Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 9F  (Read 245415 times)

Rukoto

• "Ordinary" Magician
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 9F
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54:17 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned ***WINNER*** for hardest boss given how much you have to grind for him :V
Him aside, I distinctly remember being troubled with Baal Avatar, and I remember Yukari being a big hassle for me as well.

That said, I finally beat Great Stamp at Mino 70. I'm tempted to rank this guy as 3rd hardest boss for me at the moment.

EDIT: I beat up Orin now. Rinnousuke was unfortunately not protected against SIL (likewise Cirno) and Sanae died early, so he didn't get to do anything. Ran also was low on SP for most of the fight, since I used her to help clear out the prior knights. Kudos to Tenshi and Remi for being awesome tanks, as well as Kanako and Maribel for dealing the bulk of the damage. Mino kept the team alive as per usual.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:52:50 AM by Rukoto »

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that nobody mentioned ***WINNER*** for hardest boss given how much you have to grind for him :V

Yeah, that's why I don't count him :V He isn't hard because he has good skills and a puzzle-like attacking pattern, but because you gotta grind like fuck to survive for a round. It's boring, it's plain, and he's the only boss I had no intention on fighting seriously >_> (But I totally used cheat engine on Rinnosuke to hit so hard, the damage became negative.)

Pandaology

• Does Laziness counts as a form of Writer's block?
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
I would actually have to say my hardest boss was Yuyuko cause I kept walking into her unprepared and would loose and entire floor of grinding  :(
In terms of difficulty though it would have to be Eintei cause its just luck to a certain degree, most of the other bosses were strategy or praying they would die before me (even those that are sorta luck, Cough cough, Rinnosuke)

« Reply #213 on: January 28, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
Well it varies with party so I will just say the toughest bosses I had for the draft run.

1. Alice: Alot of status effects during a phase with little to no status resist gear and no means of removing the effects. Running out of SP was another issue.

2. Rinnosuke: World Shaking Military Rule, World Shaking Military Rule, World Shaking Military Rule, World Shaking Military Rule, World Shaking Military Rule, World Shaking Military Rule, ...

3. Nitori: Very fast Multitarget Physical Attacks.

For those who care, here is another batch of videos. I upped the amount I upload on Sundays to five videos to get through them a bit faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASEnCd1hyro (Reisen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KJi4p_ntU (Tenshi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7tZ-pgu6M (Sanae's Foe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVxvDlRbhOg (Eientei)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcfujqDhdU (Evil Forge)

Enjoy!

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
Toiling around, still without drafts, still without actually knowing what's ahead of me. It's taking me a lot of willpower to not read this thread ungh

Since last time I:
-Figured out a bunch of codes on 13F. There's probably a lot of valuable treasure in there that requires this or that number but I got a bit tired after twelve or so goes. Did find another of those Lion King's Souls though
-Explored F14 fully. Found Suika and recruited her. Found Yuyuko, which wiped the floor with me. Also found a random boss called "Evil Forge", which I wiped the floor with in turn. Finally, found a weird recolored siamese of Alice's dolls called Triomagen. It wasn't pretty.
-Explored most of F15(curse the blackenmels). Found another random boss, looked like Ifrit, but it was stunlocked to death without difficulty. Also some crazy mecha golem version of Pressure, Great Stamp. It wiped out the entire party at once with some "Earthquake" move on its first turn, so I guess that's for later...
-Entered F16, but haven't done anything much there so far.
-Together with that, I went back to Kaguya for her joining event, which appears to be a battle with Mokou. I've figured out that I'm not supposed to debuff her, like the Eientei trio, but at some point she casts "Resurrection", which is invariably followed by using some nuke which kills everything dead.  :D

So I guess the next objective is to beat up all those bosses. Hard work.

« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:53 AM »
3peso's blog updated with some more screenshots. Judging by the character levels, I'm assuming that Rinnosuke is a starting character. Momiji might be too, or maybe a first level boss.

http://i.imgur.com/fJtoc2c.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the rest of the blog post is unrelated to labyrinth of touhou.

Rukoto

• "Ordinary" Magician
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »
Toiling around, still without drafts, still without actually knowing what's ahead of me. It's taking me a lot of willpower to not read this thread ungh

So I guess the next objective is to beat up all those bosses. Hard work.
Wow, I can't imagine how it feels like playing this game blind :V

3peso's blog updated with some more screenshots. Judging by the character levels, I'm assuming that Rinnosuke is a starting character. Momiji might be too, or maybe a first level boss.

I'm pretty sure that the rest of the blog post is unrelated to labyrinth of touhou.
Artwork's looking a lot prettier. The early Momiji / Rinnousuke is an interesting coincidence as well.

