Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151741 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #900 on: September 23, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
For me, "clippy" just means it's very easy to die by just barely touching the edge of a bullet, rather than head-on. :S And there is one dodge that must be done that seems designed to squash you if you simply try to move up without correct positioning.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #901 on: September 23, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
Oh my silly fool. SA has excellent controls. Just like the rest of the series. I'd say that Cave shmups have less-good controls because they often link slow movement to holding down the fire button unlike Touhou in which its done by a seperate key.

:quality:
Also available in MoF and SA.

THERE IS NO CLIPDEATH, ONLY IN UFO.

:scrunchface:

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #902 on: September 23, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
Also available in MoF and SA.
And PCB and IN. Thing is, I believe this is usually not activated as a "default" option (save from one instance when I mysteriously found it on in IN, no idea), so while it exists, I normally don't consider it as a part of Touhou's gameplay.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #903 on: September 24, 2010, 03:08:57 AM »
Daily obligatory despair about Normal --> Hard mode growing pains. I get one spell card closer each and every time.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

ark

• みょん
« Reply #904 on: September 24, 2010, 06:08:39 AM »
The worst run ever. Died 4 times on stage 3, got rammed by Reimu's third nonspell and died, had 0/1 going into stage 5. Somehow didn't fail horribly, and got to stage 6 only using one bomb. 3/1 into Kaguya, I die on the second nonspell twice and third one once. Game over on Hourai Jewel. :(

Bananamatic

« Reply #905 on: September 24, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
And there is one dodge that must be done that seems designed to squash you if you simply try to move up without correct positioning.
You are playing Touhou :V

« Reply #906 on: September 24, 2010, 11:54:27 PM »
:scrunchface:

Relax Naut, i wasn't serious. And yes, i am aware that such an option exist. It isn't before now i realize that its quite Cave-ish though.

and then you have shmups without slow movement because slow movement is for pussies :V

Yeah, those are the primitive ones. The ability to slow down your movement when you want is a sign that you are dealing with better developed shmup imo. It works fine in DDP, Mushihimesama etc. but i just find it better with a seperate button for slowing down movement. But that's probably just personal preference. And a matter of what i'm used to. After all the amount of time i have spent on Cave shmups compared to Zun's games is pretty much 1/50.

For me, "clippy" just means it's very easy to die by just barely touching the edge of a bullet, rather than head-on.

That definition is pretty similar to my own.

You are playing Touhou :V

And in Esp.Ra.De your hitbox is about as awkwardly as it could. Different shmups are difficult for different reasons.

Bananamatic

« Reply #907 on: September 25, 2010, 12:06:12 AM »
The ability to slow down your movement when you want is a sign that you are dealing with better developed shmup imo
it just means that you are playing a bullet hell shmup without reflect shields :V

ebarrett

« Reply #908 on: September 25, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »
Yeah, those are the primitive ones. The ability to slow down your movement when you want is a sign that you are dealing with better developed shmup imo.
Says the better developed player, I guess.

It works fine in DDP, Mushihimesama etc.
Nah, by your logic these were obviously developed by pot-smoking Neanderthals as well. Can't argue against facts, right.

And in Esp.Ra.De your hitbox is about as awkwardly as it could. Different shmups are difficult for different reasons.
Your hitbox in Esp.Ra.De. is pretty much at the exact center of the average volumetric onverging point of the area covered by the sprite, or something along these lines. Trust me, I know my non-visible hitboxes, being a part-time caveman.

« Reply #909 on: September 25, 2010, 07:20:12 AM »
Says the better developed player, I guess.

I don't really know what to say to that. Its not like i'm the best player ever or anything like that. I don't see what that even have to do with anything. its just my opinion that  shmup that only provides one kind of movement speed is primitive as they haven't incorporated the ability to move slower at will. Doesn't mean they are bad necessarily.

Its the same thing for FPS-games. Most of them have the ability to aim down the sights nowadays but there are still some retro-style games like Half Life or Halo out there that are still good games even though they don't have all the modern game mechanics.

Nah, by your logic these were obviously developed by pot-smoking Neanderthals as well. Can't argue against facts, right.
No. I like DoDonPachi and i like Mushihimesama Futari. I am appreciating Cave-games more and more. Esp.Ra.De even got some great boss fights. The only thing i said was that i found the hitbox odd to read.
As for that hitbox. I'm told its positioned around your characters neck. I am used to having it positioned around the waist. That's really all there is to it. I said i found it awkward. I didn't say the game sucked or anything like that.

Kimchii

• Perfect Freeze
« Reply #910 on: September 25, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »
Shou and curving lasers.

AuNaturel

• Winter is incoming...
  • Identified Romantic Flyer
« Reply #911 on: September 26, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
Ugh, YESTERDAY!  I decided I would play PCB, so away I went.  My journey was going well, I had a great amount of lives and nothing could stop me!  I came upon Yuyuko, surprised at how well I was doing (I didn't intend to 1cc, I just wanted to play for a bit), with three lives and... two bombs?  ANYWAYS, I stupidly killed myself twice, seemingly ruining my chances, whenever I got to her last spellcard.  My heart started beating, fast!  YES! I thought, I CAN BEAT HER!  I finish her last spellcard successfully, congratulating myself on my victory, ONLY TO BE DESTROYED BY HER FINAL FINAL SPELLCARD!!  Curses.  I felt crushed. 

