Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest #7 - All Hallow's Even 2! Results announced!  (Read 63340 times)

Drake

Danmakufu Contest #7 - All Hallow's Even 2! Results announced!
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »
Hey guys! For y'alls wanting to judge, here are the links to every entry. Judge each entry out of 10, provide a small synopsis as to why you rated each entry as such. Be sure to PM your judgements to Drake, he will tally everything and reveal a winner on November 7th, so have your judgements in before then!

Sasupoika
Download.

Foremoster
Easy. Normal. Hard.

Iryan
Download.

GenericTouhouFan
Download, with sound (16MB) - Mirror Mediafire
Download, no sound (for slow connections, 4MB) - Mirror Mediafire

Zerro
Download.

Chau
Download. Play at 60fps!

Kylesky
Download.

Thaws
Download.

Schezo
Download.

Grumskiz
Download. (Version 3)

Suikama
Download. (Full game, launch seperately)

Onthenet
Normal.
Easy. (Paste over top of Normal)

Naut
Download. Mirror.

It's finally time for our 7th Danmakufu contest:
All Hallow's Even 2: Let's make a stage!

That' right, people, it's that time again. Both for a new contest, and for Halloween. Since there was just so much positive feedback in regards to a stage contest, the Powers That Be decided it would be a good idea. This contest has a Halloween theme to it, and for the first time, we're going to make you guys create a whole stage. Enemy design, stage structure, moving backgrounds, you're all gonna have to push your abilities to the limits with this one.

Judging this time around will be much different. This time around we'll have Community Voting. This means that instead of me judging all of your crap, anyone who wants to can play all the scripts, judge each one and give their scores (out of ten) with a short summary to me. I will tally up the scores and determine the winner based on this.

Rules and tips:
  • Scare people. It's Halloween you bastards, be creative. Surprise insta-kills are a bad thing though, don't do that.
  • Stages are recommended to be at least 40 seconds long. This is a contest based on the whole stage, you don't need some piddly thing. In the same way, don't make it too long. I will slap you if it's PCB Stage 4 long.
  • Bosses are recommended to have two nonspells and two spells. You cannot have any more, but you can have less. Having less just means less danmaku funtime for everybody.
  • Midboss is optional. Two nonspells and one spell at max.
  • Work on your background, sound effects and music choices. A good stage (especially a Halloween-centric stage) needs good synergy with its setting and theme; it shouldn't be boring for the player.
  • Any scripts I find with errors popping up are disqualified. If people have trouble extracting it (i.e. you aren't using relative pathnaming or you have some dumb lib\shotsheet thing going on), also disqualified. Has to work out of the box.
  • I discourage giving extra score to an entry with super fandangled shiny graphics. Nice graphics is a great thing to have, but there is a difference between nice and "you didn't really need to make it that shiny". Spend more time on impressive danmaku and stages.
  • Having two difficulties is recommended. Not all people play the same difficulty, so having only one difficulty poorly balanced is a big no-no. It isn't a must, but as your peers are judging you you'll want to be careful with balancing.

• Anyone can judge the scripts, even if they haven't entered, or even really know anything about danmakufu at all! (although really you should know a bit hopefully) Obviously, nobody can judge their own script.
  • All your votes will be pruned through by yours truly. You should have solid reasons for giving someone a certain score, and if it looks as if there's a bias involved I'll call you out on it / throw it out.

All scripts must be submitted by 11:59:59 PST (GMT-8), October 31. This means you have a whole two and a half weeks to work on this. Entries two seconds late will be accepted.
All judgments must be submitted by 11:59:59 PST, November 6. Preferably much sooner.

Go.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:29:47 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Re: Danmakufu Contest #7 - All Hallow's Even 2!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:42:39 AM »
Anniversary contest, mofos. Let's do this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:45:49 AM by Naut »

Formless God

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
Aww yeah finally a contest where I can participa----

a whole stage
y u du dis drak

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:16:44 AM »
It's my fault, isn't it? The fact that we're getting a Stage contest. Bah, back then I had no idea what a pain that stuff is.
We'll see if I join or not based on if I can figure out how to make a basic Stage.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:17:49 AM »
All right!
Exams are over ! Imma gonna participat-
Aww yeah finally a contest where I can participa----
a whole stage
y u du dis drak
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Dayum u drakums
Oh well.
Lets rip off koishi hell
Or smack in some BROFISTS

Event though i'm already working on another stage. I'll whip something up.
Eventually.
Spoiler:
I'm probably gonna make a kickass entry that's so polish then break a few rules and achieve last place

PROTIP: PCB STAGE 4 IS 4 Minutes Long
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:24:53 AM by GenericTouhouFailure »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:11:01 AM »
< Insert Stuffman's Gorilla Glue image >

I am curious what results we are going to get.

SPOILER : Also I am extremely biased in this contest when I am going to vote. Some elements will increase my scoring, and some will decrease. But which will do what? Who knows.

