Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 151826 times)

MTSranger

• =.=
Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
"c'mon, dodge one more pixel to the left and you're clear"
"FUCK"

This sums up my experience with SA.

It's even worse if it happens in Subterranean Sun when the boss is exploding (I didn't know it still sucks you in)...
Okuu's 1st card is $&^$% as well, requiring you to dash halfway across the screen precisely,
and her 4th card requires a lot of precision to fit between 2 bullets that are practically touching each other.

Satori's non-spells, BoWaP, Ghost Wheels, Midboss Orin S4, Okuu's 1st and final card etc.
Depends on the difficulty though. I find S4 Orin and Satori not bad on normal.
S5 and S6 (Orin/Okuu) on the other hand, :V clip clip clip

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
Okay, so I've heard people say that playing StB improved their skills. Someone please tell me if DS is not supposed to do that. Because I go back to the regular shooters after playing DS for a while, and I find myself significantly worse than before. Considering controls, yes that's expected, since Aya's controls are different. But why the fuck did my reading skills deteriorate too? It felt like I had taken a full break from Touhou, instead of just playing a related game. I lost my ability to read the lasers in Magic Milky Way, for crying out loud. And that card's not even hard.

Obligatory RNG complaints go here too. The walls in Moses' Miracle just steadily closed in on me until I was crushed. And I'm not exaggerating it either. I'm still in shock at how well "executed" that was. Had no chance to get out whatsoever. Is there seriously no one else here that hates seeing something like this happen to them?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
Okay, so I've heard people say that playing StB improved their skills.
Someone please tell me if DS is not supposed to do that.

I find it the other way around. Playing stuff like lunatic improves my skills for StB.
Like when I first touched StB, I couldn't get pass stage 2, and so I give up for a while.
Then, every couple of months, when I go back to try StB for a bit of fun,
I clear a couple more stages/scenes without much effort, while they felt like impossible previously.

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:54 AM »
I lost my ability to read the lasers in Magic Milky Way, for crying out loud. And that card's not even hard.

I think I just cried a little, inside.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2010, 03:58:55 AM »
The Hard version, forgot to mention that. And I'm serious, the lasers grew consistently easy to read after a while.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2010, 05:13:17 AM »
Got an urge to play EoSD stage 6.

Game over on Thousand Needle Mountain.

Further proof I need to stop playing for a while. ;^_^
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:08 AM »
Scarlet Gensokyo lunatic is freaking EVIL
WHY, after having been playing that stage for 6 months, am I still unable to dodge its semi-walls?

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:09 AM »
Obligatory RNG complaints go here too. The walls in Moses' Miracle just steadily closed in on me until I was crushed. And I'm not exaggerating it either. I'm still in shock at how well "executed" that was. Had no chance to get out whatsoever. Is there seriously no one else here that hates seeing something like this happen to them?

I'd like to see a replay of getting walled at Moses Miracle.

But i agree. its not nice when ZUN's RNG's decide to kill you.

GenericTouhouFailure

• WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT CALLED UNL? *boom*
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
God dammit Y cant I perfect stage 3 normal.
I mean ITS FREAKING NORMAL mode.
and I bomb like 99999999 times on the stupid stuff.

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
I can't time out Hinas midboss card - lunatic. I got to 2 seconds left on my 10th try, and after another 80 tries or so my best was 7 seconds left. Nothing else came even close to that.

edit: I figured out a strategy to beat it after like 200 attempts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:06:31 AM by 633IDK »
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »
One-death run of EoSD Stage 5 Lunatic.

Why is this in the rage/despair thread?

The death happened as Sakuya was exploding.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »

It's not that hard... Though I don't know the significance of faster stars on Lunatic.

Aside from timing it out no horizontal on Normal, I captured the hard mode version on my first try. No horizontal.

Buuut... HOW DID I FAIL TWO SA 1CC'S? ON NORMAL...

god I need to stop using Patch Earth during Utsuho's last card.

Udongein

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »
Fucking fuck.
UFO Extra is pissing me off soo much right now.
I finally get past Red UFOs after somehow failing that card repeatedly every run so far, and what do I go and do?
Fuck up Blue UFOs.
ARGH.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:06 AM »
Mima is such a terrible fight. I'd have perfected this a long time ago if it weren't for the stupidity in her fourth phase.

EDIT: 73 minutes of non-stop attempts, five 1DNB runs to show for it. I think I've figured out everything that needs to be done at this point, but some luck factors still need to fall into place and her last phase bullets need to stop being so terribly designed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:18:18 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
Fucking fuck.
UFO Extra is pissing me off soo much right now.

THIS FUCKING RAGE INDUCING STAGE.
400+ attempts. Made it to Kogasa 90 times. Made it to Nue 30 times. Made it to survival ONCE. Never cleared it.
How the hell is Nue supposed to be easy? Even Flandre is way easier, and Koishi is not this bad.

« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
RadLinker is a pretty cool program. Eh removes the input lag from any non-Touhou doujin and ain't afraid of anything.
So yeah, it's pretty much a v-sync patch for everything non Touhou.
I haven't really tested it on MoF phantasm yet though.

Follow the instructions from Azinth's post.

I tried downloading RadLinker but Azinths post doesn't really say much about how to use it. I download the program and install it which adds a Create Radlink and Custom Settings.

