Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 2 (Please look here before anywhere else)  (Read 174288 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Created by Emarrel, I remember first seeing it on Pooshlmer in 2008, but it might be older than that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

While I can't vouch exactly for Emarrel's motive behind starting it, the primitive hitbox patch I made earlier was probably the clinching factor, since the method I (ab)used opened the path for him to replace all of the graphics. It was released late 2008, and him and I had some back-and-forths on how it's done. He went forward with the whole revamp shortly thereafter. At the time though, there weren't Touhou archive tools available whatsoever, so we used this roundabout method where we'd use the english patch's functionality to replace the images.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

And create a festive Christmas patch!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
The only recording of Submarine Illusion (Kasumi's theme from Marine Benefit) I can find on Youtube is a little different from the ingame theme. Any way to get the actual, ingame theme?

never mind, I found it here if anyone else happens to wonder the same thing sometime.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:37:49 AM by Seiga Kaku »
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Cystral Dragon

• [Prince of Nothing]
  • Hey you noticed me!
Just asking around here, any language experts around here? There's a song I'm pretty sure isn't Japanese but a couple of friends insist it is so. It sounds too Western to me.

The song in question is
Ⅰ Refrain of memory by Secret Messenger and it is a remix of the UFO Stage 5 Theme.
Well I should've made it Prince of Void.

Drake

It's latin. "estia", "sortia", "bore", "mente", etc. The album is rearrangement of Touhou music done to the style of Madoka Magica, which has latin lyrics.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
One of Yakumo Yukari's skillcard in th105 and th123 is named 至る所に青山あり.
Very roughly translates to 'A green mountain exists at the place *null-subject* arrives' or something like that.
From what I can find, it is part of a poem written by 月性 when he left his hometown to study,
Something about his determination to not return until he fulfills his dreams, and there are plenty of mountains to be buried wherever he goes.

The question is, why is it translated to 'Bound to the Grave'?
Actually, I can't even figure out what 'Bound to the Grave' is supposed to mean.
Signature

The full quote here is「人間到る処青山有り」,  which indeed comes from that 月性 guy. I suppose it would be translated as "Throughout the world there exist green hills"?the implication is it doesn't matter where you go, because there are green hills everywhere to be buried in. Of course, it seems you already gathered that much.

The partial phrase 「至る所に青山あり」 removes the "world" aspect of it, though it would still be something like "There exist graves everywhere". The initial translation appears to have been "Bound for the Graves", and I suspect the translator looked at 至る (いたる) "to reach, to arrive, etc." and 所 (ところ) "place, location" separately instead of seeing 至る所 (いたるところ) "everywhere, all over, throughout". Combining that with 青山 (せいざん) which can be translated as "grave, burial place", you can see how the translator came up with "Bound for the Graves", where "bound" is along the lines of "headed for, destined for". This translation, "Bound for the Graves", seems to have been misinterpreted into becoming "Bound to the Grave", likely because the second person believed "bound" was the past tense of "bind". And that's where we are now.

I'm not really sure how the name corresponds to the skill itself, but that's not that important.

After playing Defiant of Shrine Maiden I noticed that Koakuma appears with short hair and then later with long hair. Short hair Koakuma is referred to as Koakuma A and Long hair Koakuma is referred to as Koakuma B (I have also seen this in some fanworks.) Does anyone know where this originated or what it's about.

Basically, there's no official art of Koakuma and her sprite is just vague, so "short hair" versus "long  hair" is two different interpretations, which for some reason some people decided should mean that there's two different individuals.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
EoSD replay saving for practice mode. Does a patch exist?
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
Does this confirm ZUN releasing something official at this year's Comiket?
http://www.pooshlmer.com/wakaba/res/534922.html

Thanks in advance!

Drake

It means he's probably registering, but whether that means selling something new or not, you can't really say. His twitter will explode if something happens, and his main blog site will update if he's releasing something new, usually about two weeks before the event.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
If I move up in direction of the enemy shooting does this make more damage or is just my impression?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Actually, it does. As more shots are hitting the enemy at a much faster rate.
It's called Shotgunning. It's at it's best when you can slip right in front of a boss.

