Author Topic: [WC3 - Dots] General discussion thread II  (Read 212926 times)

Re: [WC3 - Dots] General discussion thread II
« Reply #390 on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
Heads up about the weather: I played a few games on Garena before with weather on when I first started (before playing more games here) - one common strat if you can figure out when your opponents are going to use weather is to deny them its use by using it first. The cooldown affects both teams. /uselesstip

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:49:09 AM by ApharmdB »

Teetoku

• You should...
  • Take it easy.
« Reply #391 on: June 19, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
Every time I pick Tenshi... Something Bad Happens.

That's the fifth time in a row <_< Hero999 DC 3 times, Me once & now Amra

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #392 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
Would like to say that please decide on weather you are using whether before the game starts or while picking.  Many people appear to have computers made out of rocks and modems made out of smaller piles of rocks, and the effects tends to lag them horribly.

CloverNaght

• Gotta hide in teh box..
  • FOEs r scareh
« Reply #393 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
Would like to say that please decide on weather you are using whether before the game starts or while picking.  Many people appear to have computers made out of rocks and modems made out of smaller piles of rocks, and the effects tends to lag them horribly.
i lol'ed but thats kinda mean
well ppl start using weather btw lets see if the game become more stupid than before or not
Behold the power of love instagibbing, ze!!~

« Reply #394 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »

I DONT LAGGG!!

i just dc  :V

« Reply #395 on: June 20, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »
My next computer casing will be hewn from a block of granite. Just so that I can have an actual computer made out of a rock. :V

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #396 on: June 20, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »
Weather system is terrible designed and does actually improve gameplay but only worsen it. Before all of you start throwing in arguments, the following is logically subjective opinions.

Drizzle - probably the most useful weather which has no terrible effect on the game. No unbalancing or no fucking ups for gameplay.
Scarlet Mist - is pretty much ignorable. LS? It might perhaps stall creep laning bit more but it will do nothing amazing.
River Mist - when you want to go Metal Gear solid 2, this is your weather. Though everybody starts behaving different when this weather is on. And only 40 seconds.
East Asian Rain - This weather halves creeps HP to 50% for sure, it is pretty good counter to stall stuff. Probably 2nd useful weather in this game.
Springe Haze - GOOD THING DEVS LET THE BUILDINGS GAIN ARMOUR AS WELL. Before, they didn't which made this weather fucking retarted because Youmu or other fast AGI could tear down towers/rax and you could do NOTHING about it. Now it is good for stalling. But.... Patchouli, Marisa and other spell users will benefit from this weather most as the armour is like Reimu's border, physical blocking. So yea good luck trying to harm them while their magic attacks dmg the shit out of you.
Typhoon - ...35% dmg?. Do I need to say more?
Snow - you will think this weather is nice to use when chasing, NOT. As it backfires also on your own ass. Basically it is a weather for blink-abusers and dashers. Or perhaps stalling.

TL DR;  Drizzle, East Asian Rain are only non-fuckup weathers.

People who mention Tenshi's passive ability with weather, it is cute but poorly designed: Weather has fucked up long cooldown and as if you are going to 24/7 camp the weather controller, wasting effort, focus and faith just to get some extra bonus out of Tenshi. It seriously does not make up.

I wish they would turn the weather into a toggle-able option in the lobby so it randomizes a set of weathers per lets say, 10 minutes? That way it will be more like a SURPRISE-FACTOR instead of trying hard to meta it up.

But we know all how this game is being developed.

CloverNaght

• FOEs r scareh
« Reply #397 on: June 20, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
People who mention Tenshi's passive ability with weather, it is cute but poorly designed
win

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #398 on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
You know how everyone like to disable weather for SWR? Yeah that.

But let's give it another chance here. Consider that the most hated on girls according to the poll are physical damage dealers, with weather usage the metagame can shift to favouring magic damage carries for a change.

Teetoku

• You should...
  • Take it easy.
« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
computers made out of rocks and modems made out of smaller piles of rocks, and the effects tends to lag them horribly.
My comp is old, but it doesn't lag when the weathers are enabled :| and DC is my arch nemesis!

