Author Topic: Franchises you loved as a kid  (Read 18591 times)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
Franchises you loved as a kid
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:01:58 AM »
Generally speaking, elementary school or younger. Mainly cartoons, but we can discuss comics, video games, and other stuff too.

I think one of my early favorite franchises was Dragon Tales. Man, that was an amazing show. I bet the Dragon Scale was a hallucinogen or something, though.
Xiaolin Showdown came a while after. It had great jokes. I watched every episode. But now that I think about it, the fight scenes weren't that good.

Also, anyone ever like 4Kids before you knew they were dubbing?
It's funny how it was so easy to wake up early on Saturday back then.

JT

Re: Franchises you loved as a kid
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
Transformers, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles. The sacred triad.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
The magic schoolbus.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:39:58 AM »
I never really got into those kids targeted things. It was pretty much star trek (not wars) from day 1 for me. I didn't exactly HATE many of them, but I pretty much always preferred playing videogames rather than simply watching videos.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:59:19 AM »
Rugrats, man I loved Rugrats as a kid.  And Doug and Rocko and pretty much everything else from Nickelodeon.  Especially Rugrats though.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:30:33 AM »
Power Rangers, oh my god. I technically wasn't allowed to watch them, but my parents didn't care much for enforcing that as I grew up-- not late enough for me to catch Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, but I'm pretty sure I started watching it religiously around Power Rangers in Space (I also had a massive third-grade crush on the Red and Silver rangers back then, too). Of course, Digimon and Pokemon, and my first taste of Sailor Moon as well.

I also watched a handful of Fox Kids series that were pitifully short-lived, like Mad Jack the Pirate and Angela Anaconda, and also Mystic Knights of Tir-Na-Nog, which was the best thing in the world (I distinctly remember screaming at the characters to use their magical gauntlets more often so they wouldn't be as dependent on their measly weapons). Things like CyberSix, Monster Rancher (the anime, yes), Escaflowne (before it disappeared for some reason), all kinds of stuff. Didn't watch much of Transformers proper, but I was obsessive about seeing every episode of Beast Wars while it was still airing. I was an enormous fan of cartoons when I was a kid. I think I still have some Fox Kids magazines buried somewhere in my bookshelf, hahahah.

Oh, and Wishbone was on PBS, not Fox Kids, but I watched the hell out of that too.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:26 AM »
The magic schoolbus.
Rugrats, man I loved Rugrats as a kid.  And Doug and Rocko and pretty much everything else from Nickelodeon.  Especially Rugrats though.
Of course, Digimon and Pokemon
Oh, and Wishbone

All of these.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
Reboot (WHY DOES NO-ONE KNOW THIS SHOW), Sonic (not SatAM), Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors (not CCS, fucking CARDCAPTORS).

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »
Reboot (WHY DOES NO-ONE KNOW THIS SHOW), Sonic (not SatAM), Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors (not CCS, fucking CARDCAPTORS).

I knew reboot, didn't really like that one either though. Kinda sorta reminds me of quantum leap.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »
Magical Drop 3.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
Basically all of the closet furry cartoons on Disney Afternoon.

C&D RR being the best of the best.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
Basically PBS's lineup.

Magic School Bus, Arthur, Mister Rogers, Sesame Street, Wishbone, Reading Rainbow, Bill Nye the Science Guy.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
Voltron (the lions one, not the cars one), Star Blazers, Speed Racer, and Battle of the Planets took up most of my Saturday mornings.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Nickelodeon~

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Transformers, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles. The sacred triad.
The magic schoolbus.
Power Rangers

Oh, and Wishbone was on PBS, not Fox Kids, but I watched the hell out of that too.

All of these. And Super Pig. Me and my sisters watched the whole series on Fox Kids. Even though they were like in highschool back then...

I watched Jay Jay the Jet plane, Clifford and Arthur, too.

Reboot (WHY DOES NO-ONE KNOW THIS SHOW)

I FREAKING LOVED THAT SHOW!
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
Sonic.

:(

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
I didn't get to see many Saturday morning cartoons when I was younger for various reasons, but I distinctly remember and love the Kids'WB stuff my local broadcaster reaired like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Batman, and Freakazoid. There were also a lot of Canadian children's shows that I enjoyed, such as Mr. Dressup and Theodore Tugboat.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »
Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Batman, and Freakazoid.

I can't believe I forgot about these!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »
Agh... I've got too many to name.

Some of the more notable ones though were Reboot, Rugrats, Digimon, Pokemon (mainly Kanto episodes), Medabots, Bill Nye, and Wishbone.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Zoids. I was nuts for Zoids.

