Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151686 times)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #810 on: September 15, 2010, 03:29:07 AM »
I've played Normal to death for pretty much all the games, so I figured I'd finally play on Hard for once in my favorite standby, IN. I mediocred my way to a game over at Tewi. Well, that's alright, I guess. I would've picked up 3 extra lives on the way to Kaguya, too.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2010, 03:31:47 AM »
Oh god!
The school's computers have enough firepower to run the post-PoFV games at full speed! (and mine does not- /sobs)

AND NOW YUUGI IS THE HARDEST BOSS EVER SOMEHOW

« Reply #812 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
No, it was done by suiciding several times to lower the rank so Lyrica's opener wouldn't wall. BV

I would call you something (something adorable obviously) but i'll just refrain from doing so. I should go check if that opener is so damn difficult.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:49:58 PM by Super Zengeku »

« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »
A GFW extra run sees me capture Big Crunch and Meteor Perseid. I'm so excited that I might clear the spells I hadn't cleared before in one run!

Then Blazing Star smashes me. Seriously, this is going to be Suwa War all over again.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
And you thought UFO's curvy lasers were bad.

How about Banshiryuu's curly lasers!?  :ohdear:

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #815 on: September 15, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
I would call you something (something adorable obviously) but i'll just refrain from doing so. I should go check if that opener is so damn difficult.

No, I'm curious what you wanted to call me. A cheater? If we are so petty that something isn't a perfect if it isn't at max rank...

Also, I think I'm going to stop actively going for perfects. I'm losing sight of what's fun in this series by trying to do these things, plus the challenges are just getting to be too much for my patience (why do I think I can perfect Remilia just because I came close once I have like a 1.5% success rate with Scarlet Meister aaaaah).
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #816 on: September 15, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
I went on the quest to become the strongest in GFW with the English patch. Pretty hilarious dialogue. I managed to capture Marisa's final spell in the run so i'm glad. I'm not too glad about the rest of the fight though. I really don't like many of those spellcards. Cirno's freezing is too slow. I had many occasions of death because that Ice couldn't be deployed when i wanted it to. That's why i wasn't bothered with stuff in StB/DS' not being possible to handle without the camera. The camera takes a photo the second you tap the button.

And what's up with the bombs? I had one occasion where my bomb didn't go off despite being at 120% Perfect Freeze. And its not just a case of slow reaction speed. I hit the bomb button expecting a bomb and got hit a couple seconds after.

No, I'm curious what you wanted to call me. A cheater? If we are so petty that something isn't a perfect if it isn't at max rank...

Also, I think I'm going to stop actively going for perfects. I'm losing sight of what's fun in this series by trying to do these things, plus the challenges are just getting to be too much for my patience (why do I think I can perfect Remilia just because I came close once I have like a 1.5% success rate with Scarlet Meister aaaaah).

No i wasn't gonna call you anything like that. If anything i'd call you out for jumping over where the fence is lowest for not doing it with ReimuB but that wouldn't be fair (as if i haven't done anything like that before). A perfect run with Marisa is also a nice feat. I just can't understand why you'd have to suicide to make that attack easier. It does not wall you off. It just gets a bit trickier.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:48:09 PM by Super Zengeku »

nintendonut888

« Reply #817 on: September 15, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Well, I'm used to Marisa's version, and I really don't want to grind a 4:30 long stage for something like this.

On that note of me not wanting to perfect, here's what my day's playing at school (free time~) has given me:

1DNB Satori (Flying Insect's Nest)

2DNB Orin (third non-spell and Ghost Wheels)

2DNB Nue (Blue UFOs and Green UFOs)

orz
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
Well, I'm used to Marisa's version, and I really don't want to grind a 4:30 long stage for something like this.

On that note of me not wanting to perfect, here's what my day's playing at school (free time~) has given me:

Used to marisas version? No need to make excuses. Those two attacks don't take any getting used to. I am no better than you and i went in and destroyed Lyricas openers effortlessly. Playing Reimu exclusively. If you wanna see a tough opener go check out Merlin.

But there is really no point to that. You perfected them and thats good enough. The real accomplishment actually lies in capturing their final spellcard anyway. Thats the hardest thing they got because of how random it is.

And i can certainly understand you about the stage. Its basically 4 minutes of trivial gameplay. Not very exciting. Lily White at least helps keeping things interesting.

1DNB Satori (Flying Insect's Nest)

That sucks man. Having everything ruined by that card? Obligatory question: Was it your own mistake or was it one of those occasions where the card walls you off?

2DNB Nue (Blue UFOs and Green UFOs)

Really? That's like some of the easiest stuff she got. Who are you using?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:37 PM »
If you wanna see a tough opener go check out Merlin.
asdafsdsgacjkasdhkjsadhladhbvfajlsdbflajbflakjdfblak

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #820 on: September 15, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
asdafsdsgacjkasdhkjsadhladhbvfajlsdbflajbflakjdfblak

I tried it. Forget about Lyrica's opener. This is the real bitch.

« Reply #821 on: September 15, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »
2 seconds from a gold medal on Blazing Star.  :( Just panicked.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #822 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »
Argh, this is getting annoying. Losing to Byakuren all the time makes me feel like i suck at Touhou. I'm doing rather well on the rest of the bosses in the series.

She definitely receives my award for hardest Touhou boss ever. All the other Stage 6 bosses are pussies in comparison.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #823 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
Oh god!
The school's computers have enough firepower to run the post-PoFV games at full speed! (and mine does not- /sobs)

AND NOW YUUGI IS THE HARDEST BOSS EVER SOMEHOW

Set the frameskip to 1/2 and 16bit color in config.exe to play at full speed on your computer then. That`s how I play post-IN games (bar IaMP and StB). And after I got the hang of Yuugi, Orin rapes me in every hole.

