Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151794 times)

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #510 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Why is GFW Extra harder than GFW Lunatic?
Spoiler:
Marisa's
attacks are cheap! All of your cards are retarded gimmicks. The only extra boss i have hated this much before is Evil Eye Sigma.

Did you not read the discussion of spoilers right above you? God damn, dude.

Related note, I absolutely despise Luna Child as the leader for the Three Fairies :/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:37:16 PM by SenSageUn »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #511 on: August 21, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
Made it to the 3 Fairies' last non-spell. I am confused how so many people have already 1cc'd lunatic. :<
For me, lots of practice. And plenty of planned bombs. And the (relatively) large amount of extra lives the final boss gives out. I assume you're still trying A-1?

EDIT: And now I see the 1cc you posted in the scoreboard.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #512 on: August 21, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
On the plus side, got to
Spoiler:
Marisa
, yay!

On the minus side, holy shit gettin' raped by the nonspells 'cuzza my sucky reflexes.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
On the plus side, got to
Spoiler:
Marisa
, yay!

On the minus side, holy shit gettin' raped by the nonspells 'cuzza my sucky reflexes.
They're really all about timing freezes. Unfortunately, doing that is itself quite hard.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
Arrgh that fucking Byakuren! What must i do to make her not dreadful? Why does VoWG seem easy compared to anything she has outside of most of her non-spells? Its annoying!

*Rage*

How the fuck do you die three times to Good Omen what's wrong with me?

EES looks pretty fun, too bad the main mode is unplayable garbage

Maybe he would be if it wasn't SoEW.

Did you not read the discussion of spoilers right above you? God damn, dude.

Related note, I absolutely despise Luna Child as the leader for the Three Fairies :/

Sorry. Sorry. Fixed it. Didn't mean to "spoil" anything. As for Luna Child, i generally find her annoying in the game as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:23:08 PM by Uncle Zengeku »

« Reply #515 on: August 21, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
Failed a capture on Ichirin's second card on Lunatic because the brofist hitboxes seem bigger than the brofists are.

Also, I am tired of dying because I can't see the bullets on her first card.

« Reply #516 on: August 21, 2010, 07:52:50 PM »
And i had a case of beautiful dodging of anything Devil's Recitation throws at me only to be rammed by the arrowhead walls in the sides at the final moment of dodging. This is what i don't like. I hate being hit by something like that.

And Superhuman: Byakuren stacked two blue bullets on top of each other i dodged one bullet but then a bullet came out of the bullet and hit me. Its generally a pattern that's easy to read but sometimes it pulls a stunt like that.

Failed a capture on Ichirin's second card on Lunatic because the brofist hitboxes seem bigger than the brofists are.

Also, I am tired of dying because I can't see the bullets on her first card.

Yes! This! Totally this! If freezing is the gimmick in GFW then not being able to see what kills you is the gimmick in UFO. I am actually getting the feeling that its not UFO i hate. Its just certain parts of it that i despite so much that it possesses me into thinking its the entire game.

Really! Most of Shou's stuff is great and there isn't really anything wrong with any of the other stages. Well... except for PSM.

I'm not attempting to restart the UFO discussion. I just need to get the frustration off my chest. I think i'll play some more Shou. She's good girl.

« Reply #517 on: August 22, 2010, 01:25:22 AM »
I'm not attempting to restart the UFO discussion. I just need to get the frustration off my chest. I think i'll play some more Shou. She's good girl.

No no no, please, let's hear it. I have no trouble reading the ADD bullets and dodging them appropriately, nor do I find any irregular hitboxes like Unzan's fists troublesome, since they are still smaller than the sprite (by a fair bit). If I didn't see myself get hit by a bullet, then I know it was purely my poor reading ability that get me killed, and that I could've done better. I'd like to hear what you honestly think is wrong, especially considering all I'm seeing so far is you not being able to read the bullets correctly. Or probably more accurately, reading the wrong bullets. But even this I'm unsure about, since you claim to like battling Shou, who has two of the three "hardest" ADD bullet spam dodgem cards in the game, which are notorious for incorrect readings.

« Reply #518 on: August 22, 2010, 02:37:39 AM »
I'll give you Radiant Treasure Gun, but what other one? Complete Clarification is easy, though I suck at it.