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
Drizzle - probably the most useful weather which has no terrible effect on the game. No unbalancing or no fucking ups for gameplay.
Scarlet Mist - is pretty much ignorable. LS? It might perhaps stall creep laning bit more but it will do nothing amazing.
River Mist - when you want to go Metal Gear solid 2, this is your weather. Though everybody starts behaving different when this weather is on. And only 40 seconds.
East Asian Rain - This weather halves creeps HP to 50% for sure, it is pretty good counter to stall stuff. Probably 2nd useful weather in this game.
Springe Haze - GOOD THING DEVS LET THE BUILDINGS GAIN ARMOUR AS WELL. Before, they didn't which made this weather fucking retarted because Youmu or other fast AGI could tear down towers/rax and you could do NOTHING about it. Now it is good for stalling. But.... Patchouli, Marisa and other spell users will benefit from this weather most as the armour is like Reimu's border, physical blocking. So yea good luck trying to harm them while their magic attacks dmg the shit out of you.
Typhoon - ...35% dmg?. Do I need to say more?
Snow - you will think this weather is nice to use when chasing, NOT. As it backfires also on your own ass. Basically it is a weather for blink-abusers and dashers. Or perhaps stalling.

This probably won't change yer mind, but I would like to note that all weathers are still situational.  All that stuff you said about Spring Haze, yeah that sucks, but I would also applaud the other team for getting the idea to use Spring Haze and a character like Patchouli or Marisa, who are of the few characters that can do magic damage to towers.  Snow is good for chasers who are way faster than usual, or have a different method of chasing(Murasa, blinking types, etc), and can be hilarious to certain enemies if you are Letty.  Scarlet Mist is good with most melee carries, or if you need a quick method to heal if you don't want to go back to base, River Mist is good if you are Kaguya or have a tengu or anything like that.

Just last night, we were in a game where we spammed the crap out of drizzle, because our team used mana a lot and they had Mokou and Koishi, who couldn't use the weather at all.  This is the prime example of using strategy with weather.

The only one I have a bit of an issue with is Typhoon, which is +35% damage and slightly wonky, but the bonus isn't given to just the enemy team.  You have it too!  If you are or have a team member that is a heavy hitter type, then it'll be crazy useful if you can set up a gank or something.  If you get ganked, well that's your problem.  Would also like to know if it's +35% total damage or base damage.

TL DR; you use weathers to give yourself an advantage and if possible, the enemy a disadvantage.  That's pretty much the entirety of strategy.

Before I forget, the whole 'pile of rocks' thing is a joke I make to my friend because her computer still runs Windows 98.

« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
actually only marisa/okuu can do noticeable damage to towers with spells. patchys fire ball does like what 50? damage, but then its reduced  :V

CloverNaght

• FOEs r scareh
« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »
Would also like to know if it's +35% total damage or base damage.
based on your base damage (similar to trueshot/command aura)
Just last night, we were in a game where we spammed the crap out of drizzle, because our team used mana a lot and they had Mokou and Koishi, who couldn't use the weather at all
more like those people didn't want to be a real jerk (maybe) so they spammed the most sane weather
well don't get me wrong i'm actually neutral with this weather debate (at least decrease the bonus from weathers tho..i find that invis weather quite interesting for some reason)

« Reply #403 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
Some uses for East Asian Rain, because good examples were given for other weathers.

It can be used to completely destroy creeps, which is good for defending. However, with reitaisai + healers like MoF / Eirin, you can siege the enemy tower and weaken the enemy girls. You can kill yukkuris / girls with low hp that are running away. If they have 40x hp, Tenshi, cast the weather ans SWR :V

It also trolls the squishies too, good for tank teams

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #404 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »
actually only marisa/okuu can do noticeable damage to towers with spells. patchys fire ball does like what 50? damage, but then its reduced  :V
Royal flare

and

Chiko

@ Dular,
I agree on all given arguments in your post. So we can both safely assume it is an extremely situational thing to get weathers right or wrong. Either way, if people want to play with it, that is fine. Just as long as they highlight the others (before the game starts...) so no whining/raging occurs when suddenly someone surprise weathers.

« Reply #405 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
except 20 updates ago they made it so royal flare couldnt target buildings anymore :V

« Reply #406 on: June 21, 2011, 03:38:44 AM »

RF and Philo Stones are good against towers, and her firelol is good against the creeps coming to defend them. But still, there are faster alternatives for taking out towers (Yuuka, Reisen) and Orinpush's explosions do damage to towers as well.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #407 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
philo stones and yuuka dont work when they have 5000 armour though

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »
except 20 updates ago they made it so royal flare couldnt target buildings anymore :V
Too bad Devs cannot decide whether they want to let it target buildings or not.

---

@ Shadow,  what Rawr said. Phil stones are physical and magical damage mixed. Most of the damage is physical, thus doesn't do anything to Spring hase or strong armour units.

@ Rawr,  afaik Flowers had piercing damage. Perhaps they will. Need to test out to be sure.

