that you haven't already made into skills.

Alternately, make it one of the moves Youki has at his disposal that Youmu does not. And handwave the cost as her not being skilled enough to use it like he can.
Well, I've got her 200 Yojana line, and her Slash of Meditation card from the fighters, and I'm currently trying to come up with something for the Five Signs of the Dying Deva card line(considering making that a set of self-buffs, but not certain), but beyond that?  Nothing figured out yet.  Was thinking she'd learn a double-attack skill by level-up relatively early on, so that's covered.  I'm leaning more toward the thought of it being something Youki can do that Youmu cannot, like you mentioned, and I actually like your handwaving idea...
* Jq1790 goes to see if we know any of Youki's exclusive skills or anything

EDIT:  Not that my updates have been exactly frequent anyway, but sometime soon they'll be forced to delay a day due to incoming 24hour-death by Reimu's balls.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:28:11 AM by Jq1790 »

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
Christ... sorry, my time isnt as open as i would like it to be right now. sorry for AWOLing.

Seems like everything paving out nicely though.  :3

Jq1790

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
Christ... sorry, my time isnt as open as i would like it to be right now. sorry for AWOLing.

Seems like everything paving out nicely though.  :3
S'ok, I know the feeling.  All's working well so far, just working on some things for a simplistic crafting system, actually.  Had some issues at first with it, but now I've got a method down.  (Only three craftables so far, but I haven't even gotten the first chapter's dungeon started yet due to working on the first town, so...  Trying to decide if/who I want for a new party member to join up during this chapter, and if so, when they'd do so, but I'll figure that out more once the village is built.

Either way, I've been able to work more the past couple weeks, so all good here.  Thanks for stopping back by though!

Jq1790

Re: JQ Wants to Make an RPG! [Demo 1 in progress. I NEED A TITLE!]
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
Just bumping to add some progress:
First village(the Human Village, specifically, since the beginning takes you from Hakugyokurou to the Forest of Magic and then to the Human village before the first real 'dungeon' area.) is about halfway built, by my estimate.

Finished:
-Weapon/Armor/Crafting Shop
-Pub/Inn
-Item Shop

In Progress:
-Accessory Shop(debating on if there will be any purchaseables before the end of Chapter 1.)
-Random other houses for the sake of having more stuff
-The school-whose-name-I-don't-remember-if-it-has-one

Other To-Dos for Demo #1:
-Dungeon 1
-Boss Battle 2
-Possibly additional party member
-Skills to learn up through Level 7, both by level-up and via Youki

Didn't get as much done Tuesday as I'd've liked, but hopefully more progress will happen today.  Onward!

EDIT:  Also, a thing that needs to happen sometime, preferably soon-ish:  This game needs a NAME!  Suggestions are wanted heavily, so please, let me know if any of you have ideas!  Initial idea was 'Journey of Half-Phantom' but I'm wondering if that's just super-generic and boring.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:05:31 PM by Jq1790 »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »
How about 'Half-Ghost Legend: A Tale of Two Swords'?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »
I think Journey of the Half-Phantom sounds fine. Or Half-Phantom Journey. Touhou Half-Phantom Journey.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
How about  東方化剣脳 (read as Tōhō Kakennō which literally means "Ghost Sword Memory of the East") ~ Phantom Sword Recollection

I look forward to trying the demo once I have more time off from classes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:02:54 PM by Genso »

Jq1790

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 02:26:42 AM »
How about  東方化剣脳 (read as Tōhō Kakennō which literally means "Ghost Sword Memory of the East") ~ Phantom Sword Recollection

I look forward to trying the demo once I have more time off from classes.
...Ladies an gentlemen, I think we might have a winner here!  Not fully decided, but heavily leaning towards this one.  (Though I thank all who've visited and provided ideas)

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 01:43:56 AM »
Haha, when it comes to things like this my friends say I have a knack for names.

Just a note: I'm not fully Japanese so I would need to get a check on that kanji. I know for a fact that 幽 can mean ghost/ghostly and would probably be more appropriate. (The change would look like this: 東方幽剣脳 = Tōhō Yūkennō, but still same meaning. Sorry couldn't help to mention that).

Anyway good luck with your game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:10:53 AM by Genso »

Jq1790

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 02:27:31 AM »
Haha, when it comes to things like this my friends say I have a knack for names.

Just a note: I'm not fully Japanese so I would need to get a check on that kanji. I know for a fact that 幽 can mean ghost/ghostly and would probably be more appropriate. (The change would look like this: 東方幽剣脳 = Tōhō Yūkennō, but still same meaning. Sorry couldn't help to mention that).

Anyway good luck with your game.
Thanks!  Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally get myself to finish up the town so I can get the first chapter's dungeon started!

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
Christ, my graphics card failed and all that fun stuff. finally back up. Anything new?

Awww, missed the naming game. aw well.  :derp:

Jq1790

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
Christ, my graphics card failed and all that fun stuff. finally back up. Anything new?