I did win a moral victory though!
[img width= height=]http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8426/sig1xu.jpg[/img]

« Reply #912 on: September 26, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
Okay. Decided to start working on Gold Medallin' some spells in Fairy Wars at Normal mode. So far i have done everything in the first two stages of route A1 but there is one spell that pisses me off so damn much.

Star Sign "Twinkle Sapphire". What the heck? This thing is total bullshit! When did it become okay to spawn bullets on your hitbox? I wonder if there is some magic trick to this card. If not then its just a question of being lucky enough not to have bullets spawn on you.

« Reply #913 on: September 27, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
Bloody hell Yukari!

Yep. I just lost a perfect run due to BoLaD. And it was some gross mistakes on that card too. Yeah, "some". I died twice. ARRGH!

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #914 on: September 28, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »
oh god I love Resurrection Butterfly and all its variants.

It doesn't  matter if I haven't played in a month and can only 1cc Normal with 1/2, I'll always love you.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #915 on: September 28, 2010, 01:32:31 AM »
^I've been trying to perfect Yuyuko on Hard lately...
17 failed attempts yet... all at -50% Reflowering-'s red butterflies..

yet I can easily beat Yuyuko's Last Word. with Marisa...
does that count?  :derp:

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #916 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:54 AM »
Was just doing a PCB Normal run for lulz after like a month of not playing a Touhou game.

It was my closest try at a 1cc, I died to 30% Reflowering. Angst.

« Reply #917 on: September 28, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
Dammit that Byakuren pisses me off. 70+ runs. Still no goddamn progress on anything!
At least playing this game made me realize something...
EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA. They are not the least bit difficult. Not even on Lunatic. They are trivial little kiddie games compared to UFO.

Good Omen, Devil's Recitation, LFO. What the heck is up with those?

EDIT:
That was total bullshit Ichirin. There was no way to avoid that fist. I was trapped by the lasers! Sigh...
Damn it ZUN, i can easily see what you were going for with this game. All the patterns have great potential but the ease with which you can get screwed over just make it too frustrating.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:56:22 PM by Super Zengeku »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #918 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »
It suddenly feels like your opinion of UFO's patterns is changing.

Not that I have anything gameplay related to despair about, but my newly uploaded video (See for shameless promotion) has an audio desync.

D:

« Reply #919 on: September 28, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »
Why wouldn't it count? MarisaC doesn't trivialize the stage at all, you still do the same thing as you would with ReimuB.

If anything it counts more because you did it with a bigger hitbox.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #920 on: September 28, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
Because the stage suddenly involves ten times less streaming, and Sanae's spellcards take five less seconds each, and...
and lul +1pixeldiameter again. The only thing I would consider it being just impossible is the midboss spell, and hence why it gets misdirected.

« Reply #921 on: September 29, 2010, 12:51:48 AM »
EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA. They are not the least bit difficult. Not even on Lunatic. They are trivial little kiddie games compared to UFO.

Fuckin' right. Welcome to a man game.

« Reply #922 on: September 29, 2010, 12:58:44 AM »
But they can all be man game if you play for score.

Too bad I suck at point blanking, so EoSD is out, I still derpfest IN and has to be 1LC for good score(I think), MoF has to be 1LC, and I can't survive a credit of SA if I suicide for graze. So I'm stuck playing for survival.

« Reply #923 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:59 AM »
But they can all be man game if you play for score.

Spoiler:
You know too much.

Too bad I suck at point blanking, so EoSD is out, I still derpfest IN and has to be 1LC for good score(I think), MoF has to be 1LC, and I can't survive a credit of SA if I suicide for graze. So I'm stuck playing for survival.

With that attitude you're gonna get nowhere fast, brah.

« Reply #924 on: September 29, 2010, 01:33:59 AM »
Scorerunning UFO is amazingly confusing.

Not just because the danmaku is hard, but because UFOS EVERYWHERE WHAT DO I DO

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #925 on: September 29, 2010, 01:55:02 AM »
VoWG lunatic
currently at 4/87
I always make ONE mistake somewhere, it's so annoying.
Also, somehow when I micrododge, I often go through the blue or teal wave,
and then get slammed by red/green waves soon after... :ohdear:

What would be a good balance between macro and micrododge?

« Reply #926 on: September 29, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
Always prefer Macrododge if it can safely be done. Micrododge only if you can't safely do a macrododge.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #927 on: September 29, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
So I got around to recording my MoF Lunatic 1cc.

oh god I died twice to Hina and to Yasaka's Divine Wind as it was exploding.

« Reply #928 on: September 29, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
Fuckin' right. Welcome to a man game.

I didn't expect that response... but at least it seems we agree on that.
I just gotta toughen up and become more manly.

« Reply #929 on: September 29, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
LFO. 7 captures. 70 attempts. Really fucking annoying.

The first part of it is pretty trivial but then the final phase comes and for the 10-20 seconds it lasts it usually manages to kill me anywhere from 1 to 4 times. Or more.

Damn this, i wanna kill asians now.