Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151755 times)

Bananamatic

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #570 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:05 AM »
glimmering depths are also terrible if you don't know the trick

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #571 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:16 AM »
it's still a bunch of claustrophobic shit which I autobomb

Auto-bomb Mad Dance

nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ark

• みょん
« Reply #572 on: August 25, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
So has anyone timed out Kanako's opener? I can only capture it maybe 1/2 the time.

« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »
I think the best someone has is 2DNB. That thing would be harder to time out than VoWG is.

I've only ever captured Kanako's opener once, with 2 double KO 1DNBs of it.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #574 on: August 25, 2010, 02:27:34 AM »
Wow, Mokou is fun to fight.

But Keine can still go to hell.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #575 on: August 25, 2010, 03:09:54 AM »
Ex-Keine's first and third cards are super easy, once you get into a set pattern. The second card is not too bad.

Here's what I do on her first card: For the first wave, stay exactly in the middle, on the very bottom (above the "e" in the Enemy marker). That automatically avoids all the blue bullets. Slowly move to the side once the red bullets come at you. Second wave: Do the exact same, except stay slightly off of centre (so, say, above the "n" or "m" in the Enemy marker). And then it repeats.

Third card: Starting at the very bottom in the middle, you can do the entire card without vertical movement. Just slowly move to the side once the red bullets come at you, and move back to middle when they're past. Every wave is the same.

ebarrett

« Reply #576 on: August 25, 2010, 03:25:25 AM »
I have a 10/140 on (Medoteko) or so

u trollin again

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2010, 03:27:10 AM »
Ex-Keine's first and third cards are super easy, once you get into a set pattern. The second card is not too bad.

Here's what I do on her first card: For the first wave, stay exactly in the middle, on the very bottom (above the "e" in the Enemy marker). That automatically avoids all the blue bullets. Slowly move to the side once the red bullets come at you. Second wave: Do the exact same, except stay slightly off of centre (so, say, above the "n" or "m" in the Enemy marker). And then it repeats.

Third card: Starting at the very bottom in the middle, you can do the entire card without vertical movement. Just slowly move to the side once the red bullets come at you, and move back to middle when they're past. Every wave is the same.
Hmm, thanks. I'll try this.
Thank God for Spell Practi- wait, can you do EX Stage cards without having captured them?
Huh.

I actually found her second card to be by far the easiest, although that isn't saying much. It's the only one that only requires one bomb from me :(
Card 1 (I haven't patched it.): 0 / 11
Card 2: 0 / 9
Card 3: 0 / 8

Mokou's Card 1: 0 / 2
Mokou's Card 2: 0 / 1
Mokou's Card 3: 0 / 0

As for Mokou herself, I have yet to fail on her first non-spell, but her first card almost always gets me. It's almost always either one life, or one bomb.
Her second nonspell isn't bad. I liked it. Died once.
Her second card is heck though. I always get hit by those pheonix formations and on the rare occasions that I don't it's those STATIC, UNMOVING knives that just sit there. Urgh, I have a bad taste in my mouth from the memory.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:30:30 AM by Mister Sanity »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2010, 04:24:35 AM »
What do I have to do to convince myself to stop fucking playing when I grow tired? Bang my head on the table when my reflexes go to hell? Bite a chunk off the wall when I can't keep track of my movements?

I have a 10/140 on that or so
it's gay, don't feel bad
what

Wait, I got something more to say.

what
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #579 on: August 25, 2010, 05:16:18 AM »
For Ex-Keine 1st and 3rd card, you can also just stream and weave through the bullets at the same time.
1st: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9989
3rd: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9990

It might be a good way to capture if you have trouble landing in the safespot.
The 2nd wave of the 1st card requires a bit of micro memorization in a couple of spots though.
This method also has the down side of prolonging the card, and the forward focus shot types will time it out.
So, only use it if you are Reimu/Yukari/Remillia/Yuyuko

ark

• みょん
« Reply #580 on: August 25, 2010, 05:39:58 AM »
What.

Please don't do that. Both waves of the first card are ridiculously easy if you know where to start. The third card can be micromemorized but it can be done easily with pure reading. The human and youkai patterns are slightly different. (As human, the bullets travel the same path, just faster.) I am almost always youkai when I do those, but the exact same techniques work as human too. (Third card as human I just sightread first try.)

I intentionally chose some weak shot types for these, just to demonstrate.
First card: Youkai / Human
Third card: Youkai / Human

Don't worry if you have trouble with Mokou's first card; it's one of her hardest. (As with any Extra boss, Mokou is pretty much all memorization though. The only cards you could reasonably be expected to capture upon first seeing them are Flaw of Forgiving Shrine and Phoenix's Tail. The former is easy; the latter is harder but it's pure dodging, so memorization doesn't help.) Here's a replay of how I do it with Reimu&Yukari. Staying up high at the start makes dodging the red knives easy. Move back when things get tough up high; usually you can go behind two rows of knives or so. Yukari kills it fast enough that it doesn't get tricky. (I have no tips for when it takes longer.)