On the topic of my play through, I've explored a bit more of 16F, and handily beat up Kaguya's Foe, around half of my character's didn't even see action, Kanako basically covered most of the damage. I also kind of struggled past Flandre, mostly due to hax like 4th slot Starbow, hunting Tenshi with Slash Dive, etc. Again, Kanako did the bulk of the damage, with Maribel supplementing most of what was left to deal as well as dealing the finishing blow. Kaggy's Foe beat at Mino 74 and Flan down at Mino 75.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:14 AM »
Oh god so hype for ThLaby2 aaaaaa
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2013, 02:25:02 AM »
Hes making another touhou game!? Oh mah gawd! Im still dying to try that non touhou errant knights or whatever it was called.
Hardest bosses? Tough to say since the results were quite diff each playthru. Cootiesuke however was quite easy for me every time though =p.

Everything on floor 30 is also just too hard to judge since you dont really know what is level appropriate, and what isnt, so ill leave em out.

My first playthru, the hardest boss bar none was
1: baal avatar. Bear in mind nobody knew he gained power with each demon slashin dance back then though.
2: yukari, she is a whole diff ball game if you don know how her phases+djinn storms work.
3: umm... Cosmic? I neve bothered with debuffs by this point in the game since every time i tried them they NEVER worked.

If i tried to average out the difficulty of each boss on future playthrus, its kinda hard to say.
1: baal avatar, hes easier now but he still poops on my defensive buids/strategies..
2: eiki, i refuse to use komachi for one fight and mo matter how much i focus on china's hp and give her super muscle wtf they called, she still gets 1shot... So this fight is more like another dps race before things turn into chaos.
3: i forget, maybe egloboloblobbablobababoblas? Every time i look at its stats and movesets i think its just another chumpy seal boss, but last couple times i remeber it putting ip quite a figh anyway.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:42 AM »

That looks amazing so far! Excitement~!  :getdown:
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »

I-It's... BEEYOOTEEFOOL.

This game, I shall marry it when it'll be released.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
It could be NG+, in fact, seeing Marisa[?] hitting those Kedamas for 8888 damage at Lv 1...

Is that Keine as the 4th character? Can't tell, no hat  :V [It is, when I found the image again]

Also: Form Change? I guess that's just swapping with the backline, but weird choice of words.

Didn't think Momiji was confirmed by the earlier image. Cool. Although that gives me the feeling no Youmu. They kinda do the same thing. [EDIT: Found the image, Momiji was there]

Newcomers are gonna be like 'WTH is Rinno so strongk?'

Also, Rinno has 16 TP. He got 8 times more durable!

Wonder how many other characters from the later set of games will be in this [MoF->]. We know Parsee's in.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:09:03 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
Youmu is popular so she very well may still be in. Her and Momiji's only similarities are just kind of "attacks with a sword", so, I don't think that sets her out. But hey, we'll see!
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »
Momiji also canonically has a Shield, so I think we'll either see a Cover mechanic, or a self-targeted DEF buff. At best, a party-wide one.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »
I uhh, notice that those mobs are all being hit by 8888...Either the spell is like dat blowfish move in ff where it always does 1000 (only 8888), or this game got rid of the random + or - 10% thing...Which I kinda like, though admittedly that wouldn't be a very important change.

It occured to me last night though that I'm a bit nervous about the music. Touhou labyrinth had super amazing wtf great music. But I did NOT like the "touhou" replacement tracks found on the special disk. So I'm not sure if I want this new one to feature Touhou music, or have the dev's own stuff. I love a good Touhou remix, but not if they're less awsome as was the case in the first laby. But possibly he'll make it as awsome AND touhou mixes!!! I can't handle the suspense, someone hold me! *cries*.

« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »
I uhh, notice that those mobs are all being hit by 8888...Either the spell is like dat blowfish move in ff where it always does 1000 (only 8888), or this game got rid of the random + or - 10% thing...Which I kinda like, though admittedly that wouldn't be a very important change.

It occured to me last night though that I'm a bit nervous about the music. Touhou labyrinth had super amazing wtf great music. But I did NOT like the "touhou" replacement tracks found on the special disk. So I'm not sure if I want this new one to feature Touhou music, or have the dev's own stuff. I love a good Touhou remix, but not if they're less awsome as was the case in the first laby. But possibly he'll make it as awsome AND touhou mixes!!! I can't handle the suspense, someone hold me! *cries*.
I think a more likely explanation of the 8888 damage is that he hasn't actually implemented Marisa's damage formulas yet, and she just automatically does 8888 damage.

Also, the original music used in Touhou Labyrinth was just free music he picked up off the internet. Even Rinnosuke's theme. I believe that's why it was used in cosmic break as well. The Special Disk music, however, I believe was specifically made for thLabyrinth. So I'd say it's most likely that the same people will be doing all the music for thLaby2.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:35 AM »
I know some of the music in the original laby was free music (for example I recognize some early boss music like Youmu's as the same stuff found in Hollow world of god) but all of it? really? even Maribel's theme? wuuut.

