Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151753 times)

Formless God

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2010, 03:34:36 AM »
Yes and its even people who still considers capturing VoWG an accomplishment. Cause' i don't. I find VoWG absolutely trivial compared to Byakuren's mindfuck.
I want this man probated again.

« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Wait what the fuck, capturing one of the hardest cards in the series on Lunatic isn't an accomplishment anymore?

I didn't mean to claim that capturing VoWG isn't an accomplishment. You know, when i beat VoWG for the first time i also considered it a huge accomplishment. It just so happens that i have done so over 50 times so naturally i don't find it an accomplishment anymore right?

I want this man probated again.

I didn't mean to insult anyone. I just don't understand how anyone can say LFS is easier than VoWG.

Aside from those truly static patterns, anything and everything1 that's directly aimed at your hitbox. "Memorizeable" attacks are technically everywhere in the series. For instance, not just Sanae's first card, but also her midboss card2, the first parts of her midboss and first boss nonspell, and her third card2. I know you and others don't like having to memorize these things, but Jaimers is right, you memorize parts of the games just by playing through them for a while. It's an undeniable part of bullet hells.

1Doesn't count when enemies fire at randomized times.
2Not counting exactly where she moves to.

Well those cards i can forgive. BoWaP, Sanae's midboss card etc. Both are spellcards i can handle without memorizing them. And Youmu's non-spells too. I have pretty much memorized the patterns of those attacks but i didn't need to learn them before i was able to capture them. They can realistically be dodged without memorization.

The route you unconsciously memorized to go through every Touhou game.

I don't mind that.

The bullets are aimed around you and the lasers plus streams are static.
Misdirect. Dodgem.
Bottom of the screen is a deathtrap.

I'll take note of that advice.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:09:46 AM by Uncle Zengeku »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »

FFFFFFFU
The area had so much free space and yet I went straight into a bullet!
(note vsync patch lets you slow down during replay, the game actually ran at 60fps not 30)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:54:50 AM by jsonchiu »

« Reply #543 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
I didn't mean to insult anyone. I just don't understand how anyone can say LFS is easier than VoWG.

So you have played VoWG hundreds of times; am I wrong if I guess the time you have spent with LFS isn't even one tenth of that?
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

« Reply #544 on: August 23, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
So you have played VoWG hundreds of times; am I wrong if I guess the time you have spent with LFS isn't even one tenth of that?

At the 100 tries mark for VoWG i had about 30 captures. At the 40 mark of LFS i still only have 1 capture.

Formless God

« Reply #545 on: August 23, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
Well ... there's your problem. I only got consistent with LFS around the 80~100 mark. It's a memorization card, practice it moar.

« Reply #546 on: August 23, 2010, 04:52:11 PM »
Well ... there's your problem. I only got consistent with LFS around the 80~100 mark. It's a memorization card, practice it moar.

It doesn't have to be memorized though, but it will make your life easier if you do. And just how much stuff has to be memorized about LFS anyway if you go that route? I don't have access to the Lunatic version. Either way it's ridiculous when compared to the memorization needed for the 1 other static final card in the series, that one is just turn around here, turn around there, capture/time out almost every time.

Also, I can't think of any other memorization card in the series that is harder than LFS is. Also, once I heard that Flying Fantastica and LFS could actually be memorized, I hated the card a lot more than I already did.

« Reply #547 on: August 23, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
Well you know i hate memorization cards. Mainly because it takes an eternity for me to build up a pattern that i can consistently execute. Everything would seem its a card i might be able to tackle well someday though. For now, i don't like the card because it doesn't feel like it gives me a chance.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #548 on: August 23, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
LFO is easier because (in my opinion at least) it's easier to read. Maybe I just suck at the kind of dodging VoWG requires, but my capture rate on VoWG is about a fourth of my capture rate for LFO, and I've played VoWG more.

