Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151674 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:00 AM »
As if I wasn't already fed up with glowing bullets.

I am now convinced that the glowing properties of any bullet moving at least somewhat fast interferes with my ability to read even their individual trajectories. This isn't just the bullets blending into each other anymore - any glowing bullet that's not reasonably slow appears too vaguely defined for me to adequately judge and dodge. Never mind the fact that all bullets moving at decent speeds already appear to have choppy movements by virtue of the games running at a measly 60 FPS. But my God, why does UFO keep finding ways to make me hate it more? I really want another good reason to play that game other than "because it exists".
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2010, 04:14:37 AM »
I made it past Ran's Charming Seige From All Sides card with 1 Life and 1 Bomb left... the next card ended me.

8lue Wizard

• Cobalt Magician
  • (Apparently)
« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:58 AM »
by virtue of the games running at a measly 60 FPS

60 fps is what it's supposed to run at, isn't it? Or are you saying that 6 times faster than the human eye can process an image is too slow?

...is there something you're not telling us?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2010, 06:22:05 AM »
Yes, it's supposed to run at 60 FPS. Everyone and their mother knows that. My point is that limiting a moving object to only 60 different positions per second means that quickly covering a lot of ground will produce what appears to be a "skipping" or otherwise "not smooth" motion as it travels (even though it is technically still traveling in a straight line or whatever motion it's programmed to have). This limit in the amount of positions a fast bullet can have is the reason you see things like Aya getting inside one of Suwako's iron rings in DS (two fast-moving objects appear to skip over each other).

Now I'm not an expert on exactly how other shumps implement higher FPS, though I hear it does happen, and supposedly for the very reason to prevent skipping over bullets. Again, not an expert, so don't quote me on that. A higher FPS in Touhou games would solve a problem like this, but we all know ZUN will never implement it. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2010, 07:07:39 AM »
For motion, 60FPS is pretty smooth imo.
Even if you increase the fps, your monitor won't update that quick to stop the choppiness.
The solution to fast bullet choppiness is motion blur, which would obviously screwup dodging.

Sure you can increase the fps to stop the lucky dodges, but why? I mean, they aren't happening that often.
Plus, some people can't play it more than 60fps due to crappy computer.

ebarrett

« Reply #275 on: July 20, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
Bullets don't have choppy movements because of 60fps, bullets have choppy movements because you have choppy reading.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
My third 1DNB of Murasa. Where did I fail?

Her second non-spell.

...There are times you can only laugh. It being 3:08 in the morning helps.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »
Watch the high score replay and be amazed.
To be a bit more on the fair side, it's best to compare with a similar Shot Type. Particularly since Reimu can't graze bullets worth crap in most cases.

Boosting Item Value itself isn't that difficult over the course of the game; IIRC I was able to get to 40k in my first 1cc by simply collecting Blue UFOs and using Bombs to maximize freedom of movement.

I WARNED YOU ABOUT LUCKSHIT BRO

I TOLD YOU DOG
Yeah, "luckshit" that only occurs once every 200 or so runs.

I'm still waiting you know. Hop to it and show us what you're made of.

Now I'm not an expert on exactly how other shumps implement higher FPS, though I hear it does happen, and supposedly for the very reason to prevent skipping over bullets. Again, not an expert, so don't quote me on that. A higher FPS in Touhou games would solve a problem like this, but we all know ZUN will never implement it. :V
Older shmups don't have higher FPS at all. Only the newer (or rather, more recent) ones do because they're running on specific hardware that allows for a higher FPS.

EDIT:
Even if you increase the fps, your monitor won't update that quick to stop the choppiness.
And while we're at it, a large number of people don't / can't even run monitors that have the capacity to run a refresh rate of >60Hz.

Not going to comment on choppiness and its relation to reading a trajectory.

I didn't see the bullet until it was too late; by the time my eyes did register "oh there's a bullet" I was already going on an imminent side-on collision with said bullet.
...or I could blame the fact that I didn't manage to destroy one UFO on Stage 2, thereby depriving me of my much "needed" fragment.

Cut: I'm honestly surprised you haven't done it yet. In all honesty, I've actually lost count how many times I've perfected her. Now go get some sleep like a "normal person".
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:20:07 AM by Baitikkuri »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »
It's her third non-spell. If I could become consistent on it I'd have done it already. But when it's not that non-spell it's Dipper Creeping Close. And when it's not Dipper Creeping Close it's Sinkable Vortex. And when it's none of those...derp mistakes like this happen. :( Hence why I Hate Perfecting Bosses.