I find that Shou's ones don't tend to cover others as much. After fighting her on recent Hard 1cc attempts and getting her Lunatic fight unlocked and doing some practice, I really like her fight the most out of the main game ones as well. No gimmicks outside of the curving lasers, pure read and dodge, which are my preferred attacks, even though it's one of my weaker skillsets.

As for other ones that use it, I have made my complaints about Ichirin's first boss card making the bullets hard to see due to the brofists. Murasa's third spellcard isn't too bad, but I do occasionally get a bad read due to these. Greatest Treasure seems to be a slightly easier version compared to RTG, though still pretty hard. My problems with these are really Ichirin's first boss card and the postNazrin stage 5. Maybe some Byakuren stuff also, but I forget which if any use them. Most of the other uses of them, I'm fine with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:45:12 AM by Phoenixma »

« Reply #519 on: August 22, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »
Is it bad that, on Lunatic, I think Shou's final midspell is harder than Vajra? :V

ark

• みょん
« Reply #520 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:42 AM »
Is it bad that, on Lunatic, I think Shou's final midspell is harder than Vajra? :V
You could use the trick to make that nonspell easy. :v
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:50:38 AM by Nereid »

« Reply #521 on: August 22, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »
No no no, please, let's hear it. I have no trouble reading the ADD bullets and dodging them appropriately, nor do I find any irregular hitboxes like Unzan's fists troublesome, since they are still smaller than the sprite (by a fair bit). If I didn't see myself get hit by a bullet, then I know it was purely my poor reading ability that get me killed, and that I could've done better. I'd like to hear what you honestly think is wrong, especially considering all I'm seeing so far is you not being able to read the bullets correctly. Or probably more accurately, reading the wrong bullets. But even this I'm unsure about, since you claim to like battling Shou, who has two of the three "hardest" ADD bullet spam dodgem cards in the game, which are notorious for incorrect readings.

Okay then. First off, i don't find Unzan's fists to be that troublesome at all. Let's begin with King Kraken Strike. Its like the card wasn't hard to begin with so let's just make everything pink and shake the screen. I can't say i have practiced it much though.

Next up, Good Omen. I die way too often to this for a spell that only takes about 15 seconds to beat. Its usually something involving me reading things wrong naturally. It might be how bullets come at an angle that messes my reading of it up.

Then Makai Butterfly. Uh? What next? I forgot? *Butterflied*

Devil's Recitation. I don't like to get killed by the lasers and arrowheads everytime i dodge the bullets correctly.

Superhuman. Normally easy card that sometimes cheats by lugging two bullets so closely together that i don't notice them before one of them hits me as i was dodging the single bullet i knew was there.

Legendary Flying Saucer. Amulets flying in all directions. Usually fry my brain around the last phase where the red ones appear. I don't like this sort of difficulty. Its unlike VoWG where you just have to react fast enough. In this card i just have no clue as to how to read it. Its just a whirling mish-mash of amulets that i don't see how is supposed to be dodged.

There. That's what i honestly think is wrong.

ark

• みょん
« Reply #522 on: August 22, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »
Okay then. First off, i don't find Unzan's fists to be that troublesome at all. Let's begin with King Kraken Strike. Its like the card wasn't hard to begin with so let's just make everything pink and shake the screen. I can't say i have practiced it much though.
The screen shakes? I had honestly never noticed.

« Reply #523 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:49 AM »
Oh and apparently Kogasa is harder than Ichirin, Murasa and Shou. Is there something i'm missing here?

The screen shakes? I had honestly never noticed.

Its only a mild shake and its not when the bullets are actually coming. Its just there to make my reading of the card even more troubling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:35:47 AM by Uncle Zengeku »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #524 on: August 22, 2010, 10:17:27 AM »
Kogasa's only tough spellcard is PSM though. (And maybe that last one, but that could just be because I haven't figured it out. In any case it's not as bad as a lot of the later stuff.) And her nonspells are cake.

« Reply #525 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Kogasa's only tough spellcard is PSM though. (And maybe that last one, but that could just be because I haven't figured it out. In any case it's not as bad as a lot of the later stuff.) And her nonspells are cake.

I dunno. The 2nd card does get really dense around the center sometimes. And her non-spells are indeed easy. I hate the 2nd one though. I sometimes tap too hard.