Also it's not necessarily about memorization, because it's virtually impossible to replicate your position at the time of firing for each wave.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ark

• みょん
« Reply #549 on: August 23, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »
I can't capture Flying Fantastica on Normal ffs.

« Reply #550 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
LFO is easier because (in my opinion at least) it's easier to read. Maybe I just suck at the kind of dodging VoWG requires, but my capture rate on VoWG is about a fourth of my capture rate for LFO, and I've played VoWG more.

I wish i knew how you find it easier to read. At Virtue of Wind God i usually, in my mind, each of the amulet walls into a single long bullet and weave around them. The only threat there really is to me at Virtue of Wind God is when i mess my reading up and have to dodge through a wall. At that point it boils down to reflexes.

At LFO i find it that you are centered almost the entire time and find openings. I just find it harder because there are more bullets in a way. I suppose VoWG has more bullets but because they always come in close formation i can expect them all to go the same way. In LFO, every bullet have its own path and so i find it very easy to miss one.

So i guess its just me and you who excel at each our own kind of dodging. Anyway... is there any advice that would be valuable to have against LFO? I honestly don't recall if i've asked this before but i'll try anyway. What would be best to focus on when playing the card when it comes to looking for gaps?

« Reply #551 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
According to Baity, it's best to use only left, right, up, and down when playing LFO, and to avoid diagonal movement altogether. I also try to remember that the cards can only be on the wires Byakuren makes, so if you stay in "clear" area you're mostly safe. Not especially guaranteed to help, but it's something. LFO is balls-to-the-wall hard no matter how you look at it :ohdear:

Also, what is the difference between memorizing a path through the game and memorizing a single spellcard? :/

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #552 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
quotestripesquotestripesquotestripesquotestripesquotestripeswithaddedbreaksforpatternzzzz

According to Baity, it's best to use only left, right, up, and down when playing LFO, and to avoid diagonal movement altogether.
This was emphasized when doing No Focus runs (why would you do that to yourself). I do generally speaking try to stick to this when doing normal runs but I've been known to accidentally slip and ram walls when I'm clearly not supposed to  :derp:

It's just easier to move through angled (or rather, curving) bullets when you're going in one solid direction.

Also it's not necessarily about memorization, because it's virtually impossible to replicate your position at the time of firing for each wave.
-and the fact that every time the circles are fired, the "displacement" of the amulets is different each time.

At the 100 tries mark for VoWG i had about 30 captures. At the 40 mark of LFS i still only have 1 capture.
Food for thought, in a similar vein of things, how many attempts did it take to get your first "VoWG" capture?
Anyway... is there any advice that would be valuable to have against LFO? I honestly don't recall if i've asked this before but i'll try anyway. What would be best to focus on when playing the card when it comes to looking for gaps?
Move to the side? Gap reading just comes with practice.

And just how much stuff has to be memorized about LFS anyway if you go that route?
Donut's: Up to here, down to the bottom, up to that same spot, down to the bottom, repeat as humanly as possible. IIRC it was something like that.

Any other forms of "memorization" would be anything from my routine sight-read movement (left-up-right-down or up-left-right-up-down, or etc.), ceasing firing for one wave of bullets (as Phar does; note that I don't understand why you would need to do this as I've had no problems doing this Spell Card with ReimuA even when constantly firing) or other minor things.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #553 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »
Really ZUN? The Hard/Lunatic difficulties of GFW is the same but with those stupid "bullets released upon death" from UFO stage 1 for the WHOLE GAME!?
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

nintendonut888

« Reply #554 on: August 23, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
Uh, no. Hard/lunatic continue to ramp up the difficulty, it's just that adding revenge bullets is the most noticeable difference. Besides, they're made for grazing for charge.

EDIT: 2cc of C1. Luna's non-spells are so nasty...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:44:36 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2010, 03:41:48 AM »
Fuck PCB. Seriously, why do I even bother trying to 1cc this? some of the backgrounds are too lightly colored so I can't even see what hits me half the time in stage segments, Youmu's time slow is absurdly montonus bullshit and those bullets on half of Yuyuko's spellcards block your damn hitbox from view. Also, scoring system sucks too.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:06 AM »
You are wrong. :V

And if you're staring at your hitbox you're doing it wrong.

