Author Topic: Revelation of Procella [FULL GAME]  (Read 4012 times)

Revelation of Procella [FULL GAME]
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:45:25 AM »
So I've been working on a Danmakufu game for the last summer, and I decided that I'd better share it with some people who know what Touhou is besides my brother. So I logged on here and, well... that's that.

The BGM folder is, like in any Touhou game, several times the size of the rest of the game combined, so I've packaged it separately. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Game files, Mediafire link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?54ym7m5dzekibxg
BGM, Mediafire link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yr1sg916818d7nh
Game files, Bulletforge link:
http://bulletforge.org/u/supreme-gamesmaster-yddisac/p/revelation-of-procella/v/012

I have a small problem in that I'm absolutely impaired at GFX. I can draw on paper, but not on the computer. That's why all bosses have been replaced with Yukari Yakumo, all enemies have been replaced with a yellow fairy, and all players have been replaced with the Sakuya sprites from the tutorial. I'm waiting for someone on the source forum to give me graphics, but if anyone here would like to help... *winkwinknudgenudge* I'm down with writing, though -- script, program, music.

Well, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make fun of my amateurish scripting. I'm well aware that my scripting is horrible (the players, for example, look nice but have awful scripting C/P'd from Blargel's tutorial), no need to rub it in. I'd mainly like ideas on balancing the game and making it more fun from a player's perspective.
Hard and especially Lunatic Modes will be horribly imbalanced due to my not being good enough to actually play those modes. I'll gladly take any advice on this, EXCEPT "make stage 5/6 harder" -- stage-6 Lunatic is supposed to be equal to Extra, so obviously it'll have to be easier than usual. (That said, the Extra is shaping up to be quite a bit tougher than PCB's and MoF's...) Normal Mode is pretty much set, though.

Don't ask why Nantettatte Densetsu is the Last Word theme. It's a loooong story and I can't be bothered to write it, but it involves self-imposed challenges and my reading too much awful fanfiction in one sitting.

This is what I posted on Bulletforge about the game:
Revelation of Procella is an original game with character designs by members of another forum I frequent. It's kewl liek that.

PLEASE READ "readme_procella.rtf" BECAUSE IT IS THE ENCLOSED INSTRUCTION BOOK.

Current version: 0.12
Accomplished:
>ALL boss Spell Cards (er, Artes)
>All boss non-spells except Dendra Lagasa on non-Normal difficulties
>Four players who support an item system
>Stages 1-3 completed on Normal
>Boss Rush mode completed on Normal
>All songs written except Stage 5, Emily's theme, and Procella's theme (see: bgm.rar; Extra Stage theme wasn't enclosed because it was lonely)
>Screenshots available of ALL Artes
>Options easily configured in config.txt
>Manual complete except for Creator Comments
>Save data present for things like Last Words and the Extra Stage, though none of those are done yet
Known bugs:
>"Clash of Souls" doesn't delete Emily A's homing shots properly, so if you're constantly shooting to rack up points, beware of EPIC LAG. The others are fine, for whatever reason.
>The game may lag as it continues -- I fixed an error in memory loading that caused a lot of it, but beware anyway.
>There's a freaky bug on Stage 6 where it might start spawning enemies above the top of the screen long after the wave has ended. I have no idea how it happens, and it's only shown up once, but beware.
>And, of course, the game is rather low-quality, so I'm sure there's more. Sue me.

Next update: 0.13
Hopefully, this will be Accomplished:
>Normal Mode complete
>Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic modes integrated into a single script
>Easy Mode started
>Themes written for Emily and Stage 5
>Manual complete

Next version: 0.2
Hopefully, this will be Accomplished:
>Easy Mode complete
>Extra Stage complete
>Hard Mode begun
>Whole game integrated into a single script
>Graphics implemented, including title screen, player graphics, boss graphics, and enemy graphics
>Last Words installed
>In-game options menu instead of config.txt

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: Revelation of Procella [FULL GAME]
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Fiddled with each shot type for a bit, going with Felicia B as I favor spreadshots. Observations AS THEY HAPPEN

