Author Topic: Minecraft - The block building thread  (Read 159461 times)

Minecraft - The block building thread
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
Old Thread, also explains what is Minecraft

I haven't seen a lot of people talk about this game lately on the forums, and I thought it might be befitting to bring the discussion back up.

I'm bored with the game myself right now! I've done everything possible! From making a cobblestone tower going from the lowest level to the sky to fighting creepers in lava.

Anyone has any mods/servers that make the game interesting? Most of mine are broken now due to the recent 1.5 update :3

And what does everyone think of the recent additions to the game, such as wolves, the achievement system, and weather?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: Minecraft - The block building thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
Argh, haven't gotten around to 1.5 due to reality, TF2, and Touhou GTA.

I don't play MP so I'm not very knowledgeable on mods. Plan to start on it sooner or later.

I like the wolves and the paint crafting system, personally. Beats TF2 hat-crafting any day! :D

Now if only performance can be better optimized, especially for those of us with god-awful Intel GPUs....
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
Argh, haven't gotten around to 1.5 due to reality, TF2, and Touhou GTA.

I don't play MP so I'm not very knowledgeable on mods. Plan to start on it sooner or later.

I like the wolves and the paint crafting system, personally. Beats TF2 hat-crafting any day! :D

Now if only performance can be better optimized, especially for those of us with god-awful Intel GPUs....

The wolves are fun, so are the wool dyes. Does anyone have a strategy to keep your wolves alive though? Mine always die from long falls or lava :ohdear:

Gc

• youtu.be/pRZpjlrKM8A
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »
Cannot happen from Mojang, unless they port their Java game to DirectX (AKA lose support for Linux and Mac)

It's Intel that craps on OpenGL support.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »
You should probably use a mod like Optimine that would increase your performance by about 15 FPS.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:28:24 AM »
Cannot happen from Mojang, unless they port their Java game to DirectX (AKA lose support for Linux and Mac)

It's Intel that craps on OpenGL support.
I'm aware that Intel drivers are deliberately DirectX optimized. Also I have heard that the HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 series have significantly better OpenGL performance, but those need a newer system.
Though it's strange that Cube 2 (another heavily OpenGL-based game, and more GPU-intensive while at that) doesn't choke up nearly as much....

You should probably use a mod like Optimine that would increase your performance by about 15 FPS.
Been there, done that, failed.

Fortunately my MacBook Pro and its lousy NVIDIA GPU (9400M) is able to handle the game at 50-60FPS on Fancy and Normal, so not too much is lost.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
I'm aware that Intel drivers are deliberately DirectX optimized. Also I have heard that the HD Graphics 2000 and 3000 series have significantly better OpenGL performance, but those need a newer system.
Though it's strange that Cube 2 (another heavily OpenGL-based game, and more GPU-intensive while at that) doesn't choke up nearly as much....
Been there, done that, failed.

Fortunately my MacBook Pro and its lousy NVIDIA GPU (9400M) is able to handle the game at 50-60FPS on Fancy and Normal, so not too much is lost.

How come it failed?

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »
None of the servers I go on are updating to 1.5. 'Tis quite a bit annoying.

The only one that has is laggy as all cripe and keeps deleting its own map every night. >_>

Otherwise I'm likin' everything so far.

Jes_Isaive

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:26 AM »
I kinda lost intrest in this game. Maybe if I find a multiplayer server, or actually decide to stop being lazy and finish that mansion, I might get back into this game.
Spoiler:
I started it 2 months ago it probably isn't happening.
[/size]
Also I still haven't found a single wolf what the hell.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:00:11 AM »
I made I tree house village and that about it.
I still need to buy an account.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:04:06 AM »
I still play the game quite a bit. Singleplayer, though. I started a new world that will prove to be quite interesting.