I really like alot of the stage exploration songs too, speaking of which, some of them did sound suspiciously touhou-esque to begin with (like the first teleport floor).

About the damage formulas not implimented yet, I was kinda thinking they'd just be unfinished though I can't for the life of me figure out why I forgot to mention that too. Personally though I'm hoping + or - 10% got dumped, but I wont be disappointed if it isn't, it's really not a big deal.

One thing I'd love to see is hit% and evasion to become factors, and I don't mean in this stupid 100% hit, 100% miss thing. But more like, you use a spell, and it hits 20 times, so it rolls hit or miss 20 times and adds them up. This way the damage is still REASONABLY consistant, but yet hit/miss would become important (I prefer this kind of variation over a flat no-reason +- 10%...because this way you can gear/spec for it if you like).

I think that's one of the reasons why he dumped evasion in the first game, because fact is 100% hit or miss ratios are just dumb in rpgs, you need to soften the effects somehow, but still make them very important. Another solution is making hit-evasion manipulate a miss->barely hit->minor hit->hit->good hit->Critical hit->zomgwtfpwnt formula.

So yeah, what exactly do you guys want change between THLaby 1 and 2?
-My biggest want is hit/evasion to be in, but softened/extened into more than just hit and miss.

-Naturally, having as much (all) of the cast as possible would also be a big plus, playable of course =P.

-Oh, and I'd LOOOVE it if it had a sengoku-rance style newgame+ system where you get a score at the end of the game. Beat it in less moves (lower level I guess?), get certain optionals, etc, get a higher score. The higher your score, the more NG+ bonuses you can unlock, giving you an advantage for your next playthru, where you should get a higher score and and... you get the picture.

Pandaology

« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »
No Iron maze, nuff said,

On the positive side though, it would have to be more bosses, cause roaming the floors was fun, but the best part of the game was the really tense boss fights.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
I personally hope there won't be any EVA/HIT thing going on in there. Luck-based things such as this makes the battles way more randomly easy/hard, and kinda takes away the feeling I had when playing LoT and beating a boss; "Wow, I actually beat that with strategy and grinding... *weeps a tear of join*" Aside from that, the animations and character's avatars look fantastic. I still kinda hope we'll be able to replace them like the first game, I thought it was genius.

No Iron maze, nuff said,

A part of me wants to scream yes so loud it'll make everyone's ears bleed, but another part of me was sooo satisfied when finishing the damn thing that I can't help but WANT hard as hell floors and rage-inducing mazes.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Well hit/miss formulas dont really demand luck when the effects are softer like i said but i can respect that others wouldnt like it anyway.

About iron maze, i rather liked it. But that reminds me of the floor i didnt like: dat damn fake binary floor with addresses which dont even make any damn sense. Its definately a "mist use guide" floor if you wanna 100% it, the clues just werent enough even after you know exactly how it works. Unless you tried all 128 addresses manually, which would be stupid and boring.

A minor gripe too. More bosses would be welcome but i think its safe to say more everything is good. That reminds me though that it would be nice to not have to take 1 step at a time for first timers to avoid bumping into a boss you arent prepared for. I mean dying cuz of a strategic mistake is one thing, but dying and having to reset because you like to move faster than a snail in a straigh corridor? Bleh.

I hope the buff system stays, thlaby has the best rpg buff system ive ever seen imo.
I think some more unique spells like sword of rapture, yuyu's meter chowing moves, etc would be nice too.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
Yeah, I guess softening it would make it work better. I usually have terrible, terrible luck with anything that isn't a 100% chance of x.

Don't get me started on the binary floor. Giving better explanations would've made it less of a "Yeah, just use a guide" thing, and it felt like a mindless switch-on-and-off chore.

I died and ragequitted so many times because I ran into a boss I REALLY wasn't prepared for that I started to get paranoid, and it kinda became part of the game experience. Still, I think bosses should be seen from at least two tiles away instead of one. Keeps the paranoia feeling of bumping into a boss, but isn't as ''OOPS, SUDDENLY, DEATH''.

I agree the buff/debuff system was fantastic. Absolutely adored it.

And finally, 100 % with you there; more special things would be nice. Maybe not TOO much, as the game had a certain charm with its simplicity.

Pandaology

« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
Eh, my biggest gripe with the Iron maze was even once you had figured it out, you had to tramp everywhere, so many unnecessary battles.
The Binnary floor was cool but annoying. I would definitely say there should have been a better hint towards the theme, I would laugh if they had explained it in the opening conversation.

