Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151834 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #210 on: July 11, 2010, 04:50:31 AM »
4cc'd that Gengetu script I like to play after downloading Naut's UFO Sanae shot-types.

I pressed the wrong button and Fraps didn't record it.

X(
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2010, 04:53:52 AM »

Reimu B. Collected my UFOs incorrectly for the post-Nue big blue, lost out on about 120 mil. Bombed on this. Bombed on this. You can imagine the rest of the fight went swimmingly. Ended on Magic Milky Way.

I swear if this decent score squandering pattern continues...

4cc'd that Gengetu script I like to play after downloading Naut's UFO Sanae shot-types.

: D

D :

Udongein

« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
EoSD Hard attempt ended by pre-Midboss Sakuya Nameless Fairy on stage 6.

Eh.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »

X(
Play with Ketsui Reimu.

« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
Random IN Hard Sakuya run got stopped by Life Spring Infinity... good thing I was very confident on Hourai Jewel  ::) Solo humans are twisted fun.

I didn't expect this to be so hard as I can do it with Reimu, and I didn't expect Sakuya to be that much worse... oh boy. Keine was a breeze surprisingly, but everything from then on turned into a bombing contest. Highlights include entering stage 4 6/0 and leaving 2/3 despite an extend, and pulling off a one-bomb deathbomb against Reisen...

« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »

How the frag do people get point item values that high? I mean, collecting a token whilst there's a UFO token on the screen adds 1,000 to it, but you're 30k over the starting value.  ???
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

nintendonut888

« Reply #216 on: July 11, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
Play with Ketsui Reimu.

See, until I downloaded the Sanae shot types I used the Ketsui shot types, but they have a crippling flaw: They have something like a .01 second deathbomb time to emulate Cave games as much as possible. You may see why I could never get any decent runs with them. :P
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
How the frag do people get point item values that high? I mean, collecting a token whilst there's a UFO token on the screen adds 1,000 to it, but you're 30k over the starting value.  ???

It's picking up tokens for the most part, yes, and you want to hold off summoning UFOs for as long as possible so you can grab several tokens at the same time... and you want Rainbow UFOs for a good part of the game to get extra tokens (it'd be more enlightening to see a replay for "proper" UFO chaining). The point value also goes up by +10 for every 10 bullets you graze or cancel, which is how the very top players can reach even higher point values.

Of course, I'm still trying to break the billion mark on Normal for good myself... Lunatic? Hah

« Reply #218 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »

Over thirty "wasted" UFOs...  :derp:
Spoiler:
I screwed up UFO collecting in this run so my point value is 5-6k less than it should be for my route.

Scoring really takes a toll on your resources in UFO. I love it.

« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2010, 11:15:58 PM »
Shou. All of her. Both Lunatic and Hard.

Nazrin is too cute to get angry at, and she even looks cuter on Stage 5.

Oh, and the yin-yang orbs on UFO Stage 5. Have some sort of idea as to how dodge the bullets without having to bomb, but still...

In other news, got to UFO Stage 6 on Lunatic and was just trying to unlock it for practice. But then, after pausing the game during the Byakuren fight, somehow character movement gets stuck to the right.

« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »
You know what sucks?

When you beat your high score and aren't satisfied because you missed practically infinite points.

Edit: OMFG just failed Flying Fantastica on EASY.  :fail:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:20:37 AM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »
Fuck Sakuya. Fuck her right in her wall-launching, shitty-hitboxed-knife-spamming ass. She is why EoSD sucks.

« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »
She's fairer than Patchouli or Remilia is, only things that you can really call BS on it are the second nonspell and Killing Doll, and even those can be consistently done by a good player. I just completely suck at the fight. I still somehow managed to get screwed by Jack the Ludo Bile on my 1cc and somehow captured Killing Doll on it.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2010, 03:30:20 AM »
Sakuya isn't that bad for me.
I think the only wtf spell is Killing Doll lunatic, which is auto bomb for me.
Oh, and her 1st non-spell can sometimes wall you easily.

ebarrett

« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2010, 05:57:57 AM »
Sure, semi-randomly firing up PoDD and getting to Yumemi with Ellen is obviously good.... but goddamnit that's the thirt time I fail an Ellen run after getting Yumemi down to half a heart, no bombs and no gauge.  :<

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »
Seriously I swear my copy of MoF has 2x-sized hitboxes because none of the other games randomly kill me when barely even in graze range of a bullet and more importantly, none of them do at least 5 times during Aya

« Reply #226 on: July 13, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »
She's fairer than Patchouli or Remilia is

Certainly. Sakuya is probably the best fight in the game. No wall shit, no bubbles, no metal fatigue bullets.

« Reply #227 on: July 13, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
I swear if this decent score squandering pattern continues...

Ahh, how naive I am to think it wouldn't! Missed the post-Nue blue by a long shot, too. 61k point value was pretty cool, would've been a nice post-Nue blue :(

Died on Byakuren's opener... Capped Milky Way, though.

