Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151833 times)

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #870 on: September 21, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
Speaking of Aya, anyone has a scoreth125.dat file from DS with all cards clear on both characters? Preferably with no shots locked. It would be really useful for me, and not just because I suck at DS :derp:.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ftak4hcd6bm6i4p

« Reply #871 on: September 21, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
ARGH FUCKING CHAINDEATHS

;_;

« Reply #872 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
Less than a second away from Gold Medal Blazing Star. I'm SO FREAKING DETERMINED.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #873 on: September 21, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
Played SA Normal again and Orin is still a brick wall. It`ll take me another year or so to 1cc it, unless I`ll play it nonstop, like I did with Phantasm. Then maybe a few months, but I hardly feel like playing it over and over and over again...

http://www.mediafire.com/?ftak4hcd6bm6i4p

Thanks a lot :D.
I know that once you capture a card in StB/DS, you don`t have to play it ever again, but I don`t see how some of them can be captured...DS mocks me left and right, Orin and Murasa`s survival are brick walls for me and I fuck up every attempt at 1cc MoF/PCB Hard during the first 3 stages  :colonveeplusalpha:...

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #874 on: September 21, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
Yuu know whot, I just reelized sumthing!

PLAYEENG THE GAME ON TIIMES TWO SPEED MEANS IT GOES TWICE AS FAST

and when the game is running "normally" the game is actually running TWICE AS FAST

Damn you school computers! Damn you as much as I damn Yuugi! (And Satori!)

ark

• みょん
« Reply #875 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
Orin is still a brick wall.
Bomb everything. :c

Some of her stuff shouldn't be that bad though, like Spleen Eater and the last card, as well as the first two nonspells.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #876 on: September 22, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
...It does say somewhere that nonspells are intended to be easier than spellcards, right? I've got the stage portion of GFW Extra down pretty well, but I've yet to even see the boss's 3rd card.

Stupid sucky reflexes.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #877 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:01 AM »
So I go into EoSD Stage 6 5/0.

Game over on Scarlet Gensokyo with less than a centimeter of health left.

Metal-fatigue bullets are so fucking broken, god.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #878 on: September 22, 2010, 03:45:23 AM »
I've got the stage portion of GFW Extra down pretty well, but I've yet to even see the boss's 4th nonspell.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #879 on: September 22, 2010, 05:28:40 AM »
Bomb everything. :c

Some of her stuff shouldn't be that bad though, like Spleen Eater and the last card, as well as the first two nonspells.

Pretty much my only option on her...er, everything. I tend to fuck up Spleen Eater and all of her nonspells as well, save the 2nd miniboss one before the catwalk (the first is obviously an autobomb). Practice on hard with downloaded score file hardly helps so far either, because I either bomb or die on half the stage stuff and everything Orin throws at me and barely defeat her. This one might take me a lot of time, so I had to vent a bit.

« Reply #880 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:33 AM »
Thanks a lot :D.
I know that once you capture a card in StB/DS, you don`t have to play it ever again, but I don`t see how some of them can be captured...DS mocks me left and right

As you can see on the dat file, it is certainly possible to capture them all.  :V

So I go into EoSD Stage 6 5/0.

Game over on Scarlet Gensokyo with less than a centimeter of health left.

Fuck man, that must feel so bad. After getting there with that many resources and everything only to screw it up. You need to bomb more.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #881 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely not aiming to capture all the spell cards in Fairy Wars. Going through a route just to not capture a single new card is not my cup of tea.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #882 on: September 22, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
UFO stage 5.
Curvy lasers.  RAGE.

« Reply #883 on: September 23, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »
Thinking I can play normal... then trying SA.

As a side: What exactly is a clipdeath? I see it mentioned a fair bit.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #884 on: September 23, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »
As a side: What exactly is a clipdeath? I see it mentioned a fair bit.
When someone screws up and just barely gets hit by a bullet.

It seems that they usually blame the game instead of their self.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #885 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »
New Super Marisa Land. I keep dying on Stage 2 of Youkai Mountain. DDD:<

« Reply #886 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
It's generally with broken hitboxes like EoSD bubbles and Metal Fatigue Bullets.

Other than that, it's where you die by like 1 pixel or something.

It's more likely to happen when the game gives you extremely small gaps, such as Flandre's survival or a lot of places in MoF and SA(although I can acknowledge I was nailed by the bullets in those 2 games)

The additive blending bullets more common in UFO has lead to a lot of this for me, and UFO is pretty much the only one where I excessively complained about clipdeaths.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #887 on: September 23, 2010, 01:41:28 AM »
It's generally with broken hitboxes like EoSD bubbles and Metal Fatigue Bullets.
Broken?  I call them different.  People who have played the post-EoSD games then go back to EoSD will probably get hung up on them (more lenient hitboxes on the later games), but I've got a magic trick works on everything (though we generally ignore this for bubble bullets, it still works):