I like to nitpick so Ha ha, old chap! opinions
STAGE 1
- Midboss attack is alright, she oughta move around a bit to make you do the same.
- It seems like you've got the same problem I did, throwing too many of the same enemy in a row at you. Those rainbow circle shot fairies keep coming forever.
- Also you might wanna randomize the starting bullet angle of each circle, I notice that if two of those circle fairies fire when they're close together all of their bullets will be lined up, doesn't look good and it's too easy to dodge.
- Need dialogue cutins to keep track of who's talking since it seems there are like four people at a time. Don't care if you can't draw with a mouse, placeholder MSPaint is better than nothin'.
- First attack is neat, maybe the white bullets should start further out and fan in on you? It'd look a little more dynamic and you should generally be able to see what's happening before it's actually getting shot at you.
- Didn't see the warning laser on Gathering Emotion so I ate a life there, I guess that's my fault though. Made me notice that the game needs sfx. The laser sits around too long, really sucks if it comes out when you're right under her as Felicia since you can't shoot the boss until it goes away.
- Second attack is too easy for how much life it has, drags on.
- I was expecting Chakram Compass to be really irritating as Felicia but it's fine, I guess Emily's homing isn't as strong as I remembered. Still, this is kind of an odd card type for a stage 1 boss to have.
STAGE 2
- The wavy blue fairies are kinda annoying, no fun being pinned down like that. Make it sparser so it's possible to move through it if you're careful, get people to dive through that shit to get their point items.
- Meteor is alright, too easy for my tastes.
- Aaaaagh cut it out with the wavy blues already
- Those green rain fairies look like deathtraps if you get caught under them, really fast bullets. But you tend not to be under them when they show up, so they're kinda trivial otherwise? Maybe their bullets oughta angle some so they reach out farther.
- Man this streaming, it's hyper dense but really slow and the fairies keep coming for a long time...I'm not sure I approve of patterns that don't do anything if you hold perfectly still and murderize you if you don't :V
- First attack is pretty neat lookin' and moderately dense, coming from different angles. I like it
- Water Hook is another of those things that kill you the first time you see it since it comes out so fast...kinda fun afterwards though. Needs more in the way of actual danmaku though, have him drop a different kind of shot as he reels in his hookshot or something.
- Second attack is kinda whooooa. I like it though, it feels natural to dodge even with the turning shots. If I'm not mistaken though, do the bullets that keep turning in circles onscreen never go away? I guess it doesn't matter since it's on a short timer anyway.
- Whirlpool's okay
- Hurricane is...the same thing? OH okay it's got that big white thing. This is more interesting then. I wouldn't have such similar cards next to each other, I would drop Whirlpool and come up with something new to replace it. Anyway this is my favorite pattern I've seen so far.
STAGE 3
- I could've sworn this was different from Emily's Stage 3
- The large bullet stream at the start is just a big ugly cluster. The individual streaming fairies afterwards are nicer as they have you move around the screen to direct their shots from different angles.
- Oh, the arrowhead circle fairies are nice
- Midboss is here already? Pattern is decent but bullets are a tad too slow.
- Gravity Manipulation is pretty good, I'll give it a pass.
- Now, the red cluster fairies with the dot streaming ones, this is how you do streaming well. Reasonable streaming density so it's feasible to switchback, but there's red stuff in the way making it more interesting. It's a simple combination that works. Still goes on too long, though
- Waagh fuck the opening attack is actually kinda tough!
- Infinity Shadow Slash would be cooler if the knives came out in a pattern, they're kinda ugly with the way they're smattered across the screen now. By the way, what effect are you trying to achieve with the boss disappearing and then *lasers* repeatedly? Is he dashing across the screen with slashmarks or something? It's not really clear, effect could use some work.
- Second attack seems easier, I think because most of it's coming from a central point. Multiple angles usually generate more difficulty. This one is fine, just needs more density.
- Reaper's Inferno again is easier than the first card. Also, the slashes are getting repetitive at this part, break it up. Also I note that because I've been playing rather derpishly my power is pretty low and it's impossible for me to finish cards before they time out. Power shouldn't make THAT big a difference in DPS.
- Third attack at least mixes it up a bit with the targetted bit...but you're likely to land in a spot where you can't shoot at the guy and you have to sit for a bit to let the shots disperse. Even if I didn't have low power I think I would've had to time this out.
- Darkness Oversoul has the same problem as Gathering Emotion, the laser sits too long and the purple stuff isn't challenging enough by itself.
STAGE 4
- Revenge bullets? Oh my! The green clusterfuck that occurs shortly afterward is pretty entertaining.
- What, midboss already again? Oh shit, targetted. Yeah this is pretty fun!
- Second attack is something I initially thought we be kinda cheap but it plays pretty well after all.
- Whoops I fucked around too much and game over'd

Might try again later.