Wolves are slightly more common in 1.5 than when they were first introduced. They used to only be in snowy areas, but now they can spawn anywhere above ground.
About keeping pet wolves alive.... They'll continue to follow you until you tell them to "sit". (right click on them) This is useful if you tame many, but only want a few to come with you on journeys, as well as keeping them out of danger while you go mine some tricky ore. Their health is pretty much dictated by their tail. The higher up it is, the more health they have. You can restore health by giving them porkchops. (not sure if cooked or raw matters)

Anyway, the powered rail and detector rail from 1.5 have really sped up my railroad construction. The weather effects are really cool too.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »
Actually, the performance was optimalized a little in the 1.5 patch, though I don't know, because I haven't updated from 1.3_01 yet - still waiting for mods to update. I myself do this to richen the game: I have the Book Mod installed, what gives a new item, the Writable Book. I decided to write a kind of diary, where I'm someone from another world, who was exiled for his crimes to this land by the Arcane Academy, even if he was actually innocent. In this other world, he suddenly noticed that an unseen magical aura causes him a very strong urge to build things he doesn't need, and also fills his head with knowledge how to build them. He is now building a large Cathedral, but he swears, when he's done, he'll start exploring again. Right now, there are a number of mods installed, and some stuff I haven't even built yet, so much stuff I added, like Planes or IndustrialCraft. As soon as this project is done, I'll start exploring, and adding new, random generating mods, like Battle Towers, Ruins, Great Wall, and finally Millinaire, so as the Builder (as I call the my character) explores the world, he finds more and more stuff about the world and why he's actually there.

Not to mention, all the new stuff when the Aether mod is released along with the updated nether mod what comes with it.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
I still play minecraft regularly. I seem to enjoy the updates that come in, though I will admit it has gotten buggy after a bit.

Course the one thing I would like to add from this is that this may change soon.

I wonder how many of you took notice of the events that took place yesterday on Notch's blog and twitter.

Where he tried to propose a deal in place of doing modding API (since he decided to drop it for some reason). The deal was he was going to tell modder that if they wanted to mod minecraft. They would have to "pay for a liscense" to be allowed to use the source code. While this probably didn't matter to most people, it did make the modding community upset as well as other people. And pretty much they got on Notch in his twitter and reddit account for trying to attempt to pull a Kotick on them until he evetually caved in and decided to just let the scouce code go for free.

For once the community seem to have gotten Notch to change his routes. Cause I sware, if he really did something like this, it would have spelled distater for all those lovely minecraft modders since 90-95% would turn tail and leave. :P

But that's all not that happened that day. The community also got Notch's attention about the gigantic bug list that one the wiki (that he apperently didn't know about) containing bugs that exsisted since the early Alpha days.

So Notch (since he's currently working alone on minecraft since he asked Jens to work on the new project) is going to likely turn 1.6 into mainly a bug fixing project. Though he also plans to add maps in the upcoming version as well. Just thought it be worth putting out this information since I found that day amusing since he got told and alterted on something he has no clue about (I'm susprired he wasn't aware of the bugs from the past, but apperently he use to only check his twitter for bug reports and feedback)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:29:12 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Youkai of Tea

• Faith and Tea.
  • And TeaFairies.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »
If you are bored with minecraft try Biomemod because the vanilla generator is pretty terrible, it will generate gigantic empty plains and lakes all over the place.

It might be a bit tricky to figure out what does what but you should be able to figure these out with a bit of testing.

You can spend some time with this mod and finetune settings to get really great worlds in minecraft. For example, I changed the generator to create a huge ocean and midsized islands with huge amounts of trees. Below these islands there are a lot of long cavesystems that connect each island.

Keep in mind that this mod is still not updated because the coder lost his harddrive so it might take a while until it's updated. It still works with 1.4 if you decided not to update for the sake of mods.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 02:08:14 AM »
If you are bored with minecraft try Biomemod because the vanilla generator is pretty terrible, it will generate gigantic empty plains and lakes all over the place.

It might be a bit tricky to figure out what does what but you should be able to figure these out with a bit of testing.

You can spend some time with this mod and finetune settings to get really great worlds in minecraft. For example, I changed the generator to create a huge ocean and midsized islands with huge amounts of trees. Below these islands there are a lot of long cavesystems that connect each island.

Keep in mind that this mod is still not updated because the coder lost his harddrive so it might take a while until it's updated. It still works with 1.4 if you decided not to update for the sake of mods.

