Author Topic: Touhou for busy people translation project [IaMP patch released]  (Read 108432 times)

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
Welcome to the "for Busy Person" translation projects thread. This is where I try to translate Kasugasoft's "忙しい人のための~" games with the help of DennouNeko and other random people.

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil for Busy Person: Patch post, Youtube version

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil for Busy Person EXTRA: Patch post, no Youtube version.

Perfect Cherry Blossom for Busy Person: Patch post, Youtube version

Perfect Cherry Blossom for Busy Person EXTRA: Patch post, Youtube version

Shoot the Bullet for Busy Person: Patch post, Youtube version

Immaterial and Missing Power for Busy Person: Patch post, Youtube version
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:08:43 AM by Arknarok »

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
Re: Touhou for busy people translation project
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:22:05 AM »
Revival of http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,8232.0.html ?
I haven't heard anything of yozaku or whatshisname since though.
Don't games that use the KiriKiri scripting engine use xp3 packing?
I can't check to make sure since I haven't actually found copies of the games yet <_<
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »
Don't games that use the KiriKiri scripting engine use xp3 packing?
Packing is one thing. They can also use encryption to protect files within the archives. While encryption is generally done with just xoring (but not necessarily so), the xor key selection algorithms can be different.

To reiterate what I've said in opening post:
it's possible (easy even) to unpack and decipher the files. I have all the files extracted, deciphered and ready to edit.
BUT, I haven't found a way to make them into a patch, the game won't accept edited files. I tried to feed it its own file, encrypted with its xor key, and it worked fine. But if I change even 1 byte within the file before encoding, it stops working.

Therefore, I will use an "alternative" "way" to translate the game. But if you can completely hack the encryption, that would be great.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
It's probably because it does an MD5 or other checksum on the files as well (or checks only for the specific XOR key). I'll try taking a look in the exe, but I doubt I'll be able to do anything, I don't have quite that much experience with disassembly.

Can you give some sample XOR keys to check for, and what files they are for?

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Can you give some sample XOR keys to check for, and what files they are for?
scenario/1 プロローグ.ks - encrypted with A0.
scenario/2 スタート(霊).ks - encrypted with 80.
image/alice01.bmp - encrypted with 20.
image/alice01_me.bmp - encrypted with D0.
sound/ali_0000.ogg - encrypted with 50.
sound/ali_0001.ogg - encrypted with 20.
bgm/bgm01.ogg - encrypted with D8.
bgm/bgm02.ogg - encrypted with 60.

Here, hope you can do something with it.

UPDATE: I changed 1 byte in scenario/1 プロローグ.ks and tried to bruteforce the correct key after that. I actually did manage to do that (the correct key turned out to be 80). Looks like ks-files are encrypted with 4-bit XOR.

UPDATE2: I can now tell that it's perfectly possible to replace japanese text within the files with other japanese text (you'd have to bruteforce the XOR key though). But if I put english text, the game hangs. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:42:54 PM by Arknarok »

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
Here's an update for patching:

It is possible to patch once you bruteforce the XOR key. They are 4-bit for .ks files (the only ones that need patching), so it's not that hard.

If you replace japanese text with other japanese text, the game works fine.

If you replace character names with ANSI english text, the game hangs.

If you replace character names with SJIS full-width alphanumeric english text, the game works fine.

If you replace other text with ANSI english or SJIS full-width alphanumeric text, the game hangs.

I assume it's the engine's problem. It's still impossible to make a patch just like that.

NOTE: There actually are points in the game where it prints out SJIS full-width alphanumeric text. I have no idea how that works, the game just hangs if I try doing that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:28:52 PM by Arknarok »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:02 AM »
Wait, which game in the series were you doing?

Also, do you know what fonts are used for character names/dialogue/etc? It might be that the font doesn't support full-width 2 byte SJIS characters. If that was the case, it's possible to change the font to support it; I did exactly that for Touhou Hack and Slash.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
Wait, which game in the series were you doing?

Also, do you know what fonts are used for character names/dialogue/etc? It might be that the font doesn't support full-width 2 byte SJIS characters. If that was the case, it's possible to change the font to support it; I did exactly that for Touhou Hack and Slash.
The first one (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil for Busy Person).
The game uses Comic, Mincho or Handwriting fonts. I think Mincho has the most complete set of characters, so I don't think it's the font problem. Again, as I said, I could replace character names with full-width 2-byte SJIS, so they are supported. Even the game uses them occasionally. I just don't know how to make the game not crash when I insert them into the text box.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
So the text box used the same font?

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
So the text box used the same font?
Yes. I just can't figure out why the game hangs if I put english text in...

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
While the standard Kirikiri engine can display English text, it does not know
how to word-wrap automatically, since Japanese text doesn't require it.  To
enable this, it is necessary to patch several Kirikiri system files (see
below) and to preprocess your script files with the xp3-wordwrap tool to add
wordwrapping hint commands.

Could it be because the text is going too far off screen and causing it to crash?