Anyway, the most pressing concern is the stages, they need more enemy variety badly. Also, I'd get some work done on presentation if I were you; crappy content is better than no content as far as graphics go, put together some shoddy placeholder sprites and a flat texture for the stage background so I can get a sense of your characters and locations and not just Sakuya vs Yukari in waterville.

Could you explain how the different stage paths work?

>"Clash of Souls" doesn't delete Emily A's homing shots properly, so if you're constantly shooting to rack up points, beware of EPIC LAG. The others are fine, for whatever reason.
If you're implying that they stay onscreen forever because they're not hitting anything, all player homing shots should time out and disappear on their own after a few seconds because of things like this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:15:18 AM by Stuffman »

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
OH GOD YES
This review shall be my GOSPEL for the next update.
Fixing patterns/stages nao, fixing homing shots next, fixing slash effects after that, drafting placeholders after that (though it looks like I'll be able to provide at least lineart cut-in graphics next update), finding SFX last.
(For the record, the first enemies in stage 3F are supposed to be a massive cluster, but I'm fixing anyway.)

Depending on whether you're Emily or Felicia, the third stage changes. Emily has a stage where enemies throw out tiny bullets that explode into giant ones and a really fast streaming stage for 3 and 4; Jeanne and Felicia are the bosses.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. :D

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
OK let's give this motherfucker a TRY! WHOO!

BRB playing

Holy fuck miracle dodge on Stage 2 boss's second non-spell

Holy fuck Stage 3 midboss's non-spell
It's the same as Stage 1's waugherzz

Agh the spell card names. "A Bird?" isn't enough for me :<

Well
Since I have fairy vision
This is hard
Even on Normal mode

What are you thinking with Stage 4+?
... I give up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:53:17 PM by ⑨望 »

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Post 1
Yes; yes, it is. Same character. (Goddammit, I need placeholders. :O)
I didn't come up with the names for pre-Stage 3 cards. Blame Otaku-sama.

Post 2
Uhm, yes.

Post 3
Actually, I'm thinking it's hard. :/ What's the problem? Heinous design flaws? It's heinous design flaws, isn't it? I knew it was heinous design flaws.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
Played through the same again and it turns out to be, on a nice scale from 1 to 10, 4 at the moment. Mostly because of the game's
heinous design flaws

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »
Uh, can you give me examples? I'd like to fix them if at all possible.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
Sure, sure.
I haven't looked through everything yet but I'll start typing.

Stage 1.
Stage portion.
Nothing to say here, but I love the rainbow gimmick!.
OK so as Stuffman said, the fairy waves are a teensy bit too repetitive. It seems to take over 5 minutes to get through each stage portion.
Mid-boss.
What. Pretty nice non-spell, but it could be a smidget harder. Try making the burst of 02s a bit denser and more frequent.
- - - I'm not done talking, but I have to eat dinner now. - - -
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:07:35 AM by ⑨望 »

Nimble

• Broken English Fox
  • Rushing toward the bullet!
    • Viewmix
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:10:14 AM »
Just take a tour with normal mode until finish stage 3

- Water Hook get stuck when I stay under the boss in the same side :3
- Whirlpool much more harder than Hurricane :V

I feel like most of the game really gimmick. If you find how to dodge it, it'll become much more easy a lot.

PS : not a problem, your BGM make me sleepy during dodge and I got hit TwT

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
@Nimble: Yeah, the first three stages, at least, are all very gimmick-based and have distinct strategies to beating them (*cough*Shadow Reverse*cough*). That stops happening in stages four and five and picks up again in six, and then happens for about half of Extra.

Whirlpool is a lot easier than Hurricane, IMO. :/ Oh, well.

WAAH SOPORIFIC BGM... :( Hopefully that's not the case with stages 3/4. :(

@Kyuu: Fixed that. :D
Also, fix'd up Cruz and the streaming-clusters from stage 3F, the frequency of the crystal-wave enemies from stage 2, and Moonbeam and the monotony of stage 1. Placeholder is done for... two characters, because I'm lazy.