Don't let the sprite from the bullets touch your hitbox, and you won't die.  Just because it is technically possible to do something like this doesn't mean that you should try unless it is just for showing off.  Consider the generous hitboxes leniency for your lack of precision :3
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #888 on: September 23, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
EoSD bubbles aren't the issue - they are still sensible despite the bigger hitboxes. But my curiosity is seriously, seriously compelling me to learn what the exact hitbox is for the metal-fatigue bullets. I know they seem as big as the sprite, but I've seen a couple replays that suggest the hitbox does not, in fact, cover the whole sprite. I even tested it tonight on Young Demon Lord (if that makes any difference) and, judging from my movements, managed to slip into the top-left corner of one (the same place I've seen others do it). Reproducing it has been a problem though, since I don't have any sort of "action replay" type of equipment, and timing a "print screen" button press while simultaneously using my pinky to control focusing hasn't proven very productive. If anyone else with more expertise can provide some info, I'd really appreciate it. It would certainly help if we can settle this issue once and for all.

Just because it is technically possible to do something like this doesn't mean that you should try unless it is just for showing off.
These are two totally different engines you're comparing. I'm not sure the analogy works. Never mind that slipping through such small spaces on Medoteko is sometimes necessary.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:51:32 AM by Funen1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Bananamatic

« Reply #889 on: September 23, 2010, 04:49:49 AM »
slipping through such small spaces on Medoteko is sometimes necessary.
I always told you that Medoteko sucks :V

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #890 on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:29 AM »
I always told you that Medoteko sucks :V
I said going through the small spaces was necessary sometimes. I never said anything about its difficulty (which, I might add, is still quite easy). Try harder Banana. :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #891 on: September 23, 2010, 11:49:07 AM »
small spaces=claustrophobic=not good

I found that spell annoying ever since I first fought her on Easy.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #892 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
Panic bombing sucks.  Dying to cirno on Hard mode sucks even more. And I can say screw you to Marisa on her last non spell. Fail.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #893 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
You know Satori, I've gotten better. In the year and a half since I branded you my arch-nemesis, I've gotten much better at your attacks. Double Death Butterfly is no longer a foregone conclusion in failure, I've learned a trick to your hateful BoWaP, and your clippy non-spells now almost never hit me.

But I still hate your fight. Just let me perfect it already, stop making me clip bullets I don't see and are likely half off the screen in BoWaP! >:(

Also I still don't entirely understand Flying Insect's Nest, and how to guarantee it won't wall me.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:28:31 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #894 on: September 23, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
The only thing wrong with Satori's fight i'd say is Flying Insects Nest. And i would comment on BoWaP but i don't have anything to say about it that haven't been said before.

One thing though. When where those non-spells ever clippy? They are static and easily dealt with and they offer perfectly reasonable gaps the same places every time. But at least you've gotten over those. :)

small spaces=claustrophobic=not good

I found that spell annoying ever since I first fought her on Easy.

Over 200+ runs against it i have only gotten killed by it 5 times at most. Since i started playing that is. It never happens now.

Bananamatic

« Reply #895 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
clippy
clip
THERE IS NO CLIPDEATH, ONLY STUPID MISTAKESand shitty SA controls
MAN UP AND MAKE HER FEEL YOUR PIMP HAND

« Reply #896 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
THERE IS NO CLIPDEATH, ONLY STUPID MISTAKESand shitty SA controls
MAN UP AND MAKE HER FEEL YOUR PIMP HAND

Oh my silly fool. SA has excellent controls. Just like the rest of the series. I'd say that Cave shmups have less-good controls because they often link slow movement to holding down the fire button unlike Touhou in which its done by a seperate key.

Staying true to the Banana-spirit you should rather say something like: THERE IS NO CLIPDEATH, ONLY IN UFO.
I can say that because i can pass through "walls" quite easily.  :V

« Reply #897 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
Oh my silly fool. SA has excellent controls. Just like the rest of the series. I'd say that Cave shmups have less-good controls because they often link slow movement to holding down the fire button unlike Touhou in which its done by a seperate key.

I don't think there even is a Cave game that doesn't have an autofire button.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #898 on: September 23, 2010, 09:47:09 PM »
I could probably beat normal Remi. That is, if I could get myself to use more than two bombs after reaching her 3/4.

And worse, I'd bitten the bullet and switched to ReimuA for that run to get the easier Patchy fight. -.-

Bananamatic

« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »

Staying true to the Banana-spirit you should rather say something like: THERE IS NO CLIPDEATH, ONLY IN UFO.
I can say that because i can pass through "walls" quite easily.  :V
and then you have shmups without slow movement because slow movement is for pussies :V

ufo controls are pretty good, it's the flashing bullets which confuse the hell out of me

SA might be because of the rotating familiars, but even the other chars feel kinda weird to move around

Also didn't ZUN get the MarisaPatchy combo mechanics from HRtP bombing? Both take fifty attempts before the goddamn input actually works

atleast SA doesn't spontaneously switch shots :V