For Flying Phoenix (see here to see the spellcard names I'm talking about), you need to misdirect the phoenixes so that you always have a path. You should never have to even get close to the phoenixes or the static bullets they leave behind. Here is how I dodge it, but it's not the only way.

---

Ugh, why can't I capture Source of Rains today? I could do it probably 75% of the time last night, but after nearly 10 attempts today I haven't captured it once. And it's not like I've gotten worse; I am faring much better at VoWG today than I was yesterday. What the hell.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:14:24 AM by Nereid »

« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
Trauma in the Glimmering Depths is easier.

Not really. I am not sure if it realistic to capture without memorizing how to do it but its just one single spot you need to remember. Still, until you find that spot its pretty tough. Medoteko is easy no matter how you put it. That is after you realize that all the amulets are aimed.

mikeKOSA

« Reply #582 on: August 25, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »
I think the best someone has is 2DNB. That thing would be harder to time out than VoWG is.

eh, not really

also, on that run i failed every single spell card except yamato torus.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #583 on: August 25, 2010, 08:10:30 AM »
Stuff

Play UFO

ACQUIRE SUDDEN SHMUP SKILLS

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #584 on: August 25, 2010, 08:12:16 AM »

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #585 on: August 25, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »

eh, not really

also, on that run i failed every single spell card except yamato torus.

H-how. No offense, but I was skeptical of the legitimacy of something from someone I've never seen around here, but you're the real deal! How do you do it so well? D:
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »
I've never played the lunatic version before (due to laziness of not wanting to credit feed and/or learn)
so I might be way off, but from what I observe in replays and my own experience in hard...

Due to the shape of those bullets and the way they are fired,
near the bottom they drift around quicker than perceived
just like the rice card (2nd), but many time faster in vertical speed.

So, either you have to look near the sprite to avoid misreads,
or you just have to train to not misread those bullets as vertical.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #587 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
I'm trying to beat Suwako, but every time I try, I always make stupid mistakes.  I've managed to do a somewhat decent job on all of her spell cards at least a few time, but the problem is, I'm inconsistent.  Every time I do something right in one part, I mess up horribly in another part.  Just earlier today, I got to her final spell card for the second time (seems to be one of the easier final Extra spell cards I've faced.  It's just a little nerve-wracking) with only one life and 2 bombs.  I survived until Suwako's health bar was about (estimation) 7/8ths of the way down.  If I can JUST eliminate, or even just reduce, my dumb mistakes, I'll finally be able to beat her.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #588 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Play UFO

Lemme fix that.

Sue me. I was bored

(inb4gettingbanned)

Drake

« Reply #589 on: August 25, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
PLAY [shmup that actually requires skillful non-pattern-based dodging]

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

rfw

« Reply #590 on: August 25, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
The fact I still haven't quite gotten out of the nasty habit of SLAMMING SIDEWAYS INTO SLOW MOVING BULLETS, which is particularly infuriating when it happens right at the end of a spell card :(

« Reply #591 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »
So has anyone timed out Kanako's opener? I can only capture it maybe 1/2 the time.

I have thought of attempting it numerous times but i have never attempted it. Still, it would be pretty hard.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #592 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:38 AM »
PLAY [shmup that actually requires skillful non-pattern-based dodging]

Don't make me do that. :V :V :V

« Reply #593 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
Don't make me do that. :V :V :V

Just any shmup that isn't Touhou should do.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #594 on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Thunder Force III & IV are shining examples. :smug:

Bananamatic

« Reply #595 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:49 PM »
play dimahoo
get women

also

« Reply #596 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »
Just ran a Recovery on the computer.

Realized I forgot to backup my StB, DS, and GFW score.dats.

There went my progress on those games.

At least I remembered to back up everything else from EoSD- UFO.

« Reply #597 on: August 25, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
play dimahoo
get women

also

Yeah! Dimahoo is a fun game. I haven't made it past Stage 5 though... oh and seriously Banana, i don't understand your VoWG capture rate. I mean, you are a good shmup player and VoWG just seems like one of those cards you would be good at. But looking at your other capture rates i'd estimate that its just Kanako who hates you.

StB, DS

Have fun doing everything again! >:D

« Reply #598 on: August 25, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
Die to Kogasa, Stage 3 owns most of my lives, game over on Murasa's survival card.

Have fun doing everything again! >:D

I don't think I'm going to bother. I could use a score.dat for Fairy Wars though so I don't have to 1cc 6 it 6 more times.

Edit: I completely fail. Derpy as hell run. I died to Nazrin on Stage 1. I bombed twice on stage 2 before the midboss, died twice on stage 2, died 3 times on Stage 3.

Needless to say I game overed on the opener.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:46:21 PM by Phoenixma »

« Reply #599 on: August 25, 2010, 08:48:51 PM »
I don't think I'm going to bother. I could use a score.dat for Fairy Wars though so I don't have to 1cc 6 it 6 more times.

I don't think i would either if i lost my score.dat
and here is one for fairywars:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5jbcoc4d8bazcd7