Awww, missed the naming game. aw well.  :derp:
Name is not finalized.  Will likely finalize when Beta 1 is released, so until then, ideas are still welcome!

Jq1790

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 02:43:09 AM »
I'm not dead!  Progress has been slow, sadly, but once I get the NPC houses done for the villagre it'll hopefully pick up more as I work on designing the Chapter 1 dungeon!

Oh, right, also...  I was considering doing a setup similar to how the regular Touhou shmups work, with six main chapters(this does not include the 'tutorial' chapter) along with an Extra(postgame) chapter(perhaps also a Phantasm chapter, depending, but it might just be rolled into the Extra as a sort of post-Extra little thing or some such, depending on how things are going by the time I reach that stage.)

Does anyone have objections to a setup like this?  Anything you think would work better?  I realize that the final decision must be my own, but since this game's being made mainly for people here (and possibly other friends and such) to play it, if my main audience doesn't seem like they'd enjoy it, then I'm in trouble, yes?

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
the 'touhou' act structure is not a bad idea. if it fits your narrative. Touhou uses its 'six act structure' BECAUSE it fits its game structure. ZUN started with a random number of levels at the start (or however he did it.), and found what works for Touhou. He then stuck STRONGLY to the structure, basing his story's AROUND this with some inspiration from other stories... and well, we got some pretty decent stories so far.  :V

For an RPG, the Traditional three act structure from theater is how they tend to go. Another popular one (Which i think would fit your story better) is follow someone on the heroes journey, and how they handle that journey. (A recent LITERAL example is journey. Give it a try if you want. XD)

Jq1790

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2012, 04:20:07 AM »
Ergh, been busy all over the place lately, but work is still ongoing! 

Thanks to some inspiration from a friend I'll be having Keine's school as a place to learn about enemies in whatever place you'll be going to next.  Are there any other things you'd like me to have her hold classes on or talk about?

Anyway, finally getting close to being done with the village, then the first true dungeon can finally start! 

Please watch warmly~

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »
Maybe she can provide random sidequests like "exterminate all enemies around human village." Speaking of which, when is the story taking place? (I want to see a younger Keine who has just started teaching~~~)

On another note, didn't Youmu and Keine meet for the first time in Imperishable Night?

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 02:08:47 AM »
On another note, didn't Youmu and Keine meet for the first time in Imperishable Night?

I guess so, but perhaps there can be some way of them interacting with each other without them remembering it when Imperishable Night rolls around. (Although, like you said, this depends on the time this game is set in.)

My thoughts:

Keine does not remember Yomou because:
> She does not notice her while she is teaching. 
> "lol, history eating shenanigans"
> It was a long time ago. (Found this while skimming through the timeline on the Wiki, but I'm not sure if it's correct or not.)
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Jq1790

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
UPDATE:  This past week, something rather bad happened...namely my hard drive died.  I have a relatively recent copy of the game on a flash drive, but some progress was lost, so I'll need to re-make it.  Stay tuned for any further updates!  If you have anything you'll want to see, please let me know so I can see about putting it in!

At least this gives me more incentive to re-think the thing with Keine, since that was brought to my attention, haha.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:02 AM »
This past week, something rather bad happened...namely my hard drive died.

Rest in peace...

Jq1790

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »
Luckily I know someone who works on computers who recently got one in so I got a new one, but the old one was totally trashed so there was nothing that could be saved.  Ah well, that's just how it goes, I suppose.  I'm going to try to find time today/night to work on getting back to the point I was at, and figure out exactly what I want to do with the whole Keine thing.

I'm thinking I might lean more towards the idea of Youmu not being noticed, and block the player from entering the classroom itself and she(and whoever's with her at the time, when I add party members) will just happen to overhear stuff.  Thinking of having a few random things during each chapter be talked about so it changes each time you listen in, making it a bit more interesting and encouraging re-visits.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
Ah, like Elder Xelpud in La-Mulana? So you could have one of the kids in the class, or whoever Keine's talking to, make some inane comment that somehow pertains to things, or is a humorous aside.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »
Seems like a good idea. At least I'll be seeing her in the game after all.

Needs a random Tokiko appearance. Or maybe Kosuzu, she's already gotten pretty popular among the Touhou fans I know.

Jq1790

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2012, 03:48:04 AM »
Seems like a good idea. At least I'll be seeing her in the game after all.

Needs a random Tokiko appearance. Or maybe Kosuzu, she's already gotten pretty popular among the Touhou fans I know.
Tokiko maybe, given I'll have to put Kourindou in sometime ANYWAY(and I think she's cute), but Kosuzu...?  Probably not so likely, and definitely not in the first demo.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
Kosusu is a new character from ZUN's new work, Forbidden Scrollery, which was released days ago.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2012, 04:33:55 PM »
She's also human, and born roughly around the same time as Reimu and Marisa apparently. So it's clear that since all this is happening long prior, they won't be a factor.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!