« Reply #557 on: August 24, 2010, 07:38:10 AM »
Food for thought, in a similar vein of things, how many attempts did it take to get your first "VoWG" capture?

Also, what is the difference between memorizing a path through the game and memorizing a single spellcard? :/

One thing is subconciously done and the other isn't.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #558 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
It only took me two to capture VoWG - wait, no, that doesn't count.

lulzy MarisaC.

In the mean time, I 1DNB MoF Lunatic Stage 5.

Where did I die?...

Sanae's second nonspell. :V

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #559 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:10 AM »
This was what I was bitching about in the highscore thread

Linky

Also: Failed another PCB extra 1cc thanks to: Gaming Over with bombs in stock in the final moments of the survival attack AND failing WIzard Fox's thoughts (2D2B). WAIT WHAT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE

Unrelated News: Crappy Exams are finaly over

WAIT WHAT!?
I JUST 1cc'd UFO Normal AND WHAT IS THIS?!

wat? (the Extra Start Selection is disabled)

Oh are you serious?!

GOD DAMMIT ZUN
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:38:18 PM by GenericClipdeath »

« Reply #560 on: August 24, 2010, 04:03:57 PM »
GOD DAMMIT ZUN

Hmm... ZUN makes glitches again. I also had a case of me not being able to go to stage 4-6 Lunatic with SanaeB and not being able to play Extra despite having cleared Normal with everyone and Hard with anyone who ain't MarisaB.

For unexplainable reasons.

« Reply #561 on: August 24, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
So uh, I was playing PCB Normal, got to the Prismriver Sisters' last card with 3 lives remaining on my first credit.  Now, let's skip ahead a few minutes to just after Youmu's last.

1 life remaining... on my 5th credit. ???

"Well, that sucked." I thought to myself, "but at least I got to stage 4 on one credit!"

Then I looked at the options menu and noticed two things:
1) I had my starting life count set to 4, not 2. (This also gave me 4 lives on each continue)
2) I had slow mode on.

I turned slow mode off, and haven't been to Alice since. :(

nintendonut888

« Reply #562 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »
I failed Mad Dance on Medoteko. Not just that, I died to it twice. In the same run.

This...this is the end.

:colonveeplusalpha:

Bananamatic

« Reply #563 on: August 24, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
I failed Mad Dance on Medoteko. Not just that, I died to it twice. In the same run.

This...this is the end.

:colonveeplusalpha:
I have a 10/140 on that or so
it's gay, don't feel bad

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #564 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #565 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:40 PM »
I have a 10/140 on that or so
it's gay, don't feel bad

As gay as slightly tapping a button can be. Really, the only thing that can go wrong with this attack is if you position yourself wrong and get slammed by the lasers.

Bananamatic

« Reply #566 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:02 AM »
it's still a bunch of claustrophobic shit which I autobomb

ark

• みょん
« Reply #567 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
It's the easiest spellcard in the entire game though.

Oh and I failed it for the first time ever yesterday. no more 30/30 or so history for me :<

« Reply #568 on: August 25, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
Trauma in the Glimmering Depths is easier.

I have managed to get walled by Medoteko a few times.

On the subject of Medoteko, any way to manipulate how far Kanako decides to move. It seems like a pretty lame move in terms of scoring if you get that far then she decides to stay too far away to do any decent damage costing you a lot of spell bonus points.

Not that I'm serious about playing it for score because you have to no miss the entire game or your score won't be any good.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #569 on: August 25, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
Trauma in the Glimmering Depths is easier.
It can't be easier. I'm pretty sure I failed that card the first time I tried it.

There isn't really a way to manipulate how far Kanako moves on Medoteko, it's just luck. Most of the time you can kill her after just two waves though, with ReimuB.