Edit: Flowers don't puncture AP during spring hase. Only F will deal damage for Yuka, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:53:26 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #409 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
Hi all!
I'm looking for a place where people gather to play DotS.
If you know anything - chat, channel, conference, etc. - where I can find people to play DotS with, tell me PLS!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:51:02 PM by TripleDenial »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #410 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
Threads and section for DotS/WC3 is here

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #411 on: June 22, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
We like to hang out and organize games on our IRC channel.
As for actually playing with us, we play on the MotK battlenet server.
Instructions for setting it up can be found here.

« Reply #412 on: June 22, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
I tried this server but couldn't catch any game to enter. When do u usually play? What time, what timezone?

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #413 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
We don't hang around on bnet.
Unfortunately, if you only lurk bnet, you're not going to get into any games.
This is because we organize all of our games on the IRC beforehand.
As for timezones, we play at all times, though games are more common on weekends. Since we have players from pretty much everywhere.

« Reply #414 on: June 22, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »
So tell me pls, how to join ur IRC channel??

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »
Click on this link and put in a nickname before hitting "Connect".

Teetoku

• You should...
  • Take it easy.
« Reply #416 on: June 22, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
Seems like somebody doesn't like reading. ;D

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #417 on: June 22, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »
Threads merged for justice.

Raito already had his/her first game with us. He/she seems familiar with the game, just suffering from delay. Kind of like Amra.

« Reply #418 on: June 23, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »
We should have DotS Achievements. Because just about every other game has these things nowadays, even single player Portal 2. (non srsbsns rubbish coming up)

Achievement Unlocked!
Pacifist Run - Be on the winning team with no kills.
Legend of Hourai - Be on the winning team with no deaths.
Ip Man - Solo kill an entire team with no assists from teammates or teammates nearby. (You need to have watched the Ip Man movie to get this reference... or just http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127940685472 :V)
Lunatic High - Successfully graze 3 spells within 10 seconds with red hp.
Apparitions Stalk The Night - Random EX-Rumia. :V
Unidentified Flying Fantastic Girl - Hit with 3 consecutive UFOs within 15 seconds as Nue.
Greedisgood - As Minoriko, heal yourself when there's a red hp teammate nearby. :V
So Yandere... - Wreck 2 towers within 10 minutes of the game starting.
So Tsundere... - Deny an entire creep wave.
Inaba of the Earth - Grab 10 runes with positive effects in a game.
Resurrection Butterfly - Kill your killer within 15 seconds of your death.

/random

Adding a new one just because...

So VERY Yandere... - Deal at least 5000 damage to a single target within 0.5s (after taking armour/magic resistance into account)

I watched a chinese replay sometime ago where someone did this in a hilarious way.  :o Hint: It wasn't done with Flan.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:39:08 AM by ApharmdB »

Captain Infinity

• Captain of Echo Platoon, 3rd Battalion.
  • To bring chaos and honor to this world gone soft.
« Reply #419 on: June 23, 2011, 07:18:37 AM »
Pacifist Run - Be on the winning team with no kills.

I've done this a couple of times before :V

Legend of Hourai - Be on the winning team with no deaths.

I've done this once as my first and only time as Meiling :V

Ip Man - Solo kill an entire team with no assists from teammates or teammates nearby. (You need to have watched the Ip Man movie to get this reference... or just http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127940685472 :V)

This sounds like Dormio when his luck is agreeing with him :V Not like me at all though.

Lunatic High - Successfully graze 3 spells within 10 seconds with red hp.

I think a lot of us have done this a few times including me :3

Apparitions Stalk The Night - Random EX-Rumia. :V

I WILL ONE DAY GET THIS.

Unidentified Flying Fantastic Girl - Hit with 3 consecutive UFOs within 15 seconds as Nue.

I fail as Nue :V and I played as her twice only.

Greedisgood - As Minoriko, let a teammate die near you when your Apple or Potato Cart skills cooldown is off. :V

Fairly sure I don't qualify for this :V

So Yandere... - Wreck 2 towers within 10 minutes of the game starting.

I rarely random pushing heroes orz

So Tsundere... - Deny an entire creep wave.

What is this 'deny' ability you speak of, I have Australian delay, screw you all :V

Inaba of the Earth - Grab 10 runes with positive effects in a game.

I AM NOT DORMIO SCREW THIS.

Resurrection Butterfly - Kill your killer within 15 seconds of your death.

I've done this randomly a few times :3
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:27:14 AM by 1Lt. Infinity »