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 04:04:39 PM »
Could it be because the text is going too far off screen and causing it to crash?
Highly unlikely. Even if I just try to print out 1 english character, it still won't work. Even if I copy the phrases, containing english characters, from other parts of the game, it still hangs when loading the file.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
Meanwhile, translation is slowly moving along as I've "completed" Reimu route stage 1. I put completed in quotes since... well... my translator's skills suck.

I'll be opening my "alternative way" of translating the game in November.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Being unable to comprehend anything you said in the OP I can only extend my thanks that you are bothering to do this, so thanks :3
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
Being unable to comprehend anything you said in the OP I can only extend my thanks that you are bothering to do this, so thanks :3
Sorry for that. The post got detached from the previous thread, so it was a bit out of context. I hope it's easier to understand now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:39:23 PM by Arknarok »

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
I would try to help more with the english characters issue, but I'm too busy to dive into anything too complex what with school and my own projects, sorry.  :ohdear:

I guess the only thing I could suggest is to try to find people who had similar issues while translating a game with the KiriKiri engine.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »
One more part of the game is finished.

I also opened up the project, read the first post to see how am I going to translate it without hacking the game.

あさらぎシジェ

• MS Paint Lasers incoming!
  • Surprisingly different
    • [あさらぎ Works]
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
I'd offer to help with the translation process, but I'm worried I may not be much better a translator than yourself. But two heads are better than one, right?
I'd be happy to offer editing/proofreading though since you mentioned English not being your first language.
Any chance you can dump the scripts?
Oh, by the way. I've found some new tea.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:25 PM »
I don't actually have the scripts. I got the idea that scripts might be useful too late, so I decided not to have them altogether.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
It seems like there are also places in the game where ANSI English text is used. I just can't get how it's supposed to work, since it means the engine does support English text.

While I won't be making a translation patch for this game, maybe someone should try figuring out how to patch the games, to help with translation of other games from the series.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
One more stage finished, progress updated (see first post).

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Another stage finished, first post updated.

My current plan is to try and make Reimu's route playable (that is, to allow you to complete the game as Reimu) by the end of the year. I'll start with Marisa's route in 2012 and hopefully complete it in spring (I'd like to translate it a little slower than I do now). So there's your estimated release date. But if you want to play it right away - the development version (which will become the release version) is always there.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
Time for an update. I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is, I've finished another stage, see first post.

The bad news is, YouTube new style has screwed up the annotation editor. It looks nicer now, but is much less usable for hardcore annotating projects (like my translations). It's way too troublesome to use it to translate the game from now on. Therefore, I had to switch to using hardsubs. And here is the problem: once hardsubs are up, little can be done about them. You can't turn them off in YouTube if you want to help me with translation. And even if you come up with a good idea about some part of the game, I'll have to redo the video locally and reupload the whole part if I want to change it. So I guess you can't really help me with the project anymore (except for the earlier parts, I have no intention of redoing them using hard subs).

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
And another part is finished. There's not much left until Reimu's route is fully playable!

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
Re: Touhou for busy people translation project [Halfway there!]
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
Ending finished. You can now complete the game if you choose Reimu's route!

I'm sort of tired of translating this game at high speed, I'll be taking a break until 2012. I'll start working on Marisa's route in January.

If you want to help me with translating Marisa's route, now is the perfect time to do so - PM me and I'll hand you the scenario files.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
A bit of updates.

1. I recalculated my progress on the game translation based on the fact that I use ver. 1.11 game files. The first few episodes might have been from earlier game version, but it shouldn't really matter.

2. My account on YouTube is, unfortunately, not in good standing anymore, which means I am no longer able to make unlisted videos. In order to keep the progress consistent, all game videos are now public. They are still meant to be played in order as dictated by the in-video links (NOT the numbers in video titles).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:44:20 PM by Arknarok »

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 12:15:47 AM »
I looked at the bmp files (cause their format is simple) and there seems to be 32 possible XOR keys.

There's 0x00, 0x10, ... 0xF0, and then there's 0x08, 0x18, 0x28, ... , 0xF8
No obvious pattern though.

I included 0x00 because some files are simply not encrypted.

The following images use the same key 0xE0

title_bt_load.bmp
win_bt_skip_2.bmp
rumia01_me.bmp

The following images use 0x38
fkoakuma01.bmp
fremi02.bmp

Maybe analyzing the files can produce some guesses as to why they use the same key.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1dskwa82yvdzb8j
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:58:44 AM by Tsukihime »

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »
Back to work. As I said, I won't spend as much time on the project, so I'm still planning to finish it around spring.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 06:26:44 AM »
One more part finished.

As I've learned, I also can't upload long videos on Youtube anymore, so I'll have to create multiple-part episodes again.

Arknarok

• Give my nose back!
  • I translate stuff
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
Another part finished, progress updated.

In other news, Youtube has changed annotation styles yet again. I wish they would stop doing that, I have about 3 or 4 annotation styles in my videos that were used over the time of development.