Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151776 times)

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #930 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
It's still easier than Meister or Gensokyo though. At least you know what angles the bullets are likely to come from rather than reading and dodging 6 within a couple of seconds.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #931 on: September 29, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
Yeah. They are likely to come from every direction except from from below and the gaps are miniscule. Scarlet Gensokyo is indeed comparible to LFO as far as dfficulty is concerned. The tough final spellcards.

Much harder than the more simple and straight forward spells 80% Reflowering, Astronomical Entombing, VoWG and Subterranean Sun.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #932 on: September 29, 2010, 01:25:50 PM »
It's funny because UFO is the first game I 1CC'd.

SA-Full Speed YEAHHH

Okay! I'm showing off! I get to Stage 2! Parsee shows up! Captured her annoying Midboss card! She shows up again! THREE BOMBS AND THREE DEATHS UNTIL GAME OVER

DgBarca

• Umineko fuck yeah
  • Spoilers ?
« Reply #933 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
I tried EoSD lunatic.
Stage 1 : OK
Stage 2 : Cirno opener bombed twice.
Stage 3 : I'm staring to get luck !
Stage 4 : OMGOMGOMG PANIC BOMBING ON AIMED STUFF BOOKSBOOKSBOOKSBOOKS HEY THERE PATCHY HAAAAAAAA
*continue*
Yes
No
[21:16] <redacted> dgbarca makes great work
[21:16] <redacted> i hope he'll make a full game once

« Reply #934 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:47 PM »
It's funny because UFO is the first game I 1CC'd.

I don't think its that much harder than the rest of the series on anything below Lunatic. Some people do say though that UFO Hard is harder than EoSD Lunatic but i say that's a lie. (Or someone who is really good at EoSD)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #935 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »
UFO Hard took more effort to 1cc for me than IN or MoF Lunatic because there aren't any broken shot types (ie: Netherworld Team/MarisaC)

« Reply #936 on: September 29, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
I can't find mp3s for the music from the fan-made UFO Phantasm after about 15 google searches, and the web link posted on the Youtube video is down.

boooooooooooooooo
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Bananamatic

« Reply #937 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:56 PM »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #938 on: September 29, 2010, 10:47:27 PM »
I don't think its that much harder than the rest of the series on anything below Lunatic. Some people do say though that UFO Hard is harder than EoSD Lunatic but i say that's a lie. (Or someone who is really good at EoSD)
EoSD lunatic is probably quite a bit harder,
but imo it has some (relatively) easy stage 1-3 compared to UFO.

LFS is quite a bit different from Scarlet Gensokyo in that... it only gets super hard near the end,
while Scarlet Gensokyo is hard from the beginning.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #939 on: September 30, 2010, 12:19:42 AM »
So I randomly decide to pick up Megamari after a few months of not touching it. I throw in the special password that puts you right at Patchy's castle with nothing but the broom. I've only beaten Yukari this way once before, and that only by using the mush tank from earlier in the level. Surprisingly, though, I get past her on my first try, and without using the tank. I even beat Shiki (my brick wall from the other time I beat Yukari) on a single credit.

I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Then I hit the boss gauntlet. Oh god, the boss gauntlet. I threw about 6 or 7 continues at it before giving up, never beating more that two of them. Even the easy ones like Reisen and Cirno thrashed me more often than not. Never have I felt more like a talentless hack than I do right now. :(

« Reply #940 on: September 30, 2010, 06:52:05 AM »
UFO Hard took more effort to 1cc for me than IN or MoF Lunatic because there aren't any broken shot types (ie: Netherworld Team/MarisaC)

Might that have some connection to how MoF allows bomb-spamming and IN give you that many lives and bombs. Add to that, that all the stages are incredibly easy. Those two fairies at the beginning of 6B is really the only hard stage portion in IN. And Reisen and Keine barely puts up a fight. So UFO Hard is probably harder than those two lunatics yes.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #941 on: September 30, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »
Those two fairies at the beginning of 6B is really the only hard stage portion in IN.
I never thought about it before, but yeah, that's the only part of IN that's an autobomb for me. (And I did 1cc IN Lunatic before UFO Hard, so :V)

(edit: I got IN Lunatic before EoSD Hard and PCB Hard, so I guess the order doesn't really say anything)

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #942 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:51 PM »
LFO. 7 captures. 70 attempts. Really fucking annoying.

The first part of it is pretty trivial but then the final phase comes and for the 10-20 seconds it lasts it usually manages to kill me anywhere from 1 to 4 times. Or more.

Just out of curiosity, what shottype are you using for these?

Those two fairies at the beginning of 6B is really the only hard stage portion in IN.

I seem to recall you can safespot these. Don't remember how though. :<

That was total bullshit Ichirin. There was no way to avoid that fist. I was trapped by the lasers! Sigh...

Well yeah, you're supposed to misdirect the fists.

« Reply #943 on: September 30, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
It's the stage part of stage 3 that gets me.

Ichirin just has King Kraken Strike which is annoying due to the fists being the same color as the bullets and hook combo. The rest of that fight is pretty simple.

« Reply #944 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what shottype are you using for these?
ReimuA.

