Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151743 times)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #600 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »
So I 1cc'd MoF Lunatic with two lives to spare.

But Kanako robbed me of a VoWG capture as she was exploding. This makes me sad.

« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »
He. That's nothing compared to how sour it is to reach her VoWG with six lives in stock and being so stubborn to not bomb Virtue of Wind God. And of course fail it. By dying two times.

I don't think i've ever captured that spell in a run before... i haven't done many either. My first and two more after that.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
Almost 1cc'd MoF Lunatic. Had 1 life going into Source of Rains, and died just as it was ending. Of course I then game over on VoWG. :(

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #603 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
My usual response to something like that would be "Use MarisaC lol"

But I don't wanna push my style of playing on other people.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #604 on: August 26, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »
Well, ReimuB is what I use 99% of the time, and all I need to do is stop making stupid mistakes.

Udongein

« Reply #605 on: August 26, 2010, 03:26:23 AM »
Dear Medicine:
FUCK. YOU.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #606 on: August 26, 2010, 03:37:21 AM »

Formless God

« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25:36 AM »
FDSFLJDSLFDSKLJFDKS Lunatic A1 4cc. Got all the way to the final fight on one continue and derp'd the rest.
It's awesomely fun though.

« Reply #608 on: August 26, 2010, 05:30:57 AM »
PLAY [shmup that actually requires skillful non-pattern-based dodging]
memorization is a skill bro

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:47 AM »
Died three times to God's Rice Porridge.  But by some miracle I made it Mountain of Faith without dieing.  I killed her.  Then I ran into a card when it was all slow motiony.  Guess I can enter the Died After I Won club now.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:59 AM »
FUCK ARE YOU SERIOUS.
Eajy modo SA MarisaB
Fucked up my perfect game at stage 5, post midboss orin asploding spirits with yinyang shitting blue orbs by SHOOTING TOO MUCH and trying to squeeze through the gap as if I was playing skinny reimu.
Died twice on SPLEEN EATER WTF (1 death from orinkick? and another from spiritram?)
Died on Icicle Fall Normal (the eajy version of 10 evil stars, I forgot the name)
Died on Heaven and Hell Meltdown (WTF TWICE)
captured Hell's Artificial Sun.
FINAL SCORE: 296,786,630
which lost to my ReimuA score of 333,478,120 despite doing better earlier on and derping big time on orin and Okuu.
FUCKING FUCK
(suddenly score playing became awesome)

HGR

« Reply #611 on: August 26, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »
I got the following boss order in PoDD:

1. Ellen 2. Kana 3. Rikako 4. Reimu 5. Marisa 6. Kotohime

« Reply #612 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
I tried out MarisaA in UFO. Her damage is good and in general playing as her isn't that terribly bad either. Just one problem...
GET YOUR SLOW ASS MOVING WHILE DEPLOYING MASTER SPARK!

Really, half the time i tried using Master Spark against a boss the boss would just move away and i would be unable to catch up with her. (KKS) and when trying to grap UFO's they seemingly float faster/equal speed as Marisa so she can't catch up with them. Annoying. But i did make it to Stage 5... where the bomb got me in a lose-lose situation... because the bomb makes you slow as fuck.

memorization is a skill bro

If you can suck at it, its a skill. I suck at memorization. So memorization must be a skill.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:02:33 PM by Uncle Zengeku »

« Reply #613 on: August 26, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
I thought that if you dodge one of the balls on Shou's second nonspell then you dodge the rest of them. Dodge the first, stay still, game over screen.

Of course, it would have helped if I hadn't died to Kogasa twice, double KO King Kraken Strike, clip Ichirin's second nonspell, clip Murasa's third spellcard twice.

But even if I got to Byakuren, I probably wouldn't be able to beat her.

« Reply #614 on: August 26, 2010, 05:03:50 PM »
I thought that if you dodge one of the balls on Shou's second nonspell then you dodge the rest of them. Dodge the first, stay still, game over screen.

Of course, it would have helped if I hadn't died to Kogasa twice, double KO King Kraken Strike, clip Ichirin's second nonspell, clip Murasa's third spellcard twice.

But even if I got to Byakuren, I probably wouldn't be able to beat her.

As it is right now i think you have a greater chance of 1cc'ing this game than i do.

« Reply #615 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
I would need a lot of practice on Byakuren, and I can't even practice Byakuren because I haven't even managed to beat her after a continue yet. I don't even have Shou's stage for practice with ReimuA, though I have it with ReimuB. Which means at the moment, I'd need to enter with more lives than that to stand a chance.

I was using ReimuA on the 3 attempts that got up to Stage 5 on 1 credit, 2 of them got to Shou, 1 game overed right before Shou.

« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
I tried out MarisaA in UFO. Her damage is good and in general playing as her isn't that terribly bad either. Just one problem...
GET YOUR SLOW ASS MOVING WHILE DEPLOYING MASTER SPARK!

Has to be some sort of drawback to the best player character in the game. :smug:

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:48 AM »
And exactly what are these drawbacks to the best player character in the game that you speak of?  I don't see any drawbacks to using ReimuA.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:21 AM »
He's talking about MarisaA.

Still, she's got very competent damage, but it's disappointing that Needles Reimu has a stronger bomb.

Also, Master Spark has horrible bullet clearing during LFO.

« Reply #619 on: August 27, 2010, 12:45:38 AM »
And exactly what are these drawbacks to the best player character in the game that you speak of?  I don't see any drawbacks to using ReimuA.

Spoiler:
She's not Marisa.

I'm just joking. Reimu A is the better forward shot type, but I prefer lasers, so.

Also, Master Spark has horrible bullet clearing during LFO.

Try using Reimu B ;_;

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2010, 12:48:40 AM »
At least ReimuB can move up. Helps with redirecting or something.

