Author Topic: Keine Quest II - Shikigami Trio  (Read 192994 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: Keine Quest II - Shikigami Trio
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
>Smile, and pay up. "That will be all, thank you."
>"Alright everyone, shall we head home?"
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
  • ...is in that post up there?
    • RP Blog for Kaenbyou Rin
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
>Smile, and pay up. "That will be all, thank you."
>"Alright everyone, shall we head home?"

Mokou grins. "Hey, I got a brilliant idea. Let's go fight Okuu again. You can join in this time, Keine!"

Your Shikigami are a bit confused by this - they don't know who "Okuu" is, obviously.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
>Facepalm. "Did you forget? It's not the full moon. Besides, I don't want Shiku getting any ideas now that she's had a few drinks."
>Smile. "Somebody's got to be the voice of reason after all."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
>Facepalm. "Did you forget? It's not the full moon. Besides, I don't want Shiku getting any ideas now that she's had a few drinks."
>Smile. "Somebody's got to be the voice of reason after all."

Mokou grins and starts pulling at you. "Oh don't be such a worrier. You'll be fine! You handled her last time pretty easily, didncha?"

Neneru asks Shiku what an Okuu is, and Shiku responds "I don't know, but Keine doesn't want us to fight her, so don't, okay?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
>Facepalm. "Yes, but you were the one who fought her."
>Look to the others. "Okuu is a nickname for Utsuho Reiuji, the Second Yatagarasu."
>"Okay kids, impromptu history and mythology lesson, starting in Chinese Mythology! The Yatagarasu is a three-legged raven that is representative of the sun. Originally there were ten, And one day they all came out on the same day, causing much pain and suffering. The brave Chinese hero-archer, Houyi, shot them down, but one escaped. That one eventually became Lord Yatagarasu, the Japanese God of Guidance who guided Emperor Jimmu from the region that would eventually be called Kumano, to the land of Yamato, which is present-day Japan. It is this long-dead god that she, as an ordinary hell-raven, consumed. She then transformed from being a humble hell-raven, into the creature of the sun we know today."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
>Facepalm. "Yes, but you were the one who fought her."
>Look to the others. "Okuu is a nickname for Utsuho Reiuji, the Second Yatagarasu."
>"Okay kids, impromptu history and mythology lesson, starting in Chinese Mythology! The Yatagarasu is a three-legged raven that is representative of the sun. Originally there were ten, And one day they all came out on the same day, causing much pain and suffering. The brave Chinese hero-archer, Houyi, shot them down, but one escaped. That one eventually became Lord Yatagarasu, the Japanese God of Guidance who guided Emperor Jimmu from the region that would eventually be called Kumano, to the land of Yamato, which is present-day Japan. It is this long-dead god that she, as an ordinary hell-raven, consumed. She then transformed from being a humble hell-raven, into the creature of the sun we know today."

Neneru, of course, is the first to ask questions. "So she's like a big sun bird lady? Wouldn't that be really scary and strong though? Why would you want to go fight her? And why--" Once again, Shiku gently places her hand over Neneru's mouth. "Sorry about that, Keine-sama," Shiku says, "but that is very interesting. What is Utsuho the person like, though?"

Mokou, fortunately, stops tugging at you, and has apparently given up for now.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
>Nod. "Well, she's rather simple-minded. Though she does have her serious moments, she's easily dissuaded from attacking with clever words. She may be a Sun-Raven, but she's still just a bird."

>Sigh, and facepalm. "Besides, it would be impolite to bring a drunk person along...."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2012, 12:18:41 AM »
>Nod. "Well, she's rather simple-minded. Though she does have her serious moments, she's easily dissuaded from attacking with clever words. She may be a Sun-Raven, but she's still just a bird."

>Sigh, and facepalm. "Besides, it would be impolite to bring a drunk person along...."

Mokou sighs. "Ya never let me have any fun, Keine..." Meanwhile, Kaki has begin tugging on your sleeve again. She gives you a hopeful expression as she says, "the library?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2012, 01:57:46 AM »
>Sigh. "I am just trying to be polite."
>Look to Kaki with a nod and a smile. "Of course."
>Let's make for the Library!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »
>Sigh. "I am just trying to be polite."
>Look to Kaki with a nod and a smile. "Of course."
>Let's make for the Library!

The five of you, having paid your bill, head off to Library Tower. It looks as dark and foreboding as it did before, and Neneru shrinks a bit at the sight of it. Kaki, on the other hand, has heard of this place before, and rushes right in before you can say anything. Shiku laughs a bit.