I tried to use this mod a while ago, and it didn't do much difference for me. I'd need help setting it up. The reasons I'm getting bored lately are this;

1. Lack of danger(Can dig 2 down and put a block over your head and you are safe from everything)
2. Lack of things to build to fill a building

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
Actually I've been looking at that BiomeMod, however it seems it only works for new worlds and not for newly generated chunks in an old world, because I want to use the same one I'm using. But if it works with old worlds, then do tell me so.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
Minecraft is a game about making your own fun. If you run out of ideas, you'll be bored, naturally - it's not like a normal game where you always know what you're supposed to be doing. Although saying "I can just dig a hole and cover it and I'll be safe from all danger" is like saying "I can start up Metroid and never move, and I won't die." Sure, it's true, but it's kind of missing the point.

Go exploring, see if nature creates any weird structures (like Thumbs-up Mountain), and if not, build your own. If you run out of ideas to build, it just means you're not thinking hard enough. Use your imagination and just have fun!

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
I try not to spend to much time in Minecraft. If I do I'll never stop building and like 10 hours will go by.
I use build mods and play on peaceful so ye.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I installed the fancy pack(It's a mod), it allows me to place furniture like tables and plant pots, suddenly, building is a lot more fun x3

draganuv15

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
I say we all get Fancypack and see who can make the nicest house! and someone open a multiplayer server exclusive to members of this very forum!
coz i'm bored :V

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
Edited a Hina skin I found on the interwebs

Original Skin:
http://i.imgur.com/V0452.png

Modified skin:

http://i.imgur.com/udVut.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mfn6e.jpg

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
and someone open a multiplayer server exclusive to members of this very forum!
coz i'm bored :V

I want to see a Motk server. I really haven't played Minecraft lately because I think it's boring to play alone and I want to go to a multiplayer server that I would like to come often.

And I think one of the latest patches improved the performance of the game. I used to get 10 - 20 fps and now I get 40 - 50 fps.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
I want to see a Motk server. I really haven't played Minecraft lately because I think it's boring to play alone and I want to go to a multiplayer server that I would like to come often.

And I think one of the latest patches improved the performance of the game. I used to get 10 - 20 fps and now I get 40 - 50 fps.

Some things to consider;

We will need to pay for a dedicated server that will be sufficient.

We will also need to settle on what mods we use on a platform like Bukkit

We also need to decide what to do with the mobs, MC V1.5 has terrible lag issues with a lot of mobs on the map.

Oh, and unlike most servers, we need to find a way to keep our maps.

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
As much as i would love to see a motk minecraft server i know that it won't happen. I asked in the thread at Genji's battle Arena and and got the answer that is wont happen.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
As much as i would love to see a motk minecraft server i know that it won't happen. I asked in the thread at Genji's battle Arena and and got the answer that is wont happen.

How come? I'm not relying on the admins to manage a Minecraft server. It's not in their spectrum of operation.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
I've been watching some videos lately of a Minecraft server where they issue a theme challenge and some of they stuff they make there are really amazing.

Old West

Far East

Minekraft Kombat

Underwater
(episodes are like 2 hours long each)

I know we won't be able to do these kinds of things, but it would be nice to be able to share the stuff you make with other people or work together to make something.

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
How come? I'm not relying on the admins to manage a Minecraft server. It's not in their spectrum of operation.
I didn't mean it like that. What i meant is that they won't host a MotK minecraft server on one if the MotK servers.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
I didn't mean it like that. What i meant is that they won't host a MotK minecraft server on one if the MotK servers.

That's why I said we'd have to get a dedicated, however, I'm pretty sucky at knowing how much they cost :>

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:13 PM »
It'd cost more than it'd be worth. Minecraft is horrendously inefficient.

Think about it, if TSO's server can't handle it, then a server that can would cost more than the one necessary to run MotK D:

i.e. probably looking at around a hundred bucks a month. Why do you think every server wants donations?

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
It'd cost more than it'd be worth. Minecraft is horrendously inefficient.

Think about it, if TSO's server can't handle it, then a server that can would cost more than the one necessary to run MotK D:

i.e. probably looking at around a hundred bucks a month. Why do you think every server wants donations?

Because racketing people like a mafia is fun.

I paid 25$ on a server to have griefer protection, only to have the admin change the map a few weeks later because he "didn't like the creeper holes on the map", and then when I called him a griefer when he refused to move my stuff after asking 5 times(Like the shrine I built), he banned me, that was money well spent. That's ironic, considering I paid not to have my stuff destroyed, money well fucking spent.

In a nutshell: Do not pay for donations, it's a sham in most cases.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:01:31 PM by Sefam »