* Donut drops into dream land
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #279 on: July 20, 2010, 07:43:08 PM »
...game over on Scarlet Meister at 0%ish health followed by Scarlet Gensokyo capture THIS IS MAKING ME RAGE AT A VERY RAPID RATE

On the plus side Patchouli only took 4 lives this time so that's a major improvement

Edit: after falling back to Hard I swear Hard is harder than Lunatic because Remilia's cards are either exactly the same or more of a clusterfuck than they are on Lunatic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:18:27 PM by Jeffrey »

nintendonut888

« Reply #280 on: July 21, 2010, 03:50:32 AM »
Fourth 1DNB run of Murasa. This time I got an unlucky position in Eternally Anchored Ghost Ship and got essentially walled. X( Sooner or later I'll run out of places to ruin myself.

dustyjo

« Reply #281 on: July 21, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
I was happy about beating 12.3 arcade mode on lunatic, until I figured out that the difficulty selection on the character select screen doesn't work.

« Reply #282 on: July 21, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »
Fourth 1DNB run of Murasa. This time I got an unlucky position in Eternally Anchored Ghost Ship and got essentially walled. X( Sooner or later I'll run out of places to ruin myself.

Don't worry. You'll mess up at survival card when the time comes.

« Reply #283 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
Lunatic 2cc of PCB.

Why was it a 2cc?

I died three times on Chen.

dsfkjasldfjas

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »
jhbfhzdhdzjhbdzgj,bdzlgdfgdxbvgaukfgsdukfysgdkfjhsbakjdfbhsadkjfbhsadjkfbhsadkfjbhsakjfbvsdkjbfhsjkabfhkjsabfjksbfjksdbhafjksadbfsjkadbfsjkadfbsajkdbfhsajkdbfhasjkdbfhsadjkbfajksdbfhadjkbfhasjkdbfhajkdfbgakdjfbgdkajfbgkadhbvfgdjklabfgadhmvfghkasdbvfhkasgvfbjkasdhglyhJHDFJLKBHFJKBJKABFJKABFAHKDGVFUSHLADBFJLASDBHFJKSDBVHFSMADVGVFSJKAVFABMMDGVFJASDHBGVFJHSGADVFSDGVFBASGDVFJ,SDVFHBSDAVNSDAVFNMHSBADVFJ,SVHADJHSGAVDFJKSVADHKFSAVDJKFVGAKSJDFHVJKASVFJKSADHVFUKJASDBGFKJSVHADMFHBASJDFGKSJAFILSudGHBFUKSDJZBFSJKZFGSJKZBVFDJKZBVGSJKZBV

anytime you want to bomb

anytime at all

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #285 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:36 AM »
After finally getting past EoSD Stage 2 Lunatic without dying very stupidly*, another 1cc attempt ended at Vampire Illusion. I ended up no-deathing everything up until the last attack in Stage 4's stage portion, where I utterly messed up my motions. It went all downhill from there. CLIPPED a laser in Patchouli's second nonspell at the very last possible moment, died on Mercury Poison and Emerald Megalith (then again, everyone seems to die on Emerald Megalith). Somehow managed to pull off some deathbombs during Sakuya, but that was probably because I was getting too nervous and stuff. Then Eternal Meek because, well, fucking randomness. Down to 1/4, I couldn't focus at all during Remilia. And the rest is history.

Really, if only RemiuB's bomb was a bit stronger (or longer, either one), I'd have a chance.

*To those who would say "don't waste garbage runs", I say don't bother talking. Experience has taught me otherwise here.

nintendonut888

« Reply #286 on: July 22, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
Don't worry. You'll mess up at survival card when the time comes.