"She's always like this about books. Hell, when we were... borrowing from Marisa, she wanted to take a book. Not anything shiny or anything, but the book."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:24 AM »
>Chuckle. "In here you'll find all the lore the Ancient City has to offer, even from before the 5th Century. You remember that woman from before? The antisocial one? She once ruled this place during the 5th Century. But a civil war drove her out, and bound her to that bridge. It was here that I found that information."
>Look to Neneru. "Don't worry, it's quite safe, despite appearances. It's just rather dusty."
>Let's head in!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2012, 04:38:35 AM »
>Chuckle. "In here you'll find all the lore the Ancient City has to offer, even from before the 5th Century. You remember that woman from before? The antisocial one? She once ruled this place during the 5th Century. But a civil war drove her out, and bound her to that bridge. It was here that I found that information."
>Look to Neneru. "Don't worry, it's quite safe, despite appearances. It's just rather dusty."
>Let's head in!

Neneru nods, but sticks very close to you nonetheless. As you head inside, it looks just the same as always. Kaki's already a little ways away, walking along and staring at the books, almost looking like she's searching for a particular one. Mokou just flops on the nearest desk, grinning like she always does and shooting at a few lanterns to light them up. Shiku steps inside just behind you, looking around.

"Geez... what do you think's bigger, this library or Patchouli's?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »
>Thoughtful expression. "That is a difficult thing to say really. both hold different things."
>Head over to Kaki. "Looking for something in particular?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
>Thoughtful expression. "That is a difficult thing to say really. both hold different things."
>Head over to Kaki. "Looking for something in particular?"

Kaki shrugs, but doesn't stop moving - although she does slow down somewhat. "I'm not sure yet... right now, anything that catches my eye. But there might be something I'm looking for without knowing it... it's happened before." Shiku has wandered off herself, checking the shelves for anything interesting. Neneru's still sticking close by to you.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
>"Well, let me know when you find it, alright? You can never be too careful here, the Oni hardly ever use this place, so we have to watch out for possibly trapped books."
>Look to Neneru with a smile. "Now, why don't we find some books for you to read? Perhaps ones on Ninjas?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
>"Well, let me know when you find it, alright? You can never be too careful here, the Oni hardly ever use this place, so we have to watch out for possibly trapped books."
>Look to Neneru with a smile. "Now, why don't we find some books for you to read? Perhaps ones on Ninjas?"

Neneru looks down, avoiding your gaze. "Well... I mean, that would be nice, but uh... um..."

Shiku looks up from where she's thumbing through a book and sighs. "She can't read, Keine. At least not very well. Both myself and Kaki have tried to teach her, but it never seems to stick. That's why she was getting Kaki's help with the menu at dinner, remember?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
>Nod with a warm smile. "I see. Perhaps it will stick this time."
>"Now, I'll read it to you if we find it, okay?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
>Nod with a warm smile. "I see. Perhaps it will stick this time."
>"Now, I'll read it to you if we find it, okay?"

Neneru wraps her arms around you, still avoiding your gaze. Seems like she's pretty ashamed of this fact. At least she nods in recognition. Shiku grins at the sight before going back to her book. If you choose to read to her, you have several options available (you DID say pertaining to the ninja?):

The Art of Ninjutsu
The Many Tales of Hattori Hanzo
The Ninja Spider of the Earth
How to Train a Nekomata (Not ninja-related, but you may find it useful)
Yakumo Yukari, Shinobi

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
>Raise an eyebrow at the last one. "Well, this is interesting, I never thought that Yukari was a Ninja as well. But then again, she uses Kunai-type Danmaku, so it should have been expected."
>Look to Neneru. "So, pick one of them you want me to read to you first. All of them are on ninja except for one, but it might have useful things for the both of us."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
>Raise an eyebrow at the last one. "Well, this is interesting, I never thought that Yukari was a Ninja as well. But then again, she uses Kunai-type Danmaku, so it should have been expected."
>Look to Neneru. "So, pick one of them you want me to read to you first. All of them are on ninja except for one, but it might have useful things for the both of us."

Neneru thinks for a moment before - finally - returning your gaze. "Can we read the earth spider one? That sounds really cool!" Unfortunately, you don't see a comfortable place for two to read nearby, but you may be able to improvise something.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
>Nod. "Alright, could you help me get a spot ready for us to sit and read then?"
>Let's look around for possible locations that can be cleared out to be a passable seating area.
>Failing that, we should check the other floors. It is a tower after all.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
>Nod. "Alright, could you help me get a spot ready for us to sit and read then?"

Neneru nods vigorously. "Okay! Let's see..."