Take the infamous 'Icicle Fall ~Easy~'. The safespot there is a prime example of Shotgunning.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Drake

That might be a bit misleading. Shotgunning is sitting in front of the boss so more of your shots will hit the boss, but only because usually your shots are spread in a fan. If you take say ReimuA in SA, there is no shotgunning because her shots don't hit any more often no matter how close you are to the boss.
Moving upwards while shooting is something different; you get the same amount of shots hitting, but just at a faster rate. However, this is almost completely pointless because at some point you'll probably have to move back down.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
Well, I'm only a novice at the terminology, so I just refer to getting closer to the boss to improve damage, 'Shotgunning'.
(Y'do have to move closer to improve a shotgun's damage potential after all, even the ones that don't have as much spread.)

On-topic, why do people like that thing about Koishi? Y'know, Heartthrobbing Adventure.
Really, I can't see why people like something like that, unless they like the really grimdark stuff. (Or as I and some others call it, 'Grimderp'.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:52:24 AM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aqYsKZ-lxg&feature=fvwrel
Is this one the "Koishi's Heartthrobbing Adventure"? I only saw the start, I was giving up to see the rest but then a story started, after I'll see all of it and give my feed back :P

That might be a bit misleading. Shotgunning is sitting in front of the boss so more of your shots will hit the boss, but only because usually your shots are spread in a fan. If you take say ReimuA in SA, there is no shotgunning because her shots don't hit any more often no matter how close you are to the boss.
Moving upwards while shooting is something different; you get the same amount of shots hitting, but just at a faster rate. However, this is almost completely pointless because at some point you'll probably have to move back down.
Well some spell you could avoid it moving up, so you can use this faster rate to increase the damage, maybe for example Chen's Blue Oni Red Oni or that spells of Youmu with bullet time.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
...Yep, that's the one.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Drake

No character can beat Blue Oni Red Oni in one pass so you're still going to have to move back down, or attempt to rush back down through the bullets so you can move back up. In general, the damage from shotgunning would usually outweigh the damage from increased hit rate, especially since you can spend more time shotgunning than you can take moving upwards, and I wouldn't suggest consciously attempting to move upwards while shooting unless you were already planning on being up there afterwards or something.

Sanger Zonvolt

• Sword That Cleaves Evil
Anyone have a Zun style Rinnosuke picture?

Waga Zankantou ni tatenu mono nashi!

game2011

• magneiptVE
To my knowledge, no such thing exists.

Tengukami

Pretty sure if you search the Morichika_Rinnosuke tag on Danbooru you'll be able to find some.

Does anyone know what this says?

UTW

Pretty sure if you search the Morichika_Rinnosuke tag on Danbooru you'll be able to find some.

Try narrowing it down with oota_jun'ya_(style), although there's only one Rinnosuke picture there.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?

Does anyone know what this says?
You are asking about the backstory for Touhou Pocket War 2. (The game developer being Taiwanese, their Japanese is pretty bad, not that their Chinese is any good...)

In short, for some reason or another, the residents of Gensokyo has abandoned spell card battles and replaced it with figurine battles.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

game2011

• magneiptVE
Try narrowing it down with oota_jun'ya_(style), although there's only one Rinnosuke picture there.
Thought he meant official artwork done by ZUN, which doesn't exist.

Sanger Zonvolt

• Sword That Cleaves Evil
No results.

Thought he meant official artwork done by ZUN, which doesn't exist.
I'm just looking for any, be it Zun or Zun imitator.

Waga Zankantou ni tatenu mono nashi!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
How good of a fangame name is Touhou Hikari Shinsei or whatev (東方光神聖)
I not apt at Japanese quite yet so I can't come up with anything :V

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
not sure where to post this, so I'll just do it here :v

anyone else having an issue with downloading repays from gensokyo.org? everytime I try to download a replay there, my firefox opens a white window with random glibberish. welp.