Author Topic: Franchises you loved as a kid  (Read 18590 times)

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Franchises you loved as a kid
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 04:55:02 AM »
Sonic (not SatAM)
BLUE STREAK
SPEEDS BY
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:10 AM »
Oh, I also watched a lot of Doraemon.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Sality

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Ughh, so many Nostalgia.

I will go with Might Morphin Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Sonic, Doraemon and my favorite first anime, Cardcaptor Sakura.

In Video Game side,
Pokemon ! Although I don't play it anymore now. Feel so outdated since Pokemon Emerald and I decide to not play it anymore due to my disappointment in some of pokemon's designs. (well, that's just me anyway)

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
I remember loving pretty much all the old nicktoons that everyone already mentioned, but anyone remember the old SMB3 show? I watch it now (on VHS) and it's freaking corny, but god that was amazing back in the day. That, and the Megaman show. I loved that stuff as a kid, I was always into video games. Playing the games, watching the shows, beating my friends over the head with a stick pretending to be Link....

Those were the days, man.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 06:04:07 AM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned yugioh yet.....or maybe I'm just blind. Pokemon for sure, and Digimon. I'm sure I had others that aren't listed here yet, but I don't remember them.  :ohdear:

As for games, it had to be Mario, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon.

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned yugioh yet.....or maybe I'm just blind.
Well, for a lot of us, that was after our childhood. I still watched it, though.

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
Apart from those already mentioned in this thread, the big one for me was Robot Wars. I was really into the technical side of things and all the cool ideas that people came up with series after series. One of the edge-of-your-seat matches I remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpSsLBXuMXM&feature=related

Also, Batman Beyond (or Batman of the Future as I knew it). It was on quite late at night so I felt all grown up watching it at that time.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Completely forgot about this one last time, but anyone used to watch Timmy the Tooth? That show was awesome.

(Also, in relation to my last video-game related post: EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME, PRINCESS)

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:02 PM »
I remember watching some sort of Pacman movie as a kid. I think it was around Christmas. I really liked Pacman when I was younger for some reason, even owning a few games on (I think) the Sega Genesis. I also used to like Kingdom Hearts, I'm not such a big fan of that now. :V But then again, it wasn't really during my "childhood" but rather when I was a young teenager.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
I just remembered today about those educational kids' PC games.

Zoombinis, anyone? JumpStart? Freddie Fish? Cluefinders?

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »
How Many Bugs in a Box?

Ahahaha trip down nostalgia lane.

Adding to those, Treasure Mountain/Midnight Rescue/Outnumbered/Gizmos&Gadgets, Oregon/Amazon/Yukon Trail, Eagle Eye Mysteries, Big Thinkers, Carmen Sandiego. Not to mention the Magic School Bus games as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:01:34 PM by Conqueror »

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Jes_Isaive

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Freddie Fish?
Yessssss.

Most of the shows I watched were covered, so since that half was covered, the other half was Rareware games. Namely Banjo Kazooie/Tooie,  Goldeneye 64, and DK64.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »
I just remembered today about those educational kids' PC games.
Super Solvers Treasure MathStorm, Treasure Cove, and Midnight Rescue. Oh, my childhood.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:07 AM »
Gargoyles needs a mention.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 02:15:45 AM »

:*
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

jaxter0987

• Umiiro Shoujo ni Miserarete
  • Umi is love, Umi is life
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
Oregon/Amazon/Yukon Trail,

Oh god I remember freaking out when something "bad" happened in either of those games.

"Oh oops someone got lost. You wasted 3 days finding them", "Oh whats this? You got some disease and theres no way to cure it anytime soon?".  :ohdear:

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 02:49:49 AM »
Indeed. Never liked it but watched it often.

Oregon Trail was fun. Played a lot of Star Wars Droidworks in my elementary school though. It was fun creating a bunch of random parts and having them dance.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Fossil Goo

• UZUMAKI POKEMON
  • OMUNAITO
    • Doodle Blog I have
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 03:03:55 AM »
Freddie Fish?
OH MY FUCKING SHIT FREDDY FISH AND PUTT PUTT THE CAR WERE FUCKING PC GAMING GODS AS A KID SADABJADBHJABCJHABDSH HUMONGOUS ENTERTAINMENT

fun fact: the theme for the space levels in Putt Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama was my first experience with video game music being epic  :getdown:

I was also big on the Magic School Bus; watched the show and had nearly all of the games. I was also really into Kirby as a kid. Like, REALLY REALLY into Kirby. And though I watched a couple other cartoons, Digimon was basically my reason for getting up early on saturdays for my childhood. Though I'm not sure if "loved as a kid" is accurate since I still love the shit out of Digimon.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:06:51 AM by Fossil Goo »

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »

YES!  I can't believe I forgot that.   :*

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually used to watch TV.

... Just for Sonic. Yeah. Didn't expect that, did you?

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
Anyone else watch Mon Colle Knights?

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:01 PM »

Inspector Gadget.

SWAT Kats.

THE RADICAL SQUADRON

My dad and I watched Inspector Gadget together all the time.  He liked it because of Don Adams, Gadget's voice.  He was also Maxwell Smart from the perennial spy classic, Get Smart.  I think that was Mel Brooks' first TV series.  Oh man, that was good stuff.