Good luck all. (  '.')b

Kylesky

• *The Unknown*
  • Local Unbalanced Danmakufu Idiot Scripter
    • My useless youtube account... (will be useful in the future *I promise*)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »
Whoa... an entirely new contest out of nowhere... let's see if I can still make crap months after my last released script :V (and how much crappier I got after so long)

Entries two seconds late will be accepted.
How about 2.01 seconds? :ohdear:
Danmakufu Script Thread :V Latest Script: Intertwining Mechanical Intervention (temp name)

Yooooouuutuuuubeeee Channel Latest Video: Contest #8 Entry

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »
Permission to judge scripts requested.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
Quote from: drakums
Anyone can judge the scripts
How about 2.01 seconds? :ohdear:
[jokespoiler]I don't think the system calculates .01ths of a second[/jokespoiler]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:11:36 AM by GenericTouhouFailure »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:18:18 PM »
As the gentleman above has already quote explained. You failed to read the thread.

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Yay! It's time to make some danmaku scripting! ... even if I don't celebrate halloween here.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Yay! It's time to make some danmaku scripting! ... even if I don't celebrate halloween here.
You always suddenly show up when there are contests going on. Makes you a stalker imo :V

Johnny Walker

• Perdition Crisis~
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
You always suddenly show up when there are contests going on. Makes you a stalker imo :V

I'm always lurking on the garage from my work :P and I have tons of stuff to download from here too >_<.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
... even if I don't celebrate halloween here.

It's hard to get holidays that absolutely everybody celebrates, so we just roll with ones that most people at least know about.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
Alright, cool. I'm hoping we wind up doing a Halloween-themed contest every year, both for tradition and because it's a subject with a lot of creative potential.

Ahhhh, where am I gonna find time to do this though? :ohdear:

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »
As the gentleman above has already quote explained. You failed to read the thread.

Nah, I had already read the thread.
I only had a stronge urge to say that.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
Oh man it's seriously been a year since the first contest?

Crazy :getdown:

Entries two seconds late will be accepted.
:smug: :smug:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:29:35 PM by Suikama »

Bitz

• So Moe!
  • *heart attack*
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 12:45:35 AM »
Hmm... I don't know if I'll have enough time to make an entry for this contest, unless I put my current programming project on hold, which is most definitely probably a really bad idea.

Formless God

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
From reading the reviews on last year's contest, I assume the script needs to have pumpkins and candies and stuff instead of just ... something scary ?

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »
The rules were kinda vague last time. Well it was the first contest after all. Also this time scripts are peer reviewed so while the criteria for what might make a script more halloweenish may vary from person to person, overall it should even out so that you'll still get marks as long as your script is relevant to Halloween in some way...

...Hopefully :3

I'd just do both to be on the safe side :3

Drake

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 01:04:57 AM »
Halloween theme. Creativity. That's pretty much it for the required element, just actually do something related to Halloween. How you do it is up to you, how well it does is up to everyone else.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
Yes! Another contest! Another opportunity to go against everyone's works! I can't wait to see the other's scripts! Time to put everything I've learned in action!

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
If we were to include a Last Spell-type card, with requirements to see, would that count against the 2SC limit?

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
This makes me wonder if it's possible to make a CAVE- style stage in danmakufu.

Spoiler:
How about a Deathsmiles inspired script?
  :getdown:

Drake

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
If we were to include a Last Spell-type card, with requirements to see, would that count against the 2SC limit?
You... really don't need to do that. It would still count against the limit if you did though. Also to note, I discourage survival cards in general for this contest. It isn't forbidden, but a survival card isn't really something that belongs in such a short boss fight anyways.

wellllllllll

Spoiler:
How about a Deathsmiles inspired script?
  :getdown:
Has to work with most characters, sry. And by most I mean characters without fancy schmancy shitgiggles that break everything they weren't intended for.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 11:11:25 PM »
Wow, it sounds like a lot of fun, maybe I'll try (still have to finish learning danmakufu though  :V).

So, I was wondering, is it possible to include a certain :P as a deathfairy instead of a midboss or boss? I have already planned those spots for different characters, and I wanted to include her in my script because she's scary., so... can I?

Formless God

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 11:27:56 PM »
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1247

Spoiler:
Deathsmiles
That ... is actually fitting for this.
Now I have to find another idea :(

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »
I'm debating whether or not to try making something for this. On one hand, whatever I do can't be any worse than what I did for the first contest, but on the other, I haven't touched Danmakufu in months, and...creativity required? That's going to be a hard prerequisite for me to meet.

Regardless, I'm interested in seeing how this contest turns out.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
Has to work with most characters, sry. And by most I mean characters without fancy schmancy shitgiggles that break everything they weren't intended for.
Wait so we're not allowed to limit the players to the defaults or just Marisa something like that?

Drake

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 03:10:19 AM »
Limiting it to the defaults will fulfill those requirements, silly. I don't want the script to be designed for some random player. Just saying that having a script that requires the player to shoot backwards (DS) or something would be bad.