Second 1DNB happened because of a careless clip on the last 10 seconds of Dipper Creeping close. :|

Actually you know what, you're right; I can screw up closer to the time limit than that. :P

Drake

« Reply #287 on: July 22, 2010, 05:54:07 AM »
I am now convinced that the glowing properties of any bullet moving at least somewhat fast interferes with my ability to read even their individual trajectories. [...] any glowing bullet that's not reasonably slow appears too vaguely defined for me to adequately judge and dodge. Never mind the fact that all bullets moving at decent speeds already appear to have choppy movements by virtue of the games running at a measly 60 FPS.
My point is that limiting a moving object to only 60 different positions per second means that quickly covering a lot of ground will produce what appears to be a "skipping" or otherwise "not smooth" motion as it travels (even though it is technically still traveling in a straight line or whatever motion it's programmed to have). This limit in the amount of positions a fast bullet can have is the reason you see things like Aya getting inside one of Suwako's iron rings in DS (two fast-moving objects appear to skip over each other).
CLIPPED [...] Really, if only RemiuB's bomb was a bit stronger (or longer, either one), I'd have a chance. To those who would say "don't waste garbage runs", I say don't bother talking. Experience has taught me otherwise here.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #288 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
Yeah, try saying that to everyone else who posts in this thread while you're at it.

Drake

« Reply #289 on: July 22, 2010, 06:05:13 AM »
I think you currently require more attention than everyone else who posts in this thread.

Lord Phantasm Satori

• Permabanned
  • RIP 7/21/2010-9/10/2010
« Reply #290 on: July 22, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »
well, I was kinda sad when I realised that I'm terrible at touhou games, I have a difficult time on easy. (perhaps due to my ADD, I can't focus on the player for the whole time)

and its also sad the lack of attention Satori is getting. both in gensyoko and the fanbase.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
I have ADHD but I am fine at playing touhou

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
I think you currently require more attention than everyone else who posts in this thread.
Then hop to it, why don't you? Simply complaining about me raging in a rage thread won't cut it, no matter how insane I might sound. If I really do sound that absurd to you, then take my arguments and tear them apart. Make me the laughingstock of MotK or something in the process (yeah masochism :V).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:29:32 PM by Funen1 »

« Reply #293 on: July 22, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Then hop to it, why don't you?

Welp, I'll take this one.

Simply complaining about me raging in a rage thread won't cut it, no matter how insane I might sound.

There is some way I can take this sentence and turn it back on yourself, but I haven't the capacity to think of how to do it right now. Something along the lines of "simply complaining about Touhou games won't make you better," or something like that. Whatever, let's move on to your arguments, shall we?

Yes, it's supposed to run at 60 FPS. Everyone and their mother knows that. My point is that limiting a moving object to only 60 different positions per second means that quickly covering a lot of ground will produce what appears to be a "skipping" or otherwise "not smooth" motion as it travels (even though it is technically still traveling in a straight line or whatever motion it's programmed to have). This limit in the amount of positions a fast bullet can have is the reason you see things like Aya getting inside one of Suwako's iron rings in DS (two fast-moving objects appear to skip over each other).

Might as well quote the whole thing. First of all, everything in the game is processed at 60 frames per second, since everything in the game needs to be updated at 60 frames per second, not just collision detection or movement. Going for higher FPS rates means you have less time to process absolutely everything, and you can't expect everybody to have amazing computers that are able to do this. Calculating collision around a circle (or rectangle as the case may have it) takes a decent amount of processing power, especially since you may have to check over 2000 points on the screen at any given time, all in less than 1/60th of a second. That's a lot of shit to check, even moreso since you then have to move through all the other logic in the game, the player code, boss movements, drawing algorithms, etc., all in that same time. Collision detection with a line segment is a lot heavier than collision around a circle/rectangle, which is what you would have to do if you wanted to detect if something collided with the space between the bullet's position in the last frame and the bullet's position in the current frame. It's simply not feasible, even at lower frame rates, to do so many calculations in such a short period of time, and expect most computers to be able to handle it. So the games will only perform the rectangle/circle collision detection, but do it so many times per second that it is extremely unlikely that anything will skip over something else. 60 FPS is a happy medium between this feasible collision detection threshold and limiting how much you can do in one frame. Older games could get away with lower FPS rates since the hitboxes were so much larger for the most part, so the likelyhood of something completely skipping over something else was even lower. It should be noted that bullets completely skipping over you is extremely unlikely, since 60fps is fast enough to detect these collisions 99.999% of the time. Even so, bullets skipping over you is basically your advantage, and shows why these games are extremely biased in your favor and why words like "clipped" mean absolutely nothing. The bullets have to fucking nail you, this proves it.

Let's continue on with basically the same argument...