Didn't read the whole thread, but prepare for a 90s nostalgia bomb:

seaQuest DSV (REMAKE OR FOURTH SEASON WHERE :shakefist: )
ST: Voyager (shut up)
Pete & Pete
Salute Your Shorts
All That (when it was good)
Roundhouse (I don't know why, but I used to LOVE Roundhouse)
GI Joe
Transformers
Mr. T - The Animated Series (yes, this was real)
Iron Man (They had an animated series but I only remember a few episodes)
I also used to love reading the Henry Huggins and Quimby family books, basically the bulk of Beverly Cleary's works.  I loved reading about the everyday adventures of these kids and their families.  So good. 
Also the Great Brain books by John Dennis Fitzgerald.  It really struck me in an interesting way when they talked about Abie Glassman, the Jewish traveling merchant, and how he
Spoiler:
died of starvation because nobody would buy from a Jew or help him out, despite the town being tolerant of Mormons and other Christian denominations
.  Otherwise it was a really, really unique series of books about life in turn-of-the-century Utah. 

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
Yukon Trail
You know, I thought I was the only one who had ever played this. I only managed to actually get enough gold to strike it rich by the game's standards two or three times, though. I should try finding it and running through once for nostalgia's sake.  :V

As for everything else, it seems to have been covered in the topic already. SWAT Kats, Magic School Bus, All That, everything Pokemon, etc. I recall having a Gargoyles board game that was complicated as all hell years and years ago, too. Even remember the first videogame I ever played and beat, Kirby's Adventure.

...But if I really want to go far back and pull out something, I can bring out this.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

qyot27

• Surreptitious moon rabbit
  • Counting Blue Cars
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 07:41:45 AM »
The Disney Afternoon, starting around the time TaleSpin premiered, although we were already watching Chip and Dale, DuckTales, and The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.  Stopped really watching it after Bonkers was finished.  Rack up most Disney movies from before they made Tarzan too.

The Wuzzles.  Mostly from VHS tapes my grandparents made whenever the cable company would have a free weekend of the Disney Channel.

3-2-1 Contact, Bill Nye, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (the game show one on PBS), Beakman's World, Power Rangers (from the very first episode of MMPR, too; I was in 2nd grade), Masked Rider, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad (now that one's a bit embarrassing to admit), the new Land Of The Lost...and even Saved By The Bell, since it aired on Saturday mornings after the big cartoon blocks.  Legends of the Hidden Temple too.  Several other normal sitcoms would be included too, mainly from watching with family.  Fresh Prince, Wings, Cheers, The Nanny, Mad About You, Seinfeld, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Full House, etc.

Star Trek TNG, during its original run.  I was watching both Star Trek and Star Wars when I was 5 or 6.  In pretty deep back then too, but it really faded after I got older.  Never cared nearly as much about DS9 or Voyager.  One particular thing I recall is the 5-episode marathon leading up to the series' finale, and the absolute ton of Blue Man Group ads for the original Pentium processor (and "Beef.  It's What's For Dinner." ads).

TMNT, Tiny Toons, Transformers Generation 2 (didn't catch the originals until later), ReBoot, SWAT Kats, Mega Man, Spider Man The Animated Series, Garfield and Friends, The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show, Marvel Power Hour (i.e., Iron Man & Fantastic Four), Tazmania, Super Mario Bros. Super Show, some really vague memories of The BOTS Master (so vague, in fact, that I know I never really watched it, I was simply *aware* of it) and Captain N The Game Master, Hammerman, Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters, both of the Sonic incarnations ('Adventures of' and SatAM), The Tick, Inspector Gadget, The Smurfs, The Snorks, Scooby Doo, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Jetsons, Flintstone Kids, Godzilla (the 70s one... "up from the depths, 30 stories high..."), Muppet Babies, The Chipmunks, Captain Planet, Exosquad, the USA Network series of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Wing Commander...

Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue, which I do distinctly remember airing on the local stations at like 6AM even though Wikipedia claims the special was only broadcast once.  It really has to be seen to be believed.  The anti-drug message was hardly the reason most kids wanted to watch it, and the premise kind of makes you think the producers were on drugs at the time.

With anime I didn't really become aware of it until I was older.  Remember seeing G-Force and the stuff on Sci-Fi's Saturday Anime block (secretly with the Sci-Fi aired stuff, though; but Gall Force, 8 Man After, and Dominion Tank Police stick out in particular)  Watched Sailor Moon when I was 10, same with Samurai Pizza Cats and some of the really early episodes of Dragon Ball Z.  Followed it up with Voltron when Toonami started the following Spring (and Thundercats, but that's not anime).  Same deal with Robotech, Gundam Wing, and my awareness of Tenchi Muyo!.  I was in middle school by this point, though.

Games-wise, it's always been Mario, Sonic, Mega Man (Classic and X, Zero and ZX by extension years later), Metroid, R-Type.  And I haven't strayed from any of them, either.  Didn't care for 3D games when the N64 came out, and I still only like a few games of that sort, like Crash Bandicoot.

Sality

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 06:11:45 AM »
... Just for Sonic. Yeah. Didn't expect that, did you?

If You actually refer to Sonic X,

then .. brofist!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
Samurai Pizza Cats, Mon Colle Knights, and Flint the Time Detective were the pinnacles of Fox/Fox-affiliate anime. SPC is one of my favorite shows of all time, and I still watch episodes every once in a while. Some of them are even in RealPlayer format! The 4Kids version of Escaflowne was also incredible for how insanely awful and everywhere it was.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
The amount of acknowledgement SPC is getting is great. I thought I was the only one on the planet who knew about it for the longest time. Made middle school worthwhile.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16