Also, tried StB and DS. Simultaneously  :V. And I`m sick of both already - Nitori and Reisen can go to hell. Yamame is a bitch in DS as well, but I somehow got all of her spells. I simply can`t fucking wait for meeting Shou and Orin  :colonveeplusalpha:.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:25:50 PM by Critz »

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #824 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »
Is it sad that I can't 1cc any game on Easy that isn't IN?
Cuz -insert stage 5 here, 4 in PCB's case- rapes me hard. :ohdear:

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »
GFW Extra. Stupid BS stage portion that has undodgeable shit and lasts 5 minutes.
In the lucky attempts that I reach the boss, the fight ended with Test Slave

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #826 on: September 16, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »
I was fighting Kanako on Normal mode and I was on her last spell. All my bombs were used up, my lives gone, and ten seconds left on the timer. I thought to myself, "Just time it out... time it out..."

At the second-to-last second, I heard a "pew" sound and the screen said "Game over!"

Tears of light stained the keyboard. I'm terrible at Touhou :P
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #827 on: September 16, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
I died when her last card was exploding once.

Anyway, so SA is so full of BS it's crazy
Really
Using anyone other than Yukari is madness and Alice's lasers are backwards. THEY SHOOT OUTWARDS WHEN YOU FOCUS.

And why is Yamame's first nonspell harder than her second?

ark

• みょん
« Reply #828 on: September 16, 2010, 05:28:20 AM »
You think Yamame's first nonspell is hard? Wait until you see the Lunatic version :V

Reimu/Aya is fun (but hard) to use in SA.

« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2010, 05:37:43 AM »
ugh.

going for my eosd extra unlock.  I get to remilia with 4 lives 0 bombs and think I can do it if I don't mess up.  Get to curse of vlad tepes with 3 lives left.  Then I run into a ball that appers.  Then again.  Then again.  All lives lost.

Kept going and nearly had my first red magic capture.  Then I die as she's exploding.

meh.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
You think Yamame's first nonspell is hard? Wait until you see the Lunatic version :V

Reimu/Aya is fun (but hard) to use in SA.

I did. I died though because of pre-boss fuckery.

And once again:
Using anyone other than Yukari is madness.

Suika's homing shots suck arse
Aya's bullets are fricking dumb
Alice's lasers shoot outwards when you focus
Patchouli's is.... average.
And Nitori's missiles have that delay I can't seem to tweak to my advantage.
[/bitching]

SA is probably the weirdest Touhou game, as in, the only one I can't seem to Stage 3 on Normal.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #831 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:07 AM »
Nitori's missiles have a delay, so? So did Marisa's frost bolts back in the day of PCB and IN but nobody uses Marisa over Yukari.

Still, Alice would be the equivalent of the Netherworld Team in IN, except with weird shotgun potential and not more powerful than Needle Reimu.
Patchy is meant for destroying stages, but needs memorization.
Suika has horrible homing, so she's like the new MarisaLaser type. Except that she's still piss weak.
Aya is lulzy.
And Nitori is like Yukari, only suffering from Phantasm>Stage 3 Boss syndrome. But the bomb is great for extra.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #832 on: September 17, 2010, 03:32:02 AM »
I never used PCB-Marisa :D

I never used the Ghost Team (That's what I call them, it rolls off the tongue better >:( )
Aya is no laughing matter. Letting go of the focus button somehow and running into Grandpa Hanasaka's Jealous of the Kind and Lovely's STATIC BULLLLLLETTTSS fills me with rage.

As for bombs, the lack of Master Laser Rape is saddening :(

« Reply #833 on: September 17, 2010, 04:02:32 AM »
I have used MarisaA in PCB as my main character once but i for some reason switched to Reimu at one point. Maybe because i felt i was doing bad with Marisas movement speed being too fast or something and decided to switch over to what i was used to from the rest of the series. I dunno. Marisa was a good choice though. Not like today. ZUN just keeps her around but she never gets any really good shottypes. Shame.

In other news, GFW Easy Route A2. Wasted my time with this. Still haven't gotten any closer to Gold Medalling that Orion spellcard thingy. Don't remember what its called. The fairies just come down to my position and wall me off. I'll experiment with something different later on.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #834 on: September 17, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »
Last night, I played Double Spoiler for the third time.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this game? Because I do. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

nintendonut888

« Reply #835 on: September 17, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
Last night, I played Double Spoiler for the third time.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this game? Because I do. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I'm curious, can you say exactly what about it makes it worse than StB?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:50:18 PM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #836 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
I died with 21 seconds left trying to no photo scene 7-6 in double spoiler :( Agghhh!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #837 on: September 17, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
I'm curious, can you say exactly what about it makes it worse than StB?
I honestly don't know. The music is meh (except for Infinite Nightmare <333333), but so was StB's, and I didn't dislike it for that. Maybe the characters? But no, I care more for the cast of DS than I do StB's. The patterns themselves? They're more frustrating than StB's, I think, but I also have an adjustable shot alignment to make up for it.

Thinking about it more and more, I think it's just that I liked StB so damn much that anything after that would inevitably be a disappointment. I can't even judge DS on its own merits thanks to having such a high opinion of its predecessor. So really I dislike DS for no other reason than "it's not StB".

Which would explain why so many people who despised StB love DS, precisely because "it's not StB".

nintendonut888

« Reply #838 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »
Huh, I see. I always try to disspell that bias, so I see DS as an improvement in almost every way to StB. But, fine, I can accept that. Also it has Hatate. :*

mikeKOSA

« Reply #839 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
a
b
I'm pretty consistent at this