« Reply #526 on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »

Don't really like the card either, to be honest. But I notice that I'm getting better at dodging it lately, so I'd say you'd just need to get better.

Next up, Good Omen. I die way too often to this for a spell that only takes about 15 seconds to beat. Its usually something involving me reading things wrong naturally. It might be how bullets come at an angle that messes my reading of it up.

This is a pure dodgem. If you're failing it, then it's just beyond your level.
Spoiler:
I fail it pretty regularly too, so.

Then Makai Butterfly. Uh? What next? I forgot? *Butterflied*

One of only two pure memorizers in the whole game, just deal with it. It's not like it's a hard one to memorize, it's only 5-6 pretty lenient positions. I don't really like memorizing either, but whatever.

Devil's Recitation. I don't like to get killed by the lasers and arrowheads everytime i dodge the bullets correctly.

Spoiler:
If you're getting hit then you're not dodging them correctly.

Superhuman. Normally easy card that sometimes cheats by lugging two bullets so closely together that i don't notice them before one of them hits me as i was dodging the single bullet i knew was there.

Yeah, no issue with this at all either. If you're getting hit then you're reading it incorrectly. You'll just get better at reading the bullets and noticing when they overlap as you play more shmups.

Legendary Flying Saucer. Amulets flying in all directions. Usually fry my brain around the last phase where the red ones appear. I don't like this sort of difficulty. Its unlike VoWG where you just have to react fast enough. In this card i just have no clue as to how to read it. Its just a whirling mish-mash of amulets that i don't see how is supposed to be dodged.

Yet people dodge it quite consistantly. :/ Again, this is just something you'll just get better at as you continue to play shmup games.

You guys are just gonna have to get over PSM. You can safespot it if you really don't want to dodge it, but it's still realistic to do otherwise (just pretty hard, we know). Kogasa's train card is not difficult once you realise how to dodge it, so I won't comment on it. There is nothing wrong with her rain card.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #527 on: August 22, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
omfg ex-keine

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #528 on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
I dunno. The 2nd card does get really dense around the center sometimes.

Move away from the center.

« Reply #529 on: August 22, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
I can't even play Touhou at the moment cause my computer is screwing up.

Occasionally the monitor would just go black for a bit a random then would work again. This I could deal with, though it sucks when it happens it always causes me a death.

Computer was working just fine.

This morning, I wake up and the thing's doing it and I can't get Windows to come back up. I try restarting, it very rarely is working, but then it still doesn't restart the whole way then the monitor just goes black again and I can't tell if Windows actually started or not.

Oh, but if I get the option for Safe Mode, I can actually get it to restart. Of course, that means most of my drivers don't work, which means no games in general on it.

I hope I can get this working soon. If I don't play these games for a while I start to suck way too much. Woke up around 5AM this morning, it's 12:58 PM now just to show how long this has been pissing me off.

Stupid Monitor/Computer/Power/ whatever is causing me this problem preventing me from playing Touhou.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #530 on: August 22, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
the downside to having a shiny new widescreen monitor is that everything is streeeeetched

I can't deal with this

is there any way to run the games in 1280x1024 on my 1920x1080 desktop

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
Well, if you are up to discussing things then so am i. I don't want to come off as unreasonable but these are still things that plague me in UFO that isn't present in earlier games. Regardless of how they are legitimately possible.

Move away from the center.

Stay under the center until things start to go out of hand, then move back to the center when the density lowers again?

Don't really like the card either, to be honest. But I notice that I'm getting better at dodging it lately, so I'd say you'd just need to get better.
I understand that practicing will improve your sucess rate but it still makes me annoyed as it seems like ZUN decided to make a lazy challenge instead of the more pure and less gimmicky challenges of the past. Its a challenge that relies on somehow distracting me with some immaterial bullshit. I know it all comes down to me that needs to improve and learn to focus on the important stuff but its still annoying.

One of only two pure memorizers in the whole game, just deal with it. It's not like it's a hard one to memorize, it's only 5-6 pretty lenient positions. I don't really like memorizing either, but whatever.

It just so happens that i am completely intolerant of memorization. I don't just dislike it, i find it the equivalent of an insult. Here! Die because you don't know what to do/or forgot what to do.