I am now convinced that the glowing properties of any bullet moving at least somewhat fast interferes with my ability to read even their individual trajectories. This isn't just the bullets blending into each other anymore - any glowing bullet that's not reasonably slow appears too vaguely defined for me to adequately judge and dodge. Never mind the fact that all bullets moving at decent speeds already appear to have choppy movements by virtue of the games running at a measly 60 FPS.

As somebody has already mentioned a little earlier, modern computer monitors have (usually fixed) refresh rates of 60hz, meaning that it will only display stuff every 1/60th of a second. Some monitors allow you to hit 75hz for whatever reason, but most of the time it's either 60 or 75 hertz. A monitor with a higher refresh rate would be extremely expensive, since it has to be able to draw that much quicker to display all the information correctly. Not only that, but the higher the resolution, the less feasible it is to have a higher refresh rate, since the monitor will have so much more shit to draw in even less time. So, to help curb really expensive monitors, they usually have a contant refresh rate that everybody can base their stuff around... This being 60hz, since the human eye has trouble perceiving information at higher rates, particularly non-grayscale information. My point with this is, if shmups ran at higher FPS rates, there would be frames calculated that serve absolutely no purpose, since you will never see them because of the monitor's refresh rate. Games that allow infinite fps rates serve no real purpose other than bragging rights, since if they ran at 800fps, but your monitor only displays 60 things a second, there are so many wasted frames that your monitor will just never draw and that you will never see.

How does this come back to you? You complain that Touhou only draws stuff at 60 FPS and that isn't fast enough. Disregarding the fact your eyes can't perceive things much, if at all faster, you never really have the chance to anyway. Most monitors will only display stuff at 60hz, so all those games that run at extremely high FPS rates won't display things any faster than Touhou running at 60. Your argument is completely invalid.

*To those who would say "don't waste garbage runs", I say don't bother talking. Experience has taught me otherwise here.

Yet here you are, making up foolish excuses as to why you're failing. Don't waste garbage runs.

Bananamatic

« Reply #294 on: July 22, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »
Wait, why are we going into such technical details over a shmup

if you are failing, dodge better
that's all

« Reply #295 on: July 22, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
if you are failing, dodge better
that's all

Pretty much what this all boils down to, in all honesty.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #296 on: July 22, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
I am now convinced that the glowing properties of any bullet moving at least somewhat fast interferes with my ability to read even their individual trajectories. This isn't just the bullets blending into each other anymore - any glowing bullet that's not reasonably slow appears too vaguely defined for me to adequately judge and dodge. Never mind the fact that all bullets moving at decent speeds already appear to have choppy movements by virtue of the games running at a measly 60 FPS.

If you mean midboss Nazrin spell card as well as Shou 1st and last card, I can`t agree more. By the time the bullets stop being just a freaking glowing line, they suddenly start accelerating to make reading their paths almost impossible, beucase you have to focus on all directions around your character. I prefer bosses like Youmu, where reading paths is much more important than reflexes. I can`t agree about 60 FPS not being enough, though. Human eye doesn`t even need that much - I play MoF and later games with 1/2 frameskip to avoid severe slowdown on my computer (even then FPS sometimes drop below 60, which in reality is 30 due to frameskip). The fact that I suck a lot more in MoF and later games is kinda suspicious, though  :derp:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:34:53 PM by Critz »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #297 on: July 22, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »
I remained cautious talking about FPS, namely because I didn't know too much about it. Your details are very helpful. I'm not necessarily complaining about Touhou not running fast enough, it's something that for some unknown reason I forgot to mention before (and I deeply apologize for the confusion I know I caused). The reason I have so much trouble reading fast-moving glowing bullets is that they literally hurt my eyes. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, and I really, really, really wish this wasn't the case, but that's the way it is for me. It's a personal complaint in all honesty. I'm assuming no one else here experiences this either.

Also, I mentioned Suwako's iron ring attack more to give an example how the 60 FPS rate can affect you. You are right though, something like that does benefit the player, even if it feels kind of unorthodox (never mind that only a few characters can consistently take advantage of it).

My experiences with dying early in 1cc runs is why I'm so adamant about it. A majority of my successful 1ccs across all difficulties (the lower ones back when I was newer, of course) finished with really low resources (i.e. 0 or 1 lives). I've also had many more 1cc attempts than I'd like failing close to the end because I died early, again across all difficulties. I've heard many stories here about people not giving up garbage runs and succeeding, and that's fine. The reason why I prefer to perform well early is that it can make a difference - it doesn't have to happen often, only present a relatively easy opportunity to help maximize my chances. That's just my take on it.