I half want a 40 floor game or something like that, but it would just be so much Stuff. Good stuff but just too much stuff, I've already spent a good 80 hours in this game. I think 160 hours would just suck, and the worst bit is I know I would do it.  :derp:

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
What I'd like from LoT2, aside from my favourite characters being playable, is a dungeon editor.  It would be amazing to create and edit your own maps, events and encounters and export them to other players. But I don't think it'll happen. It'd probably be really ridiculous to program such a function (we're still talking about a Doujin developer here).

As for more realistic demands, it'd be nice if the game felt more complete in it's earliest incarnation.  NG+, the selling of excess equipment, the ability to force random encounters, just all that stuff that 2.06 or Special Disk brought with. They've done it before, so there's no reason not to implement such neat, sometimes convenient additions from the start.

I'm another person of the tiny minority that really enjoyed the iron maze. 10F-12F feels more end-gamey than anything else in the game. Floors like that need to be in it!

Don't get me started on the binary floor. Giving better explanations would've made it less of a "Yeah, just use a guide" thing, and it felt like a mindless switch-on-and-off chore.

I say no to that as well! And 17F maybe. There's no reason to make a floor confusing for the sake of confusion, but have it completely barren to make it ultimately unrewarding. As much as 7F is a shocker for being so early in the game, it does it right.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:21:05 AM by Gesh86 »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
hmm, map editor, that WOULD be sexy woudln't it?
I never actually made a real game...just a sad boring porfolio demonstration that I really don't want to talk about. But I do know some programming, and tbh, I don't think making a map editor would actually be very hard. IMO the hardest part of programming games was really just the whole interface with the operating system/Direct3d thing. Believe it or not but DirectSound was obscenely more complicated than 3d modeling and such (though that was also a bigger pain than gameplay-oriented stuff, which isn't really an issue for most doujin games anyway).

But yeah, I forget most of the DirectSound stuff that I learned, but it was a nightmare, a map editor? I think I could have done that relatively easily.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »
So, I went back to playing Labyrinth of Touhou, braved the horror that was Floor 15 (I honestly don't like it when it forces you to waste TP and SP just GETTING to the boss), and had a very close fight with the Hill Gigas. It killed Suwako first turn, which nulled all PAR options except for Reimu, and then barely managed to finish it off. I made a mad dash with the remainder of my party to the Floor 16 relay, went back to Gensokyo to heal, returned to Floor 16, and then got wiped by Gold Sorceresses.
Did I mention I forgot to save after doing all that?

:colonveeplusalpha:
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:16 AM »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #236 on: January 31, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »
There is a Perfectly concise and eloquent way to convey my reaction to hearing that story:
"owned"

Lol sorry it had to be said.

I havent been keeping up to date with these boards for awhile, has there been any new developments on modding the game?

koakoa

• Little Demoness
  • A lonely little assistant traversing this realm
« Reply #237 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:53 AM »
I'm personally hoping for a more difficult version of the Iron Maze in LoT2.

Huge fan of what it was, but would love to get even more out of it.
(◕‿◕✿)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #238 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:21 AM »
Imo the battle music change in the middle really makes the diff. If they have a bigger harder one, a mid-maze musi change should be done again.

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:46 AM »
I actually liked the Iron Maze section, especially the second half (the part that requires you to turn all three switches on to get to).

7F and 17F are fine in theory, but in practice, they're not so good. I have no problem with teleport mazes, as long as the game provides some way to keep track of which teleport leads where. After I use a teleported, there should be something on the map to indicate where it leads (labeling, color-coding, whatever).

13F I didn't really like, either, simply because you're going at the 'puzzle' pretty much blind, with very little idea of what total value you're aiming for (in contrast with the Iron Maze, where you know as soon as you un into a switch door which switch controls it and which position it needs to be in). Yeah, there are some hints scattered around, but most of them are pretty damn vague, and all of them require the same blindly stumbling around to even find.

That being said, though, if you want to see really bad dungeon floors, look at 26F and 28F of the first Etrian Odyssey. 26F is almost entirely pitfall traps that dump you into 27F in an area where you can't go down further; you have to go back up to 26F and start again, as only by finding the one right path can you actually move on. Oh, and did I mention that unlike earlier pitfall traps, these ones have no visual clues (previous pitfall tiles are off-color), so the only way to find one is by stepping on it? So yeah, it's basically the trial-and-error from hell. And then 28F is the teleport maze from hell. The game does let you label tiles, so you can mark where teleports go, but guess what? There are like four times more teleports than the max number of notes you can place, and that's WAY the hell more teleports than LoT's two teleport mazes put together. And they're often one-way. Oh, and did I mention that even if you try every single one, you STILL can't move on, because they threw in fake walls just to be extra-dickish?

So yeah.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:53:46 AM by GuyYouMetOnline »