I'm told there is an equal amount of memorization in the earlier Touhou games but i am hard-pressed to find them. Okay, there is Hourai Jewel. Oh and Keine's General HQ Crisis. Easy as pie. Sanae's first card then. Yeah, that sucks too.

Feel free to bring some to my attention.

[qoute]
Spoiler:
If you're getting hit then you're not dodging them correctly.
[/quote]

Yeah that didn't help much. I don't see much indication to what the right way to dodge things are so until someone enlightens me i'll have no choice but consider it luck-garbage. Hope the lasers aren't where you need to go.

Yet people dodge it quite consistantly. :/ Again, this is just something you'll just get better at as you continue to play shmup games.

Yes and its even people who still considers capturing VoWG an accomplishment. Cause' i don't. I find VoWG absolutely trivial compared to Byakuren's mindfuck.

You guys are just gonna have to get over PSM. You can safespot it if you really don't want to dodge it, but it's still realistic to do otherwise (just pretty hard, we know). Kogasa's train card is not difficult once you realise how to dodge it, so I won't comment on it. There is nothing wrong with her rain card.

And the best way to do that is hack the card out of the game. Get it the hell out of Stage 2 and back to the trashcan where it belongs.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
the downside to having a shiny new widescreen monitor is that everything is streeeeetched

I can't deal with this

TATE perhaps?
Alternatively, windowed mode plus Sizer

Stay under the center until things start to go out of hand, then move back to the center when the density lowers again?

Yeah. You might have noticed a ring around Kogasa that shrinks and expands. This determines the concentration and spread of the bullets. When shrunk get the hell out of dodge.

The route you unconsciously memorized to go through every Touhou game.

Yeah that didn't help much. I don't see much indication to what the right way to dodge things are so until someone enlightens me i'll have no choice but consider it luck-garbage. Hope the lasers aren't where you need to go.

The bullets are aimed around you and the lasers plus streams are static.
Misdirect. Dodgem.
Bottom of the screen is a deathtrap.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #533 on: August 22, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
Aside from those truly static patterns, anything and everything1 that's directly aimed at your hitbox. "Memorizeable" attacks are technically everywhere in the series. For instance, not just Sanae's first card, but also her midboss card2, the first parts of her midboss and first boss nonspell, and her third card2. I know you and others don't like having to memorize these things, but Jaimers is right, you memorize parts of the games just by playing through them for a while. It's an undeniable part of bullet hells.

1Doesn't count when enemies fire at randomized times.
2Not counting exactly where she moves to.

« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
Yes and its even people who still considers capturing VoWG an accomplishment. Cause' i don't. I find VoWG absolutely trivial compared to Byakuren's mindfuck.

Wait what the fuck, capturing one of the hardest cards in the series on Lunatic isn't an accomplishment anymore?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:53 AM »

I can't deal with this

Run it in windowed mode?  Should work.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #536 on: August 23, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »
@Shim: If you have a video card, there's usually an option that allows you to preserve aspect ratio on fullscreened games, that's what fixed it for me. I don't have to do that anymore even, because my new widescreen monitor automatically adjusts. Somehow. Haven't figured out how it does it yet but it does. :/
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Inactive person

• カナ●アナベラルは俺の嫁 異議は認めない
  • I'm never on :V
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2010, 01:53:45 AM »
Got to Kanako with 4 lives left.
Me : YES!  I can beat her now since I only needed 2 lives in Practice mode!
Died once on that knife attack, didn't bother me since I never capture it and I didn't have any bombs.
I tapped too slow on the streaming part of the final non-spell and died, still have one extra life, I can do this..
For some odd reason, decided not to bomb when I knew I was going to die in the next spell card, and game overed at VoWG when it barely had like 10 seconds left :(
I miraculously captured Peerless Wind God for the first time too..

Bananamatic

« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2010, 02:43:56 AM »
ehh about kogasa's second

I find it easier on lunatic than on hard

and I don't remember having to move from the middle on lunatic, period

ark

• みょん
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:24 AM »
You could run them in full screen and let your display driver/display correct the aspect ratio for you. I know NVIDIA drivers can do that for sure.

and I don't remember having to move from the middle on lunatic, period
this
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:29:45 AM by Nereid »