Author Topic: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8  (Read 150572 times)

Re: Touhou Despair Thread - Endless 8
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
I tried to play with a keyboard and died on MoF stage 3.  Normal mode too.  Maybe I'll try it again once I remap my keys.  I understand the benefits of using a keyboard, but it seems really difficult for a person who's been using nothing but sticks and pads to get used to.

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
I just failed another Pacifist run on Ran's timeout phase because she refused to move far enough up for me to be able to actually safespot it.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »
Kanako's opener is so stupid.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ebarrett

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
Why am I so damned inconsistant?! In the same UFO hard run that I perfect KOGASA and SHOU, I make complete derp fests of Ichirin and Murasa, collect a total of ONE bomb in stage 6 and finish 0/1.

I just seem to click in and out of being good enough.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
Grrr... something like nearly 10 lunatic UFO runs today, and I believe I got as far as stage 4 ONCE. Clearly I must be doing something horribly wrong. The game can't be THAT much harder than the rest of them... can it? >.>

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
And a 4th run that failed on the timeout phase because I can't safespot it worth crap. Oh, but I had to go and derp on 2 of the nonspells and 3 times on Unilateral Contact. And I derped on Shikigami Chen.

At least the attempt got something awesome of it, but still Fucking Damn It.

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 12:34:20 AM »
I just failed another Pacifist run on Ran's timeout phase because she refused to move far enough up for me to be able to actually safespot it.
Me too.

7 seconds remaining out of what, 30 minutes? Worst part was how I lost two lives on ... Wizard Fox Thoughts. Out of all the cards I expected to die on, that wasn't one of them. On the plus side, I only used 1 bomb on Charming BS from All Sides.

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »
No bombs pacifist here. It's pretty fucking hard to not screw up like that. I've only gotten close like that 4 times. And all 4 times I made stupid mistakes that ruined it.

I generally expect 1 or 2 deaths on Charming Siege, though I NDNB'd it my last attempt.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:40:44 AM by Enigma »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 01:16:08 AM »
PoDD is basically synonymous with despair.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
PoDD is basically synonymous with despair.

Phantasmagoria of Dim Dreams, indeed. Dim chance of winning, so expecting win is just a dream and definitely leads to despair.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 01:39:46 AM »
Whaaaa?

How did I game over to Ran?

12 bombs used...

1 spellcard captured...

4 point items away from an extend...

SakuyaA sucks so badly for this.

Drake

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
yes

yes she does

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »
I've gotten farther on Perfect Phantasm attempts with SakuyA than I have with any other shottype, so she has to be doing something right. But yeah, SakuyA is pretty bad, but I don't see why you didn't bomb more.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
For what little it's worth, I've always had more success in PCB with SakuyaA than anyone else. >.>

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »
Why bomb more when you can one-death the entire stage using somebody with...
Better Bombs (ReimuB, Marisas, SakuyaB - for the spellcards)
Better Shot (ReimuB, Sakuya B, Marisas)
A shotgun with worthwhile damage (Reimu b, possibly MarisaA)
A spread with actual damage (ReimuB)
A focus bomb that doesn't leave 500 bullets on screen after it's over (everybody but ReimuB, possibly)
The ability to kill stage enemies before they kill you (Marisa has movement speed, Reimu has spread and homing, SakuyaB is fine)

You shouldn't need to bomb 28 times to make a shottype worthwhile. Plus, it's not DURR HURR WHY CAN'T I 1CC PCB NORMAL.

I'm seriously going to skip Sakuya A and move to Marisa B for now while I'm trying to clear Extra with everybody. At least Marisa B is the second strongest at long range.

Actually, I should probably stop trying to stay under a boss so much, since she gets crappy damage no matter where you are.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:08:05 AM by Fox Fanatic »

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2010, 02:56:48 AM »
SakuyaA sucks so badly for this.

actually no, sakuyaa sucks at everything

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2010, 03:00:30 AM »
ReimuA sucks even more though.

And SakuyA is still the best one for surviving a few things, but it's possible with every shot type. The one that comes to mind though is that postmidboss Ran section of Phantasm.

theshirn

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2010, 03:27:08 AM »
killed 4 times by DECISIVE RIKAKO

that's why I don't play Yumemi

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2010, 03:59:43 AM »
Wow. My spellcard history on Yuyuko is just kind of random.

Lost Soul's Village 2/7
Mortality -Dead Butterfly- 0/6
Swallowtail Butterfly 0/6
Repository of Hirokawa 0/5
Sumizome Perfect Blossom 1/4
Ressurection Butterfly 30% Reflowering 0/3

Uh what. How the hell can I do Sumizome Perfect Blossom and not Repository of Hirokawa. Hirokawa is a freaking streaming card. What the heck man. And how have I not captured Ressurection Butterfly, it's a ridiculously easy survival card. AUGH!

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
You know, sometimes I seriously wonder if I've improved at all over months of nearly daily practice. Sure, I've 1cc'd more stuff than I had a couple months ago, but I think that may be more due to persistence than actually getting BETTER at the games, per se. Because it seems that whenever I get tired of bashing my head against my current goal, and go back to do something that I succeeded at ages ago... I'll fail that miserably, too. Things I was capable of beating months ago. It's like all the intervening months of practice accomplished nothing.

Turtlesaur

• rawr
    • home of a KEWNE-type familiar
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
Hey I captured Ripples of QE...

WHERE WAS MY IMMUNITY oh right, EoSD.

theshirn

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
Hey I captured Ripples of QE...
No worries.  Everyone has to die as QED is clearing at least once.  It's like a rite of passage.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
Specially if it's a gameover.
;_;

« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
I've only ever cleared EoSD Extra with MarisA. The closest I've gotten with ReimuB was the QED double KO.

ebarrett

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Almost 700 attempts at a Saigyouji Flawless Nirvana timeout in a span of 8 months, and a gross misread with 23s remaining is still the best I ever did.  :colonveeplusalpha:

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:50 AM »
Ugh. I was able to capture Blind Nightbird with Alice solo, of all shot types, so why is it so hard with Sakuya solo? Maybe I'm out of practice?

Also, SA Normal just doesn't like me at all.  :ohdear:

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2010, 06:01:22 AM »

>3.96/4.00

EDIT:

[16:06]   <Baitikkuri>   i what
[16:07]   <Baitikkuri>   ...
[16:07]   <Baitikkuri>   i probably deserve this for not bombspamming
[16:08]   <Baitikkuri>   my reflexes have betrayed me
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:09:01 AM by Baitikkuri »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
Playing UFO extra and generally having an awesome run, made it past Undefined Darkness with only one death, when angry parents yell at me to clean up the dishes (which I had admittedly forgotten about for a couple hours).  About two minutes after I start playing again, I manage to lose all 5 lives and gameover early into Nue's survival card.

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
Don't you just hate frustrating inconsistency? One run capture Shou's first 3 attacks, and then next run, die twice to every single one of them. Of course, I knew the first one was a total fluke, but still...