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
Zoids was my life. But let's talk about EARLIER

http://youtu.be/WRfYbdREk_s Did you guys drink these?

http://youtu.be/I7G0o8z7ODg Green Ranger should do more PSA's.

http://youtu.be/nZH6YKmtQV8 Anyone remember this commercial?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
Bill Nye was a huge favorite of mine. I loved every minute of every show. TMNT was also huge.

For video games, Final Fantasy and to a much lesser extent, Breath of Fire. Final Fantasy was a huge favorite of mine from the age of 7 and I loved it well into college.

For Nickelodeon stuff, Doug and Kablam were huge. Doug I only really understood a bit after its run, but Kablam was non-stop fun from the start.

For superheroes, the '90's Batman and Spiderman animated series were great. Both are still my favorite superheroes.
Basically all of the closet furry cartoons on Disney Afternoon.

C&D RR being the best of the best.
Back when the word "furry" never referred to anything beyond what a pet cat or dog was and everything like this on TV was only anthropomorphic. I was a particularly big fan of C&D, Ducktales, and Darkwing Duck.

In terms of anime, which I started picking up around the start of adolescence, there was Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Samurai Pizza Cats. Love for the first two has fallen by the wayside, but anything that reminds me of Samurai Pizza Cats is hugely nostalgic. Watching any bit of it on youtube after so long only seems to have increased its charms now that I know the story behind it. Not to mention that EVERYTHING in it is intended to be a joke in the first place!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
For Nickelodeon stuff, Doug and Kablam were huge. Doug I only really understood a bit after its run, but Kablam was non-stop fun from the start.

Damn. Kablam is so nostalgic~

Videogame-wise, it's mostly Mario for me. The one reason I'm not a hardcore game is because games are so expensive here. But whatever Mario game there was available, was a Mario game that we had.  :3

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
Eastern animation: Watched DBZ a bit as well, but wasn't really appealed by its ultra-flashy animations, ridiculously long plot, and cheesy lines (go dubs). Sailor Moon was more funny than anything, thanks to the work of the censorship localization team. Did watch Digimon and Cardcaptors as well, but not much to remember from either.

Western animation: Whatever was on Cartoon Network...liked Dexter's Laboratory, Cow & Chicken, and especially Looney Tunes. Never followed Nickelodeon (except for maybe one or two Invader Zim episodes), but my younger cousins, while they were staying in the US, would watch Little Bear on that channel. As for Fox Kids, I remember watching Power Rangers and Spiderman often, and for KidsWB it was mostly Pokemon and maybe something else.

Other Western shows: Rarely watched PBS, so any Wishbone, Mr. Rogers, and even Sesame Street references will probably fall deaf on my ears. Also have no idea why Bill Nye is popular among my US peers, and I don't want an explanation.

Games: Sonic, definitely. Started with R and then Adventure. Also played a lot of Daytona USA on both Saturn and arcade, which helped secure a love for Sega racers and OSTs.

Movies: Lots of Disney ones, but my favourite was Toy Story. Watched that so many times and yet I keep noticing new things in it. Also liked Star Wars: EP1 when I saw it in theatre.

By US standards it looks like I tried hard to fit in with the locals and failed miserably. Not that I mind! BV
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:49:24 PM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 12:59:29 AM »
Too many to really list. But, I'll go with the ones that haven't been mentioned...

Arthur, Angry Beavers, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, CatDog, Goof Troop, Flint the Time Detective (one of my first animes, I think), Eek the Cat...and that's all I can really recall...
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 01:13:15 AM »
My goodness, you guys are going to kill me with nostalgia at this pace.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 01:46:11 AM »
Just going to list them down even though some of these were already mentioned, because I'm too lazy to quote everything: Reboot (oh dear~), The Magic Schoolbus, Digimon (in Cantonese!), Power Rangers (especially Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which I had VHS tapes of), Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, The Animaniacs, er, what else. I distinctly recall watching CCS and a bunch of other older anime, but they were dubbed in Cantonese. I don't know if I should count Kaleido Star and Di Gi Charat. I'd also go on to include a lot of the older mecha anime as well such as Voltron (see Ammy), Voltes V, Combattler V, etc.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 02:49:17 AM »
My childhood was mostly filled with Cardcaptor Sakura (in Spanish!), Pokemon, Mario, and Neopets.

:*
How could I forget

edit: Holy shit I accidentally posted Cardcaptor Sakuya :getdown:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 03:04:31 AM by Paper_Kogasa »

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »
Thomas The Tank Engine. That show is responsible for my love of trains and model train sets.

The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin.

Inspector Gadget.

SWAT Kats.

Batman: The Animated Series.
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.