I seem to recall you can safespot these. Don't remember how though. :<
I found a way to somewhat reliably dodge them long time ago but i forget it too.

Well yeah, you're supposed to misdirect the fists.

Yeah i know that. What happened was that the lasers trapped me about the middle part of the screen as i was trying to misdirect the fists.

« Reply #945 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
IN Stage 6 opener is just streaming. You stream one way then stream the other.

It works for everyone but Magic Team, though you have to place familiars with Remilia for Scarlet Team.

As for Magic Team and several of the solos, you can still do that, but since you can't kill one of them, you then have to do some extremely easy dodging.

« Reply #946 on: September 30, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »

Demonstration or you're lying.  ;)

There doesn't seem to be anything aimed about this pattern (could be wrong) so i wouldn't call it streaming in any case.

« Reply #947 on: September 30, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66azQzpOhaY

Looks like streaming to me. For the teams that can't kill the other one, you do have to do some dodging.

« Reply #948 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »
Looks like a memorized route to me.
Or maybe i'm just interpreting streaming wrong but isn't it supposed to be the art of minimizing the threat of a rapid barrage of aimed bullets by "streaming" them slowly from one side to another?

EDIT: Now with Touhou Wiki quote.

"Streaming, or herding, is the basic principle of controlling bullets in danmaku shooters. The majority of the enemy shots are aimed directly at you, so by standing still, you're effectively luring the enemies to shoot at the spot you're in. To take advantage of this, move as little as possible so that you can gather all aimed bullets in one tight stream slowly following you from one side. This way, you can dodge most of the incoming bullet bursts with just a small tap away from the stream, giving yourself more freedom to move in case of emergency.

To change the direction of the herd, do a quick move away from the stream (called "jerk" or "cutback") to make an opening, wait a bit to let the enemies readjust their aim to your new location, then proceed streaming to the opposite direction. It is advised to make cutbacks perpendicular to the stream source to increase the size of the opening (i.e., if the majority of the bullets are shot from the center of the screen, and you're streaming from left to right, cutback diagonally towards the top-right corner of the screen). If you're doing it right, the opening will be large enough to let you go through, no matter how dense the bullet stream is.

The more experienced you get, the more calm and confident you become about the streams and going through openings. As such, the technique becomes the key to evading most aimed attacks; danmaku shooters developed by Cave popularised the U-shaped movement pattern based entirely around streaming and doing cutbacks at the edges of the screen to be able to survive the bullet onslaught during the stages.

Streaming is commonly used when moving left or right, although purely vertical streaming does exist. Some cards where streaming is essential include Sakuya's, Yuyuko's, and Kaguya's.

This technique is the key to getting many graze points from any streamable attack. "

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:26:52 PM by Super Zengeku »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #949 on: September 30, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »
ReimuA.

Yeah that's what I thought. LFO will throw a really hard wave at you if you continuously shoot as ReimuA.
The trick to trivialise it is to stop shooting for a second when the first purple wave is fired and resume when she shoots the second wave.
This way there will be no overlap between purple and red.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #950 on: September 30, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure this is static. I played it a bunch of times to make sure, and I don't see anything that looks like it's specifically aimed at you.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #951 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:31 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought. LFO will throw a really hard wave at you if you continuously shoot as ReimuA.
The trick to trivialise it is to stop shooting for a second when the first purple wave is fired and resume when she shoots the second wave.
This way there will be no overlap between purple and red.

Hmm... i will take note of that, thank you.

I'm pretty sure this is static. I played it a bunch of times to make sure, and I don't see anything that looks like it's specifically aimed at you.

In other words, something you pretty much have to memorize. Its not a problem for me though. Its not a bomb that i won't exactly miss in the other end. :)

« Reply #952 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:06 PM »

Works for Marisa A too.

« Reply #953 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
Alright. I'm pretty sure i understand but what's happening is that ReimuA, and MarisaA apparently, kills LFO so fast that the card proceeds to its final phase ahead of schedule while already in the middle of an attack and you don't want that to happen so you wait for the second purple ring and start firing again.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #954 on: September 30, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
Hey, wait, I captured the 6B Stage Opener on my first (Second?) try ever seeing it.

Proof.

Use more Netherworld Team.

« Reply #955 on: September 30, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
PCB Extra one death. The really annoying part is that the one death comes from running into an enemy during the stage portion.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #956 on: October 01, 2010, 02:14:17 AM »
UFO. That is all.

Okay, so Stage 4 escapes my wrath tonight, but whatever.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #957 on: October 01, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »
I knew I could do it! I knew I, on a random UFO extra run, could perfect Nue until the final phase of Grudge Bow, where I then die a few seconds from the end!

:dragonforce:

*Gives Nue an "Almost Perfect, But Not Quite" club membership card*
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #958 on: October 01, 2010, 05:15:12 AM »
DS Scene 9-7 is utterly impossible. It can't be done. I know it's been done, but all the same, it can't be done. :V

« Reply #959 on: October 01, 2010, 08:25:08 AM »
DS Scene 9-7 is utterly impossible. It can't be done. I know it's been done, but all the same, it can't be done. :V

Its fucking annoying yes. You just gotta push on.