Create Radlink ads an option that doesn't seem to do anything and i don't get what Custom Settings means. It adds some file but how to change that and use it i don't understand. I'll continue looking into this because i really want to give MoF Phantasm a proper chance.

EDIT:

Even though playing it with these controls give me the indication that the game is flamingly awful. I have seen multiple instances of the game downright ignoring my input and input lag makes any advanced dodge maneuver IMPOSSIBLE to pull off.

Just take Phantasm Momizi's final spell. The original version of the card was much better because the controls worked. In MoF Phantasm, i can't do anything involving unfocused movement or micrododging. That limits me quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:57:02 PM by Zengeku the Viking »

« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
400+ attempts. Made it to Kogasa 90 times. Made it to Nue 30 times. Made it to survival ONCE. Never cleared it.
How the hell is Nue supposed to be easy? Even Flandre is way easier, and Koishi is not this bad.

Stop restarting the instant you die, use bombs more often and work out a decent UFO path. The stage is difficult-ish but Nue is one of the easiest ex-bosses in the series. Hell, I beat the stage blind so it can't be that hard.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Formless God

« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2010, 04:32:59 PM »
Tbh, I felt input lag in the official games after playing MoF Phantasm for a while :V

« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
Tbh, I felt input lag in the official games after playing MoF Phantasm for a while :V

If you mean to say that the official games have more input lag than MoF Phantasm... you are on the way to destruction. BURN TO THE GROUND. BURN!  :]

Why don't you take this to the Spellcard Help topic? Give us information on what is difficult and we'll help you out.

And i wouldn't classify Nue as being easy by EX boss standards. Just look at Mokou, Yukari and Suwako. How many of their cards are absolute jokes once you work them out? Even Koishi is like this. Nue does offer quite a good selection of decently challenging cards though.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 04:41:25 PM by Zengeku the Viking »

Bananamatic

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
Nue does offer quite a good selection of decently challenging cards though.
if 2 is a good selection, then sure

Formless God

« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »
If you mean to say that the official games have more input lag than MoF Phantasm... you are on the way to destruction. BURN TO THE GROUND. BURN!  :]
Yes that's exactly what I meant :getdown:

« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
if 2 is a good selection, then sure

Flan has QED. That's about it. Maybe Starbow Break.
Yukari has BoLad. That's about it.
Mokou has rings of doom. That's about it.
Suwako has nothing.
Koishi has nothing.

Nues difficulty hugely depend on the character you use. SanaeB and MarisaA have very good benefits against her because they are so good at destroying UFO's. Nue's hard cards are imo: Grudge Bow, Nightmare (suck at memo, have to read, AB bullets in close formation make mess of Zengeku reading), Undefined Darkness (probably only because i'm too lazy to check your video). The rainbow UFO also is a bit intimidating but its not really that hard. It did prove more challenging to me in the past though.

Yes that's exactly what I meant :getdown:

Alright. You'll now have to listen to this for five minutes. Then you'll understand the true meaning of burning to the ground.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
Flan has QED. That's about it. Maybe Starbow Break.
Catadioptric, Maze of Love if you have trouble running it.
Yukari has BoLad. That's about it.
Double Death Butterfly.
Mokou has rings of doom. That's about it.
...alright.  PbP's second phase is easy to screw up, but yeah, entirely doable.
Suwako has nothing.
Suwa War.
Koishi has nothing.
Genetics.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Formless God

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
.Double Death Butterfly

Except that can be trivialized.

« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »
Catadioptric

I can't recall when i failed that last. Even in my early days of when i started getting serious about extra clearing i didn't find that spell very hard.

Maze of Love if you have trouble running it.

I use the trick of standing at the bottom of the screen and micrododging. Its a short sequence of a few taps.

Double Death Butterfly and Genetics.

Pretty easy to me but it might well qualify as a challenging card as it is hard by Extra standard.

[qoute]
Suwa War.
[/quote]

Alright, that might be a little tricky. I don't know any way to consistently capture it but if you get a little lucky at the final seconds its not too bad.

Froggy Braves the Elements.
Rorschach.

Formless points out some cards that i can agree are considerably more difficult than Genetics and Suwa War. I don't really fear any of them but they are certainly tough by EX standard.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
How the hell I fail so hard on PCB Normal when I make it all the way to Ultimate Buddhist in Extra thanks to the awesomeness that is Reimu A? I have to bomb every fucking single of Youmu`s moves.

By the way, what`s the easiest and most efficent way to dodge Princess Tenko -Illusion-? Half of the time I`m still between butterflies when she launches the next attack and a bit too close to dodge incoming wave of bullets...

Drake

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2010, 10:15:25 PM »
Except that can be trivialized.
by what, breaking a border?
lolololol

Critz, you don't rely on ReimuA's homing to get you through stuff. You still need to know how to handle patterns and shit. It's spoiling you, and you're anti-learning how to dodge. Use a straightforward character for a while. Also, post a replay.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
I am ready to strangle something right now

I tried UFO Extra after about 2 weeks of not playing, got to Nue the first run, with 0 lives and 0 bombs...

After about 8 runs I just quit, 6 of those were after Midboss!Kogasa.

Karakasa Surprising Slash is stupid, I died when the laser was DEMATERIALIZING, Kogasa was exploding and as soon as I hit the laser it disappeared.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2010, 10:39:56 PM »