Author Topic: Arisu Geas: An Extraction-Contraption Expedition  (Read 98617 times)

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
Re: Arisu Geas: An Extraction-Contraption Expedition
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
>Check "Gensokyo's Tech Boom."

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2010, 01:44:57 AM »
>Check "Gensokyo's Tech Boom."

>
Quote from: Gensokyo's Tech Boom
The past few months have seen incredible leaps forward in the technology of Gensokyo, through the slow acceptance of outer-world science and the application of magic to produce comparable alternatives to the comforts of home outside. There are conservative roadbumps, of course, but things are progressing explosively, and it's an excellent example of how the outer world has helped Gensokyo develop. The recent completion and rapid spread of blender and mince spells is a shining example of how outer-world ideas can be implemented effectively while making use of the magic of Gensokyo. To say nothing, of course, of the rapid implementation and development of the internet, with universal broadband in the Human Village, highly-used T3 lines to both the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Eintei, and the ensuing influx of knowledge from all of the outer world. Gensokyo is expanding and improving itself at a wonderous pace. We must embrace the wonders of these changes and follow through with them to advance Gensokyo to the best world it can be.

- Honoka Taiko
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the Bunbunmaru.

>_
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
> How many of these terms do we recognize?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2010, 02:37:26 AM »
> How many of these terms do we recognize?

>You understand most of it, despite the fancy language, but there are two parts that are confusing.
>You don't know what a 'blender' is, but you know 'mincing' is a way to prepare food - presumably it's another preparation method? But why spells?
>And this 'internet' has always been a bit of a mystery to you. You've heard fanboys talk about it fairly often in the past, but you never exactly sought out a thorough explanation. Given the enthusiasm they had about it and the seemingly all-knowing nature of 'the internet,' your best guess would it being some sort of deity of the outer world common among the fanboys. But that doesn't explain 'broadband' or 'T3' in any capacity - maybe those are priest titles or something? No, that still doesn't make sense...

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 02:53:06 AM »
> Damnit, we're falling behind the times. Soon we'll be the country bumpkin. Hopefully Marisa's equally oblivious to some of this shit.
> Not that we're going to ask these two for any help.
> Check out "Body Found on Youkai Mountain".

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:55 AM »
> Damnit, we're falling behind the times. Soon we'll be the country bumpkin. Hopefully Marisa's equally oblivious to some of this shit.
> Not that we're going to ask these two for any help.
> Check out "Body Found on Youkai Mountain".

>You've fallen behind on events during other hiatuses like this, but it was never THIS bad... maybe shooing Marisa away when she tried to visit was a bad idea? Tsundere jokes and fanboy gossip fodder aside, at least...
>You get the feeling you'll be able to find a more respectable source to get updates from than this duo.

>You flip back to the Gensokyo News segment and read through what's probably the most newsworthy article in the paper:

Quote from: Body Found on Youkai Mountain
At 7:14 PM Thursday, the body of an unidentified male was found in the Cattail Gully of Youkai Mountain. He was killed by falling off of the side of the mountain sometime in the past three days. If you know the identity of this young man, or any further information about his death, please report it to the Tengu Patrol. The Bunbunmaru staff would like to remind all readers that cannot fly to be very careful when traveling in hilly areas! Even friendly fairies can forget whether pushing you off a cliff is a safe prank!

>The article is accompanied by a photograph of the face of a young man with pale-colored hair, lying on a riverbank. His facial structure doesn't quite look... local. And he's definitely unfamiliar.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 03:35:32 AM »
> Oh, right, the outsiders can't fly, can they? Shame. Oh well.
> Let's see, what else is here...
> Power Outage...and Fever? Sounds vaguely like that dancing oarfish youkai woman from when the red-white's shrine got knocked over. Might be worth looking into.
> Nightbird's Roost, probably a Mystia story. Eh.
> Don't care about China.
> Don't care about maids.
> ...the hell is a 'meme'?
> Flower Power Hour, could be worth looking into just to get brownie points with Yuuka.
> Cirno story? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pass.
> Mima? Mima? Wow, that's a name we haven't heard in ages. Didn't she die or something? Whatever, who cares.

> Peruse Power Outage Cut Short By Fever. Could be good to learn more about that oarfish youkai.

« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2010, 04:05:59 AM »
Frying pan enchanted as a weapon

Say what?
Oh well, it clashes with our established fighting style anyway.

>Blog of Knowledge? Patchouli's already involved with this internet thing? I didn't think she was religious.
>Dishwashing with magic, huh? dolls aren't very good with water, so we might want to look into that one as well.