Something along the lines of "simply complaining about Touhou games won't make you better," or something like that.
I'd say the concept's good enough to get to me, even though I was trying to make a different point. This series of threads is meant for people to share whatever is making them angry while playing Touhou (from personal mistakes to what flaws some games do have). That's why I said I wanted Drake to do something more than what seemed like disagreeing with at least part of the purpose of a rage thread.

EDIT:
If you mean midboss Nazrin spell card as well as Shou 1st and last card, I can`t agree more.
I actually meant cards like Guerilla Typhoon. Nazrin and Shou's cards that you mentioned are slow enough for this to not be an issue. They have some measure of additive blending (not that serious either), but that's a different point.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:58:21 PM by Funen1 »

Bananamatic

« Reply #298 on: July 22, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I'll say it again
on my IN 1cc, I deathbombed against Wriggle and died against Mystia
of course, Keine was equally horrible

Drake

« Reply #299 on: July 22, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »
Well, now that you've posted my post will probably have less of an impacted effect when coupled with Naut's, but whatever.

I am now convinced that the glowing properties of any bullet moving at least somewhat fast interferes with my ability to read even their individual trajectories. [...] any glowing bullet that's not reasonably slow appears too vaguely defined for me to adequately judge and dodge.
If you mean midboss Nazrin spell card as well as Shou 1st and last card, I can`t agree more. By the time the bullets stop being just a freaking glowing line, they suddenly start accelerating to make reading their paths almost impossible, beucase you have to focus on all directions around your character. I prefer bosses like Youmu, where reading paths is much more important than reflexes.

This is also inexcusable. First of all, any and all inability to read where the bullets are going is primarily your fault. React better, plain and simple. Trajectory of any round bullet in Touhou games do not affect how they are drawn, and as such the only thing extra ambiguous about these bullets is the simple animation. In any case, the movement during the animation should not be extreme enough to disrupt your perception of where said bullet is. Once again, the only fault here is your own, whether or not you have a harder time reading it. Even if the only problem is that the bullets hurt your eyes, this is still more of your fault than the game's. Put on sunglasses or some shit.
In the case of the specific patterns mentioned, they are all static. There is a simple offset in Nazrin's midboss card if I recall correctly, but all three of these attacks are perfectly static. If anything, complain about the latter half of Stage 5 because it's unanimously agreed that it sucks balls.

In shmups, dodging is dodging. Whether you have to pathfind or react on reflexes, it is only different methods to approach the same result. Using only reflexes or only pathfinding would be incredibly boring, this is why shmups include a combination of the two, along with streaming. A bullet hell game where you use only one dodging strategy has bad design. The purpose is to throw anything they can at you to kill you without being humanly unfair (and even then the border is frail and is passed often). You want pathfinding in your shmup? Go solve a fucking maze or two.

I can`t agree about 60 FPS not being enough, though. Human eye doesn`t even need that much - I play MoF and later games with 1/2 frameskip to avoid severe slowdown on my computer (even then FPS sometimes drop below 60, which in reality is 30 due to frameskip). The fact that I suck a lot more in MoF and later games is kinda suspicious, though  :derp:
Playing at 30fps is actually enough of a detriment to hinder your playing ability on higher difficulties. Therefore the drop in drawing rate could be attributed to your failure, but it is known that because of the engine there is quite a difference in how the games are played. Many agree that the later games are somewhat harder.

Really, if only RemiuB's bomb was a bit stronger (or longer, either one), I'd have a chance.
I don't even know how to respond to this. Just what the shit man.

Funen, what bugs me the most about you is that you don't seem to realize that your constant whining about how the games work, and refusal to believe that you're at fault for any and all shortcomings is the reason you are not getting any better and continuously fail. Upon which you come back here and whine more and say your skills have plateau'd, Touhou is getting boring to you, you should take yet another break and stuff like that. You're unlike Banana's who purely bitches for the sake of bitching, and instead you blame the game at any possible moment for just not being able to beat it. You have this crazy backwards attitude about the games; this is why you suck at Touhou, and why you might continue to suck at Touhou.