Bananamatic

« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Certainly. Sakuya is probably the best fight in the game. No wall shit, no bubbles, no metal fatigue bullets.
random knives lol

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #229 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »
I don't know why I suck at watching bullets and UFO at the same time so much. I can beat some games on hard and can't even consistently 1cc beyond stage 3 on normal in UFO.  :(

Seriously though, if I beat Koishi (which I haven't really gave any serious tries yet) berfore I can consistently get past stage 4, I think I'm just going to yoink someone's record file, try to beat UFO's extra, and ignore the main stages forever.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, Scarlet Gensokyo (on hard) hates me. Of the few times I got close to capturing it, once had me dying just as Remilia is blowing up, once Remilia sent down one of her walls seconds away from being defeated. once a bullet split out of a nearby wall and killed me. I've captured Scarlet Meister more times than I have on Scarlet Gensokyo...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:38:22 AM by RegalStar »

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #231 on: July 14, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
EoSD Stage 6 lunatic
oh WHY do I suck so much using Marisa A? Seriously.
Switched back to Marisa B and easily cleared it with lives to spare. :V

edit:
Then tried Marisa B lunatic run.
HOW DID I FUCKING MISS 10 TIMES BEFORE MEILING?
Why do I always screw up so easily? I KNOW I can no death Stage 1-3. I've DONE it multiple times.
Yet after all these months of playing, I still can't... get a decent lunatic run reliably... AARRH
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:12:48 AM by jsonchiu »

Drake

« Reply #232 on: July 14, 2010, 03:41:42 AM »
misses != deaths

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
So I'm having my best run of PCB hard ever. Everything has gone right apart from losing a border on Douman-Seiman. Even Stage 4 went fantastically well, and I'm mathematically certain to get the 1200pt item life with a cherrymax higher than I've ever had. My goal of 1 billion points looked all but sown up.

Get to Youmu. Bomb Flashing Slash after I get into a bad position by accident. No biggy, I'm 8/1, it's all good.

Then I clipdeath Approaching Disillusion. It was either literally the edge of my hitbox or input lag, I can't remember. But it's cool, I've got tons of lives left, plenty of resource points. I'm good, I can do this. (1 death)

Then I die on Seven Sins as well because my post-border immunity decides to just not exist for once. Bit shaken. (2 deaths)

I need to spend two bombs to get through the rapewall, one of which was a focus bomb, so combined with the two deaths mean the 100+ point items aren't worth nearly as much as they should be. So I have one bomb left for Ageless Obsess...Oh, I died there too. (3 deaths)

I then border break Yuyuko's first non spell.
FAIL LOST SOUL'S VILLAGE.
Somehow capture deadly dance.
Die to the knives. (4 deaths)
Fuck up the cherry on the knives so I don't get a border at the start of Flowery Soul.
MESS UP COLLECTING POWER ITEMS AND HAVE 127 POWER WITH THE REMAINDER FALLING OFF SCREEN. It gets better.
I THEN DIE ON YUYUKO'S FOURTH NON-SPELL. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUU (5 deaths)
Fight absolute, unrelenting urge to ragequit.
Capture repository with 1 second left.
Bomb Sumizome a couple of times
Cap Res Butterfly.

Finish 4/2, score adds up, I don't even break 900 million. Joypad gets thrown.
Unbelievably disgusted. At least it's not as bad as Imperishable Night where the last 90 seconds of the game are worth 400 million points by themselves, but failing the simplest of crap and missing my goal because of it just makes me feel horrible.
Quote from Myosotis:

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
why do I still play these games

the only thing that's left that's any fun is SA, but I derp too hard to really enjoy that

then there's tHRtP, which is silly

PoDD, which is FRIGGIN' RETARDED

and UFO, which I loathe utterly

seriously argh

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #235 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:07 PM »
why do I still play these games
stuff
seriously argh
You play them with the intention of improving and the eventual hope that you'll overcome UFO Lunatic.

theshirn

« Reply #236 on: July 14, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
You play them with the intention of improving and the eventual hope that you'll overcome UFO Lunatic.
Maybe right on the first half.  I don't play UFO anymore.  I probably won't for quite some time.  Despite all my efforts to enjoy the game, I still cannot take any pleasure in playing it.

Also that was the most derptastic Suwako run in a LONG time.  I think the only captures were Long-Arm and Long-Leg and Frog is Eaten by Snake Due to Croak (sorry, I love that name too much to use the patch's version).  Game over on Suwa War.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #237 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »
Honest Man`s fucking death...just, what the hell, Zun? I have an idea how to dodge that, but...

Also...http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9479 :D
Thanks people. I wouldn`t do it without your help...Yeah, kind of a border fluke but this wasn`t my luckiest run either. Actually I lost once very close to the end, but then I had the urge to unlock SakuyaB and switch to her from SakuyaA. Won on my first try with her 0_0.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:36:41 PM by Critz »

theshirn

« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
Honest Man`s fucking death...just, what the hell, Zun. I have an idea how to dodge that, but...
Go through the laser.

nintendonut888

« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »
What theshim said. See, a property of IN lasers is that they aren't "activated" until they reach maximum power. The laser on Honest Man's Death is timed to activate once is reaches the point you are at when it is fired. Therefore, by moving towards where the laser was fired, you will be in an area where it is still reaching maximum power and it will pass harmlessly over you.

Just thought you'd be more confident with a technical analysis. Knowing the lasers have this property is also useful for attacks like Kaguya's second and fourth spell cards.