>Stomach growls
>We should ask to pay for the foodstand coupon. We're going to want it.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2010, 04:18:25 AM »
> Oh, right, the outsiders can't fly, can they? Shame. Oh well.
> Let's see, what else is here...
> Power Outage...and Fever? Sounds vaguely like that dancing oarfish youkai woman from when the red-white's shrine got knocked over. Might be worth looking into.
> Nightbird's Roost, probably a Mystia story. Eh.
> Don't care about China.
> Don't care about maids.
> ...the hell is a 'meme'?
> Flower Power Hour, could be worth looking into just to get brownie points with Yuuka.
> Cirno story? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pass.
> Mima? Mima? Wow, that's a name we haven't heard in ages. Didn't she die or something? Whatever, who cares.

> Peruse Power Outage Cut Short By Fever. Could be good to learn more about that oarfish youkai.

>You think the same sort of thing happened a few times while you were still paying attention early in their invasion. You're not sure whether the article has any significant meaning to it, or if it was just a slow news day. Or pandering to the fanboys, maybe.

>You review the article titles that caught your eye and write off a few as unnecessary or irrelevant, at least for the time being. And the Nightbird and ATAI advertisements.
>The local news power outage sounds sane enough to be worth reading, though:

Quote from: Power Outage Cut Short by Fever
The Human Village electricity blackout Tuesday night was ended ahead of schedule by a philanthropic visit by Iku Nagae, the increasingly-famous dancing envoy of the dragon palace.

"I saw the lights in the village go out when I was on my way back to the Palace's island." she said, in an exclusive interview with our reporter, "I remembered that some of the men from the outer world said my lightning would be able to help with that, so I visited to find out what I could do."

As it turned out, an electrifying dance by Miss Nagae was enough to bring the blackout to an end, and maintain electricity through the Human Village for the remaining hour of repairs needed at the river generator.

"I'm very glad my dancing was useful as well as enjoyable." Iku said, after the performance, "But I must return home."

After she left, many outworlders that had watched the dance expressed a desire to visit Heaven to see her again. Sadly, the seeking of Disco Fever may not be enough to bring these dreamers to Heaven.

>Aside from not having a clear understanding of electricity or power generators and how that would relate to the lights going out, this is about what you expected from the article.

>Blog of Knowledge? Patchouli's already involved with this internet thing? I didn't think she was religious.
>Dishwashing with magic, huh? dolls aren't very good with water, so we might want to look into that one as well.

>Stomach growls
>We should ask to pay for the foodstand coupon. We're going to want it.

>You have no idea what a blog is, but if Patchouli's involved in it, she could probably provide a good explanation. Hopefully it hasn't changed her too much...
>Waterproofing isn't that difficult, actually. Especially when you custom-ordered a handful of rust-proof doll arms for a specifically domestic set. Still, how would you pull that off directly...?

>Your stomach lets out a rather unfeminine growl. Shomaru starts to laugh, then claps his hands over his mouth and falls silent, wide-eyed.
>You try to overlook his blatant gaffe for the moment, and ask about the food coupon. He takes a moment to reply, looking rather nervous, but manages to answer, "Three thousand, five hundred."
>You only have ?3,400 left.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:23:26 AM by RosE-mouse »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2010, 04:28:59 AM »
> Recall the usual prices at Mystia's stand.
> Patchouli getting on the internet, eh? Hopefully this means she'll be able to answer some of our questions.
> ...Where did we put Koishi, anyway?

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2010, 04:43:37 AM »
> Recall the usual prices at Mystia's stand.
> Patchouli getting on the internet, eh? Hopefully this means she'll be able to answer some of our questions.
> ...Where did we put Koishi, anyway?

>You've only visited Mystia's stand a handful of times, so you don't really know the exact prices offhand. But you're pretty sure you could get a good meal there for ?2,000 on the high end, probably less. You don't think you'd be able to eat enough to warrant a ?3,500 price tag, even after starving for a week. Well, prices might have changed...

>You and Patchouli aren't the warmest of friends, but with so many shared interests it'd be difficult not to get to know one another. Actually making visits with your personalities, though...

>You left Koishi's bottle on the countertop next to the paper when you started reading. She has her face pressed up to the side, peering down at the articles.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:28 AM »
> To Koishi: "See anything good?"

Zakeri, how's that price looking for you? I want to make sure we have enough money to get extra fabric, so I don't want to blow it all here.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:52 AM »
> To Koishi: "See anything good?"

>"What's the meme of the week?" she asks, curiously. "And what do people do at the maid cafe?"
>Shomaru bites his lower lip for a moment.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2010, 05:04:40 AM »
> "The meme of last week appears to be 'Get Down'."
> Do we have any idea what this is?
> Stare at Shomaru.
> "Would you like to answer her other question?"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
> "The meme of last week appears to be 'Get Down'."
> Do we have any idea what this is?
> Stare at Shomaru.
> "Would you like to answer her other question?"