>Let's look around for possible locations that can be cleared out to be a passable seating area.

Unfortunately, as you and Neneru look around, all you see are bookshelves upon bookshelves with the occasional desk. It really does look like there's not a single good reading area on this floor...

>Failing that, we should check the other floors. It is a tower after all.

So you get the idea to check the second floor. With Neneru roughly trailing along, you find a staircase which, while creaky, safely takes you up to the second floor. Here, you find that while the walls are still lined with books, the middle of the room has been decorated with, you'd guess, over a score of recliners and other such padded chairs. Definitely what you were looking for.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
>Smile. "Well, this looks perfect, shall we dust a chair off and sit down? You can sit on my lap."
>Let's pick the cushiest chair, and get it cleaned up!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
>Smile. "Well, this looks perfect, shall we dust a chair off and sit down? You can sit on my lap."
>Let's pick the cushiest chair, and get it cleaned up!

You pick the biggest, softest-looking chair in the room and dust if off with Neneru's help. It doesn't take two long with two people, and you're rewarded by sitting down into what is likely the most comfortable chair you've ever sat down in. Neneru jumps on your lap and snuggles up against your side as you set the book in front of the pair of you.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2012, 02:18:20 PM »
>Let's crack open the book and start reading it to her!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »
>Let's crack open the book and start reading it to her!

You crack open the book.

(I hope you don't mind if I just provide a description of the book instead of actually writing out a book.)

The tale itself looks to be fiction, although in Gensokyo you never really can tell. It's a story about a young earth spider youkai who is left alone at an early age like normal. Somewhat less prepared than most, she is brutally attacked by humans and left to die in front of a young warrior monk's house. Unbeknownst to the world, said monk is actually a ninja, and trains the earth spider, whom he names Arimi, in a secret room in his house. Given her natural talents, she excels at ninjutsu, and he soon has her taking missions right alongside him. After a while, she even starts taking her own missions. As will inevitably happen in any story, she eventually receives a fateful mission while her master and partner is out on his own: kill her master. At first she accepts this as a necessary consequence of the ninja way, but doubt continually creeps through her even as she chases after him, knowing of course where he will be. The two meet and she initially goes on the attack, which surprises her master. Due to her unique talents, she manages to defeat him, but stops short of landing the killing blow. She just can't do it. Telling her master that she's failed him, he tells her that instead she grasped the greatest point of all: sometimes even the ninja way must be abandoned. The book ends with the two of them "dying in battle", actually disappearing to a different region of Japan where they pose as humble merchants, and they marry and live happily for a long time.

By the end of the book, you can actually feel yourself growing a bit tired. Neneru is still snuggled happily in your lap, entranced by the book. "That was really great..."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
>Let's at least try to keep awake for now. But for now, let's nudge her to wake her up a bit. "It was rather nice, wasn't it? I wonder if they would let us borrow the other ones? Come on, up you go."
>We'll have to find Yuugi and ask about that.
>Smile a little. Neneru sure does like tales of Ninjas, doesn't she?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
>Let's at least try to keep awake for now. But for now, let's nudge her to wake her up a bit. "It was rather nice, wasn't it? I wonder if they would let us borrow the other ones? Come on, up you go."

Neneru jumps out of your lap, spinning a little as she lands. She's got an even happier smile than usual on her face. "I liked it! We really should take the other ones! Um... who do we ask for that? Isn't the building empty?"

>We'll have to find Yuugi and ask about that.

You decide to ask Yuugi, but that's probably not necessary. She herself said that no one really goes in the Library Tower anymore - it's an abandoned building for the last 500 years. It's highly unlikely that anyone would notice or care if a few books were taken.

>Smile a little. Neneru sure does like tales of Ninjas, doesn't she?

It sure does seem that way, you decide as you smile back at her.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »
>Nod. "Alright, we'll borrow this, and the others then. We'll have to remember to return them later on though, just to be polite. Shall we go see if Kaki has found what she was after?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

IdiotsOpposite

• What the hell...
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
>Nod. "Alright, we'll borrow this, and the others then. We'll have to remember to return them later on though, just to be polite. Shall we go see if Kaki has found what she was after?"

Neneru gives an excited squeal at this news. From another chair, you detect movement - apparently Kaki managed to get into the second floor without you noticing. She's holding a rather large and thick book with some spidery writing on it. All in all, an odd choice for a very young youkai. She walks over to you and holds it up while talking so you can see the title. "I knew what I was looking for when I found it. Will you mind if I take this, Keine-sama?"

The book in question is "The Basics of Magic for Those with Natural Ability".