Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192030 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #570 on: July 18, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
Yeah bring older things!  The only reason I'm not bringing more older things is they all either need wig or prop repair or are just too big a pain for Otakon-heat to deal with.  Any pictures of costumes gone past?

Speaking of costumes, Technically I did no more sewing than my last pictures I just put what I had together and threw everything that was done on without trying to look picture ready and uh this happened.
The other outfit I'm working on is annoying me, Red Mage off one of those sexy Halloween lady 3 Musketeers patterns. I think I should have sized down and whoops!  It looks like I'm drowning in fabric from the sleeves!  So we're just going to ditch them (also it will make it less Toastycon for me)  Stay tuned for how this will come out in the end!
Also bonus: 
[attach=1]
triangles the forums user holding Triangles the cat!

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #572 on: July 18, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »
Carry a white balloon around with you! :>
With all the people that I'll have to weave through and all the potentially sharp cosplays that could murder the phantom half?  Hahaha. thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just get a pillow-type thing prepared for whenever I wear Youmu AFTER Otakon.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #573 on: July 18, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
With all the people that I'll have to weave through and all the potentially sharp cosplays that could murder the phantom half?  Hahaha. thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll just get a pillow-type thing prepared for whenever I wear Youmu AFTER Otakon.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/391888/-_-4koma-bird-chibi-colonel_aki-comic-flandre_scar

lol

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #574 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
man, of all the cosplays I searched for I didn't expect this:

http://alstroemeriansecrets.tumblr.com/post/27483553258/cullenbunn-deadpool-has-destroyed-comic-con

fuck yeah Deadpool. I hereby award this man best cosplay of the year.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2012, 03:32:52 AM »
Tokin #1 (wood) Front:

Started by braiding some red string....

I'm using a 4 strand round braid... learned from this handy guide: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/4strand.htm Tied off at the end to prevent unraveling. Oh, and the white stuff inside the tokin are sugru magnet protector thingys.

Both ends done...

Figured out how to make some pom-poms out of yarn.... and this is the first attempt...

Hmm, wasn't "full" enough. So I wrapped some more layers of yarn and tried again... This time it came out pretty good, so I threaded the red braid through the pom-pom, and used some thread and went in and out of the pom pom a few times to secure it...

Finished! (just need to finalize the hairband thingy that secures it, and i'm set!)

Tengu Geta Front:
A co-worker found this tire tread that fell off a truck, and he thought it might be useful....

Yeah, it's a bit too thick....

It also had steel wire running all along the inside of it.... way too hard to cut conventionally. So I had to trash it :/

The search continues!

Blouse Front:
Welp, this is the first post about this project, since I've been busy rushing to get it done. Anyway, to recap, I've been modifying a McCall's pattern # M5433 to what i hope looks like an Aya-Blouse. After 1 attempt, I've went back to the pattern and changed the lines a bit to make it thinner... This is with the front and back pinned together.... (picture taken with the skirt, since it looked "off" without it lols.

Altering the shoulder pattern after I figured out how it fit into the armhole lolz. Needs more poof.

After 2 more failed prototypes, I finally got it figured out....

Gathering the sleeve:

Made my own double fold bias-tape and attaching it now

Cutting off seam allowance, and rolling the hem of the sleeve before I fold the bias-tape down to the "right side" of the shoulder.

This is what it looks like after being hemmed..

One sleeve attached...

Collar stand pattern cutting....

Turns out the pattern's collar was massive. Seriously, it was as huge as Kamina's (tengen toppa gurren lagann)  collar in his huge cape thingy that he wears... So I had to experiment with my own collar pattern... And eventually...Collar finished!

Blouse To-Do List: Buttons, ribbon running in and out
Geta To-Do List:  Attach Rubber on bottom without cracking the wood...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:30:35 AM by Bob64 »

Rockman Zero

• Class S Irregular Hunter
  • Lord of Angels
    • Angel Online
« Reply #576 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
Well, a Central  Park cosplay show.
Even summer is hot in Shanghai, we can tell you what is the four seasons like in Shanghai. Let's see.
Spring.
[attach=1]
Summer.
[attach=2]
Autumn.
[attach=3]
Winter.
[attach=4]

All right, let's start our story.
[attach=5]
1, Long long ago, there was a rabbit (Tewi) walking in the jungle.
2, She is kind and one day...
3, She met a squirrel (Youmu), a very common squirrel.
4, Soon, they start their happiness lives.
5, It's about the time, I have something to tell you that...
6, You are mine, baby.
7, At that time, the rabbit said to the squirrel, "I love you, Youmu."
8, End. Dammit! Is that romantic?