>"Well, what's it about?" Koishi asks, smearing her nose against the glass a bit as she tries to look.
>Not a clue.

>The fanboy at the counter balks under your stare. "Uh, well..."
>"It's a stupid fanboy thing." Reidman calls over, "It's more embarrassing than anything."
>"Well yeah, but what do you do?" Koishi presses, a mischievous smile on her face.
>"That... would probably depend on what sort of maid cafe it is."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2010, 05:41:36 AM »
> "I wonder if I really want to learn about such a thing."
> "This 'meme' sounds rather harmless, though."
> Sure, why not. Making Koishi happy may get us more of what we want out of her.
> Flip to the Meme article.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »
> "I wonder if I really want to learn about such a thing."
> "This 'meme' sounds rather harmless, though."
> Sure, why not. Making Koishi happy may get us more of what we want out of her.
> Flip to the Meme article.

>"Probably not, yeah." Reidman agrees.

>Memes themselves may be harmless, but some of the things Marisa's done to mock you and calling them 'memes' from the fanboys have been rather aggravating. Apparently 'Alice is tsundere' is a 'meme,' and she mocked you a fair bit about that. Sadly, there was no easy way to dispel the idea...

>Regardless, you flip over to the "Meme of the Week: Get Down" article, and move the paper so the article can be easily read by Koishi.
>Would you like to read along with her, or leave her to it?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2010, 06:25:20 AM »
> Read along with her. The last thing we need is another embarrassment we don't know is coming.

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2010, 06:28:22 AM »
>Do we know what the term "tsundere" means?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »
>Have a look at those academy and overpopulation articles, too.

« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
>To be honest, I'd rather chance going to Mystia's without the coupon, rather than spend all of our money on it. I vehemently disagree with what Kilgamayan's trying to do, but I am on the same page as far as not spending too much money.
>Read the Meme article. It might help us find out what a Meme is.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
I wouldn't normally do it but it fits the character.

(Also I more or less figured Maus would see it coming and thus probably be more receptive to it than most. >_> Not to say it'll be easy, of course - I expect a lot of resistance from both parser and fellow players to get this done.)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
And bastards like me who might ruin it at any time for the laughs.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
And yes, there is that too.

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to say anything.

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
I wouldn't normally do it but it fits the character.

Consider this an official declaration of war, as far as the boob-job goes.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
I'm very aware of what Alice is and isn't. I claimed this sidequest fits the character operating with the Alice presented to us at the beginning of the game. Note how I have been properly bitchy when necessary, both internally and externally (aside from having fun with Koishi), and that at no time did Marisa enter my thought process when deciding to do this.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:19 PM »

Consider this an official declaration of war, as far as the boob-job goes.

Oh hey, another thing that neglects she's canonically tsundere, too. (IN stage 1)

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »
>Do we know what the term "tsundere" means?

>Yes. Marisa explained that fairly clearly to make sure that her teasing got through. Apparently it's a twisted form of romance popular among the fanboys, where one of the lovers acts cold, distant, or hostilely 'tsun' most of the time, to conceal the submissively affectionate 'dere' they don't want to admit to.
>Unfortunately, this also means that repeated denials of it have accomplished nothing, as they can be interpreted as fitting right into the model.

>To be honest, I'd rather chance going to Mystia's without the coupon, rather than spend all of our money on it. I vehemently disagree with what Kilgamayan's trying to do, but I am on the same page as far as not spending too much money.

>Unless lamprey is somehow nearly impossible to find now, you doubt that Mystia would have any reason to increase her prices substantially - it'd probably be much cheaper to just go and pay for the amount you eat, unless you somehow grow two extra stomachs. But that doesn't explain why an all-you-can-eat coupon would be so expensive... and why does it specify 'fourthmeal?'

> Read along with her. The last thing we need is another embarrassment we don't know is coming.
>Read the Meme article. It might help us find out what a Meme is.

Quote from: Meme of the Week: Get Down

"Get Down" or "Geddan" is a popular music-dance meme that started from a glitch in Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64, where people in the game spun around spasmodically in midair. (sm602860) The video was soon put to a short part of Hirose Kohmi's "Promise," a Japanese song from the outer world (sm689476), and the two were later combined into a hand-drawn dance video of futaba's beloved Mona dancing in much the same style (sm4946055), titled "☆GEDDAN☆" after the first two English words used.