SanaeB also doesn't clear bullets very well, since you can't see shit beyond the explosion and you can't tell where the bullets are gonna be.

MarisaA also suffers from that, and the invulnerability ends like .1 seconds after the bullet clearing.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2010, 12:49:36 AM »
FUDGE SAUCE

Past "Old History" 0 / 13 (15% Remaining on last Capture Attempt before Failure)
Reincarnation "Returning-Bridge Ichijo"  0 / 11 (5%)
Future "Next History" 0 / 11 (35%)

Limiting Edict "Tsuki no Iwakasa's Curse" 1 / 5
Immortal "Fire Bird -Flying Phoenix-" 0 / 4 (5%)
'Fujiwara "Flaw of Forgiving Shrine"  0 / 0

High Score: 0 341 375 200

Oh well. Practice Persistence makes perfect, I suppose.
Although it only took me ten tries to do UFO's EX Stage...

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
Past "Old History" 0 / 13 (15% Remaining on last Capture Attempt before Failure)

How?

« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2010, 01:34:07 AM »
I still have a lot of work to do. I entered Stage 6 1/1. Entered Byakuren 1/1.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
If you've beaten PCB extra, you're more than capable of beating phantasm, just so you know.
quite a few of Yukari's cards are easier than Ran's version.

What.

What.

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to unlock Phantasm with all shottypes (previously I'd only done it with MarisaB). Haven't played it since my first clear, over a year ago. Took me about 20 attempts for the lot of 'em. (sidenote: holy shit is SakuyaA horrible) Phantasm? Farthest I've gotten is Human and Youkai - about 20 attempts ago. Haven't been past Straight and Curve since (okay, so the noncard after Straight and Curve, technically). I'll grant that Straight/Curve and Spiriting Away are easier (albeit nominally - their originals only ever took 1 bomb at most), and I'll give Double Death Butterfly the benefit of the doubt, as my only encounter with it so far is equivalent to my best performance on Unilateral (1 bomb). But the rest of 'em are at least equal in difficulty; and then there's the utterly trivial stuff like Wizard Fox Thoughts and Shiki: Chen that suddenly become complete bullshit. How can this possibly be considered on the same level?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2010, 02:38:52 AM »
damn damn damn damn damn damn
http://i36.tinypic.com/ad2no1.jpg

How?

it's funny because I captured it in spell practice later
with a history of 01 / 31

that being said

Keine 2: 1 / 5 ( 0 /  15)
Mokou 1: 1 / 34 ( 1 /  4)
Mokou 2: 1 / 29 ( 0 /  3)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:41:05 AM by Mister Sanity »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2010, 06:08:52 AM »
What.

What.

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to unlock Phantasm with all shottypes (previously I'd only done it with MarisaB). Haven't played it since my first clear, over a year ago. Took me about 20 attempts for the lot of 'em. (sidenote: holy shit is SakuyaA horrible) Phantasm? Farthest I've gotten is Human and Youkai - about 20 attempts ago. Haven't been past Straight and Curve since (okay, so the noncard after Straight and Curve, technically). I'll grant that Straight/Curve and Spiriting Away are easier (albeit nominally - their originals only ever took 1 bomb at most), and I'll give Double Death Butterfly the benefit of the doubt, as my only encounter with it so far is equivalent to my best performance on Unilateral (1 bomb). But the rest of 'em are at least equal in difficulty; and then there's the utterly trivial stuff like Wizard Fox Thoughts and Shiki: Chen that suddenly become complete bullshit. How can this possibly be considered on the same level?
* My first extra clear was with Sakuya A, it took like 200 tries. Then I found the vsync patch and everything is easy.
** Phantasm took only like 20-30 tries, and a lot of it was messing up in the stage and restarting
Yukari's Wizard Fox Thoughts is still easy streaming, Shiki: Ran isn't harder, just different

Anyways here is how I find/feel about the cards:
1st: not really much harder; still easy streaming, except that you now tap when the rice bullets arrive
2nd: easier than Ran's version imo, I do it by circling counter clockwise, and it ends quickly
3rd: I will grant that this is harder than Ran
4th: obviously easier than Ran's card, their is so much more room!
5th: I find it easier
6th: it's just like Buddhist Temple, but now with butterflies instead of round bullets
7th: this is harder than Unilateral Contact, but easily bombed
8th: I find it easier than Chen once you figure it out - basically stay in the bottom and move horizontally to misdirect the stuff and dodge the bullets, as Ran aims at you every so often. Before I got used to it, it looked like BS though.
9th: this survival is quite a bit harder due to the fast bullets
10th: just like Ran's card, not much difference
11th: can throw you off if you don't know how, but can be bombed

So, half of the cards (5) are easier!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:13:31 AM by jsonchiu »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2010, 06:13:56 AM »
Marisa, why are you a damn brick wall?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2010, 06:48:42 AM »
Has to be some sort of drawback to the best player character in the game. :smug:
Bullets blending in with her options :V
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2010, 07:35:47 AM »
1st: not really much harder; still easy streaming, except that you now tap when the rice bullets arrive

Yes, simple microstreaming... with about 50 times less room for error. They're also virtually impossible to read, so once it starts speeding up, I have to take it on faith that I've dodged the entire stream. Which, historically, hasn't worked out so well. Die by overstreaming or understreaming? Great choice.

Also, you're not reading me. Yes, some of them are in fact easier. But I never had a problem with those cards to begin with, and everything else is suddenly destroying me. ('cept the manji card, which is (thank god) still loleasy)

By the way, this extends to the midboss cards, too. Zenki and Goki looks awesome for all the extra space it gives you, until... "Holy shit, did that bullet just home?" DX At least Chen lets you stay under her the entire time and end it after just one wave.