Well, let's start another.
[attach=6]
1, Well, Yuyuko, you are finished today!
2, Do you think I am scared by this, my breast is bigger than yours.
3, Dammit! You dare to insult me for my small breast?
4, I am not scared, take this!
5, Reimu: My ultra attack, touch breast!
   Yuyuko: Huh, she is not scared? Damn you! What are you doing.
6, What? (Notice, 纳尼 is a tune words for Japanese "Nani" means "What") What are you doing for Yuyuko-sama? I admire you... No! Watch my sword!
7, You dare to insult Yuyuko like this?
8, Oh no! At this rate I will be killed. Run!
(Note: I am Konpaku Youki in this scene)

Well, next one.
[attach=7]
1, (Note, 9 is Cirno) Cirno, your hair got disorder, come on, let me make up it. (Note, The girl who dress as Reimu did all the make up work.)
2, I am the strongest.
3, Die! You fool!
4, From then on, the hair which Reimu made up for Cirno got stick with the ground forever.

The last one.
[attach=8]
Tewi: Please, I am hungry, offer me some food.
Reimu: If I have money, I will probably not end up have mud here.

Well, some omakes for the next reply.
I am the host of the purest ACG forum: Angel Online.http://www.acglms.com.cn.

Rockman Zero

• Class S Irregular Hunter
  • Lord of Angels
    • Angel Online
« Reply #577 on: July 23, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »
[attach=1]
The staff is satisfied with Yuyuko's breast. Well, in fact Yuyuko is a guy in this team, due to he is short, I bought a pair of pads for him. So it looks like that Yuyuko is a girl.

[attach=2]
We are here only for cool. Well, the three cosplayers are all guys.

[attach=3]
It's really hot these days. Two girls can't help to get cool from the lake. (Note, this Yuyuko is not the one I mentioned at last reply I post. This one is really a girl and Patchouli is a girl as well. But the two girls cannot hold the heat and left before we start the stories.)

[attach=4]
The last shoot. I want to tell you that Reimu and Flandre are girls, others are guys. I am Youki, the only male character at that time. Fujiwara, the assistant for make up works did not take photos with us, it's really a pity. Fujiwara is only 14 years old, and she is really a cute girl.
I am the host of the purest ACG forum: Angel Online.http://www.acglms.com.cn.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #578 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »
Blouse Front:
Buttons done.

Sewing buttonholes for ribbon.

Not bothering to stop to cut the threads between the buttonholes LIKE A BOSS.

Now that is a good number of buttonholes (not cut yet).

Done:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 03:15:58 AM by Bob64 »

triangles

« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:06 AM »
Oh boy more Otakon costume things!
[attach=1]
Pretty much do not look too closely at the seams of anything I am wearing this convention.  Even with the right needle I had a lot of skipped stitches on the bottom hem since the twin needle was not very effective
Spoiler:
Beedrill let me down :(
and it's really obvious when in the ~20hrs of handsewing I did I realized the best ways to make the stitches less obvious.  WHOOPS OH WELL.

Not pictured:  wig, ears (fur cut out, sister is bringing the polyfill tomorrow), wrist bands which are totally at the end of my to-do list right about now since that's something I can stitch in < 1 hr in the hotel room.  Also all the PUNK RAWK  :dragonforce: accessories.

Now to coffee up and finish up my other Otakon costume I am good at planning.

OH OH OH SPEAKING OF THE OTHER COSTUME
[attach=2]
I stayed up far past my bedtime but all that is left is some handsewing to tack the lining into place, proper closures/velco for the collar and cape, white buttons and of course the hat.  If I never see white bias tape again I will be completely fine with that.  The silver pin will have a blue gem glued on.  I was thinking of added a neckerchief ruffle and standalone cuffs, but the former I think will make the front too busy and detract from the crisp lines, and the latter hahahahaha time to finish what is that.

Fun fact - the cape thingy was based off my shawl from my Alice costumes from 2009, which was based of the cape thingy from my original Red Mage costume I made in 2004 which was absolutely horrible.  I think I have redeemed myself.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2012, 05:22:39 AM »
My work is complete (mostly)!

http://i.imgur.com/3CpRZ.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/SBGy7.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/b8GL9.jpg , http://i.imgur.com/hoACR.jpg

There are a couple minor fixes that need done, and obviously I'm not wearing the wig, but it is OTAKON READY

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #581 on: July 30, 2012, 03:18:53 AM »
Mental note: Never park in a surface parking lot in baltimore.
T.T

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #582 on: July 30, 2012, 04:26:43 AM »
well fuck, what got stolen man? (seriously hope it is not your camera or something)

also, I hope those bags weren't left there before you parked your car. because seriously, bad idea always.
it just makes them wanna guess what is in those goddamn bags and steal it.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #583 on: July 30, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
we just checked out of the hotel and was getting  a bite to eat... one of my friends felt sick immediately (ran to bathroom) and prolonged our stay at the restaurant - enough time for the bastards to make a clean get-away with my newish laptop (worth ~$1000), computer mouse ($13.37), really old discontinued hard drive based mp3 player (worthless), a gps (very old model with 2010 maps - mebbie 40$), and a few audio/power cords. A friend also lost a luggage full of toiletries (mebbie 100$ for both the carry-on bag and the stuff inside).

I found the whole thing to be more annoying then financial painful :/ Since now I've gotta worry about any passwords i had saved on there and other personal info.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #584 on: July 30, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
man that sucks, hope you make a police report.
should try to tint them windows if you gonna leave valuable stuff in there. and as a whole, just don't leave computers...
should probably immediately cut/change all the passwords up on someone elses computer.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #585 on: July 30, 2012, 02:16:34 PM »
Yup. already made a police report. And yeah, have already started changing passwords to my most important accounts.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #586 on: July 30, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Dang, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that man. I remember how someone broke into my car in NYC, and all the bags of goodies I left in the car got stolen... yeah, never park in a surface parking lot in any major city, and take off the GPS from your car when you park because that's what seems to lure them in. Other than that, hope you still had fun at Otakon.

Going for a Yuuka for Youmacon. Anyone else planning to hit up Detroit?
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #587 on: July 30, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
Ouch, that isn't good. D: Good that you're doing the right things after that unfortunate incident.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
  • Sanyae says hi :)
« Reply #588 on: July 31, 2012, 04:28:03 AM »
At some point during the costume prep, I was thinking about the Reimu "Red Zone" video and eventually would like a shot of that. So a friend I haven't talked to in a while decides to give this idea a try and this is the end result

Photo Credit: Higher Contrast Photography
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:03:11 AM by cirnomodo »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #589 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
make a youtube video of this picture, and RedZone is necessary
name it GREEN ZONE

oh wait Matt Damon

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #590 on: July 31, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
At some point during the costume prep, I was thinking about the Reimu "Red Zone" video and eventually would like a shot of that. So a friend I haven't talked to in a while decides to give this idea a try and this is the end result

Photo Credit: Higher Contrast Photography

RUNNING IN GENSOKYO
IT'S THE NEW PLACE I LIKE TO BE
I'M JUST RUNNING IN GENSOKYO
COME ON GIVE YOUR FAITH TO ME
WE ARE RUNNING IN GENSOKYO
GONNA SET SUWAKO FREE
WE'RE JUST RUNNING IN GENSOKYO
YES I'M KANAKO, YOUR SHRINE BELONGS TO ME

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #591 on: July 31, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
This is awesome, both the picture, and MJP's parody-lines there. Nice job!

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »
make a youtube video of this picture, and RedZone is necessary
name it GREEN ZONE

oh wait Matt Damon

I'd thought about doing the video, but I'm not the best person when it comes to expressions.

triangles

« Reply #593 on: August 03, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »
Oh maybe I should post what my final Symposium of Post-Mysticism Kyouko looked like with the best photo ever from our very own Link!
[attach=1]

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #594 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »
Continuing on my friend's photo experiment, I volunteered again to be the subject. No, we are not trying to pull a "GreenZone", just something casual this time.

During the thought process, I would like to be something not typically represented.

Yuugi is featured in Sanae's outfit as part of the storyline in Haniwa's Miko Miko Suika (I love the series). Quite suitable as a Halloween costume too as Yuugi is an Oni.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #595 on: August 15, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »

Pattern for Shou's skirt bottom has been completed and put to use. The whole thing was done by hand, which took a long time, but I only have so many tools at my disposal. I used a special type of adhesive which is ironed onto the applique fabric, which is then ironed onto the main body of the piece you're working with. The end results are quite interesting.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

triangles

« Reply #596 on: August 31, 2012, 02:07:40 AM »
So I have a good friend who does all sorts of photography things (she was at SDCC helping with the Marvel booth) and we did a photoshoot over the weekend.  Not all the pics are up but here's a start.  The Kyouko wig is long, I was going to trim it before the shoot but then I had all the issues with my cat and it was the last thing on my mind whoops, I'll snipsnip it for Katsucon
[attach=1] [attach=2]
:* :* :*
A few more preview shots are here, and the rest will be posted on her tumblr.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
« Reply #597 on: September 06, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
Even though the wig seems a bit too long, the costume itself is very good!

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #598 on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
anyone seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsL2wO-Qs2w

That is the best Kisume cosplay I've ever seen!

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #599 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Halloween is in two weeks, so I'm cosplaying Rinnosuke (yay)

Currently in the progress of drafting patterns for me to use, I'm hoping to start cutting fabric tommorow if I get a chance to buy some. Let's hope this one doesn't kill my wallet too hard