This hand-animated version took off as a true meme, spawning dozens of imitations, both collections of live-action still shots and image animations. Naturally, works based on the Touhou crew were a significant part of this move, and a simplistically-drawn but well-made video of the kappa engineer Nitori Kawashiro (pictured, nm5374848) was among the most popular of the videos. Now everybody, Get Down!

>The article is accompanied by a photo, that looks more like some sort of well-made painting than an actual person. Is that what Nitori looks like?
>You really don't understand much of this one. Video? Glitch? Nintendo? Goldeneye? Futaba? Mona? Live-action? And what are those meaningless numbers for?

>You've taken to defining 'meme' as 'stupid fanboy shit.' The article does little to dispel this perception, but at least it seems more benign than some of the stuff Marisa's sprung on you.

>"Cool!" Koishi says, after finishing the article herself, "Did they make one of me?"
>"I... don't remember seeing one..." Shomaru says, hesitantly.
>Koishi's face falls. "Aww..."
>"Wait." Reidman cuts in, "Wasn't there that one made by the guy who did Smooochireiden?"
>"Oh, yeah! That one! With Satori, right?"
>"Yeah."
>"Yaha! I'll have to see that one!" Koishi cries, grinning happily.

>Have a look at those academy and overpopulation articles, too.

>You rethink the wisdom of disregarding a few of the articles you passed over earlier, and flip over to the Village News segment to start reading there.
>"Whatcha reading now?" Koishi asks, peering down at the paper as you read.

Quote from: Heretical Academy Draws Complaints
The Scientific Studies Academy constructed along the route to the kappa domain has always been controversial, but advertisement fliers put up in town square Wednesday sparked new anger from many locals. The fliers were taken down shortly after their discovery around 5 PM, but emotions ran high both during and after the process.

"It's obscene." one of the villagers removing them fumed, when asked by our reporter, "To come back here and mock us after fleeing to the kappa to practice their heresies is inexcusable!"

Several of the village elders agreed, when asked later that evening. "It is bad enough that we allowed these heretics of science to spread their madness in the first place." Elder Yuzuki said, speaking for a number of the others, "If the kappa are mad enough to let those fanboys turn their backs on the gods and the truth, then they are free to destroy themselves. But to come here to lure our children into their insanity is completely unacceptable."

Others did not oppose the action as strongly. Elder Chouko had a much quieter position on the matter. "I still believe that the outworlders are right about it being better to allow even violently offensive and heretical ideas, to see what good can be made of them or to allow their believers to destroy themselves. We only demanded that the academy be built outside of the village - this is an insensitive action by them, but I do not believe it is necessary to give them much punishment beyond ensuring they never do it again."

Representatives of the Scientific Studies Academy were unavailable for comment when our reporter visited.

Quote from: The Dangers of Overpopulation
The recent influx of humans from outside of Gensokyo has led to many changes - some good, some bad. More importantly, a lot of those changes have had mixed effects: The popularity of people starring in the 'Touhou' series has led both to increased appreciation and comfort for many figures that do deserve it, but also many counts of slander or hostility to others, as well as mixed appreciation for that popularity and attention itself. Science, too, has had its share of problems, leading both to legitimate conflicts and useful inventions. But one issue only seems to receive positive attention: The rapidly increasing number of fanboy outworlders has often been touted as a great boon to Gensokyo, since regardless of their strength or sanity, the sheer number of them allows for enough people to hire them for menial tasks and lighten up the workloads of everyone in Gensokyo - the days of 14-hour farming shifts has, by all accounts, ended. However, the outer world itself shows some of the dangers of such high population: When there are so many people in the same place, especially with many having few skills, a new problem arises in the difficulty of being able to have appropriate work for all of them. While the help with menial tasks is generally appreciated, and there are great benefits to advancing new technologies to improve life for people, after a certain point it becomes difficult to create or find meaningful jobs for some of the population. These cast-offs, unable to find meaningful work out of laziness, lack of skills, or despair, often end up turning to either welfare or theft to survive, which can cause many problems for the working people that they survive off of. While the Myouren Temple's charity to all newcomers is appropriate and appreciated, its generosity is unlikely to be sustainable, and the actual formation of Kotohime's police department is a worrying sign. There is no easy solution to this problem, due to the moral quandaries involved and Yukari's insistence on not letting fanboys leave Gensokyo due to being a security risk, but it is important to openly take it into account before this counter-intuitive subtlety begins contributing to the same problems that the outer world is facing now.

- Midori Natsumi
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors on this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the Bunbunmaru.

>_

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
>Depart the store, making sure to grab Koishi first.
>"So. What is the deal with you and the bottle, exactly?"

« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
>Dey dook yer jerbs!
>